Start by marking “Sevek and the Holocaust: The Boy Who Refused to Die” as Want to Read:

Sevek and the Holocaust: The Boy Who Refused to Die

A Unique and Powerful Memoir about a Young Boy's Journey During the Holocaust and His Effort Later to Make Peace With The Past.

Written by Sidney Finkel

Biography - Historical / Self-Published / Paperback / January 2005

Published December 8th 2005 by Sidney Finkel

To ask other readers questions about Sevek and the Holocaust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sevek and the Holocaust

Start your review of Sevek and the Holocaust: The Boy Who Refused to Die
Guided Reading: --
Lexile Level: --
Main Characters: Sevek
POV: 1st person, Sevek
Summary: This is an autobiography of a Holocaust survivor, Sevek Finkelstein, who makes his story known through speaking at schools about his experiences. His story talks about his life before the war when he lived in Poland with his mother, father, sisters and brother. He recounts his experiences of being
Madison
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Book-Sevek by Sidney Finkel,Non fiction
pages:101

Sevek is the true story of Sidney Finkel who survived the holocaust as a child. Sidney grew up with his three sisters and his older brother in Lodz, Poland. His town was bombed and his father decided to move his family all back to his hometown where he thought they would be safe. Sidney and his family ended up in a ghetto and he faced several scary moments and tragetys such as the murder of his oldest sister and her newborn baby boy.

What I liked
Julia Charlotte
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I actually finished this story a few weeks back but forgot to update it on here. I read Sidney's novel for my Spirituality class. I have read holocaust survivor stories before, but I have never felt such a connection while reading about their experience in the camps. I had the honor of meeting Sidney Finkel earlier this month and its an event in my life I will forever cherish and remember. This was a very easy and quick read. I high recommend this to anyone interested in learning about someone ...more
Leslie
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
This was a sobering first-person account of a young Polish boy who survived the horrors of the Holocaust. While his story is not unique, his first-person account and the not very edited prose made his story very compelling. A quick read and one that would be a great one for children to read to understand what happened.
Carol
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was able to read tis book and then hear the author give a presentation to Middle School students. What a great experience. This book is great for this age group and helps them to understand what he went through.
Barbaraleah
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very concise, quick moving telling of Sevek's Holocaust experiences. This is well written and despite being short, it is detailed. I would consider using it in lieu of Night - just to give some variety. I recommend it.
Draper
May 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book teaches courage and hope. I love it.
Patricia Moran
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was amazing. He had come to my school when I was in sixth grade and I got a copy signed. I didn't read it until two years later and I don't know why I waited so long.
Pam
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sevek and the Holocaust: The Boy Who Refused to Die is written by Sidney Finkel. It wasn’t until almost 50 years after the Holocaust that he even thought of telling his story. It was only at the instigation of his granddaughter that he told her his story. Much of his story was vague as he was only eight when the war broke out and he didn’t remember many things. Also, some things were a blank because his mind simply blocked those memories. At several times in his book, he quotes others who were ...more
Kami Hopper
Dec 13, 2018
Don
Jan 19, 2012
Joshua Penrod
rated it did not like it
Apr 18, 2016