Start by marking “La stanza delle serpi (una serie di sfortunati eventi, #2)” as Want to Read:
La stanza delle serpi (una serie di sfortunati eventi, #2)

La stanza delle serpi (A Series of Unfortunate Events #2)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  153,272 Ratings  ·  5,486 Reviews
La vicenda di questo libro può apparire lieta all'inizio, con i ragazzi Baudelaire in compagnia di alcuni rettili molto interessanti e di uno zio svampito, ma non lasciatevi ingannare. Se avete sentito parlare degli sfortunati ragazzi Baudelaire, sapete già che anche eventi gradevoli possono condurre sulla via della sventura. Infatti, nelle pagine seguenti i ragazzi si imb ...more
Published April 2000 by Salani (first published August 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about La stanza delle serpi, please sign up.
Jess Yes. I don't know what these other people are trying to tell you, but the world is very hard for orphans.
Kelly Pontes I feel like all the ones we've read to date are a similar formula and style. I don't love the series and it is quite morbid and violent for children…moreI feel like all the ones we've read to date are a similar formula and style. I don't love the series and it is quite morbid and violent for children (people die vs being incapacitated or having silly accidents) but my son (9) does so we are chugging through them for our bedtime reading. I like the way they weave definitions of advanced vocabulary into the story, which allows my younger child to also listen in. I am also glad Sunny's vocab is evolving. Not sure why she didn't make sounds similar to the words she intended in the first place... (less)

Kat O'Keeffe
These are fast reads, and I'm really invested in the overarching story, but I know I would've liked these so much more as a kid! As an adult they're enjoyable--they're darker than expected, and there's enough cleverness throughout to keep me engaged. But I'm finding myself frustrated with some aspects, like the communication failures between the kids and the adults, and the constant defining of words, which is sometimes really fun, but at other times just feels patronizing.

Overall, though, I am
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
*I'm not going to rate this, because I've already read this book & stand by my first rating of it.

Even though I've read this series before & I know how unfortunate this story is, it was hard to remember all the details & everything the Baudelaire orphans go through. It seems that every time they're shown a glimmer of hope, it's taken away from them. The relationship between the siblings is incredibly beautiful. They make an unstoppable team & they each pull their weight when nee
Riley
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While re-reading this series my main question is why the hell is an incompetent banker the only adult helping these children. Like where are the police or social workers????
C.G. Drews
As the good little fan of Lemony Snicket I am, I've decided to reread THEM ALL because I'm watching the Netflix show. And by "good little fan" here I mean "a rabidly obsessed grape who is flailing unnaturally enthusiastically at all hours because loves this series so much."

So this is a reread! I was about 13 when I was first reading this series! And 10 years later and I still adore it to pieces!

Although I admit this one isn't as good as the first one, just because Violet's invention was a really
Mark Lawrence
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, Celyn and I cruised on to book 2, pausing only for breath.

This book sets a pattern, a formula, that is repeated in each of the books we've read so far.

The children move to a new place.

All the adults are idiots.

Count Olaaf arrives in disguise and at some point a selected member of his theatre troop will show up, also in disguise (someone may have been bumped off to make space for one or both of them).

The children see through his disguise in an instant.

The adults don't believe them.

Count Ol
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I love this book a lot more than the first one. I think the first book is just introduction to characters, and this one Violet especially begins to establish herself as a character which I LOVE. Also, this one remains one of the most upsetting. I'm excited to see some of these moments play out in the show (which we can now watch?? Oh my god??) because I think they have the potential to be really fun to see on screen. Onto book 3!
emma
I love Uncle Monty.

I love Uncle Monty. I love his coconut cake. I love the Incredibly Deadly Viper. I love the movie theater and the popcorn and Zombies in the Snow; I love Monty’s house and his shaped shrubs and his plans to voyage to Peru.

I love the Reptile Room (the place) and I love The Reptile Room (the book).

It is unusual for me to be so teeming with love. I’m not well adjusted to it. I may overdose, or my body might reject the chemical reaction in my brain, or something. BUT I LOVE THIS B
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I liked this book better than the first just because I loved how Uncle Monty was with the kids. Uncle Monty was a great character too. But alas . . .

And I adored Sunny's relationship with the Incredibly Deadly Viper! The end was sad of course!
Josu Grilli
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-1-marzo
Una notable mejora respecto al primero.

En La habitación de los reptiles (¡que por fin se están publicando en español de nuevo!) podemos encontrar aparte de una edición preciosa y que te dan ganas de abrazar, una historia más compleja que la primera parte de esta saga.

Mi mayor queja respecto a la primera entrega fue que los conflictos sucedían demasiado rápido, que no apenas había tensión dramática y que el mundo se quedaba sin definir. Sin embargo, en esta segunda entrega todas las cosas de las
Matteo Fumagalli
VIDEORECENSIONE:

"La morte di una persona casa è una strana cosa. Noi tutti sappiamo che il nostro tempo in questo mondo è limitato, e che alla fine ci ritroveremo tutti sotto un lenzuolo per non rialzarci più. E tuttavia è sempre una sorpresa quando succede a qualcuno che conosciamo. È come quando saliamo le scale al buio per andare a casa e pensiamo che ci sia un altro gradino, e invece non c'è. Il piede ricade pesantemente nell'aria, e c'è un momento di spiacevole s
Sam Quixote
Wow, this series tanked hard - and so damn soon after a great first book! I kinda expected it to dip in quality gradually, like every series does at some point, but so quickly and by so much in just the second book? That’s impressive!

So the orphaned Baudelaire children, Violet, Klaus and Sunny, are sent to a new distant relative to stay with. This time it’s their Uncle Monty, who’s a herpetologist (a scientist who studies amphibians/reptiles). Then Count Olaf appears and the same charade from t
Mohammed Arabey
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a cool, cloudy gray grim day...
It's 25th January.. well..it reminds me with the event that triggered all the Series of Unfortunate Events, that increased for many of us lately...
One of them, I read this book now in ebook format.. since all the book stores increased the prices cause of foreign currency crisis.. The book store that used to give us huge discounts as source of happiness for many changed its policy dramatically.. and other one closed all branches in my city...

Well, as I said i
Kate (GirlReading)
This series is already frustrating me so much. Why does no one listen to the kids? How is Mr. Poe allowed any responsibility? How is Mr. Poe so entirely incompetent? How can I stop becoming physically tense with infuriation every time Mr. Poe is mentioned?
Will these kids ever get a break?
Is the next book going to terrify me half to death like the movie did? (It's the leeches isn't it? It has to be the leeches. I'm certain the leeches must be coming...) I'm infuriated, addicted and loving it. I
Kennia
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*first read Jan 21*

#RYBSAT seriously though, the ending to each book in The Series of Unfortunate Events makes me cry! This ending tore my heart!
Each book only gets better. I probably loved this one more than The Bad Beginning, if that's even possible. I have to say, Sunny had her shinning moments in this book and is quickly becoming my favorite character! She's just so adorable!

Mr. Snicket's commentary throughout this book was awesome and so hilarious! And his writing is so poetically magnific
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2017, ebook, childrens
3.5ish Stars.

I was actually liking this one a lot more than the first one right up until the unfortunate event. The unfortunate event was indeed unfortunate but that's not what made me stop liking it as much. I felt it got kind of boring and it dragged out. I did still love the writing and the majority of the storytelling though.

What I found interesting though is how this Lemony Snicket storyteller keeps explaining words to his readers when in the story the adults do it but the children always
Amber Robertson
These books are such fast reads! They also take me back to when I first read them in my last year of primary school, when life was much easier. However, reading the unfortunate events of Sunny, Klaus and Violet's life always makes my life a little better - as horrific as that is.

The children face yet again more trials in The Reptile Room, while fearing Count Olaf. There is no foreshadowing as the author tells you directly who is going to die etc.

Ultimately, these books are just fast reads and
Brendon Schrodinger
In this second volume, the Baudelaire children are sent to stay with another distant relative who is a herpetologist - studies snakes, therefore the reptile room of the title. What proceeds is another adventure of mishaps and contrived situations that see the children triumph, yet not at the same time.

There is nothing new to report here, I felt the same way about this novel as the last - a little bit creeped out, a lot bored. There is the explaining of words, which I do like and the hint of som
Sara Kamjou
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, horror
تو کتاب دوم بدشانسیها تو خونهی جدید هم دست از سر بچهها برنمیداره.
جلد یک رو بیشتر دوست داشتم. ترجیح میدادم نوع بدشانسی آوردن بچهها یه مقدار خلاقانهتر باشه.
----------
یادگاری از کتاب:
یکی از دردناکترین چیزها در زندگی هر کسی، احساس پشیمانی است. اتفاقی برایتان میافتد و کار اشتباهی را انجام میدهید که سالهای سال با خودتان میگویید ای کاش کار دیگری کرده بودم.
...
مرگ کسی که دوستش داریم چیز عجیبی است. همه میدانیم که زندگی ما توی این دنیا محدود است و بالاخره یک روز، عمرمان تمام میشود و ملافهای رویمان میکشند ک
Vanz
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
4.3

An improvement compared to the first book, although it was basically the same life lessons. This was another quick read and I really loved the storyline of this one. Violet once again shows her cunning knowledge in tools and devices, Klaus's bookish personality saved their lives, and the adorable Sunny is still that too-mature-to-be-an-infant baby. Count Olaf's Stephano disguise was really funny and ridiculous as well! (view spoiler)
Coreen  (AsThePlotThickens)
"If one's safety is threatened, one often finds courage one didn't know one had."

I like this book better than the first one. Count Olaf took the next step in pursuing the Baudelaire's treasure and it was fun!
I can't help but be frustrated when no one believes the children even though they were telling the truth, but where's the fun if they did believe them right away, right?
Violet, Kalaus and Sunny are one of a kind, their sibling bond is so sturdy and I don't think any unfortunate events ca
Carmen
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
These books are amazing. This book is a little darker than the first. It tells you right from the beginning that Uncle Monty will be killed. Other examples of darkness:

p. 51 ...he would slit the throats of the Baudelaire orphans as easily as you or I might eat a small butter cookie.

p.76 If I wanted to harm you, orphan, your blood would already be pouring down these stairs like a waterfall.

p.88 The hallway was strangely quiet, and blank as the eyes of a skull.

p.96 It is a curious thing, the dea
Dannii Elle
“How did you do that?” Mr. Poe asked. “Nice girls shouldn’t know how to do such things.”
“My sister is a nice girl,” Klaus said, “and she knows how to do all sorts of things.”
Richard Denney
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS!!

description

Finished this is one day! It was a great follow up to the first and was much more dark, dreary, and funny. I also really like snakes, so I enjoyed this one a bit more than the first. When I finished it though I couldn't help but wonder HOW this series goes on to 13 books? you can only drag on the same story line for so long until it gets irritating and boring. I can't promise I'll read all 13 but I will try. Now onto the third!

- Richard
C.W.
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5. Enjoyed this much more than the first one! Uncle Monty is seriously great. I mean, I really just want to see these kids be happy, but I can’t help but wonder how Lemony Snicket can make it worse for them...
Lesley
Aug 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
For anyone who isn't familiar with Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, it's a 13 part children's book series that follows the lives of the three Baudelaire children, Violet, Klaus and Sunny after their parents perish in a fire that destroyed their family home. Cheerful right? Honestly, it's wonderful.

The story is told from the narrative perspective of Lemony Snicket. The concept, the literary devices, the language used are all wholly unique to me. The fact that Daniel Handler create
Alaina Meserole
Count Olaf is back at it again!

Violet, Klaus, and Sunny are here too. They are getting closer and closer to a great future after learning about their parents death. They have a new guardian in their lives, Monty. However, he still seems naive just like every other adult in this series. Then there's Count Olaf who is still trying to take the kids fortune.

Sunny is still my absolute favorite character. She just always makes me laugh no matter what. The kid's got spunk and I will forever love to wa
Tfitoby
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is good light reading to pass away a quiet evening at work. For a grown man such as myself I can't ask for or expect more.

It's an enjoyable sequel filled with all of the same reading pleasures (and all of the same pitfalls for the Baudelaire orphans) as novel the first. I've been reliably informed by Jay that I must read 5 of the same book before things start getting better. When using the term 'getting better' here Jay means 'the plot changes.'

This episode features Uncle Monty and I think
Ashley Daviau
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I distinctly remember this book being my favourite out of the whole series as a child and after rereading it, that has definitely proven to be true! But I couldn't really tell you why it's my favourite, it just grabs me like no other in the series did! I just love the Baudelaires and how each of them are so unique yet complement each other so well in escaping Olaf time after time. I'm truly enjoying my reread of this series so much and with two books down and eleven to go, I'm already dreading m ...more
Kira Simion
I've read these out of order and only remember some things of a few. Shhhhh.
Jason Koivu
Nov 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A retread of the last book, but with a less interesting, though kinder, caretaker for the forlorn Baudelaire orphans.
SOUE Readalong! : The Reptile Room 1 2 May 03, 2018 07:32AM
SOUE Readalong! : The Reptile Room 1 2 May 03, 2018 07:31AM
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Gilda Joyce: The Ladies of the Lake (Gilda Joyce, #2)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig
  • The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio, #2)
  • Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed (Junie B. Jones, #8)
  • The Landry News
  • Dizzy
  • Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm, #4)
  • The Sands of Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #2)
  • Aliens Don't Wear Braces (Bailey School Kids #7)
  • Everything New Under The Sun (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #10)
  • The Stowaway Solution (On The Run, #4)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99