Start by marking “Life's Little Instruction Book: 511 Suggestions, Observations, and Reminders on How to Live a Happy and Rewarding Life” as Want to Read:

H. Jackson Brown, Jr. originally wrote Life's Little Instruction Book™ as a gift for his son who was leaving home to begin his freshman year in college. Brown says, "I read years ago that it was not the responsibility of parents to pave the road for their children but to provide a road map, and I wanted to provide him with what I had learned about living a happy and reward ...more
Published September 27th 2000 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 1940)

Start your review of Life's Little Instruction Book: 511 Suggestions, Observations, and Reminders on How to Live a Happy and Rewarding Life
Sten Bolander
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
My folks gave this book to me on St. Patricks Day 1992. I have since read it. They made some notes throughout which made it extra special. My Dad even added a few at the end, "512 - Always date letters, papers and documents (still do this and kick myself when I don't), 513 - Wear sweaters instead of lighting fires, 514 - Be Happy, 515 - Be Swedish (from the full-blood Swede)." Dad added a quote as well from Ray Bradbury, "If we listened to our intellect, we would never have a love affair. We'd n ...more
Stacy
Apr 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Lots of little hints to enrich one's and others' lives and make them more memorable. ...more
Ken Hammond (kenzaz)
A lot of common sense instructions just full of little gems many of which I use. Discovered a copy in a used book store years ago, funny enough just repeating myself but I've implemented many of it messages and even added a few of my own, mainly what it does for me it just keeps you surprised and reminds you about whole pile off stuff that you can control versus the mistake of worrying to much about stuff you can't. It makes you focus on whats really important and be the very best you can be, an ...more
Lynn
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book that you have to read every once in a while to keep reminding ourselves that it's all about the little things . ...more
Annie ⚜️
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some advice is better than others but still an overall worthwhile read.
Close Enough
Jul 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: english, eng2020
"Commit yourself to a mighty purpose"
The author wrote this book for his son as a life guide ,he convyed his own experience through these quick advices and precious wisdom
It is a very helpful book for young people and adults as well, I noticed some inappropriate tips for us but it still be a good one overall.
Rosie
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that is simple, not at all difficult to read, yet it has a lot of meaning behind it. This little booklet reminds us that it really is about the little things in life, such as being courteous to everyone and learning to be positive/enthusiastic, are what matter most. Sometimes we need a reminder about what it means to live a good life. If this is you, try some of the suggestions offered in this book.
Carol
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is 511 suggestions, observations and reminders on how to live a happy and rewarding life. H. Jackson Brown with extremely thought out how he would approach the writing of this book, and entertain our reading.

The is the introduction he wrote for the book in starting for the book for his son.

"This book began as a gift to my son, Adam. As he packed, his stereo, typewriter, blue blazer, and other necessities for his new life as a college freshman. I retreated to the family room to jot down
Miss Lilli
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was afraid I'd read the book too fast, so after a couple of days, I limited myself to no more than 25 suggestions per day. I usually do all of my reading on the machines at the gym. One suggestion was to be first to say "hi" to a person. That very day, within minutes of reading that suggestion, a man got on the machine next to me and I immediately said hi and started laughing. I told him about the book. We talked and now I have a new friend at the gym.

There were a couple of suggestions that I'
Liliana Karajah
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pdf
What a great book.
It has like the most touching tips for living life.
Everyone should read it.
Jessica
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best advice ever given and it was a nice homey book to keep us teens grounded while we separate from our parents as we go away for college.
Mel
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Some people said a books can change how people see their life and their ways of living, after reading this book I start to believe it's true. This is a simple little gem books, that inspires and reminds us of the importance of appreciating nature, treasuring life's little wonderful moments, and being kind to those around us.

*Spoiler Alert*

-----------------

Remember:

- “Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts.”

- “Don't f
Harikrishnan
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read it years ago and 2 of his sentences are what remains in my memory and of those 2 one really helped me in getting my ass saved. It is " When you have done a mistake, accept it " . It helped me in not getting a fail grade in college.

The other one is "When you are thrown off a horse get right back up" and this is also a really good one. I think it is time to re-read it. :) and since it was written as a collection to his son I think I should also write something for my future-children antici
Joachim
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really nice advice and a bunch of cool little life tips. I enjoyed this a lot
Mou AlShamlan
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
i highly recommend this book 4 anyone want to live the real life :)
P. E.
May 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Another book that was given to me upon graduating High School. From highlighted portions, it looks as if I read this book at one point. Very few books are not worth re-reading, and I quickly burned through this book in one sitting. Each suggestion listed is great advice and would make awesome habits to implement. I'm looking forward to reading volume two of the same title. ...more
Andrea Engle
Apr 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2021
A warm-hearted book of good advice, originally compiled by the author for his son on the occasion of his going off to college ... practical ...
Patrick
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Another great book that should be required reading in Highschool or college.

It is basically a list of advice that you should have gotten from your parents. Of course not every “rule” applies to everyone but I feel like everyone can get something out of this book.

The advice the author gives ranges from funny to deep and meaningful.

Overall, a great book that is well worth the few dollars it costs nowadays.
Asmaa Refaat
It's the kind of books that you have to read daily
It's that kind that changes your way of living
It shows that life is really about the very little things
Really I'm addicted to this book and I highly recommend it
Ice 9
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a little book of bits of wisdom and saying that keep you entertained. I have to say that I liked it and it kept me reading. It was also a fast read. Took about a half our the first time around.
Elizabeth Humphreys
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A quick read picked up off of my parents bookshelf mostly because I am a bit behind on my reading challenge for the year. Some of the advise was good, some trivial, and some did not resonate with me. It was interested to see things that I already do in my life in there.
Kelsey Worley
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVED this! Such a great reminder of the little things in life we take for granted....read it all in one night!
Elizabeth Houseman
Lots of good pieces of advice, a decent amount of bad advice ... An interesting little book with lots to think over!
EL HAMA
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Advices that Dad haven’t told you
Lily
Cute.

Not everything is still relevant to today (im sure most people already know how to use a computer) but still good.
Chelsea
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this back in high school. I remember I tried to do everything it suggested. There were a few items I didn't agree with (coffee and wine type thing). But I liked it. ...more
santos
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

Must read... Has been far guide for me since school days when i accidentally found this book... Keep it at bedside
Kathy
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was ok
Lots of common sense platitudes in brief.
Bobby Frederick
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some mind provoking and uplifting tidbits in here. Good to read on the train or keep at your desk or nightstand. I appreciated the dated advice (call ahead to the airline to make sure your flight is on tjme 😁) as well as the timeless pieces like not wasting time worrying over past mistakes- learn and move forward).
Angie Jones-Moore
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This a fabulous little book.

Easy to read with an element of humour throughout, and also some very good advice too.

It was written from Father to son in 1991, some 28 years ago. (which makes me feel very old!) It is a lovely book and I will be buying other copies as gifts, take what you will from it but it's a good way to live your life even if you only adopt one or two of the snippets.

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
quotes 1 1 Nov 03, 2020 01:45PM

• نظرية الفستق
  • Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • Enamórate de ti: El valor imprescindible de la autoestima
  • المرأة والجنس
  • Seduced by the Alpha Wolf (Book 1)
  • The Sleeper Dreamed: A Short Story (Legends and Lore)
  • The Cattle Health Handbook
  • IGNITING THE FIRE: The Art of Romantic Submission (The Crow Academy Book 1)
  • عبقرية محمد
  • The Easy Way to Quit Caffeine: Live a healthier, happier life
  • Plan Commit Win: 90 Days to Creating a Fundable Startup
  • صدى النسيان
  • Farnsworth's Classical English Style
  • A Year of Us: A Couples Journal: One Question a Day to Spark Fun and Meaningful Conversations
See top shelves…
Date of Birth: 1940

H. Jackson Brown, Jr. is an American author best-known for his book Life's Little Instruction Book which was a New York Times bestseller. Before becoming famous as a writer, Brown acted as a creative director of an advertising agency in Nashville, Tennessee. It was simple words of wisdom gathered from other people and his own experiences that made him a best-selling author.

Brown

News & Interviews

“Don't forget, a person's greatest emotional need is to feel appreciated.” 230 likes
“Never give up on anybody. Miracles happen everyday.” 156 likes