Start by marking “Life's Little Instruction Book: 511 Suggestions, Observations, and Reminders on How to Live a Happy and Rewarding Life” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  3,317 ratings  ·  147 reviews
H. Jackson Brown, Jr. originally wrote Life's Little Instruction Book™ as a gift for his son who was leaving home to begin his freshman year in college. Brown says, "I read years ago that it was not the responsibility of parents to pave the road for their children but to provide a road map, and I wanted to provide him with what I had learned about living a happy and reward ...more
Published September 27th 2000 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 1940)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Life's Little Instruction Book: 511 Suggestions, Observations, and Reminders on How to Live a Happy and Rewarding Life
Sten Bolander
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
My folks gave this book to me on St. Patricks Day 1992. I have since read it. They made some notes throughout which made it extra special. My Dad even added a few at the end, "512 - Always date letters, papers and documents (still do this and kick myself when I don't), 513 - Wear sweaters instead of lighting fires, 514 - Be Happy, 515 - Be Swedish (from the full-blood Swede)." Dad added a quote as well from Ray Bradbury, "If we listened to our intellect, we would never have a love affair. We'd n ...more
Annie ⚜️
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some advice is better than others but still an overall worthwhile read.
Lynn
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book that you have to read every once in a while to keep reminding ourselves that it's all about the little things .
Rosie
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that is simple, not at all difficult to read, yet it has a lot of meaning behind it. This little booklet reminds us that it really is about the little things in life, such as being courteous to everyone and learning to be positive/enthusiastic, are what matter most. Sometimes we need a reminder about what it means to live a good life. If this is you, try some of the suggestions offered in this book.
Liliana Karajah
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pdf
What a great book.
It has like the most touching tips for living life.
Everyone should read it.
Miss Lilli
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was afraid I'd read the book too fast, so after a couple of days, I limited myself to no more than 25 suggestions per day. I usually do all of my reading on the machines at the gym. One suggestion was to be first to say "hi" to a person. That very day, within minutes of reading that suggestion, a man got on the machine next to me and I immediately said hi and started laughing. I told him about the book. We talked and now I have a new friend at the gym.

There were a couple of suggestions that I'
Ken Hammond
A lot of common sense instructions just full of little gems many of which I use.
Mou AlShamlan
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
i highly recommend this book 4 anyone want to live the real life :)
Carol
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is 511 suggestions, observations and reminders on how to live a happy and rewarding life. H. Jackson Brown with extremely thought out how he would approach the writing of this book, and entertain our reading.

The is the introduction he wrote for the book in starting for the book for his son.

"This book began as a gift to my son, Adam. As he packed, his stereo, typewriter, blue blazer, and other necessities for his new life as a college freshman. I retreated to the family room to jot down
Jessica
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best advice ever given and it was a nice homey book to keep us teens grounded while we separate from our parents as we go away for college.
Mel
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Some people said a books can change how people see their life and their ways of living, after reading this book I start to believe it's true. This is a simple little gem books, that inspires and reminds us of the importance of appreciating nature, treasuring life's little wonderful moments, and being kind to those around us.

*Spoiler Alert*

-----------------

Remember:

- “Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts.”

- “Don't f
Asmaa Refaat
It's the kind of books that you have to read daily
It's that kind that changes your way of living
It shows that life is really about the very little things
Really I'm addicted to this book and I highly recommend it
Cyrine
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-of-the-best
What a great book!!
I love it so much, it is very helpful and interesting. I give myself a promise to read it every Year.
Here is some of what i like the most :
- Don't trust your memory; write it down.
-Talk slow but think quick.
- Remember the three Rs: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
- Don't tell the end of movies and good books.
- Write a short note inside the front cover when giving a book as a gift.
- Marry a woman you love to talk to. As you get ol
Patrick
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Another great book that should be required reading in Highschool or college.

It is basically a list of advice that you should have gotten from your parents. Of course not every “rule” applies to everyone but I feel like everyone can get something out of this book.

The advice the author gives ranges from funny to deep and meaningful.

Overall, a great book that is well worth the few dollars it costs nowadays.
Bobby Frederick
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some mind provoking and uplifting tidbits in here. Good to read on the train or keep at your desk or nightstand. I appreciated the dated advice (call ahead to the airline to make sure your flight is on tjme 😁) as well as the timeless pieces like not wasting time worrying over past mistakes- learn and move forward).
Angie Jones-Moore
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This a fabulous little book.

Easy to read with an element of humour throughout, and also some very good advice too.

It was written from Father to son in 1991, some 28 years ago. (which makes me feel very old!) It is a lovely book and I will be buying other copies as gifts, take what you will from it but it's a good way to live your life even if you only adopt one or two of the snippets.

Rancy Breece
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It may be a ”little” book, but it is big with great advice. Short pithy instructions that are not only common sence, it relates uncommon wisdom. Although I read it cover to cover, dipping into it for a minute or two over the course of a few days, it is also one that any reader can dip into at any point and serendipitously find needed advice on a current problem.
Robert
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: selfhelp
I think my dad brought this for me at an airport when he was on a trip about 20 years ago.

It's that kind of book.

The only thing I remember is Brown's advice to buy the most expensive belt and shoes that you can afford.
Ice 9
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a little book of bits of wisdom and saying that keep you entertained. I have to say that I liked it and it kept me reading. It was also a fast read. Took about a half our the first time around.
Heather
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
Fantastic. Used this for "Thought for the day" for a long time. Short, sweet, succinct, and definitely thought provoking.
Karen-Leigh
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Instructions to a son leaving for college...suitable for all other ages. A bucket list for life.
Amanda
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Agree with most of the great advice/suggestions in this book. Everyone should read this.
Virginia Jhéne Pierce
Great little bathroom reader! Good practical advice for a "happier" life!
Deny Rahmalianto
Oct 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
So cheesy, some advice is like a joke.
Sonja
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Plenty of great advice, this one's a keeper!
Ahmed Hemeida
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deeply recommended
Marcie
Jul 04, 2019 added it
Shelves: inspiration, 1992
Life's Little Instruction Book is a mindful gift bestowed upon a son from his father; I'm so glad to have rediscovered its heartfelt imparting of wisdom.
Iya
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I read this when I was a teenager but still remember valuable lessons even now that I'm living away from my family.
Coleman Wigger
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful! I received this as a graduation gift many years ago. I still remember some of the important quotes.
Ahmad Sabbah
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I will gift this book to my son
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Life Strategies: Doing What Works, Doing What Matters
  • Annabel Lee
  • Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection
  • How to be a Gentleman
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and It's All Small Stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things From Taking Over Your Life
  • Тютюн
  • Железният светилник
  • Med eller utan dig
  • A Teaspoon of Courage: A Little Book of Encouragement for Whenever You Need It
  • Throw a Kiss, Harry
  • Girls A to Z
  • A is for Awesome
  • I Call My Grandma Nana
Date of Birth: 1940

H. Jackson Brown, Jr. is an American author best-known for his book Life's Little Instruction Book which was a New York Times bestseller. Before becoming famous as a writer, Brown acted as a creative director of an advertising agency in Nashville, Tennessee. It was simple words of wisdom gathered from other people and his own experiences that made him a best-selling author.

Brown

News & Interviews

“Don't forget, a person's greatest emotional need is to feel appreciated.” 226 likes
“Never give up on anybody. Miracles happen everyday.” 156 likes