Start by marking “The Complete Life's Little Instruction Book” as Want to Read:
The Complete Life's Little Instruction Book

The Complete Life's Little Instruction Book

The Complete Life's Little Instruction Book contains the 1,560 entries found in all three volumes of the New York Times Bestselling Life's Little Instruction Book series. Bound in a deluxe, maroon, leather edition, this collectible hardcover makes a perfectly elegant gift for any occasion.

Though originally written as a gift from a father to a son, its simple message has be
Published October 17th 2000 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1997)

Start your review of The Complete Life's Little Instruction Book
Ellie
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
The idea behind this book is really cute (a dad writes down some advice for his son as he's going away to college). Since it was a personal gift, there are some things that I don't agree with (and there are a lot that are similar), but there are several that remind me of advice from my own parents and/or are things I'm trying to live by:

17. Live beneath your means.
19. Buy great books even if you never read them.
37. Make new friends but cherish the old ones.
41. Don't postpone joy.
42. Write "thank
Maui Rochell
After almost 4 months I am finally done reading this book! I am not very consistent with this one that's why it took me that long to finish it. Life's Little Instruction Book consist of over 1,560 tips and instruction about practical living. It's pretty cool to me actually that I wrote down the things that I liked and from 1,560 I wrote 385 tips. I didn't do it in one seating though. But I'm glad I read this. Learned a lot!
Pulkit
May 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked it in the beginning but then began to realize I didn't agree with many of the things.
Some patterns were observed :

1. Lots of business tips. Clearly not for me.
2. Pleasing your wife. I don't intend to have one, so.
3. Raising children. Whatever
4. Religious stuff. Sigh.
5. Sexist undertones - mostly please-protect-weak-ladies stuff. Like stand up to let a lady sit.
6. Contradictions. "Live beneath your means" But then so many buy the best you can afford this, that.
7. Totally random, meaningl
Anita
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this is one book i leave deliberately on my table to be picked up on days I hit rock bottom or clueless. love the tidbits .. A must-have for growing up kids,I believe!!!
StarMan
You already know if you like these kind of allegedly feel-good books, full of pithy suggestions/quotes.

If you've never read one of these Chicken-Soup-for-the-Soul kind of things, or have yet to accumulate much life wisdom, you might find some inspiration here. Heck, there are over 1,500 sayings to peruse.

Some are pretty good, a few are horrible and/or stupid   less than helpful, and several are contradictory or repetitive. Many are just common sense, or sayings you've heard before. And you do
Eloise Vanbrabant
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked reading this book and it was interesting to know about what the author likes and dislikes, though I feel like it is aimed mainly at men, who have children (they should have at least a daughter and a son!) a wife, living in America (preferably in New York!) and though this is probaby how the author lives himself, I would have liked it more if he didn’t keep referring to these things. Of course, you can still read it if you are not any of the things listed above (like me: I am pract ...more
Sofian
May 12, 2016 added it
How can I express my gratitude toward the destiny that put such a book in my path !
Beautiful/deep/funny/short.. instructions from father to his son , full of wisdom and love .
Obviously , I recommend to read this book .

- Be insatiably curious. Ask "why" a lot.
- Spend less time worrying who's right, and more time deciding what's right.
- Cut out complimentary newspaper articles about people you know and mail the
articles to them with notes of congratulations
- Don't expect money to bring you happin
Jessica
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fic
What I think is that this book has given me lots to think about. I have half a mind to transform it into a life's little checklist and cross the instructions off one by one. Some of these mentioned I'm proud to say I've already accomplished, but others are absolutely wonderful ideas and suggestions that I hope to follow one day. Basically, this book made me smile and more than once while I was reading it. There's a lot of truth and wisdom found within its binding. Even if you never read it cover ...more
A.
I am one of the rare people who don't like this book. The lessons, to me, are all common sense, and some of them I don't agree with. I suppose it would make a good gift, but I know I would never give it! It's just not my style, I guess, and it seems to me that a lot of the "lessons" are personal opinions. There also seems to be a christian element which also is a turn off for me.
Nour Wageeh
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this book 2 years ago and it still echoes in my head,
I'll return to it again as soon as I can to refill my memory with this smooth gentle little big instruction.
Alaa El-Desouky
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
1st Read-Book in 2014 ^_^

It is an Awesome Book for a good happy enjoyable Life

Anyone needs it ... Tell me I high-lighted every sweet phrases
Emma Pooler
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book I read at age ten that continues to inspire me
Sandeep Khanna
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Honest!True!Amazing!Must have by your Bedside.
Martin
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is really life-changing and something everyone can relate to because of the advice it gives. The Author of the book was really nervous about his son going to high school he wrote this book, so his son could have some good dad advice. I would rate this book 4 stars because, it’s a book you can really relate to, and it can also make you grow as a person. I can personally say that I have really changed my way of think and acting after reading this book. I really liked all the content the ...more
Lexi
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
My favs:

Keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen and your car.
Read the Bill of Rights.
Strive for excellence, not perfection.
Don't waste time responding to your critics.
Learn to recognize the inconsequential, then ignore it.
Don't major in minor things.
Praise in public. Criticize in private.
Never cut what can be inside.
Hire people smarter than you.
evaluate yourself by your own standards, not someone elses.
Never eat the last cookie.
Never give a loved one a gift that suggests they need improvement
Ahlam Naim
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I was looking for something very light and easy to read and I found this book. I enjoyed it, and I would personly get back to it from time to time. You might find some repeated advices but it's okay. You won't find so impressive information, it's not meant to be like that. Most of what you'll find is something you already know but we usually bury it in the back of our heads. He phrased everything nicely that makes you think about everything twice. P.S: he has a great sense of humor. :)
Ren Judah
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because it's simple and it makes me smile I keep it in my bag the majority of the time just so I can have something the thumb through when I'm bored.
Geoffrey Logie
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Good Advice!
Leila
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great and quick read. Most of the advice were great and timeless
complete review at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZS_y...
Vero VU
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really really important book. I firmly believe that everyone in the world should read this one. It would change the world for better.
ام عبيدة
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book
Barbara Ab
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice book to warm one’s heart: but very American! A lot of “instructions” wouldn’t be “proper to use” in other cultural contexts.
Ikrame
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK NEEDS TO BE TEACHED IN HIGHSCHOOLS AND COLLEGES!!
Reema Albabtain
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I admire H. Jackson Brown Jr's thoughtfulness and the way he sees life. Inspiring.
Lynn  Davidson
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
The author collected hundreds of mostly one-line instructions and observations for his son, and compiled them in this book made up of three volumes. As I went along I wished I could remember all the ones I liked the best. A few examples are: #219 Spend less time worrying who's right, and more time deciding what's right. #812 Don't be thin-skinned. Take criticism as well as praise with equal grace. #1510 When you're angry, take a thirty-minute walk; when you're really angry, chop some firewood.
T
Anthony
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Some of the stuff in this book is great, but many of Brown's recommendations play it too safely or are ignorant.

For example, he recommends that the reader "Never open a restaurant" (1001), instead of recommending that the reader discover how to run a successful business. At another time, he counsels "approach love and cooking with reckless abandon" (977), which could be fun, but might not lead to success.

Sometimes he's funny, though, as he is when he says, "Never buy a Rolex from someone who's
Ying Ying
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
None of the advice is new; however, it is great to have them as a collection to which one can refer for inspiration. Some lines are really nicely formulated, such as: live your life as an exclamation, not as an explanation.
The instructions are about being someone with virtues, generous and grateful; about appreciating small things while aiming big targets; about not taking things for granted and retaining a child's heart. All the advice a good father would give to his son and now to the general
Michael
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An indispensable guide to living a well led life. Full of things you have heard at one time or another, and many you have not, this text is easy to just pick up and glance at for 5 minutes without commitment.
Ehsan
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book to read it through

This is a good collection of advices and instructions. Many of them you already have heard them, and there are some you would argue about it.

Any way it is good book even it has some arguable and some obvious instructions
Geethani Wijesinghe
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
A must read by everybody

• It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be
  • مالم يخبرني به أبي عن الحياة
  • Strengths Finder 2.0
  • The Nightingale and the Rose
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • The Emotionally Intelligent Leader
  • Mastering Fear
  • How to Have That Difficult Conversation: Gaining the Skills for Honest and Meaningful Communication
  • نظرية الفستق
  • The Third and Possibly the Best 637 Best Things Anybody Ever Said
  • Coffey's Hands
  • The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix
  • The Mouse on the Mile (The Green Mile #2)
  • The Green Mile, Part 6: Coffey on the Mile
  • True Confessions
  • Fatal Analysis
  • WW II: A Chronicle of Soldiering
  • The World Must Know: The History Of The Holocaust As Told In The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
Date of Birth: 1940

H. Jackson Brown, Jr. is an American author best-known for his book Life's Little Instruction Book which was a New York Times bestseller. Before becoming famous as a writer, Brown acted as a creative director of an advertising agency in Nashville, Tennessee. It was simple words of wisdom gathered from other people and his own experiences that made him a best-selling author.

Brown