Start by marking “The Magic of Believing” as Want to Read:

The Magic of Believing

MILLIONS OF READERS HAVE PROVED THAT THE MAGIC OF BELIEVING WORKS WONDERS! For more than four decades success-oriented Americans have turned to the no-nonsense, time-tested motivational techniques described in The Magic of Believing to achieve all their long- and short-term goals: a better job, an increased income, a happier marriage, or simply a good night's sleep. Now it ...more
Published May 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1948)

★1740 Investments★
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Claude Bristol was a hard-headed journalist for several years, including stints as a police reporter and as church editor of a large city newspaper. In this post he met people from every denomination and sect, and later read hundreds of books on psychology, religion, science, metaphysics and ancient magic. Gradually, Bristol began to see the 'golden thread' which runs through all religions and esoteric teachings: that belief itself has amazing powers.

Having spent years thinking about the power o
Donna
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Phyllis Diller mentioned that this book gave her inspiration and insight in her book, "Like A Lampshade In a Whorehouse". For a book copyrighted in 1948...it was ahead of it's time. In comparison to today's books on the subject....this one I think is better. It doesn't have all that feely, lovey, syrupy over the top...love your self stuff. He stays on what I'll call the science side of positive projective thinking.... At least that's I come up with!

It worked for Phyllis!
Žilvinas Navickas
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very good philosophic book. Idea of believing actually made me happier, I can't say about what happens next but now, when I recently read this book I'm far happier :) and I think that happiness is the most important thing, so I shared this book with my family. I don't know about things like psychokinesis and telepathy that he was talking about, but I choose to believe, because if you believe, what worse can happen? If you make a wrong assumption and after some time period you understand that you ...more
Sanjay Gautam
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
It is the book from where the book such as 'the secret' has been inspired, in fact all of the book based on 'law of attraction'. Its a book that tells the power of belief.

p.s. Its not a book on positive thinking.
Prashant
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Prashant by: Divesh kumar
Shelves: inspirational
- Claude
‘Virtually anything can be yours, and you can be anything, if you are able to develop a 'knowing’’

Do you believe in Magic, do you believe in some mystical power, which runs the world, and make sure that everything runs as per the will of an individual?
If you want be successful by controlling your subconscious than this is the book for you.

Mohammed Morsi
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book written in simple language a long time ago - about a very timeless and at the same time contemporary topic, belief. I'd say three-and-a-half stars but the rating is rather irrelevant. To write this at the conservative time it was written in - and have it published - would have been an act of courage and also a big accomplishment - a testimony of the power of belief.

The author lists example after example to substantiate his claim and most of them are very interesting but lack any kind of
Sergiy Lichenko
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The whole book is dedicated to the law of attraction idea. Author gives lots of examples how it works from his own life and lives of people with whom he was working with.
The idea is this, if you are focusing on something for a long period of time, by repeating for yourself some thought, phrase or sentence, you will eventually begin to believe in it. He also mentions that hard work as itself won't bring success, you must to believe in what you are doing and do the hard work in order to succeed.
A
John G.
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read this book because of Phyllis Diller actually. She was being interviewed in another book, "Great Comedians Talk About Comedy" and highly endorsed this book. I found parallels between this book and "The Tao of Psychology: Synchronicity and the Self" by Jean Shioda Bolen. They both examine elements outside of conventional thought which I like and treat it with respect. I was highly skeptical of this book to start, kinda felt like some sleazy, snake oil salesman making a pitch, but after read ...more
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Indeed, I love this kind of books I can eat it up with a spoon. I got my copy for less than ten dollars and it is always on the table. This kind of books you read over and over again. We are inundated and bombarded with doubt and skepticism on every side. It takes courage to "hold onto" the faith. A Latin proverb says "crede quod habes, et habes", that is, Believe that you have it, and you have it. The Bible says that faith calls calls into being that which does not exist (Romans 4: 17).
Vaishali
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
Some WOW stuff from a former police reporter and businessman :

Notes:
========================
Thought is the original source of wealth.

A man’s thoughts make him or break him.

One essential to success is that your desire be an all obsessing one, your thoughts and aims be co-ordinated, and your energy be concentrated and applied without letup.

Whatever you consider (success) to be, you can have it provided you are willing to make the objective the burning desire of your life.

By using the dynamic force
Elizabeth J.
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book way before the New Age Started back in early 80's. This is one of the first books I read and it saved my life. I put into practice all that Bristol said. It all works.

Yes all the new age books these days are copies off the greats like Bristol, Louise Hayes "You can heal your life." Anthony Robbins "Unlimited Power" and on..

Anyone who reads this and our open to teaching their intuition about the word "now" and about keeping ones mind blank by singing a specific song you will heal
Keith
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent book on the power of the mind. Has two workable techniques that will absolutely produce results. Just remember, it is possible !
Briana Brown
Apr 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
I didn't finish it. Didn't hold my interest.
LadyS
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
If anything, this book encourages keeping your mind focused on the things that you want to achieve and deliberately overcoming the thrill that negative emotions (and people) present. I definitely found something to apply to my life. I revisit this book about roughly once a month.
Jim Brown
FOR THE RECORD. I'M READING IT FOR THE SECOND TIME! IT IS THAT GOOD. I am convinced that if you were to put this book into the hands of a teenager, the younger the better, and IF they were to read it at least once but preferably 2 or 3 times, there is no limit to what they could accomplish. If you and I have a choice about what we want our lives to become, doesn't it make sense to give it the best chance of success we could. Just thinking about something will not make it so. But REALLY BELIEVING ...more
Nawal Al-Qussyer

اخترت أن يكون هذا الكتاب من أواخر الكتب في ٢٠١٠ وبنفس الوقت آخر كتاب أقر في سنتي أنا.. أي قبل ١٢ ديسمير - يوم ميلادي
أردت أن أبدا السنة بيقين كبير وثقة مطلقة بالله. واخترت أن يكون هذا الكتاب أحد الكتب التي قد تعينني على ذلك..
الكتاب جيد ليس سيء.. والترجمة أفضل من ما توقعت لكني تمنيت أن أقرأه باللغة الأصلية - لكني لم أجده -.

الكتاب يتحدث عن علم اليقين وتأثيره في حياة الأفراد والجماعات.. في حياة الانسان بشكل عام .. وكيف يستخدم هذا اليقين وعلمه في نيل الأهداف وتحقيق الأمنيات وزيادة فرص الحياة وغيره من
Ania
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: businessmen
Recommended to Ania by: it was a random purchase
In a BBC radio series called "Desert Island Discs" (1951-1960) Liberace, when asked what he'd bring on a desert Island with him, named this book and a piano. "The Magic of Believing" certainly had big shoes to fill after such a promise. :)

Written in the vain of The Secret and other such books about attracting metaphysical powers to get what you want out of life, this book is definitely different because it is written based on the direct experience of the author and those around him. Although a s
Tara
Dec 21, 2009 rated it liked it
This book I chose because i was leaving the country and wanted some inspirational words to read. Its extremely outdated (the author was in world war one, and in the book the US hasn't landed on the moon yet...haha) which makes most of his refrences un-relatable to us today. the message is good though and I think he does make many valid points that I plan to use in my everyday life now. I'll admit thought that I skipped through it a lot because he writes example after example after example, its l ...more
Pamela
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it
The message is wonderful, but it's so outdated! It's a classic, and the message is still true yet we now live in a radically different world than in 1948. I found the author to be long-winded and needed to skim through some parts. Interesting read.
Susan
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A bit antiquated (and perhaps even alienating) for modern readers, however the underlining core message is still vibrant and impactful. If you can get past these objections, as I was able to, you might find the principles in this book meaningful and useful.
Thankful Reader
This book is a great reminder of the power of the subconscious.
Anh Tuấn
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quyển sách khá hay viết về niềm tin. Sách đã được xuất bản tại Việt Nam với tên "Sức mạnh niềm tin"
Mở đầu sách, tác giả tóm tắt qua 2 phương pháp tự ám thị là phương pháp thẻ và phương pháp gương soi. Xong rồi khẳng định rằng con người có thể trở thành bất cứ ai họ muốn chỉ bằng việc tạo ra bức tranh tinh thần (ý nghĩ) rồi với tinh thần tích cực và tin vào chính mình sẽ thành công.
Bằng nhiều ví dụ về niềm tin trước năm 40 thế kỷ 20 tại Mỹ, tác giả tin vào sự thành công của con người không nằm t
Leah Nadeau
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the first books of it's kind, it's all about believing, visualization, affirmations. It's very similar to the book The Secret. Everything comes from creative thought, and whether you believe in that thought will determine if you are successful or not. The law of suggestion starts in the subconscious mind, and to make it work the way you want you must assert believable affirmations. People think that a rabbit tail, or a 4 leaf clover will bring you good luck - it will if you believe it to. ...more
Puffling
Jul 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm working my way through some woo-woo books that were recommended to me. I read constantly and quickly, so why not? As usual there are some ideas here that probably work. If you have a single-minded obsession that you think about day and night and take regular action to achieve (there's even a description of "SMART goals" of a sort), you're probably going to get some results. But overall this one didn't do it for me. I initially gave it two stars since it has a few good ideas, but you can prob ...more
Muffin Pam
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Millions of readers have proved the magic of believing!! Okay? I'm working on my own proof as I write this. As far as the book goes - it's kind of a rambling text that seems to have been forced onto paper in a wave of excitement at this discovery. By believing something strongly and with enough emotion and faith, it will come true. Yes, there is magic to that. I struggled with the turn of the century language and some phrases that may be considered a bit old-fashioned: "yes, women too can make t ...more
Yoric
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yes, this book may sound irrational, and yes it may look old, but in a good way, and pushes to read for more.
The author is given credit by is scientific approach, he read thousands of books, made a fortune in business, met lots of people during his lifetime, and had an obsession about this mere idea that mind power can trigger unexpected results that man's eyes can't see, and man's rational can't understand, yet it feels real. And in the end, it becomes real.

Reading more, it even gets better. I
Jesse Annoh
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It came before the Secret. It's emphasis in that one must constantly repeat a thought over and over again to make it stick. Much like other books in this category of literature it talks of sustained thoughts and visualizations. It connects religious practices, occult and extraordinary feats of success under the banner of belief. In a notable quote, * "... most of us are victims of mass thinking and feed upon suggestions from others," stress the importance of belief. It has many stories of succes ...more
Santosh
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who want to understand the power of believing
This books talks about the subconscious mind and how it effects us and everyone. It mainly comprises of lots of examples, experiments and situational facts. The essence of this book relies on the power of belief- "If you can think about it and you believe it, you can achieve it."

Overall a good book. I enjoyed reading it. But at the end I felt it went out of topics. It was just trying to put lots of examples, which I felt was not required at the end. The writer also added a topic about women exam
KiKi
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
According to New Scientist - Our brains have hidden depths. Whether it’s psychological tricks that change our long-term behaviours, or the strange healing powers of placebo and hypnosis our minds are surprisingly open to manipulations that can change us for the better.

This book provides direction on how to drop negative thinking habits and to produce thoughts that are inline with your personal goals. I thought it was a great read and well worth the investment of time.
David
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I believe in the magic of believing but this book provided way too many examples to try and prove believing is true which took away from the message.

To summarize: believe in yourself and what you want to do; surround yourself with other believers and distance yourself from non-believers / haters; use the power of constant repetition (put slogans everywhere, repeat phrases internally to yourself and also use the power of the mirror in self suggestion).
  • University of Success
  • The Tongue - A Creative Force
  • Life Is Tremendous
  • The Message of a Master: Classic Tale of Wealth, Wisdon, and the Secret of Success
  • The Secret of the Ages
  • Pushing to the Front or Success Under Difficulties
  • Hung by the Tongue
  • Simple Steps to Impossible Dreams: The 15 Power Secrets of the World's Most Successful People
  • You Can If You Think You Can
  • For Better or for Best: A Valuable Guide to Knowing, Understanding, and Loving Your Husband
  • Your Word is Your Wand: A Sequel to the Game of Life and How to Play It
  • What You Say is What You Get
  • The New Psycho-Cybernetics: The Original Science of Self-Improvement and Success That Has Changed the Lives of 30 Million People
  • The Friendship Factor: How to Get Closer to the People You Care for
  • Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do!
  • I Dare You
  • Master-Key to Riches
  • Read and Get Rich: How the Hidden Power of Reading Can Make You Richer in All Areas of Your Life
“Thought is the original source of all wealth, all success, all material gain, all great discoveries and inventions, and all acheivement.” 19 likes
“creative forces comes only when there is a completely rounded-out thought, when there is a fully developed mental picture, or when the imagination can visualize the fulfillment of our ambition and see in our mind a picture of the object we desire...” 12 likes