Start by marking “Together Apart” as Want to Read:
Together Apart

Together Apart

Isaac, on the run from his oppressive stepfather, needs time to hammer out a plan for his future. Hannah needs space to mend the hurt of losing two brothers to the blizzard—space she can’t find in her family’s crowded soddie. Determination, a healthy dose of luck, and a handbill advertising a position for an “Apprentice in a Growing Business Concern” draw first one, then t ...more
Published August 26th 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Together Apart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Together Apart

Louie
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Amazing book! I loved it!
QNPoohBear
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Set on the Nebraska Prairie just after the blizzard of 1888, this story is told from the view points of 14 year old Hannah and 15 year old Isaac. Both teenagers were caught in the terrible blizzard together and spent the night in a haystack, causing Hannah's reputation to be questioned and Isaac to be shunned by the community. Hannah is the only surviving child of those of her siblings that were caught in the blizzard. As a consequence, Hannah's father is very distant towards her and mistrustful ...more
Danielle
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teenage Girls
This was a pleasant story about young love blooming out of friendship and kindness. More then that thought, it was about learning how to forgive yourself, especially for something that wasn't your fault in the first place. Following the story from the perspectives of Hannah and Isaac, you'll see unique perspective of the events that lead up to the memorable conclusion. The story is quaint because of the language used, the unique era in time (prairie days), and the general personality that fills ...more
Mallory Beckler
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Holly
Sep 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
For the young teen, this book was charming. I did not expect to like it, but I did on many levels. Two young people thrown together by the harsh elements find in each other the balm they need in an equally harsh emotional climate at home. A fun look at the Midwest and Great Blizzard of 1888, I would not hesitate to recommend this to a 12-15 year old.
Rachel
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I adore this book! I read it in middle school and still consider it to be one of my favorites to this day. It's a very sweet novel about first love and forgiveness. There are many great messages to be learned throughout the book. It's perfect for preteen to young teen, but I also think it could be great for any age. It's a short and easy read that makes me feel happy when I put it down.
Amanda
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was on the to-weed list, but something about it made me want to read it first. I'm glad I did. Most stories focus on the the disaster- this one deals with the aftermath. It has a little bit of everything- friendship, mild romance, social commentary, and just enough suspense to keep you moving forward.
Linda
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a great story to help you realize what it would be like to be out on the plains in the late 1880's during a blizzard and how the people learned to cope with that and other tradgedies during that time. I really enjoyed it.
AM
Aug 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful kids' novel. A boy and a girl caught together during the Children's Blizzard have to work their way through family and social issues of the time period. But they get a helping hand for a delightful benefactress who wants to start a business of her own.
Ann Babcock
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute!
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, and everone!
Recommended to Sarah by: Mrs. Orange (librarian)
i absolutely love this book!!!!!!!!
i just finished it and it is one of the books
i am already ready to read again!
love it :)
Valerie L
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: junior
Blizzards bring not only snow but strong winds. This is a fun story with great characters that pulled me in and had me rooting for them all the way through! Enjoy.
Bekah
Feb 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this in one day and really liked it, but thought it could have been a much more in depth and longer. I thought the story was kinda just skimmed over.
Shannon