Start by marking “What's in the Witch's Kitchen?” as Want to Read:
What's in the Witch's Kitchen?

What's in the Witch's Kitchen?

Peek inside a witch’s kitchen, and you’ll either smile or shriek! Cool two-way flaps offer humor and heebie-jeebies in this neon-bright novelty book.

Those who dare to poke around in a witch’s kitchen should be prepared for what they find! Will it be tasty treats or terrifying beasts? Foods that delight, or a nasty fright? A nice way to fill your belly or something disgusti
Published July 12th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about What's in the Witch's Kitchen?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's in the Witch's Kitchen?

Abigail
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those Looking for Halloween Pop-Ups
British children's author and illustrator Nick Sharratt delivers a fun-filled witchy lift-the-flap adventure with this latest book aimed at younger children! Just in time for Halloween comes What's in the Witch's Kitchen?, which provides two answers to its own question: one naughty, and one nice. (Oops! Sorry, wrong holiday!). With clever accordion-style flaps, that reveal one image when lifted one way, and another when pulled in the other, young readers are in for both trick and treat!

Although
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Me and my daughter are in love with this book, she literally has not put it down since I bought it on Saturday (from the pound shop in Romford!)

This book takes you on a journey through the Witch's kitchen and what you uncover depends on the way in which you open the flaps in the book. Each page has the option of opening a different item in the witch's kitchen to discover either very yummy or yucky things by flipping the flap to the left or right. At the end you have the great pop-up surprise whi
Dodie
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A picture pop up book for kids.
Jenna Mills
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
Fun book
Marissa Elera
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Storytime gold
Danielle
From lollipops to rabbit plops, burnt ghosts to hot toast, strawberry tea to goblin pee there are many things to be discovered inside the witch’s kitchen. Open the refrigerator door to the left and you may discover something yummy, but open it to the right and you may discover something terribly yucky.

My two year old daughter adores this book! This is another book that I was weary of with all the flaps and openings because she is unfortunately very brutal on books (well, everything). Not that sh
Mary
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-list
Another fabulous book for small kids by Nick Sharratt. My small boy loved the changing pictures as you 'open left or open right', and he was in hysterical giggles as each new 'nasty' was discovered. After the first reading he always peeked to make sure he got the 'nice' side first, so the 'nasty' side was last for giggling at. We read it twice in the library, then twice again at home, and as soon as daddy walked in the door he had to read it too, with Ben in great glee at sharing something so hi ...more
Juliana Lee
What a fun book to read with little ones. Each page offers the reader a two-way lift-flap so that they can find something yummy and something spooky or creepy in the witch's kitchen. Look in the fridge or the bowl, or the cupboard. You might find tasty cheese or bats with fleas, spiders and snakes or biscuits and cakes, or maybe baked beans, soup and macaroni or something very very bony!
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Gotta admit I kinda love this one... especially the part about goblin urine... I sharing Sharratt's The Foggy Foggy Forest in story time and this one would be so much fun if I could read any stories about witches (darn "PC"-ness).
jacky
What a fun book! Opening the doors to reveal the items in the witch's house is fun, BUT these doors open two ways. One reveals something yummy and the other something yucky. Very clever, cool, and fun. It was a great read aloud at story time for Halloween.
Alisa
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
My boys love this book. They not only love the flaps that switch, and the witch saying "boo!" at the end, they love the fun little boy words like goblin pee and yucky slime stuff. Will have to check out again closer to Halloween.
Michelle
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very fun! This would be a great addition to any Halloween-themed storytime, although, I might think twice about sharing the contents of the teapot or the jar on the counter...not for the faint of heart, those two items!! Paperclips anyone? :)
Dee-Ann
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up for 50cents at a car boot sale and we love it. Funny, the flaps open both ways, is gross and is about witches ... what more could we want. My son took it to school today, he wanted to show his class.
Heather
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it
38 months - O thought it was very funny and would tell me which food she'd rather eat each time. This was a library book and the openings were often torn and in bad shape so it might not be a great choice for a kid that is hard on their books.
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Perfect for storytime. Fun, silly, sort-of-spooky (but not really). This Halloween book has two-way flaps and a pop-up at the end. Not a good format for circulation... but great for a storytime or personal collection.
Amy
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
the kids loved this book, it's a lift the flap book, but one side is the spooky, gross food and the other is something reasonable you would find in a kitchen. super cute, my kids especially liked the "rabbit plops and lollipops" - a recommended read for Halloween fun.
Kelly
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really funny book with 2 way flaps, after the first read my little one would peep to see which side was 'scary'. The only reason I didn't give this five stars is I don't like the use of the word 'fart' as I don't want my 4 year old saying it!
Linda
Trick or Treat?! Cauldrons of fun for preschoolers with clever lift-the-flap naughty/nice findings in all the things in the witch's kitchen.

Mind you - my 7 & 9 year old loved it too.
"Bats with Fleas!"
"Pooh! Lizard's Fart! Parp!"
"Nasty! Goblins WEE!"
Of course they loved it!
Vivian Gianni
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this book so much! This is my review in Chinese:http://msvegerocks.blogspot.tw/2015/1...
Tracy Hager
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite possibly my favourite story time book for class visits.
Miss Kelly
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I will be using this lift the flap book at story time next week. For those who are squeamish about the mention of poop and pee, don't read this book.
Donna
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Fun, humorous lift-the-flap book.
Ali Ng
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The kids at storytime loved this book, will be a definite repeat. A fun, well illustrated picture book.
George
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Unusual two-way lift-up flaps!
Indah Threez Lestari
192 - 2016
Emily
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Not going to last very long in a library setting, but a very cute idea and would make a good gift book for a slightly twisted child.
Colby Sharp
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I love that the flaps in this book each open two different ways, showing something different depending on which way you open them. Kind of cool.
Thia
halloween, lift he flap
Deborah
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Humourous rhyming combo of yucky and scary plus lift the flaps. The three-year-old particularly likes the toilet words! What's not to like?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Nick Sharratt is the author-illustrator of numerous books for children, including The Foggy, Foggy Forest and Dinosaurs’ Day Out. He lives in Brighton, England.