Start by marking “Elements of Grading: A Guide to Effective Practice” as Want to Read:
Elements of Grading: A Guide to Effective Practice

Elements of Grading: A Guide to Effective Practice

Outstanding leadership in a professional learning community requires practice and patience. Simply trying harder will not yield results; leaders must proactively train to get better at the skills that matter. This book offers a framework to focus time, ene
Published October 19th 2010 by Solution Tree (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Elements of Grading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elements of Grading

Gary Anderson
Oct 21, 2011 rated it liked it
I’m glad I read Douglas Reeves’s Elements of Grading. Reeves has thought deeply about grading processes and engagingly articulates his ideas and attitudes in this brief book’s pages.

Perhaps the most controversial aspect of Reeves’s thinking is the no-zero policy, which says that a zero is mathematically brutal when using a percentage-based grading scale, not to mention that zeros are virtually always an inaccurate representation of student learning. If a student cannot or does not prove lear
Leighanne Medina
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick read on the topic of grading. I'm not sure I agreed with the author on all principles, but this book got me thinking a lot about my grading philosophies and practices.
Peter Atkinson
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The key question that Doug Reeves addresses in Elements of Grading is as follows: How can we make grading systems accurate, fair, specific, and timely?

Before answering this question, Reeves establishes an important premise: The primary purpose of grading is feedback to improve student achievement.

Reeves begins his inquiry by discussing is what he terms “the grading debate” - that is, the distorted perceptions of some educators about the purpose of grading and their subseq
Chris Garth
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Reeves is a major thinker in the school reform effort. His work in this instance should be the focal point of a long discussion before every faculty in the nation's schools. Surely, not everyone will warm to the reform it calls for. But anyone who does will find students more eager and able to succeed, and a school community capable of meeting it's promise.
Karyn
Jul 05, 2014 added it
This book helped me wrap my brain around the "no-zero" philosphy of grading. As an educator (and one for whom math was never a strong point) I needed to make a shift in my thinking that grades have to be on a 100 point scale-- and how that is so different from the A,B,C,D,F scale that so many schools use.

Katie
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-it
It was a book that made you think about how you grade. Grading according to the standards is important, but there are many variables in grading that way. This book had many answers, but not all. Grading is subjective no matter what.
Julie Avirett
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good, fairly quick read on standards based grading. Gets down to the nitty gritty about questioning current grading practices and suggestions for improvement in a readable direct fashion.
Jessica