Start by marking “Press Here” as Want to Read:
Press Here

Press Here

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  21,094 ratings  ·  1,757 reviews
Great for toddlers, preschoolers, and early readers to learn about cause and effect in a simple and engaging way.

Harness the power of imagination and interactivity: Press the yellow dot on the cover of this book, follow the instructions within, and embark upon a magical journey! Each page of this surprising book instructs the reader to press the dots, shake the pages, tilt
Published March 30th 2011 by Chronicle Books (first published January 28th 2010)

·  21,094 ratings  ·  1,757 reviews

Start your review of Press Here
Betsy
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When we talk about interactive picture books we’re usually talking about pop-up books or tactile books with fuzzy/bumpy details. When we talk about picture books that break down the fourth wall, we’re usually talking about titles that approach the reader directly with a narrative like The Monster at the End of This Book or Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus or Can You Make a Scary Face So where do we slot the little French import Press Here by Herve Tullet? Interactive but also reliant on the pa ...more
Lisa Vegan
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all beginning readers and even younger children who know a bit about colors & counting
I was pressed to read this book. Ha! I wasn’t expecting to like it but I ended up loving it.

It’s very clever. I like that children’s/readers’ actions “write the book” and that it’s an enjoyable activity, and that it helps young kids with fine motor skills, and counting skills and with learning colors, and directions (left, right, up, down). As readers follow the directions, it will seem to them that they are creating what’s on the next page. What a great idea!

This is a very entertaining, intera
Suzanne
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting concept. Instructions about what to do with a coloured button, which will make something exciting happen and flow onto the next page. Not just reading, but acting and following instruction. Shake the book, shake it harder. What will happen? Indy thought this was fun. Need more time to read stories in a calm environment when we have time for reading and relaxation. It's hard to do after a long day at pre school. We will read this again. Good thing I work in a library = long loan.
Mir
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
This interactive picture book experience will, I suspect, by very your-mileage-may-vary depending on personality type. AS an adult I found it cute; as a child of the intended age I suspect I would have argued a bunch about how dumb it was. Maybe that's also beneficial?

I like that Tullet's books are all so out-of-the-box in such different ways.
Caterina
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with small children
Brilliant interactive fun! Having seen me pressing, shaking, and tilting the book, my cat wanted in on the action. So when I finally closed the cover and set the book aside, he sat on it, pressing his paw exactly on the "press here" yellow dot on the cover. However, when nothing happened (not having turned the page) he made himself into a gigantic orange circle, covering the entire book, and fell asleep.
Wendy'sThoughts
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Hervé Tullet Fans, Children
5 Truly Perfect Stars
* * * * *
Yes, This is NOT a Romance book or even a Mystery/Thriller. Yes, my reviewing a children's book is quite unusual. Well, sometimes I will experience something so impressive, I cannot stop myself from telling everyone about it.

Recently I became a Grandmother and our reading material covered all of the ones I had read with my children when they were little. Then more books arrived from relatives and others. It was eye-opening to see all these new books, creative and
Nadin Adel
Sep 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
Nothing special for a kid to learn.
Kelly
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
A dot is such a simple thing. A simple thing that turns into something magically fun in this marvelous new book by Hervé Tullet.

Tullet combines simple, colorful dots with simple, clear directions for a book bound to lead to interactive fun.

Things to love about this book: (not all of which are the usual sorts of things I talk about in reviews)

1. Its size. It is square (8-3/4" x 8-3/4").

2. Its cover. Its cover is made of good stiff cardboard of the sort used to make board books.

3. Its pages. They
Sue Read
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Occasionally a book comes along that requires you to stop, look, listen, rethink and really pay attention. This book demands your interaction and motivates you to turn the page in quite an extraordinary way. It encourages you to do some rather unbook-like behaviours, such as tip it, shake it, rub it, tap it or blow it. I love that and I think young children would love to do this too. It teaches us to engage with a page and to turn over expecting something to happen. As we become older readers, t ...more
Melody
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this brilliant little book. It asks the reader to do something to a colored dot (press here, rub gently & etc.) and when the page is turned, it appears that the reader's action has changed the illustration. It's a lovely concept, and moreover, it's just plain fun to do. I have seen toddlers and preschoolers loving it at the library, I've read it with K-3 kids, and just last weekend talked to a 9 year-old who loved it as much as I do. That's not counting the adults I know who have to have ...more
Glenda
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Picture books that offer insight into perspective and point of view appeal to me as I've always had a slightly skewed way of seeing the world. "Press Here" is another book about the power of imagination and creativity.
Abigail
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for Interactive Metafictional Picture-Books for Younger Children
Originally published in France as Un Livre (literally, "A Book"), this innovative picture-book provides young children with a delightfully interactive reading experience. Beginning with a single yellow dot on a white page, as seen on the cover, the narrator instructs the reader to take various actions, each of which leads (or seems to lead) to various changes in the artwork, as they turn the page. Thus the single yellow dot becomes two dots, and one yellow dot turns red. Pressing and rubbing dot ...more
Leslie
Press Here is magical—and a delight for any age. The daughter, who is not only a very cool tween, but a TAG reader of books well-above her age, was seen the other day on the floor of the Library with Hervé Tullet’s Press Here, a rather simple looking pre-school interactive book—at least, that is what I thought when I saw it. We were at the “Lucky Day” shelves of the Juvenile Section. I figured the book had been mistakenly shelved. It may have been, but Natalya was pressing and shaking and blowin ...more
Andrew
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked: everything about this incredibly creative book!
she liked: the ipad-like quality of changing pictures on real paper.
Coach D
Sep 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Very nice present from cousins! Unfortunately, the page where all of the dots fall to one side made us very sad for some reason. We'll come back to this one.
Travis
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
Over time, I’ve prattled on and on about the elements that make for quality kids’ books. Memorable characters, beautiful artwork, compelling plot, and so on and so forth. Today, let’s get more basic than that. What about a book you can hand to almost any kid and it would make them smile? What about a book that will provide some of the most eager page turns you’ve ever seen? Press Here, from the wildly creative French author/illustrator Hervé Tullet, has that ability. Simple in appearance, genius ...more
Kaethe Douglas
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
It was on the new shelf when I dropped books off at the library yesterday, so I grabbed it. Later, after supper, I found Tosh rooting through my library bag to see what I'd brought home. We "read" it together. We are by no means babies, and we were both mighty amused. Delightful.

Library copy
paula
This is the rare picture book that I feel compelled to carry with me wherever I go. Delightful, simple, and everyone who sees it wants to show it to someone else, to share the magic. Best of all, it invites imitation.

Full review on Pink Me: http://pinkme.typepad.com/pink-me/201...
DaNae
This may rival CAN YOU MAKE A SCARY FACE as the best story timebook ever. Just did it with 5 different Kindergarten classes and it was an overwhelming hit. Some of them really thought they had the power to effect what would happen on the next page. Apparently Tullet has several other companion picture books coming out this year. Bring it on I say. Meta at it's best.
Jenny
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What an amazing book!!! I absolutely LOVED it! I had so much fun pushing, turning, and shaking the book! And my two-year old loved it too! He just wanted to keep shaking and shaking! And the best part of all...we were both smiling and laughing the entire time! :)
Suzan Alteri
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great interactive board book for children and adults! I can assure you that anyone of ANY age will enjoy this playful book about dots!
Haeun Lim
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book sounds very fun. I think it helps to learn how to count or numbers in very fun way. The most fun part is dots are bigger and bigger when readers clapping.
Alyssa
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read with my husband; we both enjoyed the interactivity, even though we're adults. :)
Paul
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Opening the first page, it felt like this was going to be a fun. And it was! Very simple, physically interactive, great use of what appear to be finger paints -- including fingerprints--in primary colors with a few guided suggestions. Whether three of us adults passing it around--maybe more fun to watch someone else turn the pages and experience it/experiment with it--or a group of 30 entering this--what a joyful group experience. Can't wait for my grandson to discover it at whatever age that ha ...more
Tasha
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Press the dot on the cover and launch yourself into a journey where a book responds to your touch without any flaps, popups or electronics. Follow the directions on each page, turn the page and see what happens next! This is a book that is so simple in concept and beautifully executed in design. Readers will enjoy making the dots big by clapping their hands, moving the dots around the page by shaking the book, and turning off the lights by pushing the yellow dots hard. This is a simple, beautifu ...more
Maxwell Rae
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My parents haven’t read me any books in a few days because I’ve been sick, and grumpy and falling asleep in cosy locations like mums lap or in mums bed. But now I’m feeling a bit better and the standard book before bed routine is back, and boy did she pick a great book to return too! I don’t give out many 5stars, but this book had it all. It was interactive in that you played with the pictures and it affected the story! And lots of kids are have interacted quite fiercely as this book is falling ...more
Barbara
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ncbla
Beginning with a single yellow dot, this book walks readers through actions such as pressing, tilting, and clapping that move the dots around. It is highly interactive and calls on readers to use their visual acuity and imagination as they read. It feels as though the author is directly addressing each reader, which will certainly add to its appeal. I loved the splashy colors against the white background as well as the heavy board quality of the cover.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-picture-book
Brilliantly simple, this interactive book is very simple. The illustrations are pretty much circles in primary colors. But the beauty is that each page has simple instructions such as "stand the book straight up" with the next page containing a reasonable result of such action, in this case all the circles laying on the bottom of the next page. I wish I'd known about this book when my nephew was just a little younger and would have been amazed.

Mrs G
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-school
Brilliant 'interactive' book for little ones. Simple dots provide the pictures: follow the instructions on each page to make the magic happen. A big hit with L (2 and a half) who particularly loves blowing the dots off the page (luckily the pages are fairly think so any 'spray' caused by enthusiastic blowing is easily removed!) Could provide inspiration for older children to make their own interactive book.
Melissa
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. The simple picture of a dot that will change with the interaction of the reader. It is engaging to the reader and includes them in the story. In this Press Here the reader makes the magic happen in the book by following the directions given. The reader can not just do it one time. The changes to the dot is great. This is a really good book.
Press Here - Herve Tullet 1 2 Sep 16, 2018 09:36AM
Pressurized Mini Keg 1 2 May 06, 2018 03:39AM
Goodreads Librari...: NAB Query 6 27 May 19, 2016 04:56PM
Children's Books: Interactive Books 5 32 Jun 08, 2012 07:58PM

• Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • The Book with No Pictures
  • The Day the Crayons Quit
  • I Want My Hat Back
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • Where's Spot?
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
  • Room on the Broom
  • Giraffes Can't Dance
  • Don't Push the Button!
Hervé Tullet is the creator of more than fifty children’s books, including Press Here, which has been translated into twenty-seven languages. He loves to provoke surprise with his books, as well as in the dynamic workshops that he takes part in. He lives in Paris and is celebrated internationally for his playful, inventive, and interactive storytelling.