Start by marking “A Dangerous Fortune” as Want to Read:
A Dangerous Fortune

A Dangerous Fortune

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  26,101 Ratings  ·  1,300 Reviews
In 1866, tragedy strikes at the exclusive Windfield School. A young student drowns  in a mysterious accident involving a small circle of boys. The drowning and its aftermath initiates a spiraling circle of treachery that will span three decades and entwine many loves... From the  exclusive men's club and brothels that cater to every dark desire of London's upper classes to ...more
Published October 1st 1993 by Delacorte Press (first published September 24th 1993)

Maria Espadinha
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quando Os Livros Nos Raptam

Esta narrativa agarra-nos logo de início e só nos solta no fim!
Que sensação única , sempre que as estórias nos raptam!

Ken Follet no seu melhor!!!
Só tenho mais uma palavra - ADOREI :)
Russ
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, this book is somewhat predictable and serves less as a mystery novel and more as a historical drama/romance, but I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the novel simply as it was. It may also be a bit too familiar to Follett followers as the model of storytelling remains consistent with his typical writing techniques, but it also displays Follett's tremendous ability to set a mood and create an atmosphere that makes almost all his books so hard to put down. The historical detail makes A Dange ...more
Shauna
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things you can count on in a Follett book:

A strong male protagonist who everyone else is determined to make fail.

A strong female protagonist who acts in ways women of their time period just do not act, and doesn't give a damn about what others think of her.

One of the above parties either rises from their low station or falls from their high station.

A nasty villain who does nothing, but bad and surrounds himself with powerful people who he manipulates to get what he wants and to cover his bad d
Maria
Muito bom! E atual, apesar de se passar durante o século XIX.

Quem conhece o blogue sabe que adoro Ken Follett, daí não estranhar que tenha dado 5 estrelas a este livro no Goodreads. De facto, o autor britânico escreve como ninguém e retrata com mestria cenas de época, indo ao fundo das questões, envolvendo o leitor com personagens singulares, sendo elas bondosas, aguerridas ou até mesmo malévolas.

Em quase 570 páginas percorremos 30 anos de uma depressão banqueira que muito nos faz lembrar os d
Karla
Follett's definitely got a formula, and here he follows it true to form. Unfortunately I thought it fell short compared to the others I've read, like Fall of Giants, A Placed Called Freedom, and especially Pillars of the Earth. The good people are good and prescient and precocious, the bad people are petty, vindictive, and rotten, and then.....crazy shit happens.

It's a formula, but he does it well.

However, the characters didn't live up to their WTF potential and the ending - as hilariously bugfu
Lisa
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-author, audio
Ken Follett really knows how to tell a story...he knows his characters and his history and weaves the two together in a very enjoyable way.
This is set in 1860's-1890's in England and follows the ups/downs of a family who own/run a bank.

Positives - great story telling, I couldn't wait to find out what happened next with plenty of interesting characters and plots to keep you interested.

Negatives - some repetition and stereotyping. 'Horrible' characters with no redeeming features where you
Carla Faleiro
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Podia começar aqui a adjectivar este livro, mas quem me conhece sabe que os únicos enredos que me interessam são os das estórias.
Ken Follett é de facto um senhor contador de estórias! Este é um livro fantástico, com personagens excelentes!
Não vou opinar sobre a escrita do autor porque o que li foi uma tradução e acho um pouco fantasioso afirmá-lo sem ler originais, mas posso avançar que o texto estava isento de erros.

Quanto à estória... temos um grupo de colegas de colégio que passam por um acon
Sara Berbigão
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um livro cheio de altos e baixos mas simplesmente arrebatador!
Ankit Agrawal
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jeffrey Archer Fans, People who like master story-telling and real life dramas
Copied from a testimonial:
"Good thrillers are like elegant geometrical proofs. Their drama lies not in their ultimate outcome but in their method. Though we know that the good guys will eventually triumph, we don't know how; a good thriller should keep us guessing until the last page. Ken Follett does just that."

This is the first thing I had to say about Ken Follett when I completed this book. For long Jeffrey Archer has been my favourite writer and I have believed the fact that I can count on f
Larry Bassett
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio
The presentation of this audible book captures it's era the last half of the 19th century very well. It focuses on a bank and the family of the owners of that bank. The main character Hugh is a model of high ethics and morality but there. Are plenty of characters in the banking family who are far lesser than he is. I was fascinated to experience the workings of the banking system in the 19 century and to experience the lives of the upper class and their system of titles. But there were also enou ...more
Evalunasylva
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bp, 2015, mgd, romance-Época
Muito bom! Follett não desilude.
Diana Barbosa

4,5* Empolgante
Reinhold
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Geniales Sittenbild des ausklingenden 19. Jahrhunderts

Das Buch ist ein geniales Sittenbild der zweiten Hälfte des 19. Jahrhunderts. Im Kern geht es um die Geschichte des Hugh Pilasters, der das schwarze Schaf der Pilasters - einer der größten Bankiersfamilien - ist. Nun schwarzes Schaf ist vielleicht etwas falsch ausgedrückt, eher ist er das weiße Schaf innerhalb der grau-schwarzen Herde. Hugh ist ehrlich, aufrichtig und glaubt an das Gute im Menschen. Nebenbei ist er höchst intelligent und vers
Petra
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***Attention! This review contains spoilers. So, don't read it unless you finished the book***

This book, what to say about this book? I absolutely love all Ken Follett’s book, he is genius.
Dangerous Fortune is not typical Follett’s book, set in 19th century , story follows the fortunes of famous and rich family Pilaster. At the beginning I thought it will be criminal book or something like that, I didn’t expect so much drama, romance and malice (all in good way).
First, my favorite character was
Gee
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Dangerous Fortune is my third Ken Follett book, after Fall of Giants and Hornet Flight and I have to say after Fortune, he is fast becoming a favourite author of mine. This book was a tremendous read and one that had me hooked and longing to return to its pages to find out what would happen next.

Set in the 19th century, the story spans the decades between the 1860s and 1890s and follows the fortunes of the powerful Pilaster family following the death of a student one summer at a swimming hole
Barbara
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: absolutefavs
Ken Follet has added another great book this novel, A Dangerous Fortune. His has a great nack for creating amazing characters showing many different aspects of human life, like manipulation, greedy, misery, deceiving, murder, political and amorous intrigues, etc., making the book a very entertaining reading.

The story takes place in the late 1800’s and starts with a tragic drowning of a student in an exclusive school named Windfield. A small circle of boys are directly or indirectly involved in t
Patrice Sartor
Ken Follett sure knows how to tell a story, and he oozes character development skill. I got to know every character in the title well, for better or for worse. There were manipulators, the manipulated, the highborn, the lower class, and everything in between. I was eager to discover what these people would do next, and who they would do it to.

As a period piece, I cannot vouch for its authenticity (since I'm not an expert on London and South America in the late 1800s), but I can tell you that it
Silvia Ribeiro
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 estrelas.
O livro tem tudo o que o Ken Follet já nos habituou. Personagens fortes, ação é um enredo que nos agarra da primeira à última página. Mas não está ao nível da sua última trilogia.
Ana Azofeifa
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buena y entretenida trama. Hace mucho no leía a Follet, más creo recordar que sus personajes malos son malos y los buenos, buenos y hay algunos de ambos en esta novela...sin medias tintas. Si te gusta el autor, recomiendo esta historia.
Tina
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017, own
3,5 *
Ana
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo
Uma descrição soberba do mundo financeiro e de como a política e a troca de favores influenciam o sector bancário.
Mais um livro deste autor que recomendo.
Zoeytron
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ken Follett has long been a favorite author of mine. We tend to snap his books up as soon as they hit the shelves. Not sure how it happened, but 20 years ago I somehow missed this one. Came across it quite by accident, and it was like discovering a hidden treasure and what a pleasure it was to read!

Back to the days of corsets and bustles in merry old London, this tale spans the period of 1866 to 1892. Fans of this author are used to his finely drawn characters, not just the principals, all of t
Sherry
After reading Pillars of the Earth and listening to World Without End, I found A Dangerous Fortune to be somewhat predictable but I still thoroughly enjoyed the story. In A Dangerous Fortune, Ken Follett is again the master story teller, bringing together a family-saga spanning over 30 years that includes love, treachery, rivalry, drama, and crime. We watch the characters develop over the years some becoming strong and honest adults and others slipping into pure evil. The transitions from year t ...more
Pedro Diaz
Empieza un poco lento, pero avanzadas algunas páginas mejora y mantiene tu atención, lo acabe en una semana!

Es más una novela histórica que un gran drama, la historia es buena pero algo predecible. Pero los detalles históricos y la narración te envuelven y hacen volar la imaginación sobre Londres antiguo y la sociedad del siglo 19.

Si te gusta Downton Abbey es una lectura obligada.
Angela
Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ken Follett has a talent for weaving complicated plots, creating complex characters, and for leaving you in suspense. None of those talents are evident in this book. The characters are one dimensional, the plot is predictable, and there's never really any kind of suspense in the book. It ends up reading like a Harlequin.
Jai
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG!! I enjoyed this book. Although, the story was in the late 1800's, it had a modern flare to it. Ken gave us sooo much drama to work with from homosexuality, adultery, promiscuity, etc. I was intrigued from beginning to end. My first Follett book, but it won't be my last.
Emily
Ένα βιβλίο για να περάσει ευχάριστα η ώρα.
Ιδανικό για audio book μια και δεν απαιτεί ιδιαίτερη προσήλωση.
Μου κράτησε αμείωτο το ενδιαφέρον και μου ικανοποίησε πλήρως τα αισθήματα δικαιοσύνης, πασπαλίζοντας το τέλος με νιφάδες ευτυχίας και αποκατάστασης των ηρώων.
Γραμμένο με όλες τις σίγουρες συνταγές για επιτυχία.
Διαδραματίζεται στη Βικτωριανή Αγγλία, τότε που οι κοινωνικές διαφορές ήταν σχεδόν ανυπέρβλητες, η ανώτερη κοινωνική τάξη μιλούσε με υπονοοούμενα και το συζυγικό καθήκον συνοψιζόταν σ
Nick Phillips
Sep 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I know that all tastes in books is subjective and what one person may like might not necessarily appeal to another but I really cannot stress how utterly terrible I found this book.

Imagine Zola's La Curee mixed with a touch of Mary Poppins and just enough Eyeless in Gaza to make one think that this might be a halfway decent read, rewritten by Jeffery Archer as a TV mini series for a minor digital channel and you are 10% of the way to understanding just how awful this novel is.

There is no charact
Manuela Santos
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lido, a-ler
Para começar, quero dar os parabéns à Editorial Presença pela belíssima capa com que nos presenteia neste livro. Depois também pela revisão que está impecável.
Ken Follet é possuidor de uma escrita directa, simples, clara, precisa, concisa, fluída, envolvente e carregada de descrições fabulosas que parecem reais.
Uma leitura compulsiva, delirante, intensa, cativante, absorvente e emocionante que me prendeu da primeira à última página e por vezes tirou-me o fôlego, mas já não é de estranhar os livr
  • Hiobs Brüder
  • The Fatal Crown
  • Die Puppenspieler
  • Ivanhoe
  • The Conspiracy Of Evil (The Mysteries Of Osiris, #2)
  • Trevayne
  • Black Cross
  • Shaman (Cole Family Trilogy, #2)
  • The White House Connection (Sean Dillon, #7)
  • Marco Polo, If You Can
  • Hannibal. Der Roman Karthagos
  • Das Geheimnis der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #1)
  • The Music of the Spheres
  • Birds of Prey (Courtney #9)
  • The Scorpion's Gate
  • Summer Heat
Ken Follett is one of the world’s most successful authors. Over 160 million copies of the 31 books he has written have been sold in over 80 countries and in 33 languages.

Born on June 5, 1949, in Cardiff, Wales, the son of a tax inspector, Ken was educated at state schools and went on to graduate from University College, London, with an Honours degree in philosophy. He was made a fellow of the coll
More about Ken Follett...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Ireland
    $10.49 $2.99
“There was also something false about the atmosphere here. It was solemn and dignified like a church or the court of a president or a museum. They were moneylenders, but they acted as if charging interest were a noble calling, like the priesthood.” 2 likes
“The Bible says, ‘If any would not work, neither should he eat.’ Saint Paul wrote that, in Second Thessalonians, chapter three, verse ten,” 1 likes