Start by marking “Dreadnaught (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dreadnaught (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #1)

Dreadnaught (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  10,176 Ratings  ·  313 Reviews
The Alliance woke Captain John "Black Jack" Geary from cryogenic sleep to take command of the fleet in the century-long conflict against the Syndicate Worlds. Now Fleet Admiral Geary's victory has earned him the adoration of the people-and the enmity of politicians convinced that a living hero can be a very inconvenient thing.

Geary knows that members of the military high c
Published April 26th 2011 by Ace (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dreadnaught, please sign up.

Chris My answer is rather late but I would say it's fine for a 9 year old to read.

There is no gratuitous violence or sex in the entire series. The closest…more
My answer is rather late but I would say it's fine for a 9 year old to read.

There is no gratuitous violence or sex in the entire series. The closest perhaps if the "sexual" tension between the Protagonist and the Female Captain of the ship from which he commands the fleet. And that's not even sexual, it's just a strong attraction to each other that they both have to suppress as they are professionals in a war situation.

I remember as a 9 year old myself (and often still now with clumsily written love sub-plots) that i'd think the love angle was just a stupid distraction from the awesome politicking and fleet battles.

It might be a little advanced for him? but you never know. I can't remember what I was reading at 9 years old. Not that your child shouldn't try reading the series, but perhaps the Roberta A. Heinlein Juvenile series of sci-fi books would be more to their speed.

Mr. Matt
Sep 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Geary and the Fleet are back. With the War between the Syndicate and the Alliance finally over (thanks to Geary), our hero is hoping that he can finally catch some R&R. Unfortunately, forces are at work that are pushing him back into the far reaches of space. True, the war between the two human states is over, but the Syndicate worlds are descending into chaos with many star systems proclaiming their independence and Syndicate central government trying to maintain control. And, not to be ove ...more
Kat  Hooper
May 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Originally published at Fantasy Literature:

Warning: Contains spoilers for Jack Campbell’s original LOST FLEET series.

Dreadnaught is the first book in Jack Campbell’s LOST FLEET: BEYOND THE FRONTIER series which is a spin-off of his LOST FLEET series, but really Dreadnaught is just book seven in the LOST FLEET series. You don’t need to read the previous six books, but it would help. Dreadnaught follows the same characters and begins shortly after the events
Mike (the Paladin)
This is an excellent read. I read a few who said that the "Beyond the Frontier" series wasn't as good as the "Lost Fleet" series. Well, that may be true in some ways I suppose. It probably depends on what you come to the book looking for.

It's true that there isn't so much action here as we saw in the first series. The great battles involving fleets of ships aren't so common here (though we do have some conflict with the "alien" race mostly in the last third of the book). I think I'm interested
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This book had way too much talking for a military sci-fi action novel. I think some showing could have done the same thing to advance the plot. The ending was exciting, so it pushed my rating up. I'm actually looking forward to the next book in the series now.

Reviewed for Bitten by Books. http://bittenbybooks.com.
Mike
May 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
OK, I know I skipped the last three volumes of the Lost Fleet series. Maybe I’ll go back and post some lengthier reviews but right now I will press onwards. If you haven’t read the first Lost Fleet series be aware that there will be some spoilers for that series in this review. That there is a second series is likely, on some level a spoiler, in and of itself. So, if you’ve just started to read The Lost Fleet or if you intend to read The Lost Fleet: be warned!

So at the end Victorious, and likely
Michell Plested
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Jack Campbell's series "The Lost Fleet" and knew at its conclusion that I would have to read "The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier" when it was published. I did not get the chance to start reading the series until just last week.

As was the case with his previous series, once I started reading the book, I couldn't put it down. This series is SciFi Military reading candy at it best.

So, what do I like about it? Well, besides interesting characters, an intriguing mystery and well-
Kristin
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm not sure if my opinion of this book is colored by the thought I wasn't really in the mood to read a space opera or if is because this book was just plain dull. Probably a combination of both.

Our hero is now married and is sent off to the far reaches of Alien space by the Alliance as a way to get him out of the picture in a pure political move. Admiral Geary's is given an impossible mission, which is to survey and make contact with the alien race they call the enigmas. And oh, on your way ou
Casey Hampton
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-sf
This was fun! If I could, I'd slap a 3.5 on this and put it to bed. But I can't, so I'll throw 4-stars at it and see if it sticks.

I was hesitant to give this a go since the earlier series fell into a predictable rut. While the first half is a bit dull (political maneuvering), the second half picks up the pace and delivers a fun military SF romp. The writing is solid for the most part, and if you don't examine things with a critical eye, you won't see the cracks. "Enjoy it for what it is," I say.
Nathan
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, reviewed-2011
I'm a huge fan of the Jack Campbell "Dauntless" series and this book was at least as good as the first book in the last series. Many of the same characters make their return with a few new bit players, and the action is no longer centered around a human threat, but the extraterrestrial threat of the mysterious race from the previous book. Lurking in the background, however, is the growing suspicion that Black Jack has been sent with his fleet on a one way trip he's not supposed to come home from ...more
Donna Weaver
Nov 28, 2012 rated it liked it
What my stars mean:
5 Stars--the book had a profound impact on me. It touched me on some special level and lingered with me long after I'd finished reading it.
4 Stars--I loved this book. If I don't own it, I will buy it so I can read it again and again.
3 Stars--I enjoyed the book but may have had an issue or two with it.
2 Stars--I had more than a few issues with it.
1 Stars--I hated it.

WHAT'S IT ABOUT?
Edmond Barrett
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
NOTE: Possible spoilers

Dreadnought is a book I would describe as being basically slightly disappointing. Now the copy I read was lent to me by a friend and to be honest I would probably take an even less favorable view if I'd actually forked over money for it.

The original series I found to have a few problems (at least one book too long in my opinion) but basically enjoyable. Dreadnought picks up right where the Lost Fleet left off and opens very well. The Alliance is victorious in a generatio
***Dave Hill
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: text
UPDATED REVIEW (20 May 2013)

A comfortable, unchallenging read. Geary spends a lot more time dealing with "domestic" Alliance politics than fleet politics in the past, and there's some nice military action, but there's very little there there: events run their course, Geary reacts to them in a weary-but-wise/heroic fashion, then it's on to the next crisis. There's little opportunity for him to exercise any sort of agency, but as the story drifts along you don't mind ... too much

ORIGINAL REVIEW (4
Pierre
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After reading the last book of the Lost Fleet series, I went to read other books for a while, simply as I did not feel there was much surprise left in it.

I was drawn back to the new book Dreadnaught, as I quite enjoyed the overall series of the Lost Fleet. The story of Dreadnaught happens almost right after the first series end, with Black Jack Geary heading back with the fleet to discover more about the enigma aliens.

This book did not focus on gigantic interstellar battles like the previous one
Marcia
After I barely made it through the first two chapters, I looked through the book's blurbs hoping for reasons to keep going, and the phrase "nonstop combat action" appears (I think - it's been a couple of weeks.)

My reaction to that was to contemplate asking my veteran husband if "nonstop combat action" involves endless boring meetings with layers of management, because that's what happens in the first part of Dreadnaught.
J.
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Continuation to a great series, finally getting farther into the realm of sci-fi. I won't review the books individually since, like The Lost Fleet, the books are too similar to differentiate. They're more like episodes in a miniseries than separate tales.
Brian Layman
Jun 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011, read-2012
It's a good setup for the rest of this series, but it all seemed a bit too formulaic, which in someways was a trademark of the previous series. I guess it comes down to, if you enjoyed the last series, this is very much more of the same.
Robert
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: x2010-11-season
Military SciFi with a moral edge, interspersing carefully crafted, mind bending 3-D warfare with philosophical discourses on the nature of duty and leadership. Jack Campbell has once again written a page-turning masterpiece that will leave you itching for the next installment.
Tbloxham
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Always good to see another adventure by Black Jack Geary. Fun to see more information about the alien threat which was rather underdeveloped in the end of the last series, here we see a much more 'concrete' alien society which seems pretty interesting.
DemetraP
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I laughed hysterically at the summary of events when he was "off duty"
Jeffrey
May 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Too much talking not enough action weigh down this latest book in this series.
Karen
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This first book in the Beyond the Frontier series suffers from an agonizingly slow start, especially compared to the action packed sequences that characterized the majority of its parent series, The Lost Fleet. The first two thirds of this book is dedicated to political maneuverings and a lengthy and mostly uneventful process of getting the fleet into a position to DO something. While these maneuverings are likely necessary to set up the story arcs in the remaining portion of the series, it made ...more
Meredith
This book managed to hit my pet peeve with serial books. First, it is listed as first as first in a series. It really isn't. It's a sequel series to a previous set of stories about several of these characters. Second, there is no internal to just this book plot resolution. Which means it is more of a larger book broken down into smaller, average novel sized pieces than a book that can be read alone with any satisfaction.

For example, we spend 3/4ths of the book just getting out of the space stat
Cam
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-sci-fi
I've been reading the series in sequence, and while I'm enjoying them, it's hard to call it exceptional writing. Black Jack Geary is turned around and pointed at the enigma aliens with a larger fleet and other familiar characters including the politician Rione and his new wife, Captain Desjani of the Dauntless. Besides researching the enigmas, Geary is trying to navigate through Alliance politics and also that of the leftovers of the Syndic empire on his way to the border. His suspicions rise as ...more
Mark
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-read
The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Dreadnaught (or simply Dreadnaught as I will refer to it from now on!) is the new book in Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet setting, although this book kicks off a new trilogy set after the events of the original six book series. To say that this book was a highly anticipated release would be a gross understatement, I imported it as soon as I could and cracked it open and plowed through it in barely a few days. I'm a huge fan of the series and I thoroughly enjoyed D ...more
Bonsai
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bücherei
Difficult. Right at the end it actually started to be a science fiction novel.

Until then the aim o of the author seemed to be to prove that life in the military is all about tedious tasks, talk, politics, talk and boredom. The fleet didn't even move until a good third of the book. And the characters are mostly stereotypes. And releasing the same statement or thought untold time doesn't make it more interesting and definitely not better prose.

But the start of a story at the end might qualify for
Debrac2014
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I've become a big fan of The Lost Fleet series so I couldn't wait to see what happens to Black Jack and the fleet in this new series Beyond the Frontier! I don't care for the new mission, there's not as many battles but they did find what they expected in Enigma's space!
Mark Cameron
If you read the Lost Fleet series you know what to expect: military infighting, political maneuvering, and space battles against space aliens. This book was not quite as exciting as others of the series have been, though it did start to pick up at the end.
Ken30MU
May 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
Blah blah blah booooring. I thought this was a book about aliens. Where are they?
Gave up and quit reading.
Chris Goan
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action, sci-fi, military
exciting interesting and a game changer ending loved it
Woody James
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Left it in a cliffhanger.
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • Stark's War (Stark's War, #1)
  • The Hot Gate (Troy Rising, #3)
  • Starship: Mutiny (Starship, #1)
  • Maelstrom (Destroyermen, #3)
  • Center of Gravity (Star Carrier, #2)
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
  • We Few (Empire of Man, #4)
Jack Campbell is a pseudonym for American science fiction author John G. Hemry.

John G. Hemry is an American author of military science fiction novels. Drawing on his experience as a retired United States Navy officer, he has written the Stark's War and Paul Sinclair series.
More about Jack Campbell...

The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier (5 books)
  • Invincible (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #2)
  • Guardian (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #3)
  • Steadfast (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #4)
  • Leviathan (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier #5)

“Desjani pulled out a ration bar. 'Hungry?' she asked Geary.

'I had something earlier. Is that a Yanika Babiya?'

'No. It’s . . .' She squinted at the label. 'Spicy chicken curry.'

'A chicken curry ration bar? How are they?'

Taking a small bite, Desjani chewed slowly, pretending not to be aware that everyone on the bridge was watching her instead of staring at the representation of the alien hypernet gate. 'It’s definitely got curry in it. Spicy, not so much. Some of the other stuff tastes like chicken.'

'That doesn’t narrow it down too much, does it?' Geary said.

'Every kind of meat in a ration bar tastes like chicken, Captain,' Lieutenant Castries suggested. 'Except the chicken.'

'You’re right, Lieutenant,' Desjani said. 'Real chicken in ration bars tastes like, what, mutton?'

'Ham,' Yuon tossed in. 'Bad ham.'

'So this can’t be chicken because it tastes like chicken,' Desjani concluded.”
13 likes