Start by marking “A Season of Knives (Sir Robert Carey, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Season of Knives (Sir Robert Carey, #2)

A Season of Knives (Sir Robert Carey #2)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  473 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In 1592, Sir Robert Carey, a handsome courtier fleeing his creditors, his father's wrath, and the close scrutiny of his Queen, came north to Carlisle to take up his new post as Deputy Warden of the West March. The presence of his true love, the married Elizabeth Widdrington, was no mere coincidence. Before long, Sir Robert was up to his ruff in horse rustling and treason ( ...more
Published May 1st 2000 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Season of Knives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Season of Knives

Carolyn
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sir Robert Carey has survived his first week as Deputy Warden in Carlisle on the borders of Scotland, managing to avert a plot to kidnap King James VI of Scotland. Now he is being framed for murder and must untangle a web of love, greed and betrayal to find the real murderer and save his own life.

This second novel in this historical series is just as good as the first. Robert Carey, is not quite the naive Englishman the Northerners and Scots take him today but neither is he perfect and that keep
Jamie Collins
This second book is just as good as the first one. It has really great characterization, and gives you a nice feeling of being immersed in Tudor England - not at court, or in London, but out in the Marches where law and order is a vague concept. People don’t expect justice, but only hope for the protection of family or those officials they can afford to bribe.

This book has more focus on the murder mystery, and I particularly liked the argument offered by the women for why it must have been a man
Heidi
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The whole series is a delight! Her writing style transports you straight to late Elizabethan England, or, more precisely the wild, wild North of 16th century England. Her characters are lovable and most and best of all depicted as being very human, unashamedly displaying an array of emotions (warts and all!). Woven within this rich tapestry of the era is an engaging mystery which doesn't so much dominate the storyline but appears to run in tandem with the main characters' everyday lives. Having ...more
Phrynne
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I find that I really enjoy historical mysteries and this is another excellent series! The books revolve around the life of Sir Robert Carey, a real person given a personality and imaginary adventures by the author. This is the second in the series and is every bit as good as the first. The historical detail is excellent, the characterisations get better all the time and the story is great fun. I failed to guess the real baddies - there were so many to choose from! If you enjoy this genre then gi ...more
Mike Taverner
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a good series and a fine journey into history
Rhode
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
More of a mystery plot than the last one, and than is typically my favorite in books. (I read historic mysteries for the people and history, don't give a damn about solving a plot's puzzle.) That said, this is absolutely lovely.

It does a far better job than the first book did in fleshing out the various secondary characters around Carey (the adventure and Carey himself dominated the first.) So now I have enough interest and love for them to carry me through many more volumes.

Plus, great scenes
Alison
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure I read this book when it came out in the 1990s, but apart from a comfortably familiar sense of expectation, I was able to read the whole thing again Carwithout remembering any key plot points.
Undoubtedly, this series strength is its strong sense of time and place - you can almost smell the horse dung as the world of the borderlands comes to life. The choice of Carey as main protagonist both provides an audience POV and a bit of Elizabethan spice, bringing in the world of the cour
Virginia Taylor
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love this series. The books are short and lively and the stories are set in the border country between 16th century Scotland and England. The historical detail is delightful and the characters are starting to grow familiar. Sir Robert, our hero deals with his mysteries at his pace, helped by various smart women. I'll read the whole series and I certainly recommend them to anyone who enjoys Dorothy Dunnett.
MB (What she read)
Aug 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Diana Gabaldon or Ariana Franklin. Maybe Sayers and Maron as well.
This series is amazing! I enjoy her elegant writing and her restraint. There is just enough and not too much.

Sir Robert Carey has the potential to be an over-the-top character yet he remains just human and fallible enough to be a truly enjoyable hero. Lots of wonderful 3-dimensional supporting characters keep the story moving and the reader entertained. The plots are complicated and the mystery elements are handled very well, I think.

I can't wait to get my hands on the next one!
Natalie
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping story and wonderful characters

I think I might be obsessed with this series. I absolutely love the characters, especially the strong-willed women who often show up the men in charge.
Patricia
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Each book in this series is so wonderful. The characters and plots are so well-written and finely developed; the story taken from the "real-life" experiences of Sir Robert Carey...a man who had more adventures in a lifetime than several people together.
Frances
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
By mistake, I read this book out of order which, I try never to do. It was still a five star book. I'm enjoying this series and so sorry that there are only two more books to read.
Judy Sutherland
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delight

This series is a real find. Complex plot, great characters, vividly written. If you like historical fiction, try these books.
Gmaharriet
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A complex tale, full of twists and surprises. I enjoyed it.
Jackleen
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just wonderful to find a historical mystery series with such good characters. Each book gets better ndmore.
Alison
May 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Just as good as the first in the series.
Scott Harris
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
See previous reviews. Great read
Cheryl
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-edition
Another ripping good yarn about Robert Carey!
A.W. Hartoin
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Book Two more than Book One. Maybe I just got used to the crazy Scottish names :)
pdarnold
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable adventure with Sir Robert Carey.

Mystery, intrigue, false accusations, honesty, family, friendship, life and death, the feeling of the hangman's noose drawing ever tighter.
Carolyn
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great period detail, parts made me laugh out loud, interesting plot twists, three-dimensional characters. I liked it very much!
Ruth Gilbert
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The series continues brilliantly. Ah Robert Carey.
Nancy
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This historical fiction/mystery was the first one I've read about Robert Carey. It was enjoyable.
Nigel
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Thoroughly enjoyable, witty and exciting historical murder mystery set on the Scottish border in the 17th century.
Valerie Hutcheson
Jodie
Feb 24, 2015
Lexie Conyngham
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lots of action with convincing historical detail, both amusing and moving.
  • Firedrake's Eye (David Becket and Simon Ames, #1)
  • Reflecting the Sky (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #7)
  • Season of the Raven (Servant of the Crown Mystery, #1)
  • A Play of Treachery (Joliffe the Player, #5)
  • SPQR IV: The Temple of the Muses (SPQR, #4)
  • The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3)
  • Semper Fidelis (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #5)
  • Faded Coat of Blue (Abel Jones, #1)
  • Shroud for the Archbishop (Sister Fidelma, #2)

Sir Robert Carey (8 books)
  • A Famine of Horses (Sir Robert Carey, #1)
  • A Surfeit of Guns (Sir Robert Carey, #3)
  • A Plague of Angels (Sir Robert Carey, #4)
  • A Murder of Crows (Sir Robert Carey, #5)
  • An Air of Treason (Sir Robert Carey, #6)
  • A Chorus of Innocents (Sir Robert Carey #7)
  • A Clash of Spheres (Sir Robert Carey #8)

“Carey was one of those appalling people who wake refreshed and ready for anything every morning about an hour before everyone else, and then bounce around whistling happily, avoiding death only because they move faster than the people who want to kill them.” 4 likes