Start by marking “I'm a Shark” as Want to Read:
I'm a Shark

I'm a Shark

Shark's not afraid of anything.

The dark?

Nah.

A big mean bear?

Don't make him laugh!

But there is one thing that even Shark fears. . . . Can you guess what it is?
Published April 26th 2011 by Balzer + Bray

karen
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shaaaaarks, kiddiwinx

it's shark week - for babies!

i got this book out of the library for shark week 2015. and when you take children's books out of the library, sometimes children have already gotten their sticky little hands on them, so you end up with stuff like this

photo IMG_5819_zpsgz3arcje.jpg

which is just cruel. a shark's mouth is no place for a puppy to romp.

he has been eated up!

photo IMG_5820_zpsmchnsdn0.jpg

the artwork in this is typical bob shea-adorable

photo IMG_5821_zpshrl6gqi9.jpg

photo IMG_5826_zpsiazrkxs9.jpg

and, in what i believe
Jaime Sanborn
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm a Shark would make a cute read-aloud duet: The black text to be read by the adult, the white text by the child. It would also be fun to have two librarians team up and read this as a duet for story time! This book is adorable from its dedication (which includes a scanned copy of the author's young son's artwork) to the jacket flap (which includes a father-son photo). I'm a Shark contains a dialogue between narrator and shark which is truly between father and son. You can just imagine the bed ...more
Alex
Jun 28, 2016 marked it as to-read
WHY YES I AM INDEED A SHARK
Ashley Stude
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shark by Bob Shea is a very unique and interesting story. It is about a shark who claims everything is scared of him and he is awesome. The first couple of pages are very funny in the illustrations, which I will talk about later in this review. As the book goes on, a little crab comes into the story and starts to ask the shark what he is afraid of. The shark says he isn't scared of anything, everything is scared of him, but the crab finds out that there is one little tiny insect that frightens t ...more
Casandria
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So funny!!! Sharks are totally awesome!
Feelings
Sharks
Spiders
Phillip
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
An exploratory look into the responses to fear and courage. Told with plenty of humor.
Jill
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A shark who is afraid of nothing...except spiders. Ha!
nicole
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I think Bob Shea is officially our go to author when we need to buy a present. Earlier this week I handed Ben a pile of Nicole-approved picture books when we were looking to buy a present for our five year old pal's birthday, but when I saw "I'm a Shark" I knew he'd soon forget the others. I had to read it aloud to him (to Ben, the 26 year old, I mean) because I knew he'd really enjoy it. And he did.

Funny. Great comedic timing which of course means great read aloud. Simple illustration with grea
Dolly
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We recently saw Bob Shea at the National Book Festival at the National Mall in Washington DC. He's a very interesting and down-to-earth dad who writes about what he knows and experiences through being a parent. After the event, we decided to borrow more of his books from our local library.

This is a funny story about a shark who's not afraid of anything, except perhaps for a creepy spider. The illustrations are expressive and humorous. And the narrative helps children understand that even the bi
Heather Schmitt
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Bob Shea is AWESOME!!! This is a perfect book to read to kids (*ahem* that's my story and I'm sticking to it) - the art work is un-fussy and the story is original and fresh...and short - perfect for when you're exhusted and your child wants a story read right before bed. Shark is absolutely hysterical in his dislike of spiders - in the words of Shark, "That's not scared - that's smart". Awesome,awesome,awesome!!!!
Anthony
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
"Oh my goodness, It's a totally awesome shark!"

If you were a shark what would you be afraid of? A squid? A dinosaur? A bear? You will enjoy finding out.

Read this with a Boston accent that is anywhere close to serviceable and your kids will think it's funny. Mine do anyway. I also read it to some adults who were crying before I finished.

This is a must have read aloud book for any home or library.
Heather
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
One of my new favorite staff picks! Meet a bold little shark with an irrepressible attitude, who is just bursting with confidence in every situation... unless one particular thing happens to be involved. This is a charming & funny read-aloud with an irresistible protagonist.
Edward Sullivan
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute shark has arachnophobia.
Caroline
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A picture book that gets funnier every time you read it out loud.
The Library Lady
Aug 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Funny but somewhat uneven.
Meghan Hunt
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jp-picture-books
This would be fun to use in a preschool storytime about sharks.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, shark, water
I love Bob Shea! He makes me happy!
Diana Thomsen
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, storytime
Oh, my. This book. I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much I laughed while reading it! Seriously. The way the shark keeps asking if there's a spider involved cracked me up! It isn't a great book, by any means, but it really was pretty funny, and had a good message about how everyone is afraid of something. It may seem silly to other people, but that doesn't make the fear less genuine. Recommended.
Lynn  Davidson
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a story that's a great read from start to finish.
Shark is proud to be a shark. He is sure he is awesome and scary and afraid of nothing. Well, he SAYS he's afraid of nothing, but there is that one little thing ....

The illustrations are as funny as the text in this amusing story for young readers.
Pam
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Shark is not afraid of anything but spiders. He lets everyone know he's totally awesome and willing to take on lots of scary things - except spiders.
Young readers will enjoy the humorous dialogue and cartoonish illustrations.
Tracy Morton
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is really funny. It is about a shark who claims not to be afraid of anything but is really, really afraid of spiders. It is a lot of dialogue which I usually don't like but it worked well in this book.
Diane
"I'm not afraid of the dark - the dark is afraid of me! Dark heard I was coming and ran!"

So fun!
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome shark is awesome
Miss Sarah
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A shark goes through talking about how tough he is and everything is afraid of him but eh seems to be afraid of something too. Silly and fun. Preschool or one on one for humor.
Radha TheLibrarian
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
LOVE this one.
Jenni Joru
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Hai ei pelkää pimeyttä, pimeys pelkää haita. Hai ei edes itke, kun sitä rokotetaan. Mutta ON asia, jota jopa hait pelkäävät!

Höpsö kirja haista, jolla on rautainen itsetunto.
Sarah Cho
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kel Midthnaetitulla
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just bought this book for my nephew and it is great. Super silly!
  • Blue Chameleon
  • Say Hello to Zorro!
  • Mitchell's License
  • Bone Dog
  • I'm Not.
  • Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
  • You're Finally Here!
  • The Sniffles for Bear
  • The Loud Book!
Bob Shea has written and illustrated over a dozen picture books including the popular Dinosaur vs. Bedtime and the cult favorite Big Plans illustrated by Lane Smith.

His characters and animations have appeared on Nick Jr, Playhouse Disney and PBS Kids.

Bob spends his days writing, drawing and having “conversations” with NPR.