Start by marking “Locke & Key, Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Locke & Key, Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom

Locke & Key, Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom

(Locke & Key #4)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  28,649 ratings  ·  1,745 reviews
Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez's Locke & Key unwinds into its fourth volume in Keys to the Kingdom. With more keys making themselves known, and the depths of the Locke family's mystery ever-expanding, Dodge's desperation to end his shadowy quest drives the inhabitants of Keyhouse ever closer to a revealing conclusion. ...more
Published February 2013 by IDW Publishing (first published July 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Locke & Key, Vol. 4, please sign up.
Tereza I thought it was really unfitting. Especially the fact that Calvin and Hobbes stood for the real world, and the actual drawings for fantasy. I don't k…moreI thought it was really unfitting. Especially the fact that Calvin and Hobbes stood for the real world, and the actual drawings for fantasy. I don't know, it would make more sense to turn it around, especially when the issue was so brutal, you could've softened it with Calvin and Hobbes. (less)

·  28,649 ratings  ·  1,745 reviews

Start your review of Locke & Key, Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom
Anne
2020

3rd time reading this particular volume and it still holds up quite well.
The major plot developments in this one make it one of the more gasp! *sob* installments for me. I always seem to forget what happens and that ending sneaks up on me.
For those of you who are wondering, reading these will not spoil the Netflix show or vice versa. There are quite a few differences between the two storylines. And personally, I usually like it (or at least don't mind) when movies or shows take a bit of a d
Kayla Dawn
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
A little less awesome than the first 3 but still very entertaining.
Tan Markovic
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Man I love this story so much
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

You guys are all aware of the fact that I’m an idiot, right? Yeah, I thought so. Just to confirm, I’m going to tell you a little secret. I accidentally started reading Locke and Key Volume 5 instead of 4 the other day. Luckily I figured out my mistake once I made it past Chapter 1 (which was a flashback). Then I started reading what I thought was Keys to the Kingdom only to find myself reading . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

Calvin and Hobbes?

Dallas Commercial Photography

These all
David Schaafsma
So I am seeing the Netflix Locke and Key series (which feels a little like a bit more family-friendly version than Jill and Rodriguez intended, but is still good and enjoyable) so am rereading these volumes and enjoying them again. In this volume, there’s a Bill Watterson (Calvin & Hobbes) tribute in the first chapter where Bode (the Calvin-like character) becomes a sparrow, and there’s a WWII GI EC comix tribute featuring Rufus and Sam as soldiers.

This volume doesn't have too much happen early
Will M.
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Amazing ending! Sort of a cliffhanger, but wow I need to read the next one right away. I've said it before, but I'm saying it again, Joe Hill can fucking write.

Aside from the ending, I liked volume 3 more than this. The story continues to develop but it lacked the depth that the last volume had. I am hating the shit out of Zack as the series goes on. The characters are really likable and they continue to grow on you.

4.5/5 stars. Still shy of a .5 but it's almost there. I want more keys.
Mir
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic, fantasy
The first half was disappointingly incoherent. And what was up with those cartoony-style panels about Bode, who appears to have turned from a slightly weird, sightly dumb little boy to a very weird kid who talks like a Charles Wallace baby genius?

The second half got better. I was glad to see Rufus finally having a plot role. Ty got smarter (as one ideally does during the course of adolescence and after some rough experiences) and Kinsey got dumber (as one probably does after artificially removin
Calista
This book moves the plot forward quickly. The first chapter has a nod to Calvin and Hobbs it appears. The art is great and it can also be gorey. In this book, ever chapter has a new key that does something.

It still feels like Zack is always ahead of everything and he's going to win. Yet, Bode seems to be catching on. There was a huge cliff hanger at the end. I mean I need to find out what is going to happen.

Just like with other volumes, characters die, it looks like the Locke children might ge
exploraDora
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
***5 stars***

These comics are so damn good, I can't even!
Volume four was so much gorier than the previous ones, but it's also one that made me laugh more, at least in the first half :D

I would recommend these to any fans of Joe Hill and to any comic book fan. Both the art and the story are amazing!
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2017, graphic-novels
3.5ish stars.

The start of the volume was a bit slow but it really picked up at the end. I’m really excited now to read the next volume because that ending was crazy! The illustrations were stunning as usual.
Sam Quixote
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hmm, not a whole lot happens in the fourth Locke & Key book: Zack/Dodge is still monotonously hunting for the Omega Key. He targets an old girlfriend of Rendell’s (the Locke kids’ dead dad) who recognises him, and he continues to torment Rufus, the son of the woman he’s living with. Then it’s a waiting game until something resembling a plot emerges in the final act. It’s not really plot-driven - it’s not really character-driven either! Locke & Key’s “story” just kinda… floats there.

Maybe this i
Trudi

2015 re-read: Closing in on the final two volumes and I can barely stand the tension. I have the day off work and am blissfully binging on the terrifying thrills and spectacular adventure that is Joe Hill's Locke & Key series. I'm madly in love with this wicked crazy gothic modern fairytale about a sprawling, mysterious house with forbidden secrets hiding behind locked doors and a cast of unusual keys with the power to open them.

This story works not just on a fantastical level that blows all th
Sara
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Good wintery volume of the Locke & Key graphic novels. I wasn’t as fond of this as I was the last one. I found the pacing a little slow and sometimes the plot gets convoluted and confusing - harking back to events that happened 2 volumes ago and never mentioned again until they seem important.

However. That twist. I didn’t expect it. I didn’t see it coming. And it was good. I also do like the added complexity to the story. It’s multi faceted, hinting at future events with little Easter eggs scat
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
RCO005-1473824367

Not bad, but not great either. I felt like this volume had a lot more fillers than the others. Also the cliffhangers a little too obvious. I will go on with the series, but my interest is definitely not at its peak right now.
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, 2014

The series just gets better and better. In Keys to the Kingdom I feel the need to remark on the daring use of unconventional storytelling and experimental graphic settings. The opening issue, Sparrow is a particularly well executed homage to my all time favorite artist Bill Waterson and his newspaper style of small panel stories. The choice of Bode as a stand-in for the subversive Calvin is obvious to anyone familiar with the personalities of the Locke children. Here’s a gem from the mouth of
Shaina
Many more keys, things become even more mixed up, someone dies in the end issue and it tells you this on the cover. Dodge continues to be creepy; Bode learns about life.
Tribute to Bill Watterson.... Loved that part.
Leah
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From 5 stars to 4. I still really enjoyed this but it's slightly less awesome than I remembered.

6/16 2014
Holy shit with the ending! Why would you do this to me Joe? Why?

Wow. Just wow. If you haven't read my review of Volume 1 where I say to pick up this series and read it. Well, I'm saying it again. Read this series.

When I first opened Keys to the Kingdom, I wasn't a huge fan of the childlike artwork at first, but it grew on me, and it ended up working really well with the art I'm used to wi
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Funny enough, given that Volume 3 was my favorite of the series so far, Volume 4 was my least favorite. There was a lot of action without dialogue that made it just feel like filler material, as well as some particularly sad events that were a little bit hard to follow through the storyline.

One thing I did enjoy about this volume, however, was the opportunity it took to make fun of bigoted, racist assholes. I never get tired of that.

Series content warning: violence, sexual assault, homophobia, r
Andrew
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
So as a quick update - this is - hmm that is a good point how many times have I re-read this series anyway this is the next time. I must admit that the story is still full of twists and turns and yes the odd surprise. As I said before this really was kicked off with me watching the Netflix series however the books have now gone way beyond anything in series and honestly things are not only getting interesting (they were before) but now the stakes just keep on getting increased. This is something ...more
Trish
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my. So many new keys and almost all unknown so far (they aren't on the show). There is one to make you inhabit an animal, one to produce all kinds of toys, one that makes you strong like ten men ... and then there is the music box we know from the show.
The kids find many of those keys but unfortunately, the music box is in Doge's posession. He/she fights the kids in a number of forms a number of times but the best plan definitely is the one in the end of this volume (same principle as on the
Virginie *No more time to write reviews for the moment :( *
I preferred the first three books, but the ending was really good and I can't wait to read the next one to see what's gonna happen!
mark monday
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
oooooo... the eeriest of rollercoaster rides, a rush of images, sinister vistas zooming in and out of view, unreal tableau cascading pell-mell, willy-nilly, hurly-burly: an homage to Bill Watterson, a bloody battle between birds and wolves; racial dismay and distortion in an insane asylum; a hockey loss, a greenhouse comes alive, sprouting wings, battling chains, battling squirrels, a death-tune, the end of friendships, battling teddy bears, battling friends, the worst way to win at hockey; an h ...more
Chad
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing

After many attacks the kids finally figure some things out just in time for a major turn in the story. The Bill Watterson tribute issue is fantastic. I love the juxtaposition between the cartoony panels and the graphic battles in the backgrounds. There are so many great panels in the February issue where they just throw away battles between the Lockes and the Dark Lady in one panel. They could really revisit these and flesh each one out into an entire issue. They are so creative. I think that's
Pantelis Andreou
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Seriously.. this series.. i have no words.

Joe Hill is definitely a master with this and Rodriguez art is always a plus.

Looks like on the next one shit’s about to get real!
Ginger
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Keys to the Kingdom definitely has the gore factor from the 1st book in the Locke & Key series. A sad death and a death that's well deserved happens in this addition.
Joe Hill really brought it all together in Keys to the Kingdom!

The plot twist at the end of this Vol. 4 was fantastic! I loved the Calvin and Hobbes feel in the beginning of the book with the artwork.
Well done Gabriel Rodriguez on getting the nostalgic feel of that epic comic series! I've really enjoyed this graphic novel series and
Iryna *Book and Sword*
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25/5 stars
Things just got whole lot of crazier!
And that CLIFFHANGER?? Come on now! I only own four volumes, so now I have to go and buy the last two asap.
I am trying to guess where is this insane train going, but with the way things are unfolding - anything is possible!
They also touched up on some pretty important humane issues in this one, so I really enjoyed it.

My WEBSITE
My INSTAGRAM
My WORDPRESS BLOG
Ashley Daviau
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series just gets better and better with each installment! Not only does the storyline evolve beautifully throughout but the art gets more and more gorgeous with each new volume. I loved the contrast between the Calvin and Hobbes style illustrations and the usual style of this series, I thought it added some special extra punch to this volume! I’m also really enjoying seeing the difference in the characters from the start of the story to now and I can’t wait to see how they evolve in further ...more
Becky
Ohhhhhh snap! Shit. Just. Got. Real.

This installment was chaotic and hectic, in the best possible way. I loved how Bode's playtime was drawn in different styles. It was just so appropriate and endearing, and it fit so well to each theme of his playtime, while at the same time being just as dark and grim as any of the series has been so far.

I loved the February chapter, how it progresses the story via fight montages, without saying much of anything at all, just showing us fight after fight agai
⭐ Roxie |The Book Slayer| Voorhees ⭐
At a close second to my fav of the series, Keys to the Kingdom starts with the introduction of the animal key. This key is awesome, it turns you into an animal by walking through a special door in the courtyard. I would hope I would turn into something cool and useful, like, a raven, but my luck and I would be turned into a turtle.

Many new keys were introduced in this volume. I hope we get to see their powers in the show as well!
Steven
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Holy cow, that took a really quick much-darker-than-usual turn.
Play Book Tag: Locke & Key. Vol. 4. Keys to the Kingdom / Joe Hill. 3.5 stars 1 9 Feb 11, 2017 10:32PM
Can't wait 3 54 Apr 03, 2012 06:59PM

• Preacher, Volume 6: War in the Sun
  • Clive Barker's Nightbreed Vol. 1
  • Chew, Vol. 4: Flambé
  • Harrow County, Vol. 2: Twice Told
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 8: Old Is the New New (The Wicked + The Divine #8)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine, #1)
Joe Hill's debut, Heart-Shaped Box, won the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel. His second, Horns, was made into a film freakfest starring Daniel Radcliffe. His other novels include NOS4A2, and his #1 New York Times Best-Seller, The Fireman... which was also the winner of a 2016 Goodreads Choice Award for Best Horror Novel.

He writes short stories too. Some of them were gathered together in

Locke & Key (6 books)