Start by marking “Pumpkin Pumpkin” as Want to Read:
Pumpkin Pumpkin

Pumpkin Pumpkin

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  829 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
Jamie plants a pumpkin seed in the spring and, after watching it grow all summer, carves a face in it for Halloween! But best of all, he saves some seeds that he will plant again next spring. "Truly a book for all seasons."--Horn Book.
Published 1986 by Mulberry Books

To ask other readers questions about Pumpkin Pumpkin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pumpkin Pumpkin

Manybooks
Jeanne Titherington's Pumpkin Pumpkin (about a little boy named Jamie who plants a pumpkin seed in the spring and then in late October harvests a large pumpkin to carve into a Jack O'Lantern for Halloween) is the type of picture book that while the illustrations I have found sweetly magical and very much appreciatively evocative, the actual text, the narrative presented alongside of these glowing and wonderful pictorial images leaves (at least for me on a personal level) more than a bit to be de ...more
Kathryn
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS
My sons and I enjoyed Pumpkin Pumpkin. I think part of the charm for me was in the 80s style illustrations; they bring up warm childhood memories! ;-) I like the softness and gentleness in them, too--so many autumn books are very bright and bold, which makes sense given the gorgeous colors this time of year, but it was nice to see something a little different. I agree that the text wasn't particularly special, but as a mom of two wee ones, I did appreciate that it was simple yet fairly
Lisa Vegan
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Halloween reading; very young children and early independent readers
The illustrations are lovely, with an old-fashioned look and cute details.

The story is very simple with very few words on each page and not too many pages, even for a picture book.

I’m a pumpkin fan, and my only disappointment in this book is that there is no mention of pumpkins for eating.

However, it’s a great book for reading around Halloween (think jack-o’-lanterns) and also good for learning about and reading about the life cycle of a pumpkin, and gardening. This book can be enjoyed by the y
Polly
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
The only Halloween-ish Big Book we own at my library, so it gets a lot of use! Cute story, the kids find it hard to believe that the little green pumpkin is really a pumpkin at all.
Jenny
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
A simple introduction to the life cycle of the pumpkin. Jamie plants a pumpkin seed and watches as it sprouts, grows a flower, and then grows a pumpkin. The illustrations are lovely.
Nicole Bryan
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
Summary: This story starts with Jamie planting a pumpkin seed. It shows the life cycle of a pumpkin.
Reflection: Very easy to understand. Great pictures! Perfect for introducing or reviewing life cycles.
Use in Class: This is a perfect book for doing life cycles! This book is great for pre-K during the fall! Students can do a craft showing the life cycle of pumpkins and even sprout pumpkin seeds!
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Melanie
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Author: Jeanne Titherington
Interest Level: K-2
Grade Level Equivalent: 1.5
DRA: N/A
Lexile:260 L

This is a book about how a young boy plants a seed to grow a pumpkin. He plants the seed, it turns into a sprout that turns into a flower and the flower finally turns into a pumpkin. The pumpkin keeps getting bigger until Jamie picks it then he keeps some seeds for next year. An easy read with repetitive words that can help students work on their reading.
Atsupui Dogbla
This book describes how three grows. From the seed to the three, the different stages of growing plant. This book is more scientific, and experimental. Children may conduct an experience. They may sow a seed and watch it grow while watering it, and figuring out how long it will take a seed to grow. A scientific experience; from there they can expand to grow a garden, or landscape...
Julia
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My mother's cousin wrote and illustrated this book, and I love it! I remember being so proud when we read it in grade school that I knew the author. It's the story of a pumpkin, and the boy who grows it, and there's even a shout-out to seed-saving. Jeanne lives full-time in Maine now, the way life should be.
Diana S
My granddaughter and her friends plan on saving their own pumpkin seeds and plant them next year.
Nora
Nov 02, 2013 added it
My girls and all of my students (all of them, whatever the age) love this book. It's great for the young readers to read to their friends in the classroom.
Megan
Jan 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, simple, perfect for a toddler storytime.
Jessica
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty cute. Will read to my kiddos and do a compare contrast activity.
Tiffany
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
An extremely simple and straightforward book for very young children. Doesn't have a lot to offer the parents, though.

Morals: Not a part of this book, although if you wanted to you could discuss gardening. 0/5
Storyline: Barely existant. 1/5
Pictures: On each double-page spread, the left page has a full page of colors and the right page has a few words. Perhaps this is my book's age showing, but the colors are very dull and faded. 3/5
Amanda Shreve
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-21-30
Summary
A little boy plants a pumpkin seed. He watches it through the different phases of the life cycle before carving it.
Evaluation
I gave this book four out of five stars. The illustrations do a great job showing children the different parts of a pumpkin life cycle.
Teaching Point
This would be a good book to use in October to teach the life cycle of a pumpkin (plant).
Chelsea Williams
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
I chose this book because the cover looked really enticing. It made me think that it would be a good read. I really enjoyed the book. It is short, but tells the full story. It would be good for little kids to learn how pumpkins or plants grow!
Kelly
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book to teach about pumpkins from the seed and the illustrations are wonderful!
Michelle
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Worked well in ST
Kevin Huot
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book is about the life cycle of a pumpkin. I enjoyed this book because it allows children to see the relationship between the words and the pictures. I would use this to show how pumpkins grow and possibly with an experiment.
Brady Nordstedt
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
i would this book around Halloween time to talk about pumpkins and how they grow and then hopefully follow this up with a trip to he pumpkin patch.
David
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Pumpkin Pumpkin by Jeanne Titherington is the simple story of Jamie, who plants a pumpkin seed, watches it grow, picks it, carves it into a jack-o-lantern, and saves some seeds to plant in the spring.

Jamie plants a pumpkin seed and watches it sprout into a pumpkin plant. Jamie watches the pumpkin flower grow into a very large pumpkin. After Jamie picks it and hauls it in his wagon, he carves it into a jack-o-lantern. Jamie carefully saves six seeds to plant next spring.

The text features a large
Jenny Schuth
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Pumpkin Pumpkin is all about a boy who plants some pumpkin seeds and it follows the life of the pumpkin from seed to being picked. This was such a cute story and very accurate. I loved the illustrations. This story made science fun and reminds kids that it's about discovery and learning about what's all around you. This. Would be perfect to pull out at Halloween to get kids excited to learn about everything around them that they see and use regularly. To stop and look at the pumpkin they are car ...more
Tammy Knowles
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book Pumpkin Pumpkin. by Jeanne Titherington is a book about how a young boy plants a seed to grow a pumpkin. He plants the seed, it turns into a sprout that turns into a flower and the flower finally turns into a pumpkin. The pumpkin keeps getting bigger until Jami that tells about the life cycle of a pumpkin. You can use it to help you explain to children how things change over time, and help you teach them about writing in the past, present, and future. You can also use this book for a sc ...more
Jessica Vu
I love the table of contents in the front of this short story book.
This is a good informational book. Teachers can bring in different sized pumkins and pass them around
Sequencing- see if students understand the order of the book. From planting the seed to making pumpkin bread
Science - have students collect and record data on the growth of their pumkin or carrot seed. The book gives you the info it needs for it.

Math - measure the circumfrence of the different pumpkins and their weight. Graph

pull
Shante' Polite
Title: Pumpkin Pumpkin
Author: Jeanne Titherington
Publishing and Date: Greenwillow Books, 1990

Summary: The book is a very short non-fiction book that is ideal for very young readers which explains the life cycle of pumpkin.

Activity: Around Halloween, I would use this book. This book went into a little bit of detail about the life cycle of pumpkins. Therefore, this book could be used to teach students about the life cycle of a pumpkin and how it grows from a tiny seed to an adult orange pumpkin.
Molly
This is kind of your run-of-the-mill pumpkin story where somebody plants a seed, watches it grow, makes a jack-o-lantern and then saves seeds to plant next year. But in this book, the somebody is a cute, curious-looking little boy with great facial expressions. Also on every page (or almost every page) is some new creature in the garden, which is fun to point out and look at. The illustrations are beautiful and I just like the feel.
LeAndra Simone
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a good story for teaching transitions and different seasons. The story includes a young boy who has planted pumpkins and harvests them, and saves some seeds to plant for the next year. I used this story in my classroom, when introducing our unit on seasons, weather, and pumpkins. It is a good book to pull different resources from. Several of our class activities were inspired by this book.
Courtney Williams
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction

Dynasty Zayas

Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book are breath taking. This is a great book to introduce seeds and plant life. This book is a very easy read; most of the pages have one word. This is also a great book to use for sequencing. I love this book for kindergarten and first grade lessons. I also think this is a great way for students to explore writing their own step by step stories.
  • It's Pumpkin Time!
  • Too Many Pumpkins
  • Pumpkin Jack
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden
  • Pumpkin Eye
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • The Pumpkin Book
  • Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • The Jacket I Wear in the Snow
  • Mouse's First Halloween
"It was never my plan to become a writer and illustrator of children's books. Although I knew from the age of ten that I wanted to be an artist, it took a long time to discover just what kind of an artist I would be.

"When I was in art school, first at Pratt Institute and then at Portland School of Art, I was a painting major.

"After exhibiting my work several times during the next few years, I was
More about Jeanne Titherington