Start by marking “Pumpkin Pumpkin” as Want to Read:
Pumpkin Pumpkin

Pumpkin Pumpkin

Jamie plants a pumpkin seed in the spring and, after watching it grow all summer, carves a face in it for Halloween! But best of all, he saves some seeds that he will plant again next spring. "Truly a book for all seasons."--Horn Book.
Published 1986 by Mulberry Books

To ask other readers questions about Pumpkin Pumpkin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pumpkin Pumpkin

Start your review of Pumpkin Pumpkin
Manybooks
Jeanne Titherington's Pumpkin Pumpkin (about a little boy named Jamie who plants a pumpkin seed in the spring and then in late October harvests a large pumpkin to carve into a Jack O'Lantern for Halloween) is the type of picture book that while the illustrations I have found sweetly magical and very much appreciatively evocative, the actual text, the narrative presented alongside of these glowing and wonderful pictorial images leaves (at least for me on a personal level) more than a bit to be de ...more
Kathryn
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS
My sons and I enjoyed Pumpkin Pumpkin. I think part of the charm for me was in the 80s style illustrations; they bring up warm childhood memories! ;-) I like the softness and gentleness in them, too--so many autumn books are very bright and bold, which makes sense given the gorgeous colors this time of year, but it was nice to see something a little different. I agree that the text wasn't particularly special, but as a mom of two wee ones, I did appreciate that it was simple yet fairly
Lisa Vegan
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Halloween reading; very young children and early independent readers
The illustrations are lovely, with an old-fashioned look and cute details.

The story is very simple with very few words on each page and not too many pages, even for a picture book.

I’m a pumpkin fan, and my only disappointment in this book is that there is no mention of pumpkins for eating.

However, it’s a great book for reading around Halloween (think jack-o’-lanterns) and also good for learning about and reading about the life cycle of a pumpkin, and gardening. This book can be enjoyed by the y
June
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young gardening and pumpkin requests
Very simple story about a boy growing a pumpkin. I have used this in toddler and lap programs for years. 10/29/13

Used for my Baby/Toddler Story Times for a Halloween feel.
Polly
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
The only Halloween-ish Big Book we own at my library, so it gets a lot of use! Cute story, the kids find it hard to believe that the little green pumpkin is really a pumpkin at all.
Jenny
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
A simple introduction to the life cycle of the pumpkin. Jamie plants a pumpkin seed and watches as it sprouts, grows a flower, and then grows a pumpkin. The illustrations are lovely.
Nicole Bryan
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
Summary: This story starts with Jamie planting a pumpkin seed. It shows the life cycle of a pumpkin.
Reflection: Very easy to understand. Great pictures! Perfect for introducing or reviewing life cycles.
Use in Class: This is a perfect book for doing life cycles! This book is great for pre-K during the fall! Students can do a craft showing the life cycle of pumpkins and even sprout pumpkin seeds!
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Melanie
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Author: Jeanne Titherington
Interest Level: K-2
Grade Level Equivalent: 1.5
DRA: N/A
Lexile:260 L

This is a book about how a young boy plants a seed to grow a pumpkin. He plants the seed, it turns into a sprout that turns into a flower and the flower finally turns into a pumpkin. The pumpkin keeps getting bigger until Jamie picks it then he keeps some seeds for next year. An easy read with repetitive words that can help students work on their reading.
Julia
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My mother's cousin wrote and illustrated this book, and I love it! I remember being so proud when we read it in grade school that I knew the author. It's the story of a pumpkin, and the boy who grows it, and there's even a shout-out to seed-saving. Jeanne lives full-time in Maine now, the way life should be.
Atsupui Dogbla
This book describes how three grows. From the seed to the three, the different stages of growing plant. This book is more scientific, and experimental. Children may conduct an experience. They may sow a seed and watch it grow while watering it, and figuring out how long it will take a seed to grow. A scientific experience; from there they can expand to grow a garden, or landscape...
Megan
Jan 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, simple, perfect for a toddler storytime.
Nora
Nov 02, 2013 added it
My girls and all of my students (all of them, whatever the age) love this book. It's great for the young readers to read to their friends in the classroom.
Diana S
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My granddaughter and her friends plan on saving their own pumpkin seeds and plant them next year.
Jessica
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty cute. Will read to my kiddos and do a compare contrast activity.
Aleah Johnson
Summary:
A little boy named Jamie takes readers through each step of the life of a pumpkin. It begins with Jamie planting a pumpkin seed. After a while, the pumpkin begins to sprout, flower, turn into a small pumpkin, grow more and more until it is finally big enough for Jamie to pick it. After picking the pumpkin, Jamie carves it and sits it in his window sill. The story ends by Jamie saving seeds to plant another pumpkin for next year.

Evaluation:
I liked "Pumpkin Pumpkin" because it is a fun and
Brianna Allman
This book is about a boy who plants some pumpkin seeds. He watches it grow and grow and eventually picks the pumpkin. He carves the inside out, but remembers to keep a few seeds for spring.

I really like this book and think it is perfect for reading in the fall. The pictures show the process the pumpkin goes through and the excitement on the boys face builds as time goes on. It shows what you can do with a few seeds. I think it is simple enough for young readers as well.
I think this could be us
Lily
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute story that features a little boy and a pumpkin plant. As a reader, we follow this pumpkin plant through its regular growth cycle and get to see the different stages of growth the pumpkin goes through. The pumpkin starts as a seed, then grows to a vine, grows to a flower, a small pumpkin and then eventually grows to a fully grown and ripe pumpkin ready for carving. The pictures are adorable and really add to the story in the way of visualization and the observable changes that can ...more
Kayley King
I think that this book is a perfect fall book. It is about the sequence of a growing pumpkin and about turning it into a jack-o-lantern in the end. This book has really pretty illustrations that look like they were made with colored pencil. The words in the book are large print and the vocabulary is pretty simple so I would recommend this book for students in K-2, but if you were to use it to teach about the growth of plants then it could be used for older grades to. This book would be perfect a ...more
Erin B
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
Genre: contemporary realistic; grades: K-2. This book is a perfect book to use to determine a child's reading level. It's a simple read that can give a food indication of where a student stands in their ability to read and comprehend a story. It follows a little boy's journey of planting a pumpkin seed and watching it grow. Not only is it a cute book about a little boy and his pumpkin, but it also informs the reader about how a pumpkin grows- how it starts and how it ends up. This is a simple, y ...more
Samantha
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: realistic
1. N/A
2. This book is appropriate for grades preK-3.
3. Jamie plants a pumping seed and it beings to sprout and grow. From a sprout, to a plant, to a flower, and then to a pumpkin. The pumpkin grows and grows until Jamie picks it to bring home. At home he scoops out the pulp and carves a face into the pumpkin, but he makes suer to save some seeds for next year.
4. This is a great book as it shows the whole planting process from seed all the way to full grown and being picked. It also has great p
Tiffany
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
An extremely simple and straightforward book for very young children. Doesn't have a lot to offer the parents, though.

Morals: Not a part of this book, although if you wanted to you could discuss gardening. 0/5
Storyline: Barely existant. 1/5
Pictures: On each double-page spread, the left page has a full page of colors and the right page has a few words. Perhaps this is my book's age showing, but the colors are very dull and faded. 3/5
MotherofReaders

This was a sweet and simple pumpkin book featuring a young boy. The illustrations are beautiful and fantastically realistic. I thought my daughter hadn’t chosen it this week, but it turns out she was just reading it on her own without me. Given the very simple text, I would it recommend it as a seasonal read for a toddler (or an older child who prefers minimalist text for whatever reason).
Amanda Shreve
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-21-30
Summary
A little boy plants a pumpkin seed. He watches it through the different phases of the life cycle before carving it.
Evaluation
I gave this book four out of five stars. The illustrations do a great job showing children the different parts of a pumpkin life cycle.
Teaching Point
This would be a good book to use in October to teach the life cycle of a pumpkin (plant).
Jana
With large, simple text and gorgeous illustrations this fall picture book tells the story of a little boy and a pumpkin seed. Jamie plants a pumpkin seed and spends all summer watching it grow. When the pumpkin is ready, he carves it and saves six of the seeds to plant next year. This would be another good book to share as part of a lesson on plants and seeds.
Chelsea Williams
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
I chose this book because the cover looked really enticing. It made me think that it would be a good read. I really enjoyed the book. It is short, but tells the full story. It would be good for little kids to learn how pumpkins or plants grow!
Kelly
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book to teach about pumpkins from the seed and the illustrations are wonderful!
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The pictures are super old school, but the text is great for a toddler storytime!
Sarah Collins
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful classic for fall! I found it on my daughter's shelf..turned out it's signed to me from my own childhood!
Charlotte
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fall
This book has beautiful illustrations of a boy planting and watching a pumpkin grow. The story is simple and short and the artwork is lovely.
Ellon
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
A simple book about pumpkins. Perfect for sequencing.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Nuts to You!
  • Thanks for Thanksgiving
  • The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
"It was never my plan to become a writer and illustrator of children's books. Although I knew from the age of ten that I wanted to be an artist, it took a long time to discover just what kind of an artist I would be.

"When I was in art school, first at Pratt Institute and then at Portland School of Art, I was a painting major.

"After exhibiting my work several times during the next few years, I was