Start by marking “The Dead (Dubliners)” as Want to Read:
The Dead (Dubliners)

The Dead (Dubliners)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  12,647 Ratings  ·  533 Reviews
He asked himself what is a woman standing on the stairs in the shadow, listening to distant music, a symbol of.

Often cited as the best work of short fiction ever written, Joyce's elegant story details a New Year's Eve gathering in Dublin that is so evocative and beautiful that it prompts the protagonist's wife to make a shocking revelation to her husband—closing the story
Collection
Published (first published 1914)

Steven  Godin
As with life, there are the small experiences so basic and common to most people that evokes a primal force from deep within. One of them of course is the family get-together, especially at Christmas time, a time where affecting memories are brought to the surface, of loved ones no longer here. Through all the chit-chat, artifices, tensions, jokes, warmth, laughter, and faithful hugs, however brief these moments are, there is a poignant notion stirred by the knowledge that we all come from someb ...more
Fernando
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Su alma se derrumbaba lentamente mientras escuchaba caer la suave nieve a través del universo y caer leve como el descenso de su último ocaso, sobre todos los vivos y los muertos."

Demasiado corto para ser una novela y demasiado largo para ser un cuento, “The Dead” ocupa el decimoquinto y último lugar en el libro de James Joyce “Dublineses” y es el de mayor extensión, belleza, narrativa, poética y literaria de ese gran libro.
Escribo su título en inglés, porque al encontrarnos con el artículo “Th
Brian
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
snow was general all over Ireland

I am in DFW (the airport, not the author) on a layover eating an execrable meal from a forgettable airport restaurant. Punch drunk from too much air travel over the past 24 hours, emotionally frayed at having dropped my daughter off with her mother after spending a fabulous week with her in San Francisco, I'm chewing tasteless food while looking into the restaurant with the glassy-eyed, 1000 yard stare of the weary traveler.

A family of four takes the table direc
Duane
The Dead is considered by many to be Joyce's best short story. It is included in the short story collection, The Dubliners. It is the last in the collection and long, almost novella length. It's very different from Ulysses, very melancholic and introspective in nature.
Greta
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Greta by: David Schaafsma
Drinking too much can turn you into an emotional hot mess.
Being in love can do that to you too.
Being in love and drinking...
Well you would probably rather wish you were dead.

photo 88D5D210-DFE0-46B1-89A7-1551424A6F4C.jpg
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Dead, James Joyce
"The Dead" is the final story in the 1914 collection Dubliners by James Joyce. The other stories in the collection are shorter, The Dead is long enough to be described as a novella.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: بیست و هشتم ماه ژوئن سال 2005 میلادی
عنوان: مردگان؛ نویسنده: جیمز جویس؛ مترجم: مجید امین موید؛ تهران، اشاره، 1383؛ در 83 ص؛ ویراست دوم در 100 ص؛ 1395؛ شابک: 9789645772435؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان ایرلندی - قرن 20 م
عنوان: مردگان؛ نویسنده: جیمز جویس؛ مترجم: علیرضا متین نیا؛ مش
Jacob
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Younger me, the 18-year-old college kid in 2005 who was too scared to read this story for his film class and chose an alternate project, adapting a small scene from a then-favorite book into a short screenplay, instead...

...was an idiot.

Because this story is brilliant, and it knocks me senseless every time, and yet my stupid teenage fear of James Joyce's work kept me from reading it for years. Granted, it meant that I didn't have to write a dumb compara
Dannii Elle
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to a terrific audio recording, found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQBq8..., alongside my Kindle edition of this and it truly brought the story to life.

This novella is the last to feature in Joyce's infamous collection, Dubliners, and is cited as his greatest masterpiece. The story develops during a New Year's Eve party, thrown by the Morkan sisters, where the frivolities and festivities of the night act as a catalyst for one of the attendants to make a shocking revelation to h
brian
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
goddamn is this good. it's those last two pages... you hit those two pages and WHAM! if it doesn't destroy you, then you just ain't human.
Pantelis
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Immortal...
Julie Christine
The volumes of literary analysis of The Dead proclaim this as the perfect short story ever written. The instructor of a short-story writing workshop I attended recently made the same proclamtion. He admonished our gathering to read this at once and to reread it at least once a year, as an example of writing at its most sublime.

Hyperbole? I don't know that it matters. It moved me to tears.

I knew nothing of the story, nor have I read Joyce beyond an aborted attempt a dozen years ago at "A Portrait
Jacob
Is there a Lesser Bloomsday, an other Day of The Dead--or even just an evening--set, perhaps, sometime between Christmas and the Epiphany, for dancing and feasting and public readings and a fine toast in celebration of this story?

If not, there certainly should be.
✨    jamieson   ✨
HOW TO HAVE A LIT AF HOUSE PARTY
• make sure at least 1 of your guests arrives sloshed
• get someone to play the piano really badly
• serve goose
• sing a sad song that reminds one of your guests about how the love of her life tragically died
• get someone to make a speech with at least two (2) references to mythology. + repetition
• bitch about the Pope
• discuss your favourite underrated choir singers
• do an imitation of a horse ? for some reason ?
• question to holiday motives of your gu
Diane
Chrissie
One more try with James Joyce.

This short story is beautifully written. I appreciated more how Joyce draws a place - a party, laughter, songs and music, friends gathered, a well laden table, snow blanketing the streets - than the character portrayals.

An accurate snapshot of a time past. Pretty. Nostalgic, but too sentimental for me.
Proustitute
"Why is it that words like these seem to me so dull and cold? Is it because there is no word tender enough to be your name?"
Kenchiin
I liked it, but it's a little bit too intellectual.
Jan Rice
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Originally reviewed April 13, 2013
At first we see mainly the social persona of the main character, Gabriel. Then, the author shows us the person inside, at first partially, when some interpersonal contact makes him experience self doubt, and then more dramatically, through his affirming experience of his wife/lover as muse. Then even that latter narrative takes a hit.

All those shades of experience occur through the agency of other people, or, rather, through the story he experiences or lives in
Diane S ☔
3.5 review to follow
Rebecca McNutt
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, fiction, ireland
Next to Melville's Bartleby the Scrivener: a Story of Wall Street, this book is my favourite classic short story, not just because of its Irish atmosphere but also because of its brilliant characters.
Bonnie
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'One by one, they were all becoming shades. Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'
Emily
That James Joyce and his final paragraphs. I have to hand it to the man, he sure knew how to end a book. The final passage of Ulysses is justly famous for Molly Bloom's orgasmic "Yes I said Yes I will Yes," but it's possible that the somnolent incantation of snow-blanketed Ireland in the final pages of The Dead is just as strong, with its repetitions and inversions ("falling softly"/"softly falling") and its vast but muted vistas. It's certainly one of those passages, like Mrs. Dalloway's "What ...more
Selena
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thebest, 2012
this little sixty page novel has completely changed my mind about joyce. i don't think i've loved a book this much since i read "a hero of our time."

i welcomed the new year in california. instead of a lavish and loud party the family went bowling then came home to play taboo. midnight came and without much fanfare, we went outside to light sparklers and look at the clear mount shasta sky. we went back inside to drink champagne. the boys started playing poker. i curled up by the fireplace with
Katia N
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is just a short story… I’ve started to write my thoughts about it so many times. But it is so perfect, that by the time i reach the second paragraph, i hit the wall. My thoughts stick into each other and become an undistguishable whirlpool of awe.

So, you do not need to continue reading what follows; just read the story, and read it now when something is ending but something else is barely beginning just yet… Christmas and New Year, this time..

It starts with something very relatable, very tra
Sonia
Feb 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have
I feel like I've just volunteered myself for a mafia hit by only rating this at three stars, but I stand by that choice. Still, my ego is prompting me to explain that decision.

Why did I read The Dead? I haven't heard a lot about James Joyce. In fact, earlier than about two months ago, I'd never even heard of The Dead. Of course, after hearing about it, I read that in many critical opinions, it is considered to be (drumroll please) THE BEST SHORT STORY EVER WRITTEN. That is why I decided to read
Arief Bakhtiar D.
SEPERTI SEPOTONG CERITA DALAM "THE DEAD"

"Tell me how all this, and love too, will ruin us."—Richard Siken, Scheherazade

DI beberapa halaman terakhir The Dead dari James Joyce, kita akan menemui sepotong cerita tentang Tuan Gabriel dan istrinya. Di sebuah kamar hotel di Dublin, pada suatu malam yang diselimuti salju, mereka sedikit cekcok tentang Michael Furey.

Kita tahu kenapa: Michael Furey adalah lelaki pertama yang dibayangkan istri Tuan Gabriel ketika dia mendengarkan lagu The Lass of Aughrim
Steven Walle
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dead is the last story in James Joyce's collection entitled the Dubliners. This story is a modern parable of the rivalry between the living and the dead. I enjoyed the whole collection.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! Joyce and his last paragraphs! Striking as hell! I have to read it again, for the little beautiful things, for some tricky words that don't seem significant in first reading. It's certainly the best short story I've ever read.
Kate
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
4/5stars

I read this short story for class and i put off writing my review until we went over it, and now I think I'm good to review it. This is known to be THE BEST short story in the english language - formulaically and language-wise. Needless to say, I was intrigued.

and then i was let down

and then my head hurt a little bit

and now i'm completely baffled.

Let me explain; upon first read of this story I was like ".. really? that's... that's it? THAT'S the best story in the english language..??? RE
Billy O'Callaghan
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ireland, classics
Gabriel and Gretta Conroy attend an annual party thrown by Gabriel's aunts, the Morkan sisters, to celebrate the Feast of the Epiphany and the last of Christmas. The party starts off well but gradually seems to emphasise the disconnection between generations, and between political beliefs. And there is a further revelation awaiting, when Gabriel learns how little he knows about his own wife, her past and the love of her life, a young man named Michael Furey, who had given her literally everythin ...more
The Novella Club: The Dead - January 2018 group read (spoilers) 22 23 Feb 01, 2018 12:28PM
Goodreads Librari...: Book without ISBN 2 12 Apr 24, 2017 06:39PM
  • The Garden Party and Other Stories
  • The American Tradition in Literature
  • The Beach of Falesá
  • Benito Cereno
James Joyce, Irish novelist, noted for his experimental use of language in such works as Ulysses (1922) and Finnegans Wake (1939). Joyce's technical innovations in the art of the novel include an extensive use of interior monologue; he used a complex network of symbolic parallels drawn from the mythology, history, and literature, and created a unique language of invented words, puns, and allusions ...more
More about James Joyce...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
  • Endless Night
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Lilac Bus
    $7.99 $1.99

“Why is it that words like these seem dull and cold? Is it because there is no word tender enough to be your name?” 292 likes
“Moments of their secret life together burst like stars upon his memory.” 150 likes