Start by marking “Planet Quest” as Want to Read:
Planet Quest

Planet Quest

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
A leading astronomer provides an “excellent introduction” (New York Times Book Review) to the search for faraway planets and extraterrestrial life-a “fascinating” guide (Astronomy) that is “everything a good science-for-the-public book should be” (Cleveland Plain Dealer). Black-and-white photographs.
Published September 30th 1998 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Planet Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planet Quest

Jamie
Nov 08, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: amateur astronomers
Shelves: non-fiction, space
A great book about exoplanets written when this was a fairly new topic (back when the number of planets discovered outside of our solar system was still in the double-digits).

It does a good job of explaining the science behind the detection/discovery techniques (e.g., using multiple telescopes to see further than a single telescope can; detecting the wobble of a star by its largest close-orbit planet). Not exactly for the average person, but an amateur astronomy fan (i.e., someone who already kn
Sahishnu Majumdar
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For all who always wanted to know what astrophysicist of today are discussing and looking for in the sky, but did nor know where to start, then this is THE book.

It is difficult to find a better, easier and shorter introduction to one of the most exciting stories of one of the biggest challenges facing the human race
J
This was very cohesively written and had a lovely layout of information. I learned a lot about different bodies in the galaxies with more "traditional science" content than one would get from, say, a television programme.
Robert
This rang my LOVED bell because of how it reminds us to dream not only of what's real but of what's possible -- and as we dream to remain profoundly humble about all we do not know. I trust that's where the excitement lies for all of us.
Srynerson