Start by marking “Worlds Of Pain: Life In The Working-class Family” as Want to Read:
Worlds Of Pain: Life In The Working-class Family

Worlds Of Pain: Life In The Working-class Family

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The classic that is widely acknowledged to be the most valuable and insightful book ever written on the dynamics of working-class family life by a renowned sociologist, psychotherapist, and bestselling author."One of the most devastating critiques of contemporary American life that I have read."--Michael B. Katz Professor of History, York University"This is a sensitive and ...more
Published September 30th 1992 by Basic Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Worlds Of Pain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worlds Of Pain

Mary Karpel-Jergic
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cultural-studies
I understand why this was a seminal piece of sociological research into class at the time it was published. Unfortunately, reading it now, the voices in the book sound embedded in a time that has passed and the mammoth changes we have experienced since the book was published have altered the class landscape in such major ways that there is difficulty in crossing this time lapse. However economic deprivation will only ever create 'mounting disadvantages' and from what I see all around me it looks ...more
James Payne
Brutal. So sad. Hits too close to home. This book was published the year my parents had their first child. Resonance.

So much human potential and happiness is needlessly destroyed by the drive for superfluous profit. This book, and the precarious forty years that have elapsed since its publication, are testaments to how corrosive America's ideological fixation on free-market capitalism has been for our collective lived experience. The U.S. is like an alcoholic drinking because they are sad they'
Emily
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To get the whole world out of bed
And washed, and dressed, and warmed, and fed,
To work, and back to bed again,
Believe me, Saul, costs worlds of pain.

I loved this book and its depiction of the working class. My only sadness is how dated it is. I wish someone would recommend a similar but more current study.
Christy
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book (now background but excellent qualitative data) for Social Problems, Introduction to Sociology, Family, or Social Psychology.
Julia
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julia by: Iris Berger
I read this in 1983 for a Women's Studies course and was very impressed. The 5-star rating is based on my impression at the time (I haven't re-read recently, but it is still on my bookshelf).
Nancy
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, non-fiction
A study of working class families in the 1970s. This kind of book (almost) makes me want to go back to graduate school.
Rg
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I always believe that early marriage isn't the way out from poverty.
Amber
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
kinda depressing but an easy read and, hmmmm, what's the word, "informative" I suppose
David
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a deeply moving and perceptive sociological study...
Steve Majerus-Collins