Start by marking “Amon's Adventure: A Family Story for Easter” as Want to Read:
Amon's Adventure: A Family Story for Easter

Amon's Adventure: A Family Story for Easter

Another family "read together" story from popular author Arnold Ytreeide Following in the footsteps of his widely popular Advent series--Jotham's Journey, Bartholomew's Passage, and Tabitha's Travels--well-known author Arnold Ytreeide presents a captivating story to take families through the season of Lent, culminating on Easter Sunday.

Thirteen-year-old Amon, the son of Jo
Published January 1st 2011 by Kregel Publications (first published December 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Amon's Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amon's Adventure

Kristie
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We love this series of books! It’s a great way to prepare our hearts for the season. The author is a master storyteller. These books are perfect for reading aloud.
Tarissa
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun Easter book that kids will enjoy. If you've enjoyed Jotham's Journey, Tabitha's Travels, or Bartholomew's Passage, you must read this volume as well.

It is now 33 years later after that first Christmas. Jotham and Tabitha are married with sons of their own, one of them being Amon. Bartholomew also is still a close family friend, and one of Jesus' apostles.

13-year-old Amon is a skeptic of whether Jesus is truly the Messiah or not. As he goes on this spiritual journey, and as he changes from
Michelle
Apr 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
I hate to give a poor rating to a Christian book with such a good aim, but we were so painfully disappointed by this effort, especially as compared to how much we have enjoyed the Advent series by Ytreeide, that there really is no way to get around it. We all groaned in despair and embarrassment multiple times, and when we were done, all three children exclaimed they were glad it was over finally. This felt like an extreme rush job, very uneven in writing. Some of the figures of speech were emba ...more
Karen
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dad, ellie, jacob, mom
Reading during Lent 2015.

We are loving this book! The kids get so excited when I pull this out to start reading for the day. 3/6/15
Wonderful book as was Jotham's Journey. Looking forward to reading Tabitha and Bartholomew during Christmas advent next year. This has really helped us to focus on God during the holiday seasons. Lot's of adventure, suspense, and questions at the end of each chapter that help you to look inside your own heart. 4/11/15
Reading again for Lent this year. It's like visiti
Storm
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! 5th time reading it and it was just as good as the first time! I know I've read it a ton when I can hear the next line in my head. XD A couple of the parts were unrealistic but it was still a joy to read. Truly a great story that serves as a reminder of what Easter is truly about. Highly recommend to any age!
MacKenzie
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We LOVE Arnold Ytreeide's work! He does such a masterful job of bringing these stories alive for my kids! I only wish he had even more resources because my kids get SO much out of them and I think that the Easter and Christmas stories will forever be more personal for them because of this author.
Ann-Marie
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-girls
I purchased this book to read aloud with the girls during Lent. It follows the story of Amon, a thirteen year old newly minted man in Jerusalem. His father is unjustly accused of a theft, and is scheduled to be crucified at the same time as Jesus. Amon sets about to clear his father's name. He interacts with all the major players from the Passion narrative: Caiaphus, Jesus, Pilate, Roman centurians, Gamaliel, Peter, Saul, Bartholomew, etc. There are great descriptions of the Temple and the Fortr ...more
Cyndy Defnall
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book! This was a fun exciting book we read aloud together during our homeschool during the Lenten season. Amon's is a Hebrew boy and true skeptic of this "Jesus" character while his father, who (a shepherd) was present for Jesus birth, is a believer. If you have read Jotham's Journey by the same author then you will love this one; Amon is Jotham's son. The author has woven in historical figures and characters into a beautiful story. You journey with Amon as he faces some truly daring and d ...more
Jessica
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This book as a story was great....I can only remember of one instance where scripture was taken out of context (Jeremiah 29:11, which everyone seems to love to take and make about us, when it was really a promise to those in exile) during the devotional aspect of each reading. The last chapter was problematic. The author took the main character and placed them in the place of Thomas. It was strange. Throughout the book, the main character was placed in biblical situations, but was not changing t ...more
Amy
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fictional story of a young boy surrounding the death and resurrection of Jesus. Great follow on to Jothams Journey and Tabitha’s Travels. All our kids enjoyed the twists and turns of the story as Amon tries to save his father. Great Lent devotional
Johnny
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it and the kids did too. So glad we read it together during lent.
Terrie
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent way to enjoy the Easter season with your family.
Cindilee
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These are the best books ever. Please look into them
Katie
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful retelling of the Easter story.
Daniel
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

It's so insuring. I love it so much. Cool. Fun. Amazing. I spent like half the day reading it. I say 100 thumbs up for it.

Lola Kramer
Hannah D
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Arnold Ytreeide writes THE BEST advent books EVER!!!
We own every advent book he has written, (even the easter story one).
And we read them over and over agian every year:)!
One of my brothers was named after the story "Jothams Journey"!!!:)
Kara
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotional, holidays
Arnold Ytreeide's Advent titles have been part of our family's Advent tradition for years. The characters in Jotham's Journey, Tabitha's Travels, and Bartholomew's Passage have become well-loved friends over the years as we've cycled through these books.

So I was thrilled recently when a friend let me know that author Arnold Ytreeide had just published a similar book for the Easter season featuring the children of Jotham, Tabitha, and Bartholomew! I promptly ordered a copy. The whole family was e
Shannon
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, holidays
03/11: As with "Jotham's Journey," Katie Padilla recommended this one. I prefer "Jotham's Journey," but this is a good one too. It did make the story of Jesus' Passion, Death and Resurrection come alive for the boys. They were excited to meet Paul, Gamaliel, Caiphas, etc. They paid careful attention at Palm Sunday Mass. They felt that it was Tamar who was the third person to approach Peter, they worried about the "Good Thief," they got a glimpse of how scary the Roman's were, how forbidding the ...more
Alyssa
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Families who enjoyed the Advent series
Shelves: read-in-2013
I didn't enjoy this as much as the advent books by Arnold Ytreeide. It was not nearly as interesting as the other books and seemed totally unrealistic, almost ridiculous, in places. Although the advent series had extraordinary parts, they were more believable somehow. However, I did like that this book was tied into the advent books - Jotham and Tabitha were Amon's parents, and Bartholomew was the father of Tamar, a secondary character in the book. I finished this book before Easter, as I read s ...more
Lindsay
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
My kids were once again enthralled by the adventures of Jotham and Tabitha and now their son, Amon. A fun story to read during Lent, although I was disappointed that Jesus is not even introduced until chapter 18 of 28 total chapters...I wish there was more inclusion of His story. Especially during his final days in Jerusalem, you are only given brief glimpses. Spiritual application/messages at the end of each chapter in this series is always a bit lacking...so don't replace your family devotions ...more
Yvonne Innes
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent Lent preparation book for the family!

The story is broken up into chapters, each with it's own lessons and scriptural reflections. Follow a young Jewish boy on his spiritual journey, which takes place around the final days of Jesus's passion.

Although Amon is a fictional character, his various adventures and challenges draw readers and listeners into a more personal understanding of the Biblical environment.
Wendy Hudson
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Loved the first in the series but this one was a little slow and harder for my son (9yo) to follow and stay attentive to. The thoughts at the end of each day seemed a little repetitive and weren't really geared towards someone who is already a Christ follower. This would be more geared towards children who were undecided about Christ.
Missy
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
Highly recommended to read in the days or weeks leading up to Easter. The book is divided up into daily readings with a discussion that follows. Really enjoyed the story line with all the action and adventure. Amon has a lot of soul searching he needs to do and we see him starting to rely less on himself and more on God.
Betsy
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was afraid this book would be incredibly corny, but I was pleasantly surprised that the story was engaging and interesting. my kids asked for me to read it, which showed they cared about what was going to happen. the devotions at the end of each chapter were well done.
Cristi Paton
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great family read

Our family very much enjoyed reading this together. Two kids ages 8 & 9 were engaged and caught up in the story. They loved seeing stories from the Bible woven into Amon's story
Enola Stevenson
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We absolutely love all of the books in this series. The chapters have excellent cliff hangers, there are great plot twists and lots of moral dilemmas to chew over but, most importantly, all point the way to Jesus.
Karen
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book from this author. My children were completely enthralled with this story set during Lent. We loved seeing some of our favorite characters again. I hope that more stories set during the Lenten season are soon to come.
Christina
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Our family loved reading this book as part of our Easter preparation/celebration this year. I would say our 5 year old was a little less interested in following the sometimes complex storyline, so I would recommend for ages 6 and up.
Stacey
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stacey by: Ginger
Shelves: easter, read-alouds, 2015
Class read aloud-- they really love this story and it gives them insight into the time of Christ despite the author's overdramatic tendencies and inconsistencies. Everyone asked to read the next one, but there are no more.
Isamom
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
We love this author. This was a more difficult/drawn-out read than the Advent series.
  • God Rest Ye Merry: Why Christmas Is the Foundation for Everything
  • Everyday Graces: Child's Book Of Good Manners
  • If Jesus Came to My House
  • Little Pilgrim's Progress: From John Bunyan's Classic
  • Pagoo
  • The Child's Story Bible
  • Catwings Box Set
  • Night Of The Moonjellies
  • Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)
  • The Mom Walk: Keeping in Step with God's Heart for Motherhood
  • Good News of Great Joy: Daily Readings for Advent
  • Formation of Character (Original Homeschooling #5)
  • You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?!
  • Far as the Curse Is Found: The Covenant Story of Redemption
  • Play with Me
  • The Chestry Oak
  • Punchinello and the Most Marvelous Gift (Wemmicksville, #5)
  • Summer Story