Start by marking “Sleeping Dogs Don't Lay: Practical Advice For The Grammatically Challenged” as Want to Read:
Sleeping Dogs Don't Lay: Practical Advice For The Grammatically Challenged

Sleeping Dogs Don't Lay: Practical Advice For The Grammatically Challenged

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
For years Richard Lederer has enthralled fans of the English language with his keen insights, commonsense advice, and witty presentation. Now Lederer has teamed up with Richard Dowis to take readers on another journey through the world's most wonderful, albeit perplexing, language. How many times have we all heard the word viable used in company meetings? Lederer and Dowis ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published September 10th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping Dogs Don't Lay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping Dogs Don't Lay

Raphael
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could recommend one style guide, it would be this one. While it is not well known and written in an irreverent style, I found it to be very effective. I picked up one of Lederer's "Anguished English" books in a bookstore many years ago and I got hooked immediately, which sparked my interest in this book. Lederer can best be described as a linguistic humorist, and he brings the humor found in the "Anguished English" series to this book.
Lederer breaks down the book into sections, such as comm
Nohreen
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun & quick read for English language nerds like me. This book is not as funny as the Anguished English book he also wrote, but the humor is woven in while aiming to teach & educate. Lederer aspired in this book to clear the confusion between many commonly ill-used words, like lay & lie. I great book to read & have for future reference. All this typing made me a bit tired, I need to lie (not lay) down. :)
Glenn
Other books I've read by the same author (Crazy English, Fractured English) were more centered on the fun and quirky aspects of the English language. This had some elements of that, but was more of an instruction guide to proper word usage, with many examples. This is a great reference book for anyone who wishes to write better.
Erika Batey
Oct 13, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
yes, grammar CAN be fun!
fun and helpful guide
Barbara
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language
Lederer is a clever, entertaining writer. Clearly this intelligent punster shares my love of language!
Paul
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for anyone who enjoys the English language.
Jessica
Dec 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Rather an amusing approach to look at grammar.

I have yet to find the perfect all-around grammar book.
Jan Ackerson
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not your typical Lederer book, this one gives grammar advice infused with humor. Ahhhhhhhhhh.
Lady Dixie
Oops, I did again. Yet another "fun" take on grammar. You'd be best to buy Strunk and White's Elements of Style and leave this one in the bookstore.
Desiree
Jun 08, 2011
Rebecca
Jan 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Richard Lederer is the author of more than 35 books about language, history, and humor, including his best-selling Anguished English series and his current book, The Gift of Age. He has been profiled in magazines as diverse as The New Yorker, People, and the National Enquirer and frequently appears on radio as a commentator on language. He has been named International Punster of the Year and Toast ...more
More about Richard Lederer...