Start by marking “Arrivederci amore, ciao” as Want to Read:
Arrivederci amore, ciao

Arrivederci amore, ciao

(Giorgio Pellegrini #1)

In questo romanzo che racconta il cuore nero del Nordest e, più in generale, dell'Italia patinata ed "emergente", Carlotto "mette a frutto" le pessime conoscenze che ha fatto in carcere, nel mondo criminale e anche tra i personaggi delle istituzioni e ci dà uno sconvolgente ritratto dell'Italia nera dei nostri anni. Il giovane e bel protagonista del romanzo ha un solo scop ...more
Paperback, Tascabili E/O #150, 175 pages
Published 2002 by e/o (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Arrivederci amore, ciao, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arrivederci amore, ciao

Start your review of Arrivederci amore, ciao
Barry Pierce
Ugh. Former criminal-turned-fiction writer Massimo Carlotto is the literary equivalent of Guy Fieri’s hair. His blocky, uber-masculine, prose is reminiscent of an angsty teen boy’s short story about his “total bitch” of an ex-girlfriend and drinking Coors Light with his bros. This novel is fucking detestable. From its sexual politics to its clunky plot. The female characters are reminiscent of Beaker from The Muppet Show, relegated to bleating noises and too stupid to be human. Good god I must b ...more
Jeffrey Keeten
”As I sucked a lobster claw, I thought about how to do them. Always pick the easiest, quickest and cleanest method. In this case, a shot in the head was the best solution. The bullet rips apart the brain, and the victim doesn’t even have time to kiss tomorrow goodbye. The muck--blood, bone fragments, brain matter--sprays from the side opposite the entry wound. I’d sit in the back seat of their car and smoke them. First the driver. Then the guy beside him. With a silencer. When I executed Luca in ...more
Paul
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hard to say.
Shelves: noir, hard-boiled
The Goodbye Kiss by Massimo Carlotto

This is really a novelette, numbering 114 pages in my paperback copy. It's the first installment of two books with Giorgio Pellegrinin as the main character. The second installment is 'At the End of a Dull Day'.

The Plot:

Giorgio Pellegrini is an unscrupulous womanizer, an amoral sociopath, prepared to do whatever it takes to secure himself the guise of respectability & he is willing to go as far as murder. And beyond.

He was once full of idealistic fervor, but
John
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pretty conflicted about this.

On the one hand I admired it as an eminently readable example of nihilistic Jim Thompson-style noir, although its narrator and protagonist -- Giorgio Pellegrini, ex-terrorist, multiple murderer, multiple rapist, sadistic abuser of the women who're fool enough to fall for him -- is even more degenerate and vile than any Thompson protagonist ever was.

On the other hand I detested it precisely because its protagonist is even more degenerate and vile than any Thomps
Thomas
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give Carlotto more stars, but his character's treatment of women makes it hard stomach at times, hardboiled or not.
Spiros
While waiting for Driftless Area to hit the shelves, I decided to reacquaint myself with Giorgio Pelligrini, the protagonist of The Goodbye Kiss, self confessed stool pigeon, former radical, and all around "bad egg" (n.b.: does this strike anybody else as a conflation of the terms "rotten apple" and "good egg"? I don't recall ever coming across the term before, and I've certainly never heard of a "good apple". Your input is, as always, eagerly solicited). As before, I found it to be a thoroughl ...more
David Tykulsker
Dec 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great social criticism in the guise of a detective novel of the milieu of the Northern League, with a few shots at my friends on the ultra-left. The robbery itself was a bit tedious, and the last conversation with his fiance could have been omitted. But the rest of the book moved with great speed, and was quite chilling.
Mark
Mar 16, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
He's mostly a narrator and his books read more like film treatments than actual novels — which is actually kind of ok, provided that they lead to movies as gloriously skeezy as the one derived from this book.
Jim Coughenour
Carlotto, the "master of Mediterranean noir." Narrated by a bad, evil-tongued criminal, it's got the kick of a hot espresso. Nasty, unadulterated pleasure! Carlotto reminds me of Patricia Highsmith, but with a superior sense of fun. Handsomely published by Europa Editions.

Kevan Houser
(This review refers to the Italian edition only, although I will comment in English.)

Talk about a difficult book to judge—I could justify leaving anywhere from two to four stars for this relatively short (181 pages of large print in this Italian edition, perhaps 120 pages if more traditionally formatted) novel.

It's told in the first person, and what an unlikable individual. He's a criminal. Murderer (multiple times over), thief, bully, blackmailer, etc. He's routinely cruel and brutal to the wom
Ravi Singh
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now this, is a crime novel!

Very gritty, very in your face, the writing makes it seem as though you can feel the character's desperation, anxiety, he's a bad guy but then again everyone around him is.

Soon, you are rooting for him, and his fears at the end when it all may unravel, the journey you were taken on be for nothing, become your fears.

Excellent, will look up more novels by Carlotto. Highly recommended to the aficionados of this genre. Italians are leading the way in crime stories.
Jan
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very grim view of Italian life and criminality.

The lead character seems utterly lacking in any kind of conscience or morals and whilst perhaps you are supposed to feel sorry that he was unable to finally break away from his past, his enjoyment of violence and readiness to kill seemed a little too easy and it was hard to believe he could ever have stuck to the clean life.

I will try another by this author but not sure "Italian Noir" is really my thing.
Darius Ostrowski
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book.

Another fine example of Italian Noir, the lead character pretty much has no redeeming features, other than a desire to stay alive and win no matter the cost. He's amoral, a cold-blooded murderer, a user of people (especially women), an informer, a thief, a liar - the list can go on and on. But in this landscape, he's a survivor. And Mr. Carlotto weaves an interesting story, with an interesting look at the underbelly of the beautiful life.
Ben
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the character largely repellent, with neither a redemption arc or fall from grace. I think some of the problem is a poor translation of a laconic style that trends into over-simplicity. I also thought this was an alligator novel, and would have enjoyed reading about the detective more than his antagonist.
Michael Pennington
Fun
Jack Heath
Synopsis: an unscrupulous womanizer returns to Italy where he is a wanted man. To earn respectability, he is willing to go as far as murder.
Rob Kitchin
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Goodbye Kiss is, as one review says, ‘lean, mean and violent’; Italian noir at its darkest, placing the reader in the mind of criminal who’s prepared to do anything to get by. Pellegrini is a well formed character who is frighteningly believable, his thoughts and actions seemingly rationale and logical. He uses intimidation, manipulation and violence in a pre-meditated, calculated way to exert his will, yet he also understands his place in the wider criminal system and how to respect and wor ...more
Lyle Appleyard
I received a copy of this book through the Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway.

This was my first time reading this author. I was not sure what to expect. What a ride.

Thre wasn't much for character development. The main character was bad. Everyone who had dealings with was bad. Except maybe the woman he was going to marry, but he killed her anyway and most of the other people he dealt with. This novel was entirely an action driven story. The actions happen without much reason being given. The main char
Ramsey
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
I'm upgrading this book to four stars. Still thinking about it a year after reading it.

A bleak and nasty dose of Mediterranean noir. I think Carlotto may be making some broader statements about the trajectory of modern Italy - left-wing idealism that devolved first into violence of its own making, then general criminality and corruption, overlaid with a justice system that forces individuals who would come clean into a labyrinth marked by further depravity at each twist and turn. My only problem
Monica
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Giorgio Pellegrini is simultaneously one of the most fascinating and repellent characters I have ever read about. He is utterly amoral, brutal and single minded in the course of advancing his aims. He starts out as a Red Brigade terrorist, then flees to Central America to avoid arrest. While there he becomes a half-hearted member of an insurgent group. When it becomes obvious that that is leading to further trouble, he heads for home, sells out his friends and takes a deal with a crooked cop tha
Nasir Shah
It consummately wins your heart if once in your life you missed to make memory developments with her/him. The story that is composed in the book was genuinely astounding and shows us the lesson to never give up to the individuals who adored you and in the event that they, then accomplish something which will get to be memory later on. It's the account of the adoration. The man needed to go outside from the nation, and the lady stay alone without him. Before he could go, they met at a pleasant pl ...more
Jim
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A remarkable literary portrait of a thoroughly despicable character, a former terrorist turned panderer/murderer/thief who lived his life in a corrupt Italy. Reminds me a bit of Pete Dexter, though with Hemingway-like delivery. I kept waiting for his comeuppance (won't spoil anything though). In fact, there is nary an uplifting or honest character in the whole book, although the people range from sad losers (and the exploited) to outright blackhearts. I liked the book, however, and will try to r ...more
Bruno de Maremma
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
OK this book isn't really a mystery novel or a thriller. It is more the story of our 'hero', Giorgio Pellegrini, rehabilitation in society, moving from convicted terrorist to respectable citizen. A goodly number of people die along the way. If you like noir fiction, the author delivers in spades. Don't expect a lot of character development, but at the end, just like in 'The Talented Mr. Ripley' you may actually find yourself rooting for the protagonist.
Gloria
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably would be five stars in actuality but it was SO hard-boiled, so tough, so grim that just having finished it I can't endorse the contents---as if I would be endorsing the character Pelligrini. Which is probably why you should read this if you like the hard-boiled genre. Carlotto is an incredible writer. I fully understand why he is considered 'the best living Italian crime writer' [Il Manifesto].
Rachel Hirstwood
I'm really disappointed by this book. I was really looking forward to some top class gritty Italian Noir, but this translation made for a sloppy American B movie from the 50s. Obviously I need to either learn Italian, or get a translation into English, not American. Wish I hadn't bought 4 Massimo Carlotto books at the same time now.
June
May 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Massimo Carlotto's book is in many ways more of a biography (though fictional) than a crime novel. There is no murder that is committed at the beginning, which then needs solving. Instead, it is more of the life and times of an amoral reprobate. I just couldn't find the story compelling enough. Glad it was short.
Rick
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lean, brutal, sardonic novel that traces the attempts of an ex-terrorist to leave his murderous past behind him in Italy. In order to gain civic salvation, he needs to pull off a heist and murder a few more people and, it being Italy, redemption turns out to have a lot to do with paying the right people and ignoring the rules, a lot.
Ervin Vice
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine London Boulevard by Ken Bruen but darker still, and with an even less sympathetic protagonist. In Pellegrini's world, the innocent are chewed up and spit out. Only the bad, on both sides of the law, prevail. Remorse and conscience are in short supply. The landscape is bleak and the outlook thoroughly jaundiced. In other words, this is excellent noir.
Markus Volk
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has an interesting side, I could easily stop it at a certain point when the main character arrives in Europe. Left it on the table for a week or so and continued. After that that point, I could hardly take a break for dinner and shot through one Sunday afternoon and evening.

All characters have their dark sides, so how can the good ones win, when there are none? ;-)
Christopher Bevard
I love noir where there are no good guys, only varying degrees of criminals clawing their way through things - it's refreshing when you read as much detective fiction as I do. Carlotto is a quick and dirty read, and while this sets Pelligrini up really well, the next in the series is the real killer (At the End of a Dull Day).

• I Served the King of England
  • Carte Blanche
  • Accabadora
  • Lockdown
  • A Man
  • La fine è il mio inizio
  • Testimone inconsapevole (Guido Guerrieri #1)
  • Attrazione fatale
  • The Day of the Owl
  • The Postman Always Rings Twice
  • Kara Üçleme
Massimo Carlotto è nato a Padova il 22 luglio 1956. Nel 1976, giovane universitario e militante di L.C., scopre casualmente a Padova il cadavere senza vita di Margherita Magello, colpita da 59 coltellate, e viene accusato dalla polizia dell’omicidio dopo essersi recato volontariamente a testimoniare.

Giorgio Pellegrini (4 books)
  • Alla fine di un giorno noioso
  • Gang of Lovers
  • Blues per cuori fuorilegge e vecchie puttane