Start by marking “Julip.” as Want to Read:
Julip.

Julip.

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  666 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
In three tantalizing novellas, Jim Harrison takes us on a quintessentially American journey - from the fishing waters of the South, to the hunting woods of the North, to the cattle ranches of the West - as he leads us through the wonderous landscape of the human heart. “Julip” follows a bright and resourceful young woman as she tries to spring her brother from a Florida ja ...more
Published 1994 by Flamingo

Tony
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: u-s-lit, jim-harrison
I sat on a boulder next to a stream until just before dark, letting the dulcet and purling sounds soothe me. Bob had told me that in India the peasants will tie a madman to a tree next to a river and the water would draw off his madness. He had neglected to tell me how long the process took.

I have been kidnapped by the music of Jim Harrison's words. Whether they will draw the madness out of me remains to be seen. What I know now though is that I want to be reading Jim Harrison all the time.

Ther
KG
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"Julip" is a collection of 3 uniquely written novellas about 3 different but equally spectacular characters. Jim Harrison's writing is easy, flowing and deliberate but at the same time complex and coordinated. I'm constantly jotting down sentences, words and notions from his books that move me enough that I don't want to forget them. Each character somehow shadows my own life - periodically reminding me of myself, those I love and even, sometimes, those I hate. Oddly enough, Jim Harrison's writi
Krista
I took a sleeping bag out of the closet, turned out the lights, and settled down in the yard. Close attention to the stars, moon, sun, and earth is genuinely helpful when you want to stop talking to yourself. We all hope for a superior brand of madness but our wounds are considerably less interesting than our cures.

Julip is made up of three novellas, seemingly unrelated, and although the characters and settings don't overlap, they are thematically linked. There's something Hemingwayesque in au
Gaylord Dold
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second Look Books: Julip by Jim Harrison (Houghton Mifflin, $21.95)
Originally published on July 10, 1994. Jim Harrison died last year. His passing is a great loss for American letters.

Jim Harrison is one of our very best American writers. He is the author of six novels, including “Wolf”, “Farmer,” “Warlock” and “Dalva,” the latest named being something of a doubly rare achievement, both a novel of spiritual power and a work of imagination about female life penned by a man. Harrison is also a po
Leslie
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved all three stories - but the 2nd was my favorite. I'm stoked to learn that the main character in story 2, Brown Dog, is a recurring character. And a character he is.
Autumn
Is there anything more enjoyable than a Brown Dog novella? Loved the other stories as well.
Matt Brown
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
julip 3/5
the seven-ounce man 5/5
the beige dolorosa 3.5/5
Herbert
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julip is composed of three novellas, "Julip", "The Seven Ounce Man", and "The Beige Dolorosa". Each of them is best described as a character study, and Harrison shows himself to be a master of the endeavor. Each piece is unique and unconnected to the others, and deserve to be reviewed separately.

"Julip" follows the progress of the eponymous young woman as she attempts to secure her brother's release from prison into the less onerous custody of a mental health facility. For help she enlists her t
KG
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julip is a collection of 3 uniquely written novellas about 3 different but equally spectacular characters. Jim Harrison's writing is easy, flowing and deliberate but at the same time complex and coordinated. I'm constantly jotting down sentences, words and notions from his books that move me enough that I don't want to forget them. Each character somehow shadows my own life - periodically reminding me of myself, those I love and even, sometimes, those I hate. Oddly enough, Jim Harrison's writing ...more
Matt Miles
The title story is the leanest, and unsurprisingly the best. The title character defies the reductionist categories of virgin or whore by simply being a dog trainer who uses her knowledge of human and animal nature to navigate the world she finds herself in. Add taut but meaningful pacing and Harrison's skewering of faux manhood, and the result is pretty much the perfect novella. Alone, this story would have been worth the price. I only wish the other two stories had as much economy and imaginat ...more
Nate
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
As a lover of northern Michigan, I have been a long distance fan of Jim Harrison for years. Julip was recommended to me so figured it was time to time to dip my toes into the icy prose and disturbed characters conceived by Michigan's native son.

The book has three novellas, each roughly 80-90 pages long. Novellas aren't for everyone. All three are pretty short and dramatically different than one another.

I really enjoyed the first novellas, "Julip". A story about a young bold woman trying to free
Huw Thornton
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
My first Jim Harrison. I really enjoyed these three novellas. Without getting into too much detail, what impressed me most was how he was able to create a distinct voice/ tone for all three stories. Aside from them sharing some thematic similarities, they all seem as though they were penned by different writers. I'm glad I started with this book, as it's a great showcase for Harrison's versatility. It would be hard to choose my favorite of the three stories, but I think it's a draw between 'The ...more
Daniel
Oct 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three stories. Begins with one featuring the eponymous character in an absurd and slightly claustrophobic setup.

The Beige Dolorosa, the second most moving story of academic exile I've read (HUAC testimonials aside), is runner-up for the best story of the three. It must be said that Coetzee's Disgrace - which was published five years later - bears some resemblance to it. But then, the commonalities, like sex scandal, exile to the countryside, and exposure to a criminal element, serve different p
Tom
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would be worth owning for The Seven-Ounce Man; the continuing saga of Brown Dog, the lost boy grown up to be the befuddled lost man. If God watches over drunks and lunatics She has her hands full with BD who, if he ever saw his ship coming in, would somehow sink it. Not to give short shrift to Julip though, which proves once again that Harrison writes perfect women. Like his men, they are strong, weak, flawed, perfect, stubborn and pliable all at once. I ran aground with the third stor ...more
Becky
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary-fiction
Three stories about widely different individuals who come to terms with their situation and find a simpler place for themselves in the world, mostly the natural world. One is a young dog trainer who decides to focus on dogs rather than the three older men she's been seeing. The middle story brings back Brown Dog, from Michigan, who discovers that his simple life in the woods works just fine for him. The third is about an academic who is brought low by cascading problems with political correctnes ...more
Anne
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of humor in Harrison's writing about male foibles, and they are largely male, and largely preoccupied with sex, thinking about it, getting it, avoiding it. The Beige Dolorosa is my favorite of the three with its western setting. The increasingly befuddled professor, on leave after inappropriate behavior on campus, shows his vulnerability most openly. Julip seemed the least moving of the three novellas.
Tom Romig
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Three novellas, a form Jim Harrison excels in. Julip is the liveliest of the three; The Beige Dolorosa the most meditative. Then there's Brown Dog in The Seven-Ounce Man: Harrison's alter ego (got it), spokesperson (I hear you), and modern Huck Finn (check). But after reading the Brown Dog novellas that came before and after this one (over the past 25 years), the piquancy wanes. Still, is there anything Jim Harrison has written that isn't worth reading?
Tom
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm.... didn't do much for me.

This is one of those books that (I suppose) has depth and all sorts of (not so) hidden symbolism. But this is what I'd call an "art house" book. The kind of thing, I suppose, the hoity toity discuss over brie and cucumber finger sandwiches.

I guess I'm just too much of a meat and potatoes kind of guy.
Jamie
Much more bonkers than I was expecting from the cover/description. (Never judge, I know, I know. Impossible.) The best was right smack in the middle: the adventures of Brown Dog in “The Seven-Ounce Man.” So screwy but gianthearted.

The bookend stories had a few things that bugged me. I’d sure read more Jim Harrison, though.
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These three stories were full of simple statements that I keep coming back to and thinking about, but it was almost hard to focus on the stories themselves with the amount of objectification going on. Maybe it was meant to show how distracting women can be to men, I don't know, I'm don't live in a man's brain. I feel a little underwhelmed.
Marc
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? This guy is one of my favorite authors of all time. And he writes about women (he gets inside the head of a woman) like no other male writer I know. He seems to really know them. Amazing.
Thomas Schrepfer
Apr 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
When I have a family, and we get family pictures taken, whoever sits on the chair (I will ask the photographer if it could be me) is going to have to hold this book over their head, while the rest of the family looks at it adoringly.
David Joy
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not his finest, but the Brown Dog novella in the middle, "The Seven-Ounce Man," makes it worth reading. The reality is that "not his finest" when we're talking Jim Harrison means a masterpiece for most writers. He's simply incredible.
Timothy
Sep 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Discovering an author for the first time is one of the great joys in life. Finding Jim Harrison, who I liken to Hemingway with a sensitive side, is going to make this long winter season in Montana bearable.
Paul
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Yes. Yes. Though it's time to give Harrison a rest.
Jordan Phipps
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Harrison is on, he's on.
Susan
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like to read Jim Harrison.
Sheree
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this man; love this book.
Colleen
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best three short stories I have read in a long time. Maybe ever.
Truong Vo
So far so good. At first I found Julip's diary and her love of Emily Dickinson a little too blatant. A lot of sex with funny situations but interest is fading rapidly.
  • Nobody's Angel
  • Montreal Stories
  • The Price Was High: Fifty Uncollected Stories
  • The Times Are Never So Bad
  • The Best of Frederik Pohl
Jim Harrison was born in Grayling, Michigan, to Winfield Sprague Harrison, a county agricultural agent, and Norma Olivia (Wahlgren) Harrison, both avid readers. He married Linda King in 1959 with whom he has two daughters.

His awards include National Academy of Arts grants
More about Jim Harrison...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
  • The Unremembered Girl
    $4.99 $2.49
  • We're All Damaged
    $3.99 $1.99

“I did not want to live out my life in the strenuous effort to hold a ghost world together. It was plain as the stars that time herself moved in grand tidal sweeps rather than the tick-tocks we suffocate within, and that I must reshape myself to fully inhabit the earth rather than dawdle in the sump of my foibles.” 17 likes
“I don't want to get married or run away. I want my free will. I just want to love someone and not get fucked over.” 3 likes