Start by marking “Beyond All Measure (Hickory Ridge, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beyond All Measure (Hickory Ridge, #1)

Beyond All Measure

(Hickory Ridge Romance #1)

Ada has loved deeply and lost dearly. But protecting her heart could mean missing the love of a lifetime.

Ada Wentworth may be young, but she's seen enough of life to know she can only rely on herself. Everyone, including God, it seems, has let her down. Having lost her family, her fiance, and her fortune, Ada journeys from Boston to Hickory Ridge, Tennessee, to take a posi
Published May 31st 2011 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Beyond All Measure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond All Measure

Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
This is a mini ‘Books For Christian Girls’ review. It is not a full content review and will not receive one. These mini-reviews are years old and just for clarity on the rating the book received on Goodreads.

5/7/2015-
Stopped at page 86. Too many lovey-dovey feelings and touches. I’m getting a feeling that something will happen with the KuKlaxKlan and I’m too sensitive for those mentions. No on this one.”
Hannah
I got a copy last year and was preparing to add it to my next-up pile when I realized the story was really familiar. I'd actually gotten an ebook from the library and had forgotten to review it! I skimmed through part of it to refresh my memory and it was like having a nice chat with a friend I'd lost touch with.

The story is solid and enjoyable and there's nothing in it that would make me hesitate to hand it to someone as a recommendation.
Andrea Guy
Beyond All Measure is a beautiful Christian historical romance that is full of the color of the time period. The story is set in Hickory Ridge Tennessee shortly after the Civil War. Dorothy Love paints a rather good picture of how things were in the south at that time.

Ada Wentworth had traveled to that small town to be a companion to Lillian Caldwell. Lillian is one of the highlights of the book. She's such a spunky, fun old lady. She's a wonderful curmudgeon at times, and at others she's totall
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Beyond All Measure by author Dorothy Love is a beautiful, well-written novel set in 1871. If you love historical romances - you will love this book!

Ada Wentworth has lost her family, her fiance and her fortune. She feels betrayed by those she loved and has a hard time trusting anyone. In dire need of money, she answers an advertisement in the Boston Herald to take a position as a ladies companion to an elderly woman. Unfortunately, some people in the small town of Hickory Ridge, Tennessee, are f
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Looking for a fresh start after the death of her father and the end of her engagement, Ada Wentworth flees to Tennessee to become a companion for an elderly lady and to start working on her dream of making hats for ladies. What she finds in Hickory Ridge is a small town divided by prejudice in the aftermath of the Civil War: prejudice against black people and Yankees. To further complicate things, Ada seems to be falling for Wyatt, the nephew of the woman she cares for. Can she become a success ...more
Carly
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-favorites
When I think about Christian historical romances, there is a certain feel, writing style, mood, setting and story flow that I really hope to find. I may not find all of my favorite elements in a certain book, but I do like to see some of them. Beyond All Measure had everything that I love about historical fiction. I adored this book! Dorothy created a exactly the kind of book I want to read and read often.

The first thing I liked was the writing. Dorothy writes with an excellent flow that just mo
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Having lost her fortune, family and fiance during the Civil War and its aftermath, Ada Wentworth answers an ad for a position as a lady's companion and finds herself in Tennessee, a long way from Boston. While her greatest desire is to own her own millinery shop, she realizes she must first fund it and Wyatt Caldwell wants her to put her full attention toward caring for his crotchety aunt. Ada also has a painful past and must learn what it is God wants her to do. Naturally, Ada and Wyatt are att ...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best -
Lovingly, it's part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest. - Carolina Sandell Berg, "Day by Day" (C. 1865)

A broken heart is a difficult thing to bear. Even worse is the ability to let down the walls that we build up to protect the wounds from being hurt even more, while hopefully allowing the heart to mend. Yet in that process, we fail to realize what our actions are really doing. They set us apart
Renee
Nov 09, 2010 rated it liked it
The years following the American Civil War were a tumultuous period, especially for the South. Author Dorothy Love has managed to capture the unrest, the struggle to rebuild lives as well as issues of prejudice and racism all the while weaving in a sweet romance. Hickory Ridge, Tennessee, meets Boston, Massachusetts, in this inspiring story of finding ones faith in troubling times and perfect love.

The first thing that came to mind when reading this story was in spite of how different 1871 was co
Heather
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-ebook
Beyond All Measure by Dorothy Love is a wonderful book about a young woman from Boston who finds herself in Hickory Ridge Tennessee in the years following the Civil War.

In the summer of 1871 Ada Wentworth has no family, no home, and no money to her name. Ada accepts a position as a lady's companion for the elderly Lillian Willis, aunt of the local lumber mill owner, Wyatt Caldwell. Ada plans to save up enough money to establish her own hat shop with the millinery skills her mother taught her.

Wi
Cheryl
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Ada Wentworth has left Boston to come to Hickory Ridge, Tennessee. Ada wanted to see the country. Thus why she applied to be a woman companion. When Ada arrives at Hickory Ridge, she has second thoughts. To make matters worse, the other woman who was to help assist Ada with her job has left town. Now Ada is all alone in a town with no money to get back. There is just one bright spot, her employer…Wyatt Caldwell.

Wyatt owns the local lumber mill. He has not seen anyone as beautiful as Ada. Wyatt
Abbie
3.5 Stars

Ada takes a job in Tennessee as a ladies companion because she is broke and has no where else to turn. Her goal is to save her money and make hats for a living like her mom did. Lillian is the older lady she is working for and not so easy to get alone with. On her first day there she meets Wyatt who is the nephew of Lillian. He is the owner of the local lumber mill.

Wyatt has never meet someone quite like Ada. He finds himself starting to care for her. Ada had a bad break up with her f
Elizabeth
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have found a new favorite author! I absolutely loved this book.Historical fiction at its finest. Like the first it kept me intrigued.Kept me reading past my bed time more than once. I liked that that the characters possessed strong Christian values.Great read! Looking forward to reading more in the series.
*Please be aware this story takes place in the south and does have some kkk involvement/violence FYI for the younger readers.
A.M. Heath
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of post Civil War fiction. I'm a huge fan of a book with a Tennessee setting. I'm now a huge fan of Dorothy Love. Mrs. Love has won me over with her attention to detail, lovable characters, charming town, and accurate historical setting. I'm looking forward to more from Dorothy Love!
Rachel Brand
Daughter of a prosperous Bostonian family, Ada Wentworth never thought she’d find herself travelling south with all of her worldly belongings packed into a single trunk. But when her family fell on hard times and she found herself orphaned and penniless, Ada was forced to take up a position as a companion to an elderly woman in the flourishing town of Hickory Ridge, Tennessee. Despite her reservations about residing in the South so soon after the end of the Civil War, Ada needs to escape Boston. ...more
Gale
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story has all the charm, comfort & security of living in a small town ... plus the town gossips! when Ada Wentworth's life falls apart and she's left with no where to turn .... she searches for employment position and finds one far from home and all she knows .... she sets out on an adventure knowing little of what she might find ..... the results are truly heartwarming.
Deb
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a GREAT book. Dorothy Love sets the stage so you can picture the surroundings. However, she does not over describe the setting. The characters are very believable. I would love to see this made into a movie as long as they stick closely to the book. On to Book 2...
Dianne Sidebottom
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ada and Wyatt's story. Leaving the life you once new because of circumstances and going where no one knows your story but being a Yankee going into Southern territory was risky. Delightful story and characters..some of them.
Lydia
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the setting of the story-Tennessee after the Civil War, split by racial and other tensions. The characters were intriguing, however, I felt Ava's hesitancy toward romance to be weak and brought down her likability.
Elizabeth
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
This was a beautiful story from start to finish. I loved every minute spent reading it, and each of the characters I got to know in Hickory Ridge. The tender romance between the two main characters built upon a sweet, "dear friend"ship. Just the way it should be.
Lisa Anne Morrow
Loved it! Starting the second book!
Kathleen
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Sweet romance with none of the junk. But the plot was meh..
Paula-O
Mar 28, 2012 marked it as to-read
My first time to read a book by Dorothy Love and I will read more, I am always happy to find a good Christian author and stories that feed my soul.
I esp liked the words by Carolina Sandell Berg "Day by Day"
He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
gives unto each day what he deams best--
Lovingly,its part of pain and pleasure,
mingling toil with peace and rest...

Hickory Ridge Romance series book #1 "Beyond All Measure" written by Dorothy Love.
I liked the beautiful cover and content did not dis
Victor Gentile
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dorothy Love in her new book, "Beyond All Measure" Book One in the Hickory Ridge Romance series published by Thomas Nelson takes us to Hickory Ridge, Tennessee in 1871.

Ada Wentworth has been attacked by life. She has lost her family, her fiance and her fortune and now feels that the only person she can rely upon is herself, certainly not God. So she has traveled to Hickory Ridge to be a lady's companion to Lillian Willis, an elderly woman not in good health. Wyatt Caldwell is the local lumber mi
Bookworm1858
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.5/5
I really loved the cover for this with that lovely purple and the hat. I personally don't like wearing hats but I am interested in seeing other people wearing hats such as the lovely Ada Wentworth, main character in this book, and of course that is appropriate for the time period.

Ada is a destitute Bostonian who takes a position as a companion to the elderly Lillian in Tennessee. Upon her arrival, she is shocked to discover that her job is even more grueling as she will be maid, cook, and n
Staci
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Staci by: TLC Book Tours
Shelves: 2011-reads
First thoughts when I finished this book: "I can't wait to visit Hickory Ridge again!!!"

I loved this book...it was such an enjoyable read for me. I was hooked by the end of the first chapter. I found myself eager to pick it up and get it finished because I wanted to know what was going to happen next for Ada.

I love this character that the author created. She comes from a life of comfort but realizes that if she doesn't learn how to take care of herself no one else will. She's been disappointed i
Margaret Metz
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really looked forward to this book and was not let down at all. The inside is as wonderful as its cover. It's amazing to me that this is Dorothy Love's debut novel. Now I can't wait for her new book, Beauty for Ashes. :o)

The characters are what make a book come alive for me and this has some gems. Ada is a southern belle by birth who grew up in the north. She wants to be independent, has the drive to start her own business, and a sort of stubborn pride that gets her into trouble on more than o
Liz
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I recently discovered Dorothy Love, so I've been "backtracking" and reading some of her earlier books. I enjoyed this romance from the post-Civil War south, but I have to admit it didn't have the depth or pace of her latest book, A Respectable Actress. Still, I liked it enough that I'm looking forward to following the characters in the second Hickory Ridge Series book.

Ada Wentworth is a young woman looking for a fresh start after losing her parents, her financial standing and her fiancee. All s
Erlyn Lazaro
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Beyond Measure is such a surprise! What I initially thought to be an old-school, slow paced with very minimal twists and turns kind of a novel, got me reading even while aboard the train on my way to and from work. And speaking of trains, there’s something wonderful about how the author started off the story in a train station and ended it as well at the train station. Oopps! Well, that wasn’t really a spoiler isn’t it?

Alright, when I got the book I was much too excited. I love era novels. It gi
Beth
Beyond All Measure was a very sweet read. I love the post-Civil War setting. Love did an excellent job capturing the feelings of that time, especially the prejudices between North and South. The main character, Ada, is from Boston, and therefore an outsider to the people of Hickory Ridge, Tennessee. She had her own prejudices about the South, but by the novels end, they come to understand one another instead of painting everyone with the same brush.

Speaking of Tennessee, I really enjoyed the set
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 18, 2014 10:56AM

• Fairer Than Morning (Saddler's Legacy, #1)
  • Spring for Susannah
  • A Vision of Lucy (A Rocky Creek Romance, #3)
  • The Bride Wore Blue (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek, #3)
  • A Heart Divided (Heart of the Rockies, #1)
  • A Great Catch (Lake Manawa Summers, #2)
  • A Most Unsuitable Match
  • Song of My Heart (Heart of the Prairie, #8)
  • A Heart Most Worthy
  • Rugged and Relentless (Husbands for Hire, #1)
  • The Lady of Bolton Hill
  • Belonging (Where the Heart Lives, #1)
  • The Doctor's Lady
  • The Inconvenient Marriage of Charlotte Beck (Women of the West, #3)
  • Livvie's Song (River of Hope, #1)
  • Love Blooms in Winter (The Dakota Diaries #1)
  • Blue Moon Promise (Under Texas Stars, #1)
Before returning to her writing roots in historical fiction, Dorothy Love published twelve novels for young adults. Her work has garnered numerous honors from the American Library Association, the Friends of American Writers, the International Reading Association, the New York Public Library, and many others.

Hickory Ridge Romance (3 books)
  • Beauty for Ashes (Hickory Ridge, #2)
  • Every Perfect Gift (Hickory Ridge, #3)
“Life is full of risks. But if you try to build a fence around all your fears, you'll shut out joy too.” 15 likes
“When there's no other name to call, you can call on the Lord. He's the One who is always listening. Even in the darkness.” 9 likes