Start by marking “Rosebush” as Want to Read:
Rosebush

Rosebush

Jane is found, near death, in a rosebush - a victim of hit and run. But as she's convalescing she realises that her friends' stories and her memories of what happened that night aren't adding up. And now the only thing she does know is that one of her friends isn't so friendly!
Published March 1st 2011 by Atom Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rosebush, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kerrington Hood
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

“YOU SHOULD HAVE DIED,”

This was a YA mystery story about a girl paralysed after being knocked down by a car.

Jane was a strong character, although it was a little frustrating the way she couldn’t remember what had happened the night of the accident. It was unfair the way that everyone thought she was crazy when she kept going on about someone trying to kill her, but I could see why they would think that as they even had her doubting herself.

The storyline in this was about Jane receiving threa
Erin
Imagine waking up in a rosebush, pierced by hundreds of thorns, paralyzed and unable to remember the last 5 hours. That's the predicament Jane Freeman finds herself in. Someone very close to her wants her dead and they plan on finishing the job.

Rosebush wasn't the best book I've ever read but it was fun. I figured out who the would be murderer was pretty early but I had my doubts. The author Michelle Jaffe tried to throw me off but in the end I was right. Rosebush was kind of predictable but th
Bern
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like thrillers and great storytelling
Scrolling about Rosebush's page in GR I realize that I am, it seems, one of the few people who actually love this book.
Why that is, I have no idea at all.

Seriously. I've read some thrillers (most of them weren't YA because we all know how shitty those can be) and even though some of them were deemed the best by God knows how many people, to me Rosebush ranks right up there with Justine Larbalestier's Liar and Colleen McCullough's On, Off. This book is good, you guys. Actually, good doesn't be
Christiana
Listen, Michele Jaffe, I like you. I do. Also, I like your books. You are funny. That interview you did? Where they had you play MASH? And you put Santa as one of your husband possibilities? That was hilar. But this book! You were trying to be serious! Why? Why did you do that? It's like when I don't smile in pictures. It just doesn't work so I don't do it. Please don't ever do this again, ok? Just write some more Bad Kitty books so I can lol some. Also, your ending was a tiny bit dumb. Just say ...more
Marilyn
Dec 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE!
Ugh. I will never get back those six hours I spent on this tripe. I liked Jaffe's first book, Bad Kitty, so looked forward to this new title. I should've known I was in for a lousy read when a main character's name is spelled Nikki on one of the first pages, then Nicky throughout the rest of the book. Confusing, off-kilter pacing, stock characters, designer label name-dropping, unnecessary(except to titillate) same-sex kissing, and a completely unbelievable mother to top it off. Yuck! Oh, and th ...more
Colleen Houck
If you like YA and who-done-its, then this is a good one for you. Lots of mysterious clues will lead you down a dozen different paths making it hard to figure out who is after our heroine. All the gifts left in the hospital scared me more than anything else. Creepy!
I can't rate this. Too many conflicting emotions.

On the one hand, I love, love the premise. I love the way the author told the story, with a prologue of the present and then alternating between the night of the accident and Jane's recovery. It was very effective. I loved a lot of the symbolism in there and the mystery. And the book is truly poignant - within the first 100 pages I was crying so hard I could barely see the page. (Annie. That sweet little girl kills me.)
The heroine is not very admi
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
GRADE: B
4 STARS

ROSEBUSH, a delightful surprise, begins with as Jane wakes from a coma, unable to remember the hit and run accident that left her for dead beneath a ROSEBUSH. Was she trying to commit suicide? Surely her perfect boyfriend and perfect friends couldn't be at fault. The police think she's hallucinating or lying, even after she starts receiving threatening messages.

Although Jane was unkind to her mother and her soon-to-be stepfather, I believed she was a good person beneath the surfac
Red_Queen_Lover
Too predictable for me
And I couldn't get into it very easily
Abbie
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I really don't know what to think of this.
Some bits were really annoying, but other bits were really really good.

What i didn't like:

The flashbacks - They were very jumpy. Jane would be talking to someone in a flashback, then carry on the conversation she was having in present tense. It made it really confusing at times.

The characters - Jane really annoyed me at the beginning, All she cared about was popularity. On her first day, she locked herself in the schools bathrooms because she wasn't p
Jory
DO YOU KNOW HOW PAINFUL IT WAS FOR ME TO FINISH THIS BOOK??? Do you know how much I was looking forward to reading this, after reading the back of it and thinking 'Oh, this is going to be good!'??? Do you know how BORING this is?!

To answer all three of those questions: very very painful, extremely excited to get my hands on it, and so boring that I wanted to claw my eyes out.

The premise of this book is intriguing. Girl gets run over and is found in a rosebush left for dead. Girl stays in hospi
Tori
Nov 26, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone who's better at inductive reasoning
The only reason I neglected to rate this four stars was because a) this book will probably give me nightmares tonight and b) this book was to say the least...a bit confusing. Yes it was a page turner and a thriller and yes it did keep me on the edge but some things just confused me and left me rereading the page more than I already do. I'm not sure if it was just more or if this wasn't developed well to others too.

*SPOILERS*

Well to start out her memories confused me. It took me a while to figure
Josephine
This book was fantastically well thought out.
At the first time I set eyes on it the cover drew me to read the back. After finding out what I was getting myself into I just had to read it. It was so gripping that I read it none-stop. Even when it was two in the morning I couldn't put it down.

(beware - may contain spoilers)

I always thought that the killer was Ollie, but even though he was partly in the blame it was completely obvious who it was, yet not. When I found out who it was it was only b
Lexy S.C.
Not as good as I was hoping.
Twyla
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Personal Response- I really enjoyed this book. I felt it had lots of interesting plot twists that were not expected. At the end when they were revealing who had hit her, it was confusing and not worded well.

Plot Summary- Jane goes to a party with her friends on the beach. She wakes up in the hospital because she was the victim of a hit and run. All of her friends are very upset as the police try to figure out who tried to hurt her. She starts going crazy as she imagined threatening messages dire
Tantra Bensko
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't been using Goodreads much for a long time but Michele Jaffe's books bring me back so I can let people know this is great stuff. Not to miss.

Brilliant complexity, gorgeous images at its core, twists that make you go Gah and Ah and Ha. The mystery could go any direction, so there's plenty possibilities for your mind to try to figure out. Characters hide who they really are. We must know their secrets.
Chrissy
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the mystery. I kept changing my mind about who did it and I did not predict that ending lol.
Lisa
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Long Story ? - I'm not much of a mystery/suspense reader because they're usually too mysterious and too suspenseful to keep me from peeking at the ending. Which is exactly what I did, I peeked, I saw and it took the mystery out of it, now you know why I usually stick with predicable contemporaries or wacky paranormals. However, I really enjoyed it, like I really, really, really liked this book.

Honestly, I'm very fascinated with this concept of high school where teenagers would do anything
Saryu
Mar 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosebush Penguin Group, 2010, 326pp, $16.99
Michele Jaffe ISBN978-59514-353-2

“The image is stark yet beautiful. In the foreground and slightly to the right, set in blue-gray grass, is a fantastic bush. It looks like something from a fairy tale, a witch cursed into an alternate form, gnarled fingers reaching for the sky. In the center lies a girl.”
    That girl is Jane Freeman. In Michele Jaffe's, Rosebush, a dramatic mystery novel, Jane awakens in a hospital and finds out that a car hit
Juhina
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I am a huge mystery thriller junkie. I love anything mystery, especially if it keeps me guessing and thinking and trying to figure out who the murderer is, but in Rosebush's case, it is who wants to see Jane dead. Someone who is still persistent even after Jane ends up almost dying and gets put in the hospital. The phone messages, the secret admirer gifts, it was all so creepy! I really didn't know who the murderer is, and I usually have a gift when it comes to figuring out who the murderer is i ...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
When I received an ARC for this book, I have to admit that I was intrigued. I mean, how could I not want to know what happens to this poor girl who ends up left for dead in a rosebush? Of course I wanted to know what happened, and get to know this character...

Jane Freeman is just like every other popular teenage girl in high school. She has two very close friends--Kate and Langley--a gorgeous boyfriend--David--as well a friend who shares her interest in photography--Scott. She loves taking pictu
Hannah
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know what's going on with my taste in books lately. I rarely read mysteries, but I've read loads in the last few months. And even though I've read quite a few now, Rosebush is by far my favorite!

The suspense in Rosebush is amazing, so well-done. There wasn't a minute while reading this book where I wasn't either completely terrified or trying to figure out who the killer is. It's so compelling to find out what happened alongside Jane, seeing how everything she slowly remembers add
Ginny
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kandice Dover
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Jane Freeman has no idea what the hell happened when she wakes up in the hospital. She's told she was in a hit and run accident but it seems too easy for an explanation. So she pieces together the clues left behind by her friends all the while trying to convince the doctors, her family and herself that she isn't crazy.

I am honestly mind blown. This caught me off guard completely. Every time I thought I knew who it was, I was dead wrong. Every damn time.

I really thought this was a wonderful book
D.
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I picked up this book, I had heard of neither the author nor the book itself. However, I thought that this book was wonderful! It is a great portrait of the apparently popular, has-it-all girl who gets a reality check of the most extreme variety. I loved the mystery aspect in this novel (of course) and coupled with the classic teenage romance and drama makes a terribly wonderful, I couldn't put it down, marvellous and engaging story. I am a totally upstanding, never been-to-a-drinking-party ...more
Mav
Based on the book description, I started Rosebush expecting friends with secrets. Friends who are covering their asses from the law. Misunderstandings. What I got instead is a pushover, naive, and people pleasing heroine who can't see that her friends and love interest(s) are toxic. The scenes with her boyfriend made me ill - it was very obvious that he was manipulative and mentally abusive. I stopped on page 136 and started skimming ahead. The villain wasn't a total surprise, even with all the ...more
haley
I felt very conflicted about this book. I thought the beginning was brilliant. I loved the mystery, was dying to get to the end.

And then the end came. I honestly did not see it coming. But that's because it was really RANDOM. I'm not gonna lie, I really didn't like it. I just don't understand the person's motive, or rather, the lack of a motive. Am I supposed to believe that the person is just crazy? I don't get it.

I felt that toward the end, the author just kept introducing all these new suspec
Serena
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
*Please note that the two-star rating comes from personal opinion on the plot and does not in anyway reflect that superb writing in this book. Please enter "killer" and "it" at the appropriate times for "spoiler" if you have not read this book yet.*

The writing in this books deserves 4 out of 5 stars. It was CREEPY. The horror part was really well-done, a perfect mixture of traditional and modern. The author did an excellent job at making everyone a suspect, so that when the ending came who the
Larissa
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
She looked like something out of a fairytale, a beautiful princess lying dead amidst a rosebush. Luckily she wasn't dead, but she soon would be if one of her 'friends' had anything to say about it.

Waking up in hospital Jane found she could remember nothing of the night before, slowly over the next few day however her memory was returning to her, but her memories were not matching up to the story her friends had told her about that night. Was she going crazy or where her friends lying to her?

It's
Leeann Sheriff
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane was new to the area and became friend with Langely and Kate. each formed their special bond with each other and became known as the Three Musketeers. Langely had issues with always stealing something, Kate was the confused one who made out with Jane. Jane is dating David who has aggressive and violent tendencies which He probably picked up fro his father as told in the story. They all go to a party and dress up in different sexy costumes. Next thing Jane wakes in the hospital paralyzed and ...more

• The Deadly Sister
  • Like Mandarin
  • The Sweetness of Salt
  • You Are Not Here
  • When Rose Wakes
  • Nearly Departed (Weirdsville, #1)
  • Anxious Hearts
  • Choker
  • The River
  • Rich and Mad
  • As I Wake
Michele Jaffe (b. March 20 in Los Angeles, California), is an American writer. She has authored novels in several genres, including historical romance, suspense thrillers, and novels for Young Adults.
Impossible is just another word for 'loser who gives up.” 16 likes
“Don't let them make you doubt yourself. All the greatest visionaries in history have been told they were insane at some point.” 13 likes