Start by marking “The Shelf Elf” as Want to Read:
The Shelf Elf

The Shelf Elf

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  264 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 8/30/2004 Pages: Reading Level: Age 8 and Up
Published August 30th 2004 by Upstartbooks

kaitlyn
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-library
I read this book to K–2 to begin a discussion about the rules in our library. It covered all of the main things I needed to discuss with the students, so it was great to read a page with them and then clarify what the rules are in our library.

They loved the story of the shelf elf—the way it begins with the end of the story about the shoemaker and the elves really got them—and they enjoyed looking at all the details in the illustrations. Because there are so many cool little details, it was hard
Renee
Sep 11, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a great book for teaching children about the library. It's really a one on one type of book. Not really great for storytime as the pictures are so intricate you really want to sit with the child to make sure they see the pictures. Fantastic illustrations.
Bethe
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
classic book care rules book - read it to K every year, have the bulletin board set and action figures on display in the library. We love Skoob!
Jim
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
amazing, detailed, beautiful, clever art. how should you behave in a library as told by one of the elves that made shoes in the fairy tale.
Sam Roberts
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This Book is about a Shelf Elf that works in the public library. He tends to all matters pertaining to library regulations and book rules. His goal is to win an award and teach students the rules of the library. He goes through all the rules that good children should follow while at the library. The major themes of this book are education and fantasy. I thought this book did a good job of present the library rules to young students in a fun filled and positive manner. I recommend this book becau ...more
Shannon
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Ironically, my library's copy had something sticky all over the cover. . . I guess the reader didn't take the lessons to heart! This is a cute way to teach kids how to treat books and behave in a library. I loved the names of the characters (Ms. Paige Turner and Stacks, the Grand Dewey Daddy).
Bethany Ruccolo
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I LOVE THE SCAVENGER HUNT AT THE END!
Lindsay
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lessons-4-kids
3.5
fun way to learn library etiquette for kids
Heidi-Marie
This is a cute book to teach very young children the way to use and treat a library and its materials. The book is better used in library collections than a book to own at home. But it would be a great read to kindergarteners on their first day of school or trip to the library. Of course, nothing says a parent can't teach children even younger than that the proper way to use a library. My favorite part were the illustrations and all of the tiny book characters throughout the library and bookshel ...more
Joan Oegema
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers & librarians
If you are reading this book to young children, I suggest reading the Elves and the Shoemaker first since The Shelf Elf begins where the Elves and the Shoemaker ends. Rather confusing? Well, try explaining the beginning to a group of kindergartners.

This is a good book for introducing proper library rules and procedures but it does get a little long if you want to keep the attention of little ones.

All in all, this is a wonderful book. Hopefully my students learn from the book and will be good she
Maria Burel
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The purpose of this book is to use a library shelf elf, Skoob, to teach library rules and care of materials. I personally felt that it came off a little preachy. While I could see using something similar at the start of a school year, or with small children being introduced to the library setting, I think there are better texts that would achieve the same purpose and not make the books seem untouchable, or the libraries as places of silence and “off-limits” to exploring children.
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book for library orientation with the lower grades (k-2).
It reviews the expectations for the library and includes some interactive pages (looking for misplaced books).
I have an Elf Shelf trophy, and the kids are excited about it. With the popularity of the elf on the shelf at Christmas, the kids relate this book with that, which is great.
We now have a Skoob who shows up around the library!

Lesley Looper
This is a book about good library manners for children. It seems like a good read-aloud book, though in the back of the book it provides a list of things to look out for throughout the book. Other than looking for things on that list, I'm not sure it would be a book I would've checked out for myself as a kid.
Anastasia
I know this was written 10 years ago, but something about it reminds me of the 1970s. Maybe the art style, a little? It's very cute, though, and I love all the fake book titles. Still, I think The Library Dragon might be a more fun for kids to read regarding library rules. BUT this one also has an I Spy section, which is a lot of fun.
Nielson
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is the most DARLING book! It is all about Skoob, the shelf elf, and library manners. It teaches in rhyme how to take care of books including using a book marker, a bookmark, keeping books away from food and water etc. What a fun way to teach students how to take care of books! It would be appropriate for all ages!
Mary Simmons
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Perfect book to read aloud to reinforce the importance of keeping library shelves in order. The Shelf Elf works to keep the library shelves straight, and the books in order. Lovely illustrations, and cute rendering of age old library rules that we would love children to follow, I would love to give Shelf Elf awards!
Mandy
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Summary:
Now that the shoemaker and his wife don't need the elves anymore, Skoob (books spelled backwards) lives in a library helping straighten and care for the books. He hopes to win the prestigious Golden Shelf Elf Award, and instructs his readers in good library manners and book care to help him earn it.
Teresa Garrett
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have used this book for several years to teach library manners and book care. Kids like helping read the rhyming advice offered by Skoob the Shelf Elf! I also like having the shelf elf character appear when reading this. There are others in the series but this is my favorite.
Katie Lawrence
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My students love this book! It is a great way to explain library rules without rattling off a long list of "Do Nots". We now have our own shelf elf in our library and the kids love him! A great way to introduce expectations and monitor behavior.
Hillary Flatt
Nov 23, 2011 rated it liked it
It was a pretty good book talk about how to take care of books in the library and teaching children library rules along the way. It was in the voice of a little elf. It isn't a story but it is a non-fiction book on taking care of library books.
Andria
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This is the best book out there to explain how a library works and the rules to make the library work. The kids love it as we refer to the book all year long in grades k-2, as well as the songs and activities.
Amanda
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
Was looking for The Elf on the Shelf and checked out the wrong book. But I place it here because it's a good book to introduce children to library manners.
Victoria
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
such a cute book for the beginning of the year
Emily
Still don't love it...but used it to intro the library!
Gena Lott
Sep 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A great reminder for younger children about how to act in the library and how to take care of their books.
Diana
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Purchased this to read to Prep to G4 students at work. Skoob the shelf elf teaches library etiquette and book care.
Mariah
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The most thorough book I have found to teach little ones about how to handle the school library.
K.C.
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Not exactly what we thought it would be, but it was ok.
Mallory
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great for introduction to library rules and information.
Carolyn
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great book for teaching library etiquette.
  • The Library Gingerbread Man
  • Our Librarian Won't Tell Us Anything!: A Mrs. Skorupski Story [With Book]
  • The Wonderful Book
  • The Library Dragon
  • The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians
  • Never Let a Ghost Borrow Your Library Book: Book Care Guidelines from Library Secret Service
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • The Best Book to Read
  • My Librarian Is a Camel: How Books Are Brought to Children Around the World
  • I.Q. Goes to the Library
  • Biblioburro: A True Story from Colombia
  • Aunt Chip and the Great Triple Creek Dam Affair
  • Go to Sleep, Groundhog!
  • Otto the Book Bear
Jackie Mims Hopkins is a storyteller, a school librarian and a former teacher. She is the author of several children's books, including The Three Armadillies Tuff and The Gold Miner's Daughter. She lives in Texas.
More about Jackie Mims Hopkins