Start by marking “Roget's International Thesaurus” as Want to Read:
Roget's International Thesaurus

Roget's International Thesaurus

The most up-to-date edition of the worlds bestselling thesaurus, Rogets International Thesaurus, 7th Edition, gives writers of all levels an unparalleled aid in using language with precision, grace, and power.

The most comprehensive, user-friendly thesaurus available, Rogets features more than 325,000 words and phrases, including more than 2,000 all-new entries that reflect
Paperback, Seventh Edition, 1312 pages
Published August 2nd 2011 by Collins Reference (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about Roget's International Thesaurus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roget's International Thesaurus

Start your review of Roget's International Thesaurus
Tomijo Gale
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A desk without a good thesaurus is like a house without windows.
Peacenow
Jun 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Besides being a "use-full" book, I consider Roget's a sort of "holy" book. I could write a book about this book; not a biography of the author, but, how this book can change one's life..., how it can guide and order a life. It has so much power. Perhaps I'll take on the project of explaining the way I perceive this book; how I use it. I've tried, verbally, but always fail and leave the listener yawning. I will work on it, and change this review when its done.

For now, let it suffice... get the
James
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, reference
Just got this, and it's still the best - "The original Roget's", as the dust jacket says. The way it's organized is counter-intuitive, at least for me, but it works better than anything else I've found. I've been accumulating - collecting sounds too organized - dictionaries and thesauruses (thesauri?) since I was a teenager, and I always come back to the original-format Roget's. Believing that using exactly the right word is important, for me this book would be worth buying at twice the price.
E.J. Matze

Classification of Words
Key Words in Bold Type
John Hawkins
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to read. Just kept saying the same thing over and over but in different words.
Megan
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I literally read the thesaurus. Twice. I'm not pretentious, I just love words!
Michael
Dec 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It worked for Sylvia Plath!
Aldean
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: word people
I forget the precise point in my life where I finally got my hands on this magnificent volume; it was either late in high school or in the ramp-up to college. But whenever it was, it was a watershed moment.

This is definitely a tool that takes some getting used to, particularly if you have already been using an alphabetical-entry thesaurus. The Roget's, with its categories and its massive index (it must be a third of the page count) was very daunting and a bit unfriendly to a young user. But once
Zhukora
Roget's unique categorical organization of words makes it an enduring classic. It was, perhaps, slightly more difficult to figure out how to use when I was a child than alphabetically-organized thesauri, but once I understood the system, Roget's helped engender a love of words in me that assured me top marks on the SAT, GRE, and the verbal sections of all other standardized tests. I actually read this thesaurus for fun![return][return]It seems odd to be so passionate about a reference book, but ...more
Gary
Dec 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
maybe one of the few books on my shelves really deserving the five-star rating.

indispensable.

i'm not sure if this edition has the format i prefer: a dictionary in the back, and the front arranged with synonyms opposite antonyms all arranged by concept (from abstract to specific)

not only indispensable but for anyone reading english as a second-language, required

Patricia Burroughs
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patricia by: Pamela Renner
Shelves: reference, nonfiction
A friend of mine scoffed at my high school era thesaurus, as she vastly preferred the older 1946 edition. Tracking down a copy for myself was the first step in what has turned into a collection of Roget's Thesauri. It's definitely different from the later editions. I can't say it's better or worse, but I do like checking between them from time to time when I'm not finding quite the right word.
John
Mar 06, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know who this Roger guy is, but I have to say, this book confused the hell out of me. If theres a plot, I couldnt find one, or any main characters. Also, it seems awfully repetitive, and where the hell was the Minotaur? ...more
Textmaven
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
Roget is my hero. A marvel of hierarchies.
Brenda
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Best thesaurus ever! I own an old and battered third edition, but you couldn't pay me to part with it.
Jorn Barger
Aug 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
the alphabetical versions are for cowards-- wrestle with the numbering system as a steppingstone to understanding the semantic web, etc
S Jean Schultze
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As gripping a literary work as could be produced without plot or characters!
D
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The gold standard for all thesauruses.
Bess
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Regardless of the vast options for internet resources on how to write well, a hard copy of a Thesaurus is invaluable. It was useful for school and useful for writing today.
Lnq .
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than online editions.
Mary Catelli
Usually I read a book twice, to be sure, before reviewing. This one, however, I haven't read through even once.

Roget's International Thesaurus was not designed to be read. It's wonderful for browsing, though.

The real charm to it is that it is organized by topic, not alphabetically. You can drill down from the overarching concepts or look up the section in the index in the back. But once you have gotten to it -- well, in an alphabetical one, since they have to repeat the synonyms for each word,
Jewce
Jul 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I read an entire thesaurus, thank you. I unpretentiously but diligently devoured it cover to cover in approximately 4 hours and now I am not bragging about it, but merely informing you of my accomplishment. Ah, the review. I found it trite, convoluted, and absurd. It was ingenuous in its rare attempts at humor.
HeavyReader
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any and all writers
Recommended to HeavyReader by: Kathy Delcarpio
Even though I've had this book since I graduated from high school in 1989 (thanks Ms. Delcarpio!), I have not read the whole thing. Show me someone who has read the enitre Roget's Thesaurus, and I will applaud that person for being a bigger word geek than I am.

This book has helped me so much with my writing. When I need a new word, this book is where I turn. I love it!
Melanie
Apr 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gift from my dad--was it seventh grade? Sometime in middle school. And I took it to college with me. Forget Merriam-Webster online--this is one of my most valuable possessions! It's full of not just synonyms, but literary references and turns-of-phrase.

Alan
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It's helped me when I've been stuck. Yes it's a thesaurus, but the information is pertinent to life. It will help you make connections you hadn't realize existed, and remind you of one's you've forgotten.
Kristina
a fabulous reference tool for anyone that has to use the written word to communicate effectively. I couldn't live without a thesaurus in my house ok, well I probably could, but I woudn't want to!
Brenton
Jun 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the twists and turns this takes, it will just make your head spin... WITH DELIGHT!
C.J. Ruby
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, owned, reference
"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." Proverbs 25:11
Karen Hood
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic that everyone should read and read again.
Marc Mayfield
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zipped through it cover to cover in one sitting! I just couldn't put it down, even though there's no plot to speak of. Lots of words for the money!
Leonard Pierce
Jun 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Everybody needs a good thesaurus, and this is a good thesaurus.

• A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
  • Modern Technical Writing: An Introduction to Software Documentation
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction
  • Black Boy
  • Ecce Homo
  • Las batallas en el desierto
  • Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light
  • El llano en llamas
  • Diana: Her True Story in Her Own Words
  • The Philosophy Book: From the Vedas to the New Atheists, 250 Milestones in the History of Philosophy
  • The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics
  • What Is Real?: The Unfinished Quest for the Meaning of Quantum Physics
  • When Einstein Walked with Gödel: Excursions to the Edge of Thought
  • The Third Wave: An Entrepreneur's Vision of the Future
  • Writing Tools: 50 Essential Strategies for Every Writer
Dr. Barbara Ann Kipfer (born in 1954) is a lexicographer,as well as an archaeologist. She has written more than 60 books, including 14,000 Things to be Happy About (Workman), which has more than a million copies in print and has given rise to many Page-a-Day calendars. The 25th anniversary edition of the book was published in October 2014. She is the editor of Roget's International Thesaurus.

News & Interviews