Start by marking “Hannibal” as Want to Read:
Hannibal

Hannibal

(Hannibal Lecter #3)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  70,148 Ratings  ·  2,368 Reviews
Horror lit's head chef Harris serves up another course in his Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter trilogy, and it's a pièce de résistance for those with strong stomachs. In the first book, Red Dragon (filmed as Manhunter), Hannibal diabolically helps the FBI track a fascinating serial killer. (Takes one to know one.) In The Silence of the Lambs, he advises fledgling FBI manhunt ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 496 pages
Published June 8th 1999 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Hannibal, please sign up.
Shandor Nikitits
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cora Personally, I thought the other two were much better than this one. You could read it without the other two but you do miss some of the background and…morePersonally, I thought the other two were much better than this one. You could read it without the other two but you do miss some of the background and character development. (less)

Ana
If I saw you everyday, forever, I would remember this time.

photo Audrey-Hepburn-Pulls-Down-Glasses_zpsskxpmqeo.gif

And they say psychopaths aren't romantic.

(view spoiler)
Peggy
Aug 22, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, let me confess up front: I loved Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs. Loved them. I enjoyed the movies, too: the movie version of Silence of the Lambs scared the pee out of me, and even so, I didn’t want it to end. So, long years later when I finally got hold of a copy of Hannibal, I really, really, wanted to love it, too.

But I didn’t.

Well, that’s not entirely true. If I pretend that this wasn’t a sequel about characters I already know, then I can find some bright spots. The book has s
Alejandro
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, horror, detective
He’s Hannibal alright, but she’s not Clarice!

This is the third novel in the “Hannibal Lecter” book series.

WILL THE REAL MAIN CHARACTER PLEASE STAND UP?

I already explained in my review of The Silence of the Lambs that I became fan of the story for Clarice Starling instead of Dr. Hannibal Lecter, and pondering about the “ball effective time” of Lecter in the first two books, I still believe that Thomas Harris never thought that Hannibal Lecter would become the leading character in the book ser
The Serendipity Aegis ~ ☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
DD 10/01/2017 Hated it passionately. This is that rare case where books are even worse than films, if you can believe it. I don't know whatever possessed me to flip through this series. Thankfully, that entity (demon of boredom? cluelesness?) was swiftly exorcised by pretty average writing, plot with Boeing-sized holes (were we really supposed to believe in vanishing special agents who almost no one conveniently gives a damn about?) and nauseating character-building. So far this is a DNF. Left t ...more
*TANYA*
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannibal happens to be one of my favorite fictional characters and with this book I became more enamored with him. Yes, it's twisted but me likes him a lot!!
Ahmad Sharabiani
Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter #3), Thomas Harris
عنوان: هانیبال؛ ادامه سکوت بره ها؛ نویسنده: توماس هریس؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: هفتم فوریه سال 2000 میلادی
عنوان: هانیبال؛ نویسنده: توماس هریس؛ مترجم: اصغر اندرودی؛ تهران، نشر البرز؛ 1378؛ در 615 ص؛ شابک: 9644422333؛
عنوان: هانیبال؛ نویسنده: توماس هریس؛ مترجم: شهناز مهدوی؛ تهران، نشر هامان؛ 1378؛ در 598 ص؛ شابک: 9649221816؛
عنوان: هانیبال؛ نویسنده: توماس هریس؛ مترجم: کورس جهانبیگلو؛ تهران، دایره؛ 1378؛ در 374 ص؛ شابک: ایکس - 964683924؛ چاپ دوم 1388 ؛ شابک:
Noiresque
Jul 10, 2007 rated it did not like it
I have a theory about this horrible book.

Both Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs are formidable pieces of pop fiction. They are well-written thrillers with great descriptions and characters. They were both adapted into great movies. They made Thomas Harris a very rich man.

I think Mr. Harris made a bet, maybe with a friend or just to himself. He knew that his next novel would be snapped up for big bucks for the screen rights. He knew he would not get any control over the script. So he dec
Tristan
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
“Did you ever think, Clarice, why the Philistines don't understand you? It's because you are the answer to Samson's riddle. You are the honey in the lion.”

Clearly, the world didn’t need ( 'want' is another matter, of course ) one more novel featuring Hannibal Lecter. At the end of Silence of the Lambs, the good doctor had escaped the clutches of the law, after having treated the local authorities to a grotesque display of Grand Guignol theatre by way of parting gift.

description

This was a more than fitti
Erin
Who knew The Hannibal Lecter series was a love story.

What Da Fuck did I just read?

I was hesitant to read Hannibal, various people told they hated the book and Everyone said they hated the movie and since I Loved both the book and movie versions of Red Dragon & The Silence of the Lambs...I was worried...Very worried. I waited over a month between finishing Lambs and starting Hannibal. I just kept putting it off & putting it off until I finally decided to force myself to read it for my R
Stargirl
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh that ending. Sublime.

Gothic horror detective chase story, blends genres with great ease, affirming Harris as a master storyteller- as if we didn't already know. Don't go in expecting another Red Dragon or Silence of the Lambs. This is a much bigger, far darker experience. It's all in the title people. Silence was the story of Clarice Starling, so there is a lot of hope and innocence to it. This one, is about the dark side of her character- and of that awful/awesome Doctor Mr Lecter himself.
Sufferingbruin
Oct 25, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lord, what an awful book. Awash in mediocrity from first page to last. It has mediocre characters (the same which were so captivating in "Silence of the Lambs"), mediocre dialogue, mediocre scenery, virtually no suspense (but a plethora of pointlessly putrid acts), and a meandering narrative that often lacks consistency of time and place. "Hannibal" does not induce fear or revulsion so much as groans and guffaws. But don't worry: there's a bleeding HIV-postiive woman holding a baby whose last li ...more
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
**Note - After my re-read on 3/24/15, have bumped from four to five stars and edited review a little. *

I read the four books in order of sequence, not publication, ending with Hannibal. I'm not sure if it was following them in order or my mood, but I was more enamored this time around. It's turned out to be my favorite in the series. I know this isn't the popular opinion, but I think Harris did a brilliant job wrapping up the series.

The plot is as diabolical as Silence of the Lambs was, this tim
Chris Shepherdson
When Thomas Harris created the infamous Hannibal Lector in Red Dragon he couldn't have known the influence that character would have on crime fiction for the next decade. By the time he came to write Hannibal, ten years after his previous book, The Silence of The Lambs, he must have felt some serious pressure. The fact that Hannibal is the book it is, when written under these circumstances, makes it all the more remarkable.
To call it a crime novel is doing it a grave injustice and reading it as
Darth J
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, awesome
Movie, Y U NO B LIEK BOOK?!
Rade
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"is it as good as Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs? No...this one is better." - Stephen King

Oh put a cork in it, King. I love you but you are not being truthful at all. This book was IMO a giant turd of words. Feel free to disagree.

For one, Lecter needs to remain a secondary character, the kind that will offer advice and feed on personal information of the people interviewing him. In this book he is featured a lot more than in other books. He is free but at the same time he is hunted and
James
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I wouldn't
The book starts off wonderfully with Harris's visualization; you can see everything you read. There are complex characters introduced and of course a wicked weave between them. He shows the master insanity of Hannibal with his elaborate set-ups for escape from not only Starling but from a vile creature named Verger who sets out to seek revenge on the good doctor. And you are eating this up the whole time, because it seems that Harris is once again quite the masterful story teller. But then you g ...more
Niki
Jul 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full review will come very soon, maybe even in a few hours. I don't need to think long and hard about this one before reviewing it.

...Indeed, a few hours later, here I am reviewing this book.

First things first: I will not be putting any of the spoilers under a spoiler cut. That's because you SHOULD spoil yourself before reading this book, and spare yourself from reading it altogether.

(Spare yourself. SAVE yourself. It's too late for me, but save yourself!!)

Usually, I put the negative stuff I hav
Bradley
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, psychology
I knew it was really a love story because I had seen the movie first, but I didn't realize how much of a love story it would become. Sure, cat and mouse games were predominant, and they were satisfyingly concluded, but the true joy for me came with not only identifying with, but actively loving the title character. Clarise, on the other hand, has become a much more interesting character.
I'm not certain how much I believe her own transformation. Sure, a person can be programmed, and I know that i
Rosie
Jul 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was obviously relishing my next installment in the world of Clarice Starling and Dr Hannibal Lecter. The book opens explosively with dramatic happenings, despite Starling's FBI career being a slight anti-climax due to influences from former enemies. Again, I'd seen the film before I read the book and so most of the major plot occurences I was already aware of, but there are more differences between the two Hannibal medias than in the films of Harris' previous two novels. The film had the advan ...more
Andrew Breslin
I've been openly endorsing a lot of cannibalism lately, what with my "Eat the Rich" sign down at the ongoing occupy Philadelphia event up the street. As far as a strategy for revolutionary change and general economic improvement, I'm not sure it will work, but it couldn't possibly be any less effective than supply-side economics, and would be much more fun.

Hannibal Lecter is, arguably, literature's most beloved cannibal. I say "arguably" only because I want to start an argument so I'll have mor
Steve
May 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*CONTAINS SPOILERS & SWEETBREADS*
After discovering Harris upon seeing the phenomenal movie 'Manhunter' in the '80s I sought out Red Dragon which was a fantastic and gripping cat & mouse rollercoaster ride. Its follow up was of course Silence Of The Lambs, equally engrossing and with a massively popular movie adaptation to boot. It was therefore such a massive disappointment to read Hannibal, a book I'd waited impatiently for for the best part of a decade.
In all honesty I don't think I'v
Melissa Chung
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
What a ride. There are four books in this series, but the ending in 'Hannibal' seems to be the end of the book series. I've heard that book 4 'Hannibal Rising' is some what of a prequel. I will soon find out. I start the book tomorrow.

What can I say about this story. Clarice Starling is still our main character. Our main villain is vile and Hannibal Lecter is still encouraging us readers to carry on in Starlings plight.

This particular book does not have the same pattern as the first two books.
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
***Edit: Second time reading it:

"You are a warrior, Clarice. The most stable elements appear in the middle of the periodic table, roughly between iron and silver. Between iron and silver. I think that is appropriate for you. Did you ever think, Clarice, why the Philistines don't understand you? It's because you are the answer to Samson's riddle: You are the honey in the lion."

In this tale of murder and mayhem from the esteemed Thomas Harris, we follow Hannibal Lecter across the globe as he is ru
Kim
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
This is not a crime novel. It's certainly set up like one, yes, but it's much more than that. Hannibal is not only a book that revolves around a killer and his unusual relationship with an FBI Agent - it's a close examination of good versus evil, innocence versus corruption, and most of all, the evils of institutionalized misogyny and how the people we think we are supposed to trust betray us in the most harmful and damaging ways. It's both a horror story and a psychological thriller wrapped up ...more
Matt Tandy
This is one of the most difficult books to review. On one hand, though not as good as Red Dragon or The Silence Of The Lambs, Hannibal is an intense read, looking at the depths of human deprivation. Mason Verger is a villain far surpassing Dollarhyde or Buffalo Bill. The machinations of Kendler and others in the FBI and other government agencies add to the suspense, and give Starling a real adversary. Margot is complex, never revealing exactly where she stands until the end.

On the other hand, I
Mrs.
The part where (view spoiler) gave me nightmares.

Still does....why the effff did I bring that up again.
Nov 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am absolutely heartbroken that I've finished this series! I have overly optimistic hopes that Thomas Harris will surprise everyone with another addition, but I doubt that I'll be that lucky.
I've read a lot of reviews which have said that Hannibal is far worse than any of the other books, and that the ending (different from the film's) is too unrealistic to believe. I have to disagree with them all!
I loved this book, and even though it's been 2 days since I finished it, I've read and re-read th
Esma Tezgi
Sep 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
2.5
Kitap 430'lara kadar çok güzel ve heyecanlı ilerledi, yazar gerçekten iyi bir kurguya imza atmıştı, her sayfa da dolu doluydu. Fakat 430'dan sonrası benim için kabus gibiydi, yazarın bu kısımlar tabii ki de rüyaydı demesini ve her şeyin normale dönmesini ne kadar istesem de her şey daha kötüye gitti. Hannibal karakterine biçilen bu son bana oldukça rahatsızlık verici geldi, "iyiler hep kazanır"a inanmam ama buradaki son gerçekten çok rahatsız ediciydi. Seriye devam edip bitirme isteğim de kal
Warrengent
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite books of all time pure quality.
Diane
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite possibly what would be considered a disaster. There was never a single moment where I was enthralled enough to keep turning the pages. Of course, that's unfortunate, because it's set in a world where a monster like Hannibal Lecter runs free. The very earth should be shivering beneath his footfalls and it doesn't. Each page should be something of a continued suspension and I had no problems putting the book down to turn to something more important.

I've always enjoyed the simpli
the symbol on the cover 3 7 Apr 17, 2018 01:35AM
The movie version ending, or movie vs. book 83 1631 Apr 16, 2018 12:48PM
mason verger 2 6 Apr 16, 2018 12:21PM
UCAS English 10 H...: March reading asignment 1 2 Mar 11, 2018 03:26PM
Comments on the series Ending! Am I the only one who thinks its good? 4 32 Mar 02, 2018 12:27AM
So...Barney (End Scenes) 2 38 Jan 08, 2017 08:10AM
  • Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
  • Waiting
  • The Hills Have Eyes: The Beginning
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name. This is Thomas^^^Harris

Thomas Harris began his writing career covering crime in the United States and Mexico, and was a reporter and editor for the Associated Press in New York City. His first novel, Black Sunday, was printed in 1975, followed by Red Dragon in 1981, The Silence of the Lambs in 1988, Hannibal in

Hannibal Lecter (4 books)
  • Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1)
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • Hannibal Rising (Hannibal Lecter, #4)

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
  • The Woman in the Dunes
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
“The tragedy is not to die, but to be wasted.” 227 likes
“I think it's easy to mistake understanding for empathy - we want empathy so badly. Maybe learning to make that distinction is part of growing up. It's hard and ugly to know somebody can understand you without even liking you.” 150 likes