Start by marking “Legend of the Mer (Legend of the Mer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Legend of the Mer (Legend of the Mer, #1)

Legend of the Mer (Legend of the Mer #1)

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  227 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Lana Prentis is 17 years old and lives on Safe Harbor Island in the North Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of North Carolina. She was born with several physical challenges. Lana is an albino with silver eyes, milky-white skin, white hair and webbed fingers and toes. Lana hides her fingers by wearing fingerless gloves and she never shows her feet.

Lana's father (Cole Prentis) i
Nook, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2010 by Sheri L. Swift

To ask other readers questions about Legend of the Mer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legend of the Mer

D.M. Dutcher
May 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Great premise, horrible execution. Lana is the daughter of a lighthouse keeper living off the shores of North Carolina. She's self-conscious about her albino skin and webbed hands and feet, and tends to overcompensate by being a Goth: wearing black, heavy makeup, etc. She's also never learned how to swim, ironically. One day she does, and it leads to her discovering her true heritage as a merwalker, a half-human half-mermaid.

I'm not going to mince words. The book is bad. The author tells everyth
Kiery
Nov 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Worst writing ever. Poor grammer, poor sentence structure, everything was disjointed. stopped after the first hundred pages into the ebook.
R.S. Oswald
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
DNF.
Sorry, but I couldn't get past the stilted dialogue and bad grammar.
Two stars for a decent concept?
Ammanda
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I honestly didn't know if I would like this book at first. The style of writing is much different than I'm used to and some of the dialogue is different. However, the further along I got into the book, the more I just couldn't put it down. I know what it is like to be made fun of and then pick up a sport and everything start to change because you're pretty good at it. I also know how it feels to want to be able to say there is a whole other world out there for you that you never realized. . . th ...more
Howard Parsons
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
It is the policy of this reviewer to NOT include spoilers and/or plot synopses in his reviews. (Neptune knows that there are enough other reviewers who do this.) Instead, this reviewer usually chooses to comment on the book as a whole or, perhaps, certain characters and/or points in the plot.

Unless otherwise noted, all reviews are based on the Kindle edition.

A small, isolated island community. A father trying to keep his motherless daughter close to him. A lonely adolescent affecting goth-like a
Natalie
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I wasn't sure if I would like this book or not when I first started reading. Then the further I read into it, I couldn't get enough. The phrasing is a little bizarre at times but I think this is the authors way of distinguishing between the mermaids and the humans. The story surrounds a young girl who discovers she may not be entirely human. She is thrown into a different environment where once she was a social outcast now she is a princess and is wanted by everyone even the kind you don't want ...more
Celeste
This is a story about a young teenage girl who feels like she is an outcast. She has webbed fingers and toes and is an albino. Her father is a lighthouse keeper and her mother drowned when she was young. Though circumstances that are unseen, Lana, the main character, discovers a part of herself and her history that has been kept hidden all these years. This light hearted book will lift your spirits and make you believe in mermaids once again.
Jasmine
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
At first the book started off slow, but when the pace picked up I found it hard to put down. The book had good twists, and the characters were cool, and loveable. The story was intriguing, and so were the characters.
Melony Fallen
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mermaids
Very fast read. loved that it was so simple and pure.
Danielle
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, mermaids
Poor grammar, repetitive scenes and narrative, boring characters, far too long. But a mermaid story, which was what I wanted.
Rachael Evans
Jan 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Idea of the book was goid but the Grammar and phrasing was terrible, couldn't finish the book.
Kelly Britton
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
the actual plot of the book is very good, but the author is a terrible writer!
there is no correct punctuation or grammar it's like nobody correctly edited the book!
Amy McK
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
The idea behind the story is intriguing and the world could be captivating. I wish the author had written with the intention of putting meat on the bones. It felt like I was reading a skeleton of a book. I gave up around 53% because nothing truly was happening to make the book exciting. I want the author to come back to this and rewrite the whole thing and flesh out her world. I want the characters to become developed, I want to feel how much Lana hated school and to show the struggle. I want to ...more
Jasmine
It's a great read BUT things to keep in mind...

-Very cheesy, author's first novel
-Very romantic
-No dramatic action scenes
-None of the good characters died, only the villains
-Overall reads like a children's book
-Took me two months to read, because I got bored around 57% and needed a break
-Now that I have read it and know what to expect I would re-read this again, because I like cheesy stories every once in a while lol

Recommend: If you want a light, fluff read

Don't recommend: If you want say som
Rachel Moore
Hard to follow

I'm not one to usually leave a low or bad review but the way the book was written was hard to follow. I will admit the story was interesting though. I have to agree with some of the reviews that the romance is pretty cheesy. it jumps a lot, the descriptions of their surroundings are good, I found it very predictable and the grammar makes it very difficult to follow. but I did finish the book and will say it ends on a good note but I really had a hard time sticking it out until the
April
Aug 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
DNF.

This book is one that I may, eventually, finish completely, since the storyline is interesting. My issue with it is how utterly terrible the spelling and grammar and formatting are. I am somewhat of a grammar Nazi and I expect authors to at least be able to distinguish between "you're" and "your," and "their/they're/there," etc.

I tried to read this, I really did. But for now, at least, the horrible lack of editing - or good editing, anyway - made me have to put this book down.
Abigail
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mermaids, fantasy
Wasn't sure what I was expecting with this book but I definately didn't expect to read this in only a few hours. The author may be new at writing but she is still very talented author. This is a story of a young girl with a mysterious past and a lonely existence. Through a series of events that starts with her learning how to swim, she discovers her past and a part of herself she was unaware of. Highly recommended.
Kristina
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
UGH

This book did start off promising but it got pretty cheesy about half way through. I mean two people finding true love is great and all but geez! The lovely dovey soul mate stuff got really old really fast.
Kimchi
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lana wants to be like everyone els but the problem is she isnt. Born with web feet and fingers she is searching for her purpose her place in the world when her teacher decides to teach her how to swim.
Maari
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
it was a very sweet book
Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick)
If Ebony Darkness Raven Dementia Way was a mermaid, this would be her story.
Bridget
Jul 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One star is almost too generous. Good idea but not executed well.
Donna
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was hard to read for me. However, I am still giving it 4 stars becasue the story was very good.
Sira
May 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Sira by: no one
Leilani
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading different trypes of style reading there is. I've always wanted to read a mermaid story, having the first I read disturbe me and not finishing it I was skeptical to read this book. I am really glad that I did. I loved all the characters and how the story was told including all of their progression not just with the main characters. You get a better understanding of what they are and how they are doing. Most would find this to be a long read, that's what I liked about the book the ...more
david scott morris
Legend of the racist mermaids and a merwalker amongst them.

Was pretty good until I realized the husband captain of the mermaid guards was calling all black mermaid leaders the name of a merrman he knew that I think was already dead. And it seemed like the mermaid tribes were just competing for resources and it wasn't about a moral issue or some black merman who the guard cap knew. Otherwise, good storytelling.
Cheyenne
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved it!!! my book cover is different than this one.
Vannessa Harp
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so much!! No matter how many times that you read this book it will always keep you on the edge of your seat!!
Pamela Kennedy stevens
A lot happens in this book. Its a great story in itself, I am not used to reading in story mode anymore so it was a little hard to connect with the characters.
Kathryn Knapp
Good

Great concept but some words were just over used. I would have liked it to be less dry. Good story though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath (Real Mermaids, #2)
  • Awaiting Destiny
  • Breverton's Phantasmagoria: A Compendium of Monsters, Myths and Legends
  • Evergreen (Mer Tales, #2)
  • Finned (The Merworld Water Wars, #1)
  • The Secret History of Mermaids and Creatures of the Deep
  • The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons
  • The Undrowned Child (The Undrowned Child, #1)
  • Dragons in Our Midst: The Complete Series (Dragons in Our Midst, #1-4)
  • Valefar Vol. 2: Demon Kissed Novella (Demon Kissed)
  • Deep Waters
  • Ocean's Gift (Ocean's Gift, #1)
  • Water Shaper
  • Stopping Time and Old Habits (Wicked Lovely #2.5-.6)
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • Falcon Quinn and the Crimson Vapor (Falcon Quinn, #2)
  • The Knight of the Rose (Dark Secrets, #1.2)
  • Tidal Whispers
4452099
Author of Legend of the Mer, Legend of the Mer II The New Guardian. Legend of the Mer III Song of Sirens and The Hart of Telendaria An Elven Love Story. Currently writing Legend of the Mer IV.
More about Sheri L. Swift...

Legend of the Mer (2 books)
  • The New Guardian (Legend of the Mer, #2)