Start by marking “Hot and Steamy: Tales of Steampunk Romance” as Want to Read:
Hot and Steamy: Tales of Steampunk Romance

Hot and Steamy: Tales of Steampunk Romance

From the co-editor of Steampunk'd comes an all-new collection of adventure and romance amid Victorian steampunk settings. Sparks fly in these original stories of a steam-driven airship searching for a lost city, a crazy inventor in a powered wheelchair with a plot to take over the world, and a love story set in an alternate history version of America. Adventure abounds in ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 305 pages
Published June 2011 by DAW Books Inc

To ask other readers questions about Hot and Steamy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot and Steamy

Start your review of Hot and Steamy: Tales of Steampunk Romance
Marcus
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
After the bad experience with Carnal Machines I was a bit weary of another collection with possibly erotic content. Then I thought I should not let one such experience detract me. After all, a sample size of one is not really statistically valid and so I got myself a copy of Hot and Steamy: Tales of Steampunk Romance, and looking back now, it was the right decision. There was a good omen right at the beginning: The first tale, Chance Corrigan and the Queen of Hearts, is by none other than Michae ...more
Sara
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: steampunk, anthology
I love steampunk, and I admire a really well-done romance. Sadly, of the 16 stories in this anthology, I felt that only three of them were really worth reading: "Clockworks," by Jody Lynn Nye, "Love Comes to Abyssal City," by Tobias Buckell, and "Dashed Hopes," by Donald Bingle. And even these stories could have used some tightening; the steampunk elements were all there, but characterization and interaction needed some work. Some of the stories were completely unreadable, either because of slop ...more
Eclectic Reader
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Combine short stories with steampunk and you have two of my favorite pastimes. Add a dash of romance and even this cynical 40-something is along for the ride.

Editors Jean Rabe and Martin H. Greenberg have assembled a satisfying tome worthy of any enthusiast of steampunk or romance. As with any anthology, there are winners and some not-so-winners, but none that I would call losers. That alone says a lot for this book.

Because Hot & Steamy touts itself as both 'steampunky' and 'romancy' I've give
Amanda
This anthology did not live up to its promising premise. Only a couple of the stories were really engaging and I think this was for two reasons. First, I didn't really find any of the relationships depicted in the collection believable. Perhaps that is the fault of the format since a short story doesn't provide a lot of time to establish romantic relationships between characters. Regardless, a believable romantic relationship is necessary for a "romance anthology" to work. Second, the fault coul ...more
Dorothy Emry
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I picked this one up because I wanted to see what steampunk romance was all about (and I got it for a good price during the Borders closing sale). It gave me enough to make me want to read more steampunk, but damned if I can call up any clear memory of the stories I read.
Stephanie Storfer
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked it. There were definitely some well thought out stories that would have made for great books, but in a collection, not all are equal. If you like steampunk and don't mind romance, you'll probably enjoy this. Very easy to pick up and put down as needed. Even better? Not every story was filled with automatons and goggles.
Ninjamechanic
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Neither hot nor particularly steampunky, this collection of stories seemed comprised of stories that had only the vaguest trappings of the steampunk aesthetic. Similarly, most of the romances lacked chemistry between the intended protagonists.
Charles
Stuff I Read – Hot and Steamy Review

For a while now I’ve been looking for some good steampunk stories to get into, because I like the idea and the look and am interested in seeing some actual written works so I can gauge whether or not I would ever really want to write it. That more than anything else is the reason that I read some genres. So while looking through the bookstore I came across this collection, which is a bunch of steampunk stories all with a romantic twist. Now romance isn’t exact
Timothy Tobolski
Jul 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I regularly express my love for anthologies; there's no better way to sample either a smattering of stories based upon a theme you may not be familiar with or enjoy a variety of authors you've never read before. And I confess that I've taken a recent shine to the sci-fi sub-genre of Steampunk, that melding of Victorian values with technology inspired by Wells and Verne and powered by steam.

However, romance is hardly my chosen topic of fiction. So I naturally avoided this book for a few weeks, on
Cornelia
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This anthology of short tales of adventure and romance includes an Egyptian Steampunk story, Absinthe-Minded Archaeologist by Vicki Johnson-Steger. A lovable archaeologist, who made an amazing find, keeps running into a lovely woman. But she turns out to be an assassin gunning for him.

In Love Comes To Abyssal City by Tobias S. Buckell, a women defies convention and the law by following her heart and running away with a travelling man.

In For The Love Of Byron by Mickey Zucker, a man and a woman
Dharia Scarab
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is misnamed in my opinion. Hot & Steamy makes it sound like a bodice ripper, but the stories were definitely PG. Plus some of these stories weren't romances at all. In others the romance felt dropped in at the end just to get in this collection.

That being said most of the stories themselves were good. A few felt too short, like a chapter cut from a longer book.

Josh Welch
May 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I reviewed this book before it was publsihed, here is my review:

Flamingnet Student Book Reviewer JWel1111
Hot and Steamy is a book full of little stories, all of steampunk romance. All of the stories take place in the Victorian era. All of the stories are love stories. Of course, what else did you expect? But, there is more than just love in these stories, there are intrigue, danger, pyrotechnics, and plenty of gadgets. The stories have varying settings and plots.

My personal opinion, on this boo
Carena Wood beimler
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was really not that impressive. I like at least 50% of the stories to be interesting, and there was really only one.
Also, it was neither Hot nor Steamy nor was it really romance based. It was random connection based. Only two stories seemed like they could be actual romance, and one of them was the one good story. Also, it was romance in the time of tragedy. Another story that seemed like Romance was Romeo/Juliet style romance, that is to say, mis communication ending in death, but throw t
Clarissa
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is several short stories that are unrelated put into one book. I was hoping to love it as I have a large interest in the Steampunk world as well as romance. I read the first two shorts and was left bored with them they lacked romance and excitement. In the first they make several references to a past encounter that the reader has no clue what occurred, the stories are to short to enjoy the characters or even learn enough about them to enjoy it. I normally refuse to give up on a book bu ...more
Sara
Jul 08, 2011 rated it liked it
I'll tell you, I'm not a romance reader, but steampunk is so interesting that this one sucked me in. Plus, short stories = short bursts of vomit-inducing romance. I'm not being fair. Well, kind of. I wasn't super impressed. The first story was good, 4 stars, and then we didn't get another good one until almost 100 pages in. The ones in the middle of the two were, well, middling. I'm not inclined to finish it out, not under pressure, anyway. Maybe someday when I forget to bring a book to work I'l ...more
Catherine
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Received as a gift earlier this year. This is not a particularly strong collection, particularly if you're looking for romantic short fiction. I liked the steampunk elements and the alternate historical elements, which were definitely the highlights of this book for me. Most of the stories felt unfinished and rushed, and in several cases, made little or no sense. One even changed airship names during the course of a 12 page short story. I did enjoy the stories by Jody Lynn Nye, Tobias Buckell an ...more
Moria
Nov 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
The huge majority of stories here are just terrible. Overall these are neither steampunk nor romances. In fact they're not well written at all. You can't just throw an automaton into one story or an airship into another & call it steampunk. Only one of the stories I read had an actual well thought out alternate world. I only got about 60% finished before I had to stop - the stories were that bad. Purely a marketing ploy to capitalize on the steampunk trend. ...more
Jens Kuhn
May 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am rating this book quite low not because the stories in this anthology aren't good, some of them are very good, one even excellent, but because of the label "hot and steamy". There's some romance but definitely no flying sparks. Some of the stories are cute love stories but there's nothing steamy happening so I do think the title and what's suggested in the blurb is not what is delivered.
Rename it "Twisted Steampunk tales" and I'd rate it better. ;)
Allison
Jun 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Wasn't impressed from the very beginning... See mid-book update.

I suspect I'm also not a fan of short fiction romance -- they get together or whatever, and I'm like "BUT YOU HARDLY KNOW EACH OTHER YOU GUYS IS THIS REALLY WISE." It was easier, I think, with the collection of dystopian romance I read since the stressful settings forced the characters together more than some of the more relaxed (zombieless, breathable atmosphere, etc.) settings in this book.
A.D. Grey
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading short stories, and steampunk has become one of my favorite 'genres'?
While normally I wouldn't be caught dead reading a romance novel, the stories in this collection weren't over the top, or flowery.

Surprisingly, there were a lot of bittersweet endings. Not quite what I expected, but was definietly a good thing.
Tim Hicks
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Overall, this is unmemorable but reasonably enjoyable. Legitimately steampunk as advertised. A good book to go between biggies and cleanse the palate. As others have said, some stories are better than others, but that's to be expected in an anthology, and people generally won't agree on which were the good ones anyway.
Diane
May 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mature-reads
I picked this up from the library bookstore because of the steampunk element. I'm not a short-story fan. These stories are heavy on the steampunk, light on the romance, which is fine. I'm interested in the imaginative devices and worlds. Some of these stories are very interesting; some have that 'thrown-together' feel of many short stories.
Captain Jacq
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
If you're looking for a steamy, romance novel, this isn't it. The title is very misleading. I found multiple typos, and some of the stories were not very well written. The romance in some stories was very underplayed and there are no "steamy" scenes. The steampunk aspects were interesting, but no worth the time. It was mildly entertaining, but I struggled to finish it. Not recommended.
Cissa
Oct 01, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a really mixed bag- about half the stories were at least competently written- and the other half were NOT.

The good ones were entertaining. The others were really, really tedious.

Also- none of the stories were especially "hot" in the erotica sense. Mostly, everyone was chaste.
Kay
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I bought this book hoping that it would lead me to new authors who could combine workable romance with science fiction-ish story lines. The quality of the individual stories varied widely, and I sadly don't feel the need to rush out and buy something else from any contributor.
Cheryl
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
(I make no bones about what I'm about to read. I needed something *ahem* lighter....and besides you can blame my husband. He was the one who said I should read it.)

Well, that did not take much thought at all..
Norman Howe
May 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk
This anthology consists of sixteen tales of anachronistic technology and throbbing hearts. There are labyrinthine plots"," monsters from beyond"," card sharps"," robots"," death rays"," and time machines. Although this is not one of my favorite genres"," there are some good stories in here.
Matt Forbeck
May 06, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
I have a story in this called "In the Belly of the Behemoth."
Christine Verstraete
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
Includes my story, Kinetic Dreams, a continuation of the story of Alva Edison and her famous brother, Thomas. Alva's marriage, and family, may be in danger as she faces a threat from the past...
Ral
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hot read , good read!

• The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1
  • Alias, Vol. 4: The Secret Origins of Jessica Jones
  • Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4)
  • ElectroMagnetic, Episode 1
  • Hades' Daughter (The Troy Game, #1)
  • Shadow Moon (Chronicles of the Shadow War, #1)
  • The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities
  • Cut and Run
  • Wolf Moon Security: Complete 5-Part Series
  • Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident (Parasol Protectorate, #0)
  • Wicked Pleasure (Bound Hearts, #9)
  • Forbidden Pleasure (Bound Hearts, #8)
  • Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
When I am not writing, I toss tennis balls to my cadre of dogs. My house is filled with books and dogs, you can smell both when you walk in the front door. It's a good smell.

I have 36 published novels and am currently writing in the mystery genre. My latest mystery, The Dead of Winter, was a finalist for the Claymore Award and is the first in the Piper Blackwell series.

I live in a tiny town in the

News & Interviews