Start by marking “Skeleton Crew (Underworld Cycle, #2)” as Want to Read:
Skeleton Crew (Underworld Cycle, #2)

Skeleton Crew (Underworld Cycle #2)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  211 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Bodies are hitting the pavement in L.A. like they always do, but this time they're getting right back up, death be damned. My mobbed-up outfit of magicians may be the strongest in the city, but even they aren't immune to the living dead.

And I've yet to develop a resistance to Adan Rashan.

If I don't team up with the boss's son, we won't just be at each other's throats over
Paperback, 1st Edition, 320 pages
Published April 19th 2011 by Luna (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Skeleton Crew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skeleton Crew

Melliane
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I read the first volume a long time ago and I really enjoyed it. I must say that Domino doesn’t have an easy life. I was immediately attracted this time by the synopsis featuring zombies. We do not expect it at all after finishing the first novel. But what a nice surprise! I have not read a lot of novels about zombies but it was a good opportunity to read this one.

Domino will not have the time to get bored in this new volume. Indeed, in addition to her is re
Kt
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Domino Riley is practically the top dog in her outfit as her mobster boss has handed almost all of the reigns over to her. While this may have been her life's admiration, it means the buck stops with her and she is responsible for anything that could go wrong. So when zombies start showing up and "reproducing" like crazy, she knows she's in trouble, but that it is up to her to get to the bottom of things. Of course the distraction of her attraction to her boss's son Adan, doesn't help things. Sh ...more
Sharon
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a dark, gritty hard core Urban Fantasy. The world and characters take center stage. Most of the UF I read is heavy on the romance, but this one isn’t. There is a little bit of romance, but I didn’t miss it because I was having so much fun watching Domino and company kick demon and zombie (oh, yes, folks, there are zombies!) ass.

I haven’t read the first book in the series (Mob Rules) and I think you should before reading this book. I was still able to enjoy Skeleton Crew, but information
Scooper Speaks
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Favorite Lines: “Everyone has an irrational fear. For some people it’s spiders, for others it’s snakes, or maybe clowns. I have a big fucking problem with zombies. I can deal with ghosts–even the really creepy ones. Hell, I share my condo with a spook, an old woman named Mrs. Dawson. I can also deal with dead bodies–as long as they stay down. If they get up and try to eat me, that’s just too fucking much.” (p. 15)

Skeleton Crew is book two in Cameron Haley’s Underworld Cycle series. If you haven’
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Dec 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was thrilled to get my hands on Skeleton Crew, as I thought Mob Rules was terrific and right from the opening scenes we are thrown straight back into the maelstrom of violence and magic that is LA in this alternate world. The uneasy peace Domino brokered is threatened by a greedy gang headed by Mobley who has unleashed Demons in a quest for more power and unintentionally triggered a plague of zombies that threaten to destroy the entire city. Domino needs to figure out what is causing the dead ...more
Kelly
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
While I ultimately found this to be an entertaining and highly imaginative read, I had a tough time falling into the mythology of the story in the beginning. Not having read the first book, it was a struggle deciphering the lingo and figuring out the rules of the world. Once things started falling into place, however, it was a hoot.

I really liked the grittiness of the world that Domino and her crew live in. It's not pretty and there's death around nearly every corner but it has definite characte
cecilia
May 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knees-covers
I picked SKELETON CREW up without realizing zombies played a HUGE role in this sequel to MOB RULES. I know, it's in the summary - but I didn't read it at all since I was already interested in seeing how things played out for Domino. A leap of faith, really, considering my lukewarm reactions to the 1st book.

Is there anything that zombies can't make gold? Actually, I can think of a few reads that didn't work out, but SKELETON CREW really really blew my mind away. In a good way. In the good rock-my
Beth Dawkins
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Zombies have over taken L.A. and it is up to Domino, and the gangs of L.A. to save the city.

Skeleton Crew is a dark UF. It is the second book in the series. I haven’t read the first. It stands apart from every other Urban Fantasy by having a very unique magic system. Magic is pulled out of the earth, or streets themselves. Gang tags seem to help give members more magic power as well as claim territory. A number of strange and mythic figures make appearances. Some of the mythic figures like the B
Yla Delarosa
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I started turning the pages of this book, at first I was a little lost with all this magic lingo, all this juice and outfits and world rules, and then Domino's thing with Adan - who by the way I find mysteriously charming. But slowly yet surely, as soon as I got the hang of it, I began to be drawn to this very exciting world of magic, demons, fairies, and yeah - zombies. Now Zombies here are different - yes they still want to eat people, but they can still think and act normal. Often times ...more
Stephanie  G
May 07, 2011 rated it liked it

Reed
Jul 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Riley Quinn
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the second book of the Domino Riley series by Cameron Haley. While it is a stand-alone novel, you’ll get more enjoyment and have less confusion if you read the first book before tackling this one.
Ms. Haley’s writing style is engaging and easy to read. The action kept the story moving, although at times it felt like a little too much. A breather here and there for the reader (and her characters) would have been appreciated.

The book is written in first person in Domino Riley’s point of vie
The Haunted Reading Room Lifetime Lovecraft
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to The Haunted Reading Room by: Hearts on Fire Reviews
Shelves: may-2012-reads

Review: “Skeleton Crew” is a rip-roaring, uproarious, non-stop monster/zombie/underworld/between-world/magic story that never ever takes a break, barely stops to breathe. Sequel to the popular “Mob Rules,” “Skeleton Crew” is set in a magical Los Angeles where all that glitters may actually be faery glamour, where witches can be sorcerers (as is our protagonist), not just Wiccan-and where nobody is really surprised if dead gangstas reanimate. Well, not too surprised, and not too happy either. Dom
Paradoxical
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I did the first, which is good because the first one was a bit of a chore to get through. Skeleton Crew was, for some reason, much easier for me to digest. I do think this is because a good portion of the world building was pushed out the way by the first book, freeing up the author a bit to be able to play more in the universe that he created.

It's still a fairly messy book though. Domino is thrown into a lot of crazy situations and she just sort of rolls with
Stacy
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
reviewed by http://urbanfantasyinvestigations.blo...

I was much happier with the pacing in SKELETON CREW. Things happened quicker and the slow parts were few and far apart. Domino is her kick butt, snarky, smart ass self. She continues to see what her juice can do to protect her and the things she feels need protecting. Her allies and friends are at her back as they fight to figure out why everyone who dies turns into zombies. Some friends and allies are lost. There is tons of action spaced throu
Sam
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have been notified that I won this book. Since it is the second in a series I ordered the first one which should be in today. Can't wait to read it. Will update this when I am through reading both books. I just love getting free books to read.

Skeleton Crew is a dark action packed story about Zombies in L.A. and it's up to Domino Riley to stop them. This is the second book in the series and if you haven't read the first one then let me tell you that magic is pulled from the streets, and you ha
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uf
Whew - there was a ton of action in this one. Also lots of time in Between (ghostly limbo/alternate LA). There's zombies, but done differently than the current plague scenario that you usually see.

Fae, Formorii, sorcerers, the mob, government spooks, demons - there are a lot of characters at play, but I wasn't overwhelmed by having too many new faces to remember.

A little romance (and the ending had me going for a bit), but I thought it was done well.

We get to see a bit of Domino's vulnerability,
Unwisely
The continuing adventures of our heroine. My library didn't have this in physical form, so I was forced to read it electronically. I'm trying not to hold that against the book, but it's a little tough. (I tried this on my smartphone, since i didn't like the time I did it on the ipad. I still didn't like it. Apparently that medium is not for me. Paper, please!)

Anyway. More interesting things, with a nice Mexican spin. There were more fairies, some more with the love interest (but none of it distr
Donald Armfield
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, own
Book two of the underworld cycle. After reading book one where Domino Riley a sorcerer is in search of her deceased best friend. Finding out he was killed she uses her "juice" to seek revenge. Her home town Compton, L.A. and the graffiti left by taggers from her outfit gives her the power for her magic.
Now in book two Domino wakes up each Morning and finding more and more zombies appearing in her neighborhood. Magic does not work so well on zombies so she channels into the underworld once again
Merrian
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a B- read

I liked Haley's take on the zombie apocalypse and this is the first book in a while that makes sensible and funny use of modern social media e.g. zombies who flash mob organise using twitter. This book also builds on and escalates the collision between the emergence of magic and parallel worlds bleeding people and bad guys into our world revealed in Mob Rules. The world building and humour are smart and seamlessly used to make things happen.

Domino is Hispanic/Irish and her cultu
Keziah
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-edit
I really do like the world building Haley has done here. The way magic and gangsters are so cleverly interwoven has such a huge influence on my enjoyment of this series. That isn't to say that the characters and the writing aren't enjoyable, its just that I love finding a contemporary fantasy series set in an original imagining of the world.
Joe Jones
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is book 2 in the Underworld Cycle. As if being the war chief and a sorcerer in the strongest outfit in L.A. was not enough, now Domino has to deal with the threat of a zombie apocalypse. Cameron Haley continues to develop and interesting take on the Urban Fantasy genre. Fans should start with book 1 Mob Rules though to fully understand what is going on.
Harlequin Books
series: Underworld Cycle #2

"The second book in the Underworld Cycle is even better than the first. Once again, Haley mixes one tough heroine, multidimensional allies, worthy adversaries and enough action and humor to make this one hell of a page-turner. Fans of feisty, snarky female protagonists will absolutely love this book." RT Book Review rated 4 1/2 stars
Mihir
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it

Better than its predecessor. SC is a much smoother ride and it also adds to the world settings of the book. Domino as a protagonist is fun to read however honey gets a diminished role, more to come in FBC review.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Pretty good - interesting heroine. She seems so good, it's easy to forget she's actually in a mob/gang. But I love her brand of magic - will definitely be needing to check out the first book in this series. Will be reviewed on Romance Reviews Today on or around 5/20/11.
Valerie
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
A good, urban fantasy in the tradition of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton. A stand-alone title, even though this is part of a series - you won't be too lost if you don't read the first one. Lots of zombies, demons, fairies, and creatures - really liked it.
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
This second book in the Underworld Cycle series is a hit. A fascinating world, strong characters, fast-paced, well-written...you can't get much better than that. Looking forward to the next installment.
Kalisha
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love, love looove Adan, Jack and Anton! My favorite book of the series so far.

And despite the fact that Adan went, I kind of understood why he did it. He needs to find his place. He's always been an outsider.

Looking forward to reading "Dead Drop"
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Mallory
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Horror
Rated: 4 Stars
Check out the review at: http://heartsonfirereviews.com
Ttwu
Nov 03, 2014 marked it as to-read
Really didn't like this one. She was an irritating, smart azz, know it all....couldn't take her attitude. no stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Let's Play White
  • Shadow Fall (Shadowchasers, #3)
  • Dead Matter (Simon Canderous, #3)
  • Shotgun Sorceress (Jessie Shimmer, #2)
  • Attack the Geek (Ree Reyes, #2.5)
  • Master and Apprentice (Gavyn Donatti, #2)
  • Forbid the Sea (October Daye, #7.2)
  • Right Hand Magic (Golgotham, #1)
  • Stalking The Unicorn (John Justin Mallory Mystery, #1)
  • Spirit Dances (Walker Papers, #6)
  • The Asylum Interviews: Trixie (The Asylum Tales, #0.6)
  • Games Creatures Play
  • Beyond the Rain (Realms Beyond, #1)
  • Entangled
  • Midnight Taxi Tango (Bone Street Rumba, #2)
  • Guide to the Crystal Gems (Steven Universe)
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5)
  • Knight's Curse (Knight's Curse #1)

Underworld Cycle (3 books)
  • Mob Rules (Underworld Cycle, #1)
  • Dead Drop (Underworld Cycle, #3)

“We all make a lot of choices in life. Most of the time we can't see with perfect clarity where those choices will lead. It's only with hindsight that we can look back and judge the wisdom-or lack thereof-of the decisions we made. We choose that path less taken and when we find ourselves all alone in the middle of the woods at night, only then do we ask, "What the fuck was I thinking?” 10 likes
“I do have a head, as I am at present manifest in the physical world, and indeed you demonstrate that my head possesses within it far more productive material than does yours.

That was a hell of a sentence, Mr. Clean. You might need to diagram that motherfucker for me.”
5 likes