Start by marking “Little Red Riding Hood” as Want to Read:
Little Red Riding Hood

Little Red Riding Hood

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  19,821 Ratings  ·  534 Reviews
She sets off through the forest to visit her grandmother in this classic edition.
Paperback
Published February 1st 1988 by Story Time Assoc (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Little Red Riding Hood, please sign up.

Audrey Roberts you might be able to listen to an audiobook or a telling of the story on youtube.

Lisa Vegan
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers & listeners who enjoy this fairy tale: this is the version to read!
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
Where do I start?

With the bad: I was most disturbed by Hansel and Gretel as a child, but I was disturbed by many, many fairy tales, and Little Red Riding Hood was one of them. I felt anxiety as I was reading this, even as an adult. I object to wolves always being depicted as bad and evil and villainous. I just don’t like this story very much.

However, the good: Trina Schart Hyman is a genius; this is a wonderful retelling. And the illustrations are amazing: they’re gorgeously colorful, lush, exq
Merphy Napier
This one was not one of my favorites. I honestly thought it was more goofy than anything. Was hoping for something with a bit more to it than this - and it was the most heavy handed Grimm tail that I've read so far
Manybooks
The Brothers Grimm's Little Red Riding Hood, or Rotkäppchen, in the original German, has never been amongst my favourites. Even as a child, I did not tend to enjoy the proverbial big-bad-wolf type of fairy or folk tale all that much (and while as an adult, I do realise that the wolf is likely to be interpreted as more of a symbol for a predatory and dangerous human stranger, it is also my opinion that the generally negative attitude in European culture and folklore towards wolves in particular h ...more
Kathryn
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra, thank you!
Red Riding Hood has never been one of my favorite tales, but TSH's retelling is nice enough. It's the illustrations, though, that make this book a stand-out! They are absolutely gorgeous--so full of lovely details (the border art is such a nice touch! And I love that TSH put kitty cats into every scene she could manage!) The wolf looks so cute and friendly at first you don't blame Red Riding Hood for being nice to him--I almost wanted to pet him! But, his transformation... scary!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I love this version, principally because of Trina Schart Hyman's wonderful illustrations. She spent several years in Europe, which is why her artwork has that feel to it, which makes it perfect for this fairy tale. I can't believe that this book has been challenged in some places because of the bottle of wine in her basket. In Europe it's normal for people to drink wine. Just because she has it in her basket, doesn't mean she's drinking it. So ridiculous! I'm glad it was a Caldecott honor book.
Agne
Although there is nothing special about the text of this "faithful retelling of the Grimms' version" of the traditional fairy tale, Trina Schart Hyman's detailed, lush illustrations are simply breathtaking...

...with a touch of self-referentiality:
Wealhtheow
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this as a child, and in fact loved it so much that even know that I'm an adult I have a copy. The writing is probably good, but what I remember about this book (and what has me returning to it again and again) are Hyman's inimitable illustrations. The delicate lines, twisty trees, and beautiful colors are perfect for this fairy tale.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I can't believe that someone would ban/challenge this book just because Trina Schart Hyman depicted a bottle of wine in Red's basket. I love Trina's European-influenced style. If only I could draw like that...
Lissett Silva Ordosgoitti
“—¡Ay, abuelita! ¡Qué orejas más grandes tienes!
—Así te oigo mejor.
—¡Ay, abuelita, vaya manos tan grandes que tienes!
—Así puedo cogerte mejor.
—¡Pero, abuelita! ¡Qué boca más terriblemente grande!
—¡Es para tragarte mejor!”

L12_sarah
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: traditional-lit
The illustrations in this book--done by author Trina Schart Hyman--are wonderful! Hyman gives great expression to the faces of all of the humans in the story and does a particularly good job depicting the innocence and awkwardness of Little Red. The text borders have a quilt-like quality and pair nicely with the muted coloring that recalls the look of a storybook that has been around for generations and has aged from years of loving use. It is obvious why this book won the Caldecott Medal!

The st
Linda
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story, first published by the brothers Grimm in 1812, has always fascinated me. It is very scary and thrilling, and fortunately it ends well. In the original, by Charles Perrault, in 1697, the girl dies. It was probably meant to be a message to girls to not talk to strangers, and to avoid men's violence. I have heard that the original has some sexual undertones which suggest that the girl was raped and murdered. However, in the story by the brothers Grimm, there are no such elements.

The stor
Robert
**** Caldecott Honor (1984) ****

Splendid illustrations, full of lush detail and colorful composition. An excellent edition of the classic tale.
Huawei
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summarize: Elisabeth is a little girl, and everyone called her Little Red Riding Hood because she wears red hooded cape. One day, she takes the food and drink to her grandmother’s house. In the woods, a hungry old wolf see her, and ask where she is going. She tells him. Then the wolf suggests that the girl pick some flowers, which she does. At same time, the wolf goes to her grandmother’s house and gains entry by pretending to be the girl. How do Elisabeth and her grandmother solve the crisis?

My
Janet
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book only because it was on the 17 of America's most surprising banned books list.
I thought it was rather gruesome. The reason it is on the banned list is because of the wine in the story. Lol
Janet Coba
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a classic, and many people know how this story goes. Little red ridding hood goes into the woods to go meet her grandmother at her house. When she gets there something seems strange with her grandmother. As the story goes on it's revealed that her grandmother if the wolf that has been following her through the woods.
I really love this book and read it to my kids often. I relate to this book when I teach my kids about stranger danger. I explain to them people are like the wolf who w
Gabriela Alvarez
This classic book was recommended by my local library.

Little Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart Hyman is a Caldecott Honor Book, and is a classic story about the little girl who wore a red-hooded cloak made by her grandmother, who loved her dearly. In this book, this little girl's name is Elisabeth, and one day she sets off to visit her grandmother who is sick, to take her some bread, butter, and a bottle of wine. Of course her mother reminds her to keep her manners, and to be careful not to run,
Kristen
Little Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart Hyman follows the traditional fairy tale originally told by The Brothers Grimm. Little Red Riding Hood sets off through the forest to visit her grandmother in this classic edition. Hyman is also the illustrator for this book and she has done a wonderful job. The colors are rich and each image is outlined in black. Her illustrations are able to add to the story with minimal violence, which I feel is very important when illustrating a children's book. A Calde ...more
Melanie Fernandez
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: traditional-lit
This IS, as I am told, more of the traditional version of Little Red Riding Hood. However, as I am reading it, I realize this was NOT the story I had read to me as a child! I thought that was the version I knew but I was clearly mistaken. SPOILER...First off, Little Red Riding Hood is named Elisabeth and her mother sends her off to see her grandmother, stressing that she should not run to her house as to not break the bottle of wine she was bringing her. It was also stressed to use good manners ...more
L11-Mary Utterback
I chose to read this version of Little Red Riding Hood last. I wanted to read other renditions before I read the more traditional version. Let me start by saying that the illustrations set the perfect tone for the story. They were not too bright and set a more solemn mood. You could almost picture an overcast morning with dew resting on the leaves in the forest. I also liked the way the author presented the wolf as a normal wolf and not some supernatural being.

With that said I found the story t
Laura Watson
Summarize the book:
This is the classic tale of Little Red Riding Hood. She sets out to bring her sick grandma some cake and medicine to her. On the way she tells a wolf where she is going. He races to get there first and eats the grandma. Then when Little Red comes he eats her too. Then a hunter goes to the grandmother’s house and finds the wolf asleep. He cuts him open and rescues grandma and Little Red. Then he sews up the wolf with rocks in him and he dies.

Identify the characteristics from t
Leah
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well-deserved winner of the Caldecott Honor in 1984. LRRH has a name, Elisabeth, in this faithful retelling of a Grimms' version. I loved that LRRH's cat followed her on her journey, and on the page where the old huntsman arrived at the cottage (because of the loud snoring), LRRH's cat is shown at the huntsman's feet, meowing at him, as if telling the huntsman to hurry, that Grandmother and Elisabeth have just been eaten. The huntsman cuts the wolf open, then, after the ladies escape the wolf' ...more
Ch_13catherinecooper
This is the classic version of Little Red Riding Hood. As the story goes, Red is given the task of taking treats to her sick grandmother and must she must travel through the forest to arrive at her grandmothers home. Along the way she meets a wolf that is motivated to Red and her grandmother. While some versions of this tale end with the wolf spitting out the two, this version ends with the wolf getting slaughtered by a huntsman who rescues the two women. This ending of the tale may be too graph ...more
Niamh Ryan
Yet another classic tale that I read and think would be a strong addition to any classroom of appropriate age. This particular edition differs from any other book I have read because of the excellent imagery the author uses. A young girl better known as Little Red Riding Hood sets out through a forest to visit her Grandmother. On her way there she is approached by a Wolf. She naively tells him where she is headed and he is hoping to eat her. When she arrives at her Grandmothers house she notices ...more
Ch_jank-caporale
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: traditional-lit
This is a classic retelling of the Grimm version by author/illustrator Trina Schart Hyman. She won a Caldecott Honor Medal for the beautiful illustrations and lovely borders used to frame the text. In the Grimm version, both Grandma and R.R.H. are swallowed whole by the wolf. They are rescued by a passing woodsman who kills the wolf and frees the women after he hears the wolf snoring loudly from Granny's bed. (The wolf is recouperating from his HUGE meal!)

Aside from the lovely illustrations, Hy
(NS) Heatherk
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: traditional-lit
This was my favorite edition to this popular tale. The tale was originally written by the Brothers Grimm, but in this version the tale is retold and illustrated by Hyman. Hyman does a fantastic job in bringing her words to life with the illustrations. This version also is a Caldecott winner.

The text is lengthy as the readers better understand Elisabeth, the Red Riding Hood in the story. Elisabeth develops throughout the story, so character traits would be an excellent element to discuss. With t
SamZ
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: caldecott
1984 Caldecott Honor - Favorite Illustration: When Red is telling the wolf all about her grandmother, her face is so cute and matter-of-fact and the wolf has a sly look of camraderie on his face - so descriptive and fun!
This retelling is a bit wordy but does a beautiful job of telling the story of Red Riding Hood. Hyman's illustrations are beautiful and full of so many details (the mice and spiderweb among the mushrooms; or the little kittens playing on the cottage floor) that just enhance the s
Jenny
This retelling is based on the Brothers Grimm's tale. The illustrations are detailed and lovely. Each page of text has borders that add further detail to the story events. Trina Schart Hyman conveys depth and emotion through facial expressions and small details in each illustration. I particularly like the illustration of Little Red cautiously entering her grandmother's cottage holding an unwieldy armful of flowers.
Dolly

This book was selected as one of the books for the May 2016- Caldecott Honors discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Carolynne
My favorite version of Little Red Riding Hood.
Karly Kirkpatrick
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears
  • Puss in Boots
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • Cinderella
  • The Frog Prince (We Both Read - Level 1-2)
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • The Elves and the Shoemaker
  • The Boy of the Three-Year Nap
  • The Princess and the Pea
  • Snow White
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • My Mother is the Most Beautiful Woman in the World
  • Rapunzel
Trina Schart Hyman (April 8, 1939 – November 19, 2004) was an American illustrator of children's books. She illustrated over 150 books, including fairy tales and Arthurian legends.

She won the 1985 Caldecott Medal for U.S. picture book illustration, recognizing Saint George and the Dragon, retold by Margaret Hodges.
More about Trina Schart Hyman...