Start by marking “Right Hand Magic (Golgotham #1)” as Want to Read:
Right Hand Magic (Golgotham #1)

Right Hand Magic (Golgotham #1)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  1,379 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
Like most Manhattanites, aspiring artist Tate can't resist a good rental deal-even if it's in the city's strangest neighborhood, Golgotham, where for centuries werewolves, centaurs, and countless other creatures have roamed the streets.

Her new landlord is a sorcerer name Hexe, who is determined to build his reputation without using dark, left-hand magic. As Tate is drawn i
ebook, 1st Edition, 304 pages
Published December 1st 2010 by Roc (first published October 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Right Hand Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Right Hand Magic

Catherine
Once again I have encountered a book that I just cannot work up the energy to finish. I was going to struggle through it, but after thinking about it I just couldn’t make myself. I can (usually) overlook thin characters and crappy worldbuilding by focusing on the good features of the book, but I just cannot overlook a writing style that I find, frankly, horrible. There’s no looking past that. It’s everywhere.

I made it to page 100 before giving up. By page 15 I was already doing a status update (
Cathy
It wasn't awful, but it wasn't good either. It was an easy read as I wasn't terribly bored, but there wasn't anything exciting either. It's very shallow. I felt no emotional connection to anything happening. And almost nothing happened, it was mosly a neighborhood tour of the area of town where the paranormal folks all live. There were some nice images, but the action was confined to a few pages beginning after page 200. I laughed when I realizes that Simon R. Green wrote the blurb on the cover ...more
Andrew
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is that rare time when you find a book you cannot put down and can race through - enjoying every page as you go. There is no reason or explanation you just connect, and that is what happened to me reading Right Hand Magic from Nancy Collins - an author who I first came to love and admire while she was writing the Sonja Blue series of book. A series I see I have now got more books to read - and who for me (and I do not care if she invented or simply jumped on the bang wagon) the hero Vampir ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Whenever a series is named after its location, I expect that location to be as much a character as the protagonist. And the new Golgotham urban fantasy series delivers. The fictitious New York city of Golgotham is a strange and wonderful place populated by centaur cabbies, Amazon bikers, and warlocks for hire. I loved everything about Golgotham, if only the rest of the book had been as good as its setting.

Most urban fantasy titles fall into two camps: o
Gail
Dec 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Monica
Nov 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I really enjoyed this book. It had a fresh new taste to it, for an urban fantasy. Also, the girl on the cover is modestly dressed for the genre's covers. I think the world is something new and the characters are well written and people (and beings) that I would be happy to know and be friends with, well most of them.

I like the oddities of the characters in this story. They each have their own thing and it makes them more real to the reader's eyes. I enjoyed traveling through NYC and Golgotham.
Kelly
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5 stars) Tate, a young New York artist, needs a new apartment right away. She makes metal sculptures out of car parts and other odds and ends, and it seems her landlord isn’t too happy with the noise level. Tate discovers an available room at a reasonable price and jumps at the chance, even though the building is in Golgotham, New York’s magical neighborhood.

Golgotham itself is a fantastically intriguing setting and the best part of Right Hand Magic. It inspires a sense of wonder akin to what
Blodeuedd Finland
review posted at Alternative read.com

More like a 3,75

It was just something about the style of this book that made me fall for it. It is urban fantasy, but different than the rest because the heroine is not kick-ass. Instead the whole tone feels real as she explores a world she has not entered before.

Tate as she calls herself is an artist, who welds things together and her blue blood family is not too happy about it. But she loves art and to find a new place to live she heads to Golgatham. She is
Fiendishly Bookish
4.5 Stars

Nancy Collin’s inventive urban fantasy is amazing wrought as her characters both mundane and magically-inclined, intertwine in the most notorious and guarded suburb of New York, Golgotham. When trust fund baby and industrial artist Tate Eresby ventures to find an apartment in the largely magically populated Golgotham, she has no idea that she will embark on an adventure that will change her entire world, put her at death’s door, and perhaps find her true calling. And maybe….just maybe…l
Yan
Nov 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tate is a trust fund baby, but wants to make her own life as a metal sculptor instead of killing time with drugs and partying. After being kicked out of her old apartment, Tate moves to Golgotham because of its cheap rent and large space for her sculptures. But life in Golgotham is definitely different than what she's used to.
When I first began Right Hand Magic the thought of the race card being dealt came across my mind. Here was the race card disguised as a fantastical community (rainbow color
Rosalind M
Dec 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Felt a little too lighthearted and convenient for the subject matter.
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at http://www.smexybooks.com/2011/01/rev...

Favorite Quote: “If I hadn’t known he was a were-cougar, my only thought upon seeing him was that he was in desperate need of a brow wax...”

When Timothea Alda Talmadge Eresby aka Tate needs more space in order to create her sculptures she finds a deal to good to be true. The problem? It’s located in Golgotham. A magical section of New York, Golgotham is home to all supernatural creatures. Tate takes a chance and arranges to see the apa
Buffi BeCraft-Woodall
(May contain spoilers)
Cover: Photo style cover with some graphic novel leanings. VERY nice. The sepia old world city backdrop with the urban chick in the front totally rocks. I’m not much for the color yellow in general, but this is VERY appealing. I will admit, the name drew me the most.

First off, I need to mention that this is the first book in this series. I couldn’t find an actual website for the author, Nancy Collins save for one with Harper Collins. She appears to have a MySpace page thou
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You can read the entire review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2011/02/...

I was iffy on this one to start, but as I read on, it kind of grew on me. Kind of.Tate is a trust fund baby, rebelling against the trappings of her wealthy parents by pursuing a career that her parents find beneath her. She’s an artist, specializing in sculpture (of the metal kind), and the thought of her in a welder’s helmet, wielding a torch, is just too much for her blue blood parents to bear. After a bitter breakup
Anachronist
Sep 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mini Review: Right Hand Magic (Goghotam 01) by Nancy A. Collins My impressions
If a novel is described as  “vampiric, postpunk, metal-fanged, dark-doomed romance at its best” it makes me interested almost despite myself. I grant it - Golgotham is a very original setting. So original, in fact, that it overshadowed a bit the main characters and the action; mind you the action, although sensibly paced, still seemed more important than the whole romance between Hexe and Tate.
 I was really strange – t
Kerstin ~ (SheReadsByMoonlight)
First of all, I'd like to say that I really liked the world the story was set in. Golgotham is a part of New York where all the supernatural and magical beings live. You can find pretty much everything from centaurs to satyrs, leprechauns to shifters, dryads to crazy biker chicks.
Unfortunately that was the only thing this book had going for it. I didn't connect to any of the characters, in fact I'm not even sure if I even liked our heroine, Tate. Her love interest was a nice guy, but pretty bla
Star
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tate is an artist who works in metal and is still trying to make it big. When she's asked to leave the condo she currently lives in because of the "noise" she makes while creating her art, she calls a number she finds advertising a room for rent. She goes to the house to see the room and finds out it's in Golgotham, where humans are outnumbered and the world works differently. Tate finds herself wanting to know more about the world of her landlord, Hexe, but she just might be in over her head... ...more
Tammy
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ddlf-challenges, uf
I felt that this series had great possibilities and perhaps it still does but with all the awesome books I have waiting for me on my TBR shelf, I doubt I will find out.
Tate is an artist who's specializes in metal sculpture. She decides to move to Golgotham which is in New York and has been home to many kinds of supernatural beings for hundreds of years. Her landlord is a hunky wizard. She struggles with being the only human living in Golgotham but feels at home there.
One of the big problems I h
Jaime the Wizzard
I know a lot of reviewers didn't like this book because the characters didn't really develop, and though there was "action" in this book nothing really happened, but that's why I loved it. Sometimes I just need to a book that lets me shut my brain off and enjoy it. The world was awesome (giant skull gate!), the characters/races new and interesting, and the story was thoroughly enjoyable. If you’re looking for a work of great depth, this is not it. But if you’re looking for something better writt ...more
Sharon Michael
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Golgotham is itself a major character in the story. The author has developed a wonderful, vivid and entertaining world around the city. Found the plot a little underdeveloped, some of the plot threads were fairly common in the genre but the characters were well developed, even many of the minor supporting characters quickly but vividly drawn with a minimum of description.

I find so much of the current urban fantasy to be so dark, so I'm always pleased to find a light, entertaining series that re
Mistress   ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (Mist)
Not at all what I expected. It wasn't really urban fantasy, despite being set in NYC. Or rather it lacked the distinct UF feel/elements to me. It reminded me much more of old school girly fantasy, like Patricia Briggs 'Ihe Hob's Bargain'. The neighborhood scenery/charm of Golgotham was a bright point, but not enough.
T00zday
Not a bad story, but I had thought Tate would get or discover some kind of power of her own. Not the case.
Kind of slow in parts, but good world building.
Decent action after the 70% Mark.

Not at all like the Sonja Blue series by the same author.
This was pretty much YA reading.

HFN
Recommended as filler.
Debrac2014
Right Hand Magic takes place in Golgotham, a neighborhood of NYC, where witches, were animals and other strange folks live! It has great characters! The author had me compulsively reading up until the end! But I was put off by the mutual bigotry between the humans and the citizens of Golgotham.
Nafiza
Aug 13, 2011 marked it as zz-dnf  ·  review of another edition
The writing felt awkward and a bit amateurish. So pass.
Paul
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collection-owned
First off, I am a huge fan of Nancy A. Collins and the world of her Sonja Blue novels. (From Sunglasses After Dark to Darkest Heart). I found Right Hand Magic to be a very nice introduction to her new world and as always her world building was fantastic. I felt the racism and prejudice thrown about in this world came across loud and clear. Tate and Hexe were very likable characters and Hexe's heritage was interesting.

Now, some bad stuff! I felt the book travelled along at a very slow pace and I
Anna
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
"Right Hand Magic" was somewhat hard to get through. The pacing was slow, which actually worked to its advantage overall since this is urban fantasy that involves non-human species, fantastical creatures (although dragons have died out at this point!), and an entire magical sub-culture in New York.
The story is not derivative of any book I have ever read, but I found it a bit like a mix of Mortal Instruments and Harry Potter. I was not surprised to learn that some of the other works of this autho
Orion Lyonesse
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason it took me two days to finish this book was I had to sleep! In this beginning of a trilogy, Tate builds metal sculptures that come to life. Hexe makes potions and lifts curses. Around them Golgotham, a hidden section of New York, swirls with politics, centaurs and leprechauns, magic, and love!
Michelle
I received this book at the beginning of this month for review from the awesome TJ over at the now-closed Dreams and Speculations. After reading the pretty hefty and heavy Lilith's Brood, I wanted to read something light, fun and fast. Right Hand Magic definitely fit that bill, though to be honest, it didn't do much else for me. It was definitely a good thing that I was in the mood to read this kind of thing, or I probably wouldn't have liked it quite as much as I did.

I think I'll just split thi
Christyn
Right Hand Magic was interesting and at times quite fun - the scene with Wallace Ottershaw was particularly amusing. Since this is the first book in a series I'm inclined to be more forgiving over the characters not being well developed yet, especially since I did appreciate the world. Golgotham and it's creatures were fascinating, there are a great deal of creatures you don't typical run into with paranormal/urban fantasy books. I thought it was well done - giving enough information to interest ...more
Jana Brown
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I finished Right Hand Magic a couple of weeks ago, and I have to admit I found it charming. It it the best, most dramatic urban fantasy I’ve ever read? Nope. But it was engaging and really fun, and sometimes fun is exactly what I’m in the mood for.

In Right Hand Magic we meet Tate, who is a trust fund baby defying her socialite parents by choosing the path of an artist, in her case an artist who builds sculptures out of metal. When the book begins Tate has recently broken up with her boyfriend an
  • Skin Deep (Laura Blackstone, #1)
  •  The Cold Kiss of Death (Spellcrackers.com, # 2)
  • Under Wraps (Underworld Detection Agency, #1)
  • Throne of Oak (Maggie's Grove, #2)
  • Disappearing Nightly (Esther Diamond, #1)
  • Highborn (Dark Redemption, #1)
  • Embers (Anya Kalinczyk, #1)
  • Truthseeker (Worldwalker Duology, #1)
  • Shotgun Sorceress (Jessie Shimmer, #2)
  • Dark Oracle (Oracle, #1)
  • Confessions of a Demon (Allay, #1)
  • Night Child (OSI, #1)
  • Hellforged (Deadtown, #2)
  • Hard Magic (Paranormal Scene Investigations #1)
  • Ascension (Dark Breed, #1)
  • License to Ensorcell (Nola O'Grady, #1)
  • Sins & Shadows (Shadows Inquiries, #1)
  • Blood Law (Alexandra Sabian, #1)
Nancy A. Collins (born 10 September 1959) is a United States horror fiction writer best known for her series of vampire novels featuring her character Sonja Blue. Collins has also written for comic books, including the Swamp Thing series, Jason Vs. Leatherface, Predator: Hell Come A Walkin and her own one-shot Dhampire: Stillborn.

Collins was born in McGehee, Arkansas, United States. She lived in N
More about Nancy A. Collins...

Golgotham (3 books)
  • Left Hand Magic (Golgotham, #2)
  • Magic and Loss (Golgotham #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99