Start by marking “This Shared Dream” as Want to Read:
This Shared Dream

This Shared Dream (Dance Family #2)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Kathleen Ann Goonan introduced Sam Dance and his wife, Bette, and their quest to alter our present reality for the better in her novel In War Times (winner of the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Best Novel and ALA’s Best Science Fiction Novel of 2008). Now, in This Shared Dream, she tells the story of the next generation.

The three Dance kids, seemingly abandoned by bot
Published July 19th 2011 by Tor Books (first published July 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about This Shared Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Shared Dream

Vanessa
Siblings Jill, Megan, and Brian were orphaned while in their youth—but now as adults they still don't know what really happened, since their parents simply disappeared. It turns out that their parents had something to do with the development of Q, a sort of world network of education and communication, and its later incarnation: the Device, the machine that will change the world.

But someone wants the Device for their own use, and Jill and her family are in danger.

THIS SHARED DREAM by Kathleen An
Mitchell
Book 2 of a 2 book series. And wow. What a bizarre ride. A fairly non-linear romp through making the world better through physics cosmic unconscious consensus. And jazz and stuff. And as crazy as this sounds, an absolutely rollicking plot spinning out of control the whole way through. I have almost no idea what I just read but it was really cool.
Barry
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
SPOILERS IN REVIEW

This Shared Dream is the follow up to Goonan's earlier novel In War Times. Whilst In War Times' focus was on Sam Dance and his friend Wink, his wife Bette and the enigmatic Eliani Handtz this novel's focus is on Dance's children all grown up.

The first novel was predominantly set during World War II and focussed on the creation of a device that had the ability to change and mutate and reform. A device that would change perceptions of it's user and essentially present a better wo
M Tat
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Total surprise find.

Goonan introduces some plausible and entrancing ideas on intersections that many may not have thought about. For the most part, it's almost like reading a prose presentation of theoretical ideas from a capable mind. I say, for the most part, because it seems as though Goonan doesn't _really_ know how to wrap up here story. Towards the end there are some nigh-farcical, 'suspend your disbelief here or go no further' plot resolutions that weaken the reader's interest in 'listeni
Samuel Lubell
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This sequel to In War Times is somewhat quieter as the now grown up family of Sam and Bette Dance have to deal with the changes to the timeline from the previous book. Initially, only Jill remembers the previous timeline and everyone thinks she is having a mental breakdown. Meanwhile the changes that Q has made are beginning to take hold and a mysterious group wants to capture an imperfect version of the Device and use it for power. This is much more linear than the previous book. There are occa ...more
Ed Swayze
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a kaleidoscope of a novel that jumps back and forth in time with multiple characters that can do the same while jumping between alternate time lines where history and current reality are altered. The story originates with a Jewish poet and her daughter, then branches to those they affect with a mysterious communication system, "Q" and related technology that works on "mirror neurons" to change human tendencies to war and violence. Not an easy read but a fascinating one.
Rachel
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
As far as I'm concerned, Kathleen Ann Goonan can do no wrong. Every page is rich with ideas, plot twists, and engaging characters. This book is a sequel to In War Times, which should be read first. I love that she uses parts of her father's war diary in the war diary of Sam, her father's contemporary.
Rachael Levy
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This series of books was wonderful; It felt like reading and listening to music at the same time. No author like her; She has a unique flavor and very interesting ideas. Loved it and it still lingers on like a beautiful old melody you can't forget and wouldn't want to anyway.
Jim
Oct 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Goonan is good at writing characters, and she has a lot of them in "This shared dream"--maybe too many. Or maybe one should read "In war times" before tackling "This shared dream." Also, her ideas are intriguing and persuasive. Still, I feel she bit off more than she could chew.
Chris
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. Finished it last night, and I sort of miss it now. The characters grew on me through the book, and the sci-fi elements had a nice mild mind-stretching quality with enough left unexplained for one to satisfyingly muse over.
Sharon
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
I so wanted to like this book, after all I love contemporary sci fi. I stayed with it for close to 200 pages but it still felt like I was slogging through character introduction and background and that the story line just never got going.
scherzo♫
Jan 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: otherwhere
Front cover blurb: "A tough-minded, kind-hearted, fiercely intelligent novel." -- Ursula K. Le Guin

Back cover blurb: "... As elegant and complicated as the ever-changing timestreams that wind through it. ..." -- Connie Willis

Mark Cheathem
Nov 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Liked it, but not as much as its predecessor. It's a bit too techno-utopian (is that a word?) for me.
Kate Abbott
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This genre is not my normal fare but I enjoyed it. It is rich in historical detail and the language and dialogue are excellent. Although complex, the multiple timelines do work.
Ray Duncan
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Much better than "In War Times." Unfortunately, reading In War Times first is pretty much vital to making sense of this book.
Modular
Worthy sequel to In war Times
Stephanie
Oct 04, 2011
Joseph Robertson
rated it did not like it
Aug 17, 2014
  • Home Fires
  • Heart of Iron
  • The Big Big Sea
  • Enigmatic Pilot: A Tall Tale Too True
  • Hidden Cities (Moshui, #3)
  • The Alchemists of Kush
  • Reality 36
  • The Uncertain Places
  • Briarpatch
  • The Domination
  • This Star Shall Abide (Children of the Star, #1)
  • Redwood and Wildfire