Start by marking “King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus” as Want to Read:
King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus

King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus

New York Times bestselling author and nationally renowned minister Timothy Keller unlocks new insights into the life of Jesus Christ.

King's Cross is Timothy Keller's revelatory look at the life of Christ as told in the Gospel of Mark. There have been many biographies of Jesus, but few will be as anticipated as one by Keller, the man Newsweek calls "a C.S. Lewis for the twenty-first century
Hardcover, First Edition, 250 pages
Published February 22nd 2011 by Dutton, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. (first published January 1st 2011)

Start your review of King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus
John
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm all kinds of happy with this book. I've either liked or loved all of Keller's books. But this one is my favorite. It carries all of Keller's popular themes: justice, idols, gospel critique of religion, and worldview challenge. But they are all brought out from the text of the Gospel of Mark. The strength of this book is that it helped me trust in and love Christ more. Also, it's a wonderful example of reading the gospels. It's a wonderful book to read for devotions or hand to a skeptic.
Barb Terpstra
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I cannot recommend "King's Cross" highly enough. There were so many parts that spoke to me, that brought me to new awareness of the gift of Jesus to the World.

How can it be that we have lost the urgency, the joy, the passion that is the real and true story of Jesus. Like C.S. Lewis, Timothy Keller opens my brain to new pathways of understanding of just how significant the death of Jesus on the cross is.

I know this seems weird to say. I'm a Christian - one would think I'm
Brian
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
THERE IS GOOD NEWS!

"God is the source of all love, all life, all light, all coherence. Therefore exclusion from God is exclusion from the source of all light, all love, all coherence. Jesus began to experience the spiritual, cosmic, infinite disintegration that would happen when he became separated from his Father on the cross. Jesus began to experience merely a foretaste of that, and he staggered."

Pastor Kellers thoughts about the written word of God are at times stagger
Kate Hewitt
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a brilliant book, very theologically meaty but also easily read. Keller takes you through key passages in Mark, highlighting who Jesus was, what He did, and why. Very clearly thought out and well written. Highly recommended!
Eric Chappell
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I. Before

Book "is an extended meditation on the historical Christian premise that Jesus' life, death, and resurrection form the central event of cosmic human history as well as the central organizing principle of our own lives" (x).

1. A true life story: Keller goes through Bauckham's arguments about the gospels as oral histories.

2. The Gospel of Mark: Peter mentioned in basically every episode--shows that Mark was writing Peter's testimony.

Jesus ha
Ashley
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, religious
This is a must read for anyone, Christian or not. For those already with a strong faith, it will solidify the core beliefs of Christianity and bring a greater level of intimacy with and understanding of Jesus himself. Walking through Jesus' ministry and life, with a focus on the facts, which Keller is so spectacular at, is a powerful way of rationalizing Christian practices and beliefs.

For those still seeking, this book is beautiful in that it deals with the core of Christianity. Jesus' life is
Kristian Kilgore
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology-to-read
(I enjoyed this as an audio book and it was very listenable)

Tim Keller is the pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City, and I have listened to his audio sermons for quite a few years - in fact, he is one of a very short list of preachers whose sermons I will actually pay to listen to. I'm familiar with his style and some of the flow of his thought, but this was by far the longest thing I've consumed of his to date. I was not disappointed.

Keller is an incred
Shelly
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished reading The King's Cross by Tim Keller, and I find myself (as is usually the case when I read Tim Keller) wanting more.

Keller does a fantastic job of inviting his readers to join with him on a journey through the book of Mark. The pace is natural, the insights and teaching phenomenal. I felt as if I was right there, immersed in the first century as an eyewitness to the life of my Jesus. The nuances, the details, the tremendously multi-faceted story--all are writt
Ben Zajdel
Timothy Keller is being lauded as the next C. S. Lewis, and it's pretty easy to see why. He's got a distinctive writing style--intellectual, but not complicated. While his thoughts aren't as complex as Lewis's, his prose is much more enjoyable.

King's Cross (just in time for Easter) is essentially a commentary on the Gospel of Mark. Keller focuses on the actions of Jesus, and he cites Mark's journalistic approach as the reason he chose to center King's Cross around that gospel.

Keller's premise
Rob O'Lynn
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! What else can I say about a Time Keller book. I am very glad that I selected this as a textbook for the Mark course I am teaching this fall.
Gigi
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! So many great points and illustrations. I will be going back it again and again. A clear, thorough guide through Mark and all the miracle of the gospel. Can't recommend it enough.
Hannah Brandenburg
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book greatly broke me then healed me. It showed me how to dance for Him.
Craig Turnbull
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my aims in reading Christian works these days is to read from authors who would be slightly outside my normal purview. I want to hear the message of Jesus in a refreshing, but orthodox way.

I'll just come out and say it: Jesus the King is a magnificent book that does just that.

Keller states his intended goal at the outset:
My purpose here is to try to show, through his words and actions, how beautifully his life makes sense of ours.

His aim is to take two looks: one at Jesus, and then on/>My
Angus Mcfarlane
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Keller is a refreshing note for Christian writing, managing to maintain a biblical theology perspective without becoming turgid, whilst sustaining a practical aspect without descending into Christian self help. He also stays fairly abreast of the current voices criticizing Christianity, offering conservative but thoughtful responses to these when the context (in the case Marks gospel) allows it. And while this is a solid exposition of this style, I found myself zoning out about halfway through. ...more
Wes F
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Power-packed & engaging unpacking of the Gospel of Mark. Keller does a great job and is thoroughly readable. He does a magnificent job of pointing to the central point of Jesus' life--the cross--and all that it means for all us humans who were ousted from the Garden, where a flaming sword barred further entrance. Until someone worthy went under the sword--and spilled their blood--to open the way again to a relationship with our Creator.
Hunter Satterfield
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of Keller's lesser known works, this book walks through the life of Jesus as told in the book of Mark. As usual Keller absolutely delivers with incredible insight into the Word. Things that I have read for years and yet Keller is able to make me look at it in a different way and bring fresh perspective. This is also a great book to use to guide devotionals through Mark as the chapters are 10-15 pages each.

Of note: the paperback version is now published as "Jesus the King."
Hilary Forrest
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jacob and I worked through this book during Lent and Holy Week this year. Keller had many thought provoking chapters in this volume. But, doesn't he usually? :) It coincided nicely with the season and would be something I would consider reading again during Lent/Holy Week - although anytime would be a fitting time to read this.
Kara Sauder
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books. What a privilege to gaze slowly and thoroughly at the life and death of Jesus, the Son of God. I look forward to reading it again and again.
Leslie
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I've never been disappointed with a Tim Keller book. He walks through the life of Jesus' ministry, death, and resurrection. I really enjoyed reading this during the Easter season.
Ruth
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't intend to gobble this up quite so quickly (I meant it for Lenten reading), but it was just so good and so readable that the pages practically turned themselves. One aspect of Keller's writing and preaching that I've always appreciated is his Christocentric focus. With a title like Jesus the King, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed in that regard, and I wasn't. Jesus is King, and I'm so thankful!
Matthew
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Timothy Keller is very quickly becoming one of my favorite authors to read. His last book, Generous Justice, was fantastic and skillfully addressed the important issues of social justice and the gospel, generosity, and God’s heart for the marginalized in a profound way. Now, just a few months later, he’s following up with King’s Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus.

Built off a sermon series done by Keller at his church in Manhattan, King’s Cross is basically a guided to
Keiki Hendrix
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
More than a few readers have dubbed Timothy Keller as the C. S. Lewis of our day. This is quite an impressive statement especially to me because of my particular fondness of Lewis' books. Not having read any of Timothy Keller's books, I was definitely intrigued.

His words, his illustrations, and how he presented the gospel message matches Lewis' style. It did not surprise me to read that Lewis is of Keller's favorite author.

In King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Li
Christy Lockstein
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
King's Cross by Timothy Keller is a study of the life of Jesus and his message through the Gospel of Mark. Keller who is the pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan has written several other books about Christianity, but this is a compilation of his sermons on Mark. Mark is considered to be the oldest of the Gospels and is also the shortest. Mark keeps his Gospel short but sweet focusing on the true message of Christ. Keller's wisdom is evident on every page with a great deal of insi ...more
Cherrie
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is my 1st Tim Keller book and I absolutely loved it. Took my time to chew through the book - SO many good things in here; I nearly highlighted the whole book. THAT good.

"I trust that you will find the figure if Jesus worthy of your attention: unpredictable yet reliable, gentle yet powerful, authoritative yet humble, human yet divine."

Takeaways:
- knowing God as a goal - not using God as means to get to other life goals
- "follow me bc I'm the King you've been looking for.
Eric Anderson
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Keller does an excellent job walking through the book of Mark. His work is well-educated, yet still very much accessible. The book is divided into two sections: the first expounds upon Christ's identity (King), while the second more fully relates His purpose (cross). Overall, his treatment of the scripture passages was thorough and enlightening.
I thought his comments on the uniqueness of the Gospel were right on. The Gospel is not simply good advice, but is rather life-changing news. Simi
Bethany
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book.

Tim Keller is an engaging communicator anyway, but this book did a fabulous job at blending apologetics and story. The gospel already feels alive to me, but his blending into story doesn't make me leap around through the Gospels in the same way, trying not to miss any important details. He explained the Gospel story as one and shot down some pervasive arguments against it. He did it gently and with logic and personal/emotional connection. He showed that while
Keren Threlfall
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reading
King’s Cross is hands down the best book I’ve read in recent months, and probably in years. Keller uses the Gospel of Mark to clearly articulate and examine the major themes of “the King” and “the Cross,” dividing the book in to two main parts under those headings. This work is both commentary and devotional, both theological and inspirational, both intellectual and easy to read (or listen to). It is written to address both the skeptic of Christianity and those already in love with this King. ...more
Jonathan McIntosh
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Most of the best Keller gems are here, so King's Cross makes a great intro to Tim's work for those who are unfamiliar. Don't go into this thinking this is a commentary on the book of Mark - not everything in Mark's gospel is covered here. Keller has a cohesive theme he's working with, so the book is more like 18 little Tim Keller sermons packaged together... easy to read and insightful. Keller always writes/speaks with unbelievers in mind, so it makes a great book for seekers/skeptics as well as ...more
Glenn Crouch
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
This is a marvellous, easy to read book that has its origin in a set of Sermons the Author did on the Gospel of Mark. Thus rather than a scholarly exegesis (and there is nothing wrong with that), we have a more intimate journey through Mark - full of illustrations and references from the likes of CS Lewis and Tolkien.

This could easily be used as a devotional book or as a basis of a Bible Study group. An excellent book I believe for a new Christian, or even someone who wants to know more about w
Mark
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am continually impressed by Tim Keller's ability to present the Gospel in refreshing and insightful ways. Once again, he has taken a familiar portrayal of Jesus (from the Gospel of Mark) and drawn out truths which are relevant and practical to ordinary, garden variety seekers of truth. is less intellectual than his (equally enlightening) The Reason for God, and a bit more socially-oriented than The Prodigal God. Keller fans will not be disappointed and those unfamiliar with Keller will become fans. I ...more

• Surprised By Grace: God's Relentless Pursuit Of Rebels
  • Gospel Wakefulness
  • Why We Love the Church: In Praise of Institutions and Organized Religion
  • Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe
  • Finally Alive: What Happens When We Are Born Again?
  • Note to Self: The Discipline of Preaching to Yourself
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible
  • Love Walked Among Us: Learning to Love Like Jesus
  • Dug Down Deep: Unearthing What I Believe and Why It Matters

Timothy Keller is the founding pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan, which he started in 1989 with his wife, Kathy, and three young sons. For over twenty years he has led a diverse congregation of young professionals that has grown to a weekly attendance of over 5,000.

He is also Ch
“If this world was made by a triune God, relationships of love are what life is really all about.” 6 likes
“All love, all real, life-changing love, is substitutionary sacrifice. You have never loved a broken person, you have never loved a guilty person, you have never loved a hurting person except through substitutionary sacrifice.” 4 likes