Start by marking “Hope for the Flowers ” as Want to Read:
Hope for the Flowers

Hope for the Flowers

This classic story is celebrating its 40th anniversary beginning in September of 2012. "Hope for the Flowers" is an inspiring allegory about the realization of one's true destiny as told through the lives of caterpillars Stripe and Yellow, who struggle to "climb to the top" before understanding that they are meant to fly.
Published October 1st 1997 by Paulist Press (first published September 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Hope for the Flowers, please sign up.
Ashley I just read this today in the second time. I also think this simple idea of the book is really powerful to me. I've not tried to read JLS yet. I can't…moreI just read this today in the second time. I also think this simple idea of the book is really powerful to me. I've not tried to read JLS yet. I can't wait to read it! :) (less)

Raha
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
این واقعیت که هر چیزی توی این دنیا روزی خسته کننده و تکراری میشه واقعیت آزار دهنده ای هست که اکثرا" تجربش کردیم. اینکه مهم نیست تا کجا بالا بریم، چقدر پولدار باشیم یا متراژ خونه هامون چقدر بزرگ باشه یا اصلا کشوها و کمد هامون رو با چقدر طلا و لباس و هزار جور چیز دیگه پر کنیم، حقیقت اینه که ذات ما آدم ها اینه که از هر چیزی، حالا هر چه قدرهم خوب و خارق العاده، یک روز خسته میشه

اون زمانی که همه چیز در اطرافمون خسته کننده و تکراری و حتی گاهی اوقات آزار دهنده میشه ، درست همون لحظه ست که به دنبال مفهوم
Jason
Jan 09, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: David, Brian, Mark, other misanthropes
Recommended to Jason by: an ex
A girlfriend gave me this book once.

At the time, I was living on an island of about two hundred people, teaching English. A foolish, miserable task--the kind of "good-for-you" intervention bound up in so many good intentions that the inevitable crass exploitation and inadequate resourcing and nonexistent long-term vision and full-on horseshit stupidity seem, in hindsight, a necessary cosmic counter-balancing. Ostensibly, I was teaching English and helping the other English teachers improve curr
[Shai] Bibliophage
I was really curious on this children's book because I've read several good reviews before about this. I was able to purchase a copy of this from our local bookstore online and I read it right away. It's a short story so I was able to read it within 10 minutes or less.
Hope For The Flowers
Hope For The Flowers
The story reminds me of Aesop's fables I've read when I was still young. It could be children's book but the lessons are more like a reminder for adults. I highly recommend this to everyone especially to those who are young profess
Althea Ann
Mar 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Someone's comment just reminded me of this one...

I read this when I was a kid (significantly under 10) at the public library.

An allegorical hippie story encouraging people (or caterpillars) to get out of the rat race. I got the allegory, even as a kid. (It's pretty impossible to miss.) Even then, while I didn't disagree with the 'go your own way' part of the message, I thought the delivery was a Bit Much.

It features a HORRIFYING scene where the ambitious caterpillars are literally forming pillar
Shima Mahmoudi
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
یه کتاب کوتاه و خوب که خوندنش 10 دقیقه بیشتر زمان نمیبره.
در قالب یه داستان ساده و کودکانه در مورد زندگی و معنای اون صحبت کرده و اینکه الزاما مسیری که همه دنبالش می کنند و اونو ارزش می دونن راه درست نیست و با اینکه خواسته ی افراده، به معنی خوب بودن اون جایگاه نیست و گاهی دقیقا اون لحظه ای که همه فکر می کنن شکست خوردی تازه در راه درست قرار گرفتی.

یه کتاب ساده، کوچولو، دوست داشتنی
Lori
Sep 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fricken-awesome
this book is written like a childrens book, but for adults. Very reminicent of Esops fables....

I first read it back in high school, a friend saw me looking it over, and then went back and bought it for me. Its very touching....

Its about one catapillar who, unlike the others, isnt happy just eating leaves and climbing the catapillar-pillar. He stops to wonder "why".... he questions everything around him.

Its a little about love, and growing into your own skin, its about doing what has to be done,
Tom
Oct 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Hope for the Flowers presents a wonderful, charming tale of two caterpillars (Stripe and Yellow) trying to get to the top.

Beguiled at first by a misguided attempt to climb on the heads of their fellow caterpillars (who have commingled into an enormous "caterpillar pillar" that ascends into the sky), Yellow and Stripe eventually abandon the pillar for the simple lives of eating and rolling around on the ground. But Stripe can't contain his curiosity about the pillar, and abandons Yellow to try th
Zenki the Hermit
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a story about love and ambition.

Stripe does not truly know what he wants. All he knows is that he's done with the very monotonous days of seemingly perpetual crawling and leaf-eating. When he sees a lot of
caterpillars climbing towards the clouds, he decides to climb with them, even if he did not
know where he was going. All he knew was that everyone else was going that way, trying to
attain whatever it is at the top, and since everyone seemed to want it, he became convinced
that he wanted
Mahsa
A different sort of book for everyone,
Except for those
who have given up completely...
(And even they might secretly enjoy it.)

این کتاب رو پیشنهاد میدم به اونهایی که امیدشون رو از دست دادن... و به اونهایی که با واژه "تردید" آشنا هستن و در راهی که پیش گرفتن چشمهاشون رو نبستن.
که حس میکنن وسط روزمرههای زندگیشون گم شدن، که ترسیدن از آینده، که هرگز راه جدیدی رو امتحان نکردن و کمکم نگاهشون به زندگی داره رنگها رو گم میکنه و سیاه و سفید میشه...
نمیگم این کتاب ناجی خواهد بود؛ اما لذت خواهید برد... با دو ک
Merlyna Lim
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: favorites
Simple but grand. Sweet but really touching. Makes you smile, laugh, and cry. I would recommend every adult I know to read this book. Just read it and you'll understand why I love this book so much.

I actually re-drew all pictures in the book and turned them into various big posters for a story-telling at one Summer School for teenagers in my neighborhood, back in Bandung, Indonesia. You wouldn't believe me, but as I were telling the story, that such simple story, almost all kids were burst in t
booklady
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone any age
I have loved this book ever since high school when a very special friend shared it with me. It’s been a long time since I read it, but it never fails to charm.

Recently I went on a hunt for it in this jungle house of books, but without success. I know I have a ratty old paperback copy somewhere but I can’t find it. So I checked it out from the library and read it again with profound enjoyment and peace.

It’s that kind of book—a peaceful book. It’s a book which reminds us that we are all so much mo
Shannon
May 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: flower children, cheesy people
Recommended to Shannon by: goodwill
Shelves: graphic-novels, own
This allegory coudln't be more unsubtle. Unless at the end the author was like "and like, the caterpillars, are actually like, PEOPLE. And the strive to the top is like, our struggle in life. And like, being a butterfly is..." etc. The illustrations were cutesie pie though. This is such a hippie book I don't even know what else to say. It's hard to hate on such cheesy idealism.... I felt like I should be more impressed by the cute, universal message, than I was. Maybe it'd help if I was less cyn ...more
Arash Esmaeili
داستانی که به ظاهر برای بچه ها نوشته شده،ولی مفهومش رو خیلی از آدم بزرگ ها هم تو زندگیشون درک نکردن!
"من یک پروانه دیدم،
زندگی مفهوم بیشتری میتواند داشته باشد."
Maria Ella
This allegory is totally amazing! Good thing there's a free blog containing this short story. For those who wanted a free read, you may refer to this link.

Review and Reflections:

I was spending my idle time in my office desk. Thinking of something short yet worthwhile to read. I've read some articles about CJ on Trial Drama, Lady Gaga Concert, and Jessica Sanchez's potential to win this season's AI. When I went to this site and a friend rated this five stars, I searched for the free text of this
Elaine Mullane
Nov 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, just-no, readwomen
I received this book as a gift, which I was grateful for, but I just couldn't get on board with it. So here's the thing: this book has been around for 45 years+. It's kind of a children's book, sort of a self-help book, is supposed to provide inspiration and touches on psychology. And that's exactly my problem with it. Paulus has tried to be so all encompassing that the book just falls flat. There are too many messages and her agenda is just too long.

Hope For The Flowers is little bit about love
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
This is one of those books that you bring yourself to. You will read it through the filter of your experiences, background, and core beliefs. What your core beliefs actually ARE may surprise you; your reaction to books like this may make ideas you didn't know you cherished leap out at you and say BOO!

This is a "Marmite book"--you will love it or hate it.

It can be taken a myriad of ways, and will. But the fault if any lies not within our stars, but in ourselves.

If it makes you happy, cherish
Jared Vincent Lacaran
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
I've first read this book when I was like ten. It's been how many years now, and I still think that it's fantastic.

This books is about the journey of two caterpillars, Stripe and Yellow, and the obstacles and problems that they faced before they both became butterflies.

The story is simple, but beautiful and realistic. It's about learning to give up and let go. How each ending offers a new beginning. It's about taking risks. And the desire to see something more.

The illustrations are really wonder
M.K. Aneal
Aug 02, 2015 added it
Shelves: favorites
Oh this book was just wonderful!!!!! :D
Thank you, Jerrel for letting me know about this book! This was terrific!! This was such a unique yet inspirational book! This relates to life and shows the journey we all travel. The question, "There has to be more to life?" Is what is focused on! We try to find joy in being at the top yet we never truly see that God has placed true importance in us- and in Jesus we can become new!! Now this book is not considered Christian yet this is a book that should b
Hanieh Noori
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hanieh by: Yasamin Rezaei
شاید باید خوندنِ شُ دفعه یِ پیش ول میکردم، که این جمله رو امروز ببینم:
«آن چه به نظر میرسد این است که تو میمیری؛ امّا آن چه واقعی ست، این است که تو باز هم زندگی خواهی کرد. زندگی عوض میشه؛ امّا از بین نمیره..»

...پایان"
یا آغاز..."

.پ.ن: قبل تر هم پگاه و معصومه پیشنهاد داده بودن ش
Yugon_ C2
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Korean version is also good. Recommending this to Koreans who has some difficulties in reading the english version. Hope for the flowers.
Yugon_ C2
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first thought that it was a goofy story about tower of worms, but as I read through the book, I recognized that it had a deeper meaning than anything. I won't talk about it in the review how I can spoil the story. Just read it, it's actually good.
Yen
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is really nice.. My prof assigned me this in english lesson..I don't know how to report this bcoz I want the whole class to love and appreciate it the way I read and understand but didn't find the words to say.. It's just one of the inspiring book iv'e read..

Lessons I learned is that to be able to achieve your goals and to be happy.. you just have to be yourself and not to step on someone..because true happiness is that to be kind to everyone.. It's always happening nowadays especiaal
Niloufar
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-همه جور چیز تازه پیدا می شد. سبزه، خاک، حفره ها و حشرات کوچک، هریک او را به خود مجذوب نمودند. اما هیچ یک او را متقاعد نساختند.
-«من هم این کار را دوست دارم.»
اما این به معنی دست کشیدن از بالا رفتن بود، تصمیمی که اتخاذ آن آسان نبود.
-او احساس حماقت و دستپاچگی هم می کرد زیرا هیچ وقت نتوانسته بود دلایلش را طوری در قالب کلمات بریزد که منطق راه راه بپذیرد.
-آن چه به نظر می رسد این است که تو می میری اما آن چه واقعی است این است که تو باز هم زندگی خواهی کرد.
-این خودش یک دل گرمی است بر این که در مسیر صحیح
May 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is deceptively simple. It's for anyone in a relationship, anyone who wonders "is there more to life?", anyone who is trying to personally grow and to find themselves. Does that leave anyone out? It's sort of like a therapy fable. It took about 30 minutes to read, and it's the kind of book that you keep in your bedstand to pull out whenever you need to remind yourself that growth hurts and change can be very scary.
Hayley
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a children's book that is clearly from the time of hippies. It is new agey and goofy, but I still love it. I found it at the house of a girl I take care of, and was surprised by it when I read it to her. It touched me and hit me in a place that I didn't realize existed. I enjoyed it and I think others would, too (just don't take it too seriously, it is what it is). I also would like to say that I absolutely love the name of this book.
K.D. Absolutely
May 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to K.D. by: My religion teacher in college
This was a required reading in my Religion 101 class in college in the early 80’s. I remember the plot – a caterpillar who went on top of other caterpillar trying to reach a certain height. I think it is a story of becoming somebody among the many who do not have dreams. It is very much the same message as Jonathan Livingston Seagull. The only difference is that these are caterpillars metamorphosing into nice butterflies while Jonathan is a seagull who learned how to be different by flying.
Elyse
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My father actually gave me this book so it has special connotations for me through sentimentality. The simple story is spectacular and sweet; touching on concepts such as isolation, peer pressure, independence, fear of change, prejudice and many more...yes this little book really does all that. I've read it at least four times to my daughter and every time she can apply its simple storyline to what ever happens to be going on in her ever changing, ever growing life
Katie Florida
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My brother bought this for my daughters years ago while they were still too young to appreciate it. It got put on a special shelf and was recently rediscovered - I finally read it. It was just as hopeful and charming as my hermano promised and gave me fresh encouragement that life isn't in the striving, but in the being.
Trace
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in high school. Every once in awhile (each decade of my life) I re-read it and the story pertains to me differently. It meets me where I am at. I am so grateful I stumbled upon it again today.
Spudsie
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone seeking inspiration or struggling to figure out what's at the top
Wow. I had almost forgotten about this book. I was trying to find room in my (seriously overcrowded) bookshelves for a book I had just finished reading and ran into this one tucked away—waiting patiently to be rediscovered.

The book itself is a beautifully written and delightfully illustrated allegory of a caterpillar named Spike and his companion Yellow. It tells of Spike’s struggle to find…..well……happiness. Or perhaps more accurately (as I’m learning), to choose happiness.

Since the book is on
Goodreads Librari...: Page count 2 15 Jun 28, 2018 03:13PM
Goodreads Librari...: Books to combine 2 14 Jun 24, 2018 02:46PM
m 1 4 Aug 14, 2017 09:52AM
Being Butterfly 2 15 Feb 25, 2014 12:36AM
  • After Eden
  • Three Beloved Classics by E. B. White: Charlotte's Web/the Trumpet of the Swan/Stuart Little
  • New Kid in Town
  • Angel Girl
  • Take Your Time: The Wisdom of Slowing Down
  • The Televisionary Oracle
  • The D. Case or The Truth About The Mystery Of Edwin Drood
  • Theology of His Body/Theology of Her Body: Discovering the Strength & Mission of Masculinity/Discovering the Beauty and Mystery of Femininity
  • Born to Read
  • The Message of a Master: Classic Tale of Wealth, Wisdon, and the Secret of Success
  • I Like You
Trina Paulus is the author of Hope for the Flowers, a novel "for adults and others (including caterpillars who can read). She describes herself as an "advocate of organic farming, composting, holistic health and spiritual search." Paulus lives in Montclair, New Jersey and acts as the vice-president of the Cornucopia Network of New Jersey. Paulus' archives of 25 years of the New Jersey environmenta ...more
“How does one become a butterfly? They have to want to learn to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.” 194 likes
“‎"Tell me, sir, what is a butterfly?"
"It's what you are meant to become. It flies with beautiful wings and joins the earth to heaven. It drinks only nectar from the flowers and carries the seeds of love from one flower to another. Without butterflies, the world would soon have few flowers.”
35 likes