Start by marking “Wolverine Noir” as Want to Read:
Wolverine Noir

Wolverine Noir (Wolverine Marvel Comics)

The Bowery, 1937. Jim Logan, the fiercest knife expert in New York, runs a seedy detective agency called "LOGAN & LOGAN..".along with his useless, halfwit brother, Dog. They're the best they are at what they do. But when a swanky dame named Mariko Yashida struts into the office, she opens up a world of hurt for Logan, forcing him to revisit his painful, bloody past. Th ...more
Comic Book
Published by Marvel (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Wolverine Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolverine Noir

William Thomas
So, I'm not exactly sure if Vertigo's hard-bound crime series had anything to do with Marvel starting to publish a rash of "noir" graphic novels that moved outside the normal continuity but still relied on the character name to sell it or not, but it sure seems like it. But other than a Hellblazer crime adaptation, Vertigo let the writers and artists publish brand new stories with unknown characters. I don't know how successful it turned out, but I thought a bunch of them were damn good.

And I t
Sesana
Jan 05, 2013 Sesana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, comics
The best of the Marvel Noir books I've read, as a noir. (Iron Man Noir was better, but it was really a pulp story.) The art is the best part of the book by far. It's gorgeous, atmospheric, and gives a true noir feel. The storyline is pretty good, but it's very rushed in places. Maybe the most glaring example is how Logan describes Yuriko as the best friend he's ever had after she's been in only a handful of panels and had been introduced as a stranger to him. I feel like there were really six is ...more
Carmen
Feb 12, 2016 Carmen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The familiar elements of the Wolverine mythology are here: Japanese seductresses, ninjas, brutal older family members, but it just doesnt work well. if the story had been given more room to breathe, more space to develop, the book might have been better. As it is it felt like a cliff notes version of a Wolverine story. The noir elements were worked in cleverly but the story just felt too superficial. That and the dialogue was often stilted and awkward.
Quentin Wallace
Jul 08, 2017 Quentin Wallace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ive read a few of the Marvel Noir series books, and this one probably comes closest to capturing the true "Noir" vibe. A very dark story, sad at times, gritty throughout. This one really catches the bleakness I usually associate with these type of stories. Probably a little dark for most, but if are a fan of Noir you'll get it. Not a bad read and one that really accomplishes what it set out to do.
Jeff Lanter
Usually if I review a book, I try to have clear and concrete reasons why something didn't click with me. I have more trouble than usual with Wolverine Noir identifying why it isn't a better book. The book certainly gets the down on your luck part of noir and Wolverine right. Nothing good happens for Logan and you pretty much expect that just from the title. And yet, something about the character of Wolverine and even the characters from his series don't work that well here. Some characters feel ...more
C. Derick
This mediocre noir set in New York in 1937 with Wolverine recast as a detective. Stuart Moore starts strong the tropes he uses are increasingly predictable and don't really build on the either the superhero or noir genres, really just subsuming the former into the later in a rather obvious way. The backstory with Dog and Rose was a twist that was almost beat-for-beat predictable with the normal tragedy involved. C.P. Smith's artwork is interesting, but sometimes the line work is by "gritty" by b ...more
Max Ostrovsky
Better than X-Men Noir, but only because it had a more cohesive story.
Linnea Gelland
A fun retelling of the Wolverine story, now set in the 1930's and complete with femme fatales, mindless hunks and crime lords. Wolverine is of course the down on his luck private detective in the filthiest part of the city.
Adhi Glory (glory2go)

Wolverine Noir: Menikmati Wolverine Cita Rasa Aneh??

Ceritanya sangat aneh kalo menurut saya. Sama sekali gak menunjukkan greget tokoh Wolverine, malah berujung kayak komik thriller jadinya.

Jim Logan dan Dog adalah dua bersaudara yang mendirikan agency detektif swasta bernama "Logan & Logan" di Bowery, New York, 1937. Meskipun begitu Logan sangat membenci partner-nya itu. Ia merasa Dog adalah seperti kutukan baginya. Dan sesuatu dalam dirinya, yang digambarkan Ayahnya, seorang pendeta, sebaga
logankstewart
I’ve pretty much been a Wolverine fan my entire life, mostly because we both share the name Logan. But the man’s got a wild sense of righteousness and justice, not to mention the three claws of death that spike out his hands. Yes, Wolverine has always been a favorite Marvel character of mine, and when I saw the Marvel TPB collection of Wolverine Noir, I knew I’d have to read it.

The story, written by Stuart Moore and beautifully illustrated by C.P. Smith, fits the pulpy noir style perfectly. Jim
Tung
Mar 23, 2011 Tung rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I have to give credit to Marvel for what it is attempting to do with its Marvel Noir series. After publishing stories about its iconic characters for decades, Marvel needed to inject creativity into its storytelling. And placing the Marvel characters with the richest and deepest personalities into a mystery noir setting is certainly being creative. Wolverine Noir takes everyone’s favorite gruff X-Man and puts him into 1937 New York City as a detective. Logan and his partner Dog are hired by a my ...more
Hayden
Feb 27, 2012 Hayden rated it did not like it
I never actually read this book. Never got to, that is. After reading Claremont/Miller's Wolverine story a year ago, I ordered this off Amazon, which is a film noir-style take on that same story. It came in the mail, and I was in the middle of a book, and didn't get around to reading this for about two weeks. After being excited and anticipating an awesome take on my favorite Marvel character (the cover is really badass), I opened it. Since it's a noir book, part of the gimmick is that it's prin ...more
Anna
This is the first of the Marvel Noir series I've read, and everything that I've known about the style was from Sin City and the Rugrats episode where Tommy has to find something out about the malties. In Wolverine Noir, the art and writing stands up for itself and supports the weight of Logan's guilt for his brother Dog. Logan and Dog are detectives in the bowels of New York and for a four-issue series, a lot of shit goes down when Mariko Yashida strolls into the office and vaguely asks for help ...more
Sam Quixote
Logan is recast as a down on his luck gumshoe from the late 30s where a dame walks into his office, offers him a case, and before he knows it he's up to his neck in trouble. Pure noir. Only here Logan isn't Wolverine, the self-healing mutant with the bone claws who becomes Weapon X, and so on; here he's just a regular guy with a chequered past who happens to be good with knives.

The Marvel Noir series is a good idea but I'm beginning to see a trend in the books: the famous character is recast as
Sam Quixote
Jan 13, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it liked it

Dmitry Yakovenko
Aug 14, 2012 Dmitry Yakovenko rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Чуть ли не худший том в цикле Marvel Noir. Тут почти все действует против него. В наличии: отвратительный рисунок, не красивый и без фирменного стиля, не очень интересная история, которая еще и "радует" ужасным финалом, среднего качества диалоги, не очень интересные герои, некоторые из которых полностью лишены мотивации, а так же фирменная атмосфера этой серии плавно отошла на второй, а то и третий план. Если и стоит читать, то только для того, что бы посмотреть, каким прекрасным и интересным ст ...more
Neil McCrea
A short, bitter, alternate reality Wolverine tale. This volume seems to have a better sense of what constitutes noir fiction than other Marvel Noir titles. Private eye Logan, and his mentally handicapped partner Dog, is hired by Mariko Shoji to find a MacGuffin/red herring. Dog disappears, and Logan turns the Bowery upside down only to discover that the entire case revolves around his troubled past. A clever bit of entertainment, even though Logan's insta-friendship w/ Yukio after one meeting an ...more
Brian
Jan 06, 2013 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first venture into the Marvel's Noir comic series (outside playing as Spider-man Noir in the PS3 game "Shattered Dimentions"). As a big fan of Noir and Superheroes this is right up my alley. I like the non-comic traditioal take on the character of Wolverine. Gone are his mutant powers, adamantium laced skeleton, and bone claws. This is a realistic take on Wolverine that is refreshing. Well written, the art fits the tone of the book. Highly recommended.
Lissa
This is probably my favorite of the noir series that I've read so far. The art is dark, but I could actually see what was going on and didn't get the characters confused with one another (always a plus), and the story was pretty good too. Wolverine is lacking his characteristic claws, but that's typical for the noir series, and there's some name-dropping that long-time fans of Wolverine will likely appreciate. Altogether, one of the more solid offerings for this series.
Jesus
Sórdida (como las otras) historia ambientada en los años 30 y protagonizada por personajes Marvel, en este caso Lobezno. Como en bastantes cómics que he leído últimamente, hay bastante confusión al seguir la historia y saber quién hizo qué y cuándo. Es como si la historia realmente estuviera pensada para un mayor número de páginas. De todas formas, me ha gustado más que X-Men Noir, pero sigue sin parecerme tan bueno para darla más puntos.
Post Identical
L'ambiance est bien balancée grâce au dessin, Cp Smith a des moments elliptiques qui donnent un tour pop aux années folles. Le scenario est classique, un peu trop, mais du coup abordable. Comparé à x-men noir, c'est bien moins du foutage de gueule. Pas un tome un indispensable, mais une révision plutôt réussie d'un personnage surexploité.
Richard
Jan 15, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wolverine never had much of a character to start with, and his immense popularity seems to have led to it being stretched thinner in a hundred different directions. This is a decent enough Sin City style tale but there's no need for Wolverine to be in it.
Caleb Abel
Jun 12, 2014 Caleb Abel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mike-bc, comics-2014
Very good. Quick and easy and fun. Possibly my favorite of the Noir series so far. It was a very complete story that seemed true to the character, even though I only recognized a few ties to the original.
Jen
Oct 25, 2016 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was disappointing. It did not feel very true to the characters, the story was forced (and boring). I feel like there could have been so much potential for this, and it was a let-down.
Bertrand
Apr 26, 2014 Bertrand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un vrai petit plaisir à lire avec un verre de whisky et une bande originale adéquate (celle de L.A. Noire convient parfaitement).
Samantha
Jun 02, 2012 Samantha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars if I could. Not great, but it's a coherent story, pretty enjoyable but lacklustre overall.
zackxdig
Aug 19, 2014 zackxdig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool story, exactly how I was hoping it would be. He's a loner and had the world stacked against him. Perfect noir story with the hero left with nothing in the end except despair.
Suzanne Van Horn
Feb 02, 2011 Suzanne Van Horn rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The Noir series' detective format is cool but this is definitely not my favorite take on Wolverine. I would recommend it and the other Noir books to Frank Miller fans.
Varoujan Tanielian
Best Marvel Book I've Read So Far
Tristan Palmer
Feb 19, 2011 Tristan Palmer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn good. The first of Marvel's Noir series that I've read where the re-imagined superhero is actually a detective.
  • Spider-Man Noir: Eyes Without a Face
  • Wolverine: Goodbye, Chinatown
  • Wolverine: Origins & Endings
  • Essential Wolverine, Vol. 1
  • Wolverine: Enemy of the State
  • X-Men and Philosophy: Astonishing Insight and Uncanny Argument in the Mutant X-Verse
  • X-Men: Age of Apocalypse – The Complete Epic, Book 4
  • Gambit Classic, Vol. 1
  • Green Arrow, Volume 5: City Walls
  • X-Force, Volume 3: Not Forgotten

Wolverine Marvel Comics (1 - 10 of 217 books)
  • The Best of Wolverine, Vol. 1
  • Wolverine: Origin
  • Wolverine: Origin II
  • Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel Premiere Classic)
  • Wolverine: Season One