Jump to ratings and reviews

Elephant & Piggie #15

Should I Share My Ice Cream?

Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

In Should I Share My Ice Cream? Gerald has a big decision to make. But will he make it in time?

Using vocabulary that is perfect for beginning readers (and vetted by an early-learning specialist), Mo Willems has crafted a funny story about the challenges of doing the right thing. Fans of the Geisel Award-winning duo will eagerly eat it up!

64 pages, Hardcover

First published June 14, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mo Willems

253 books3,771 followers
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early readers, and published You Can Never Find a Rickshaw When it Monsoons, an annotated cartoon journal sketched during a year-long voyage around the world in 1990-91.

The New York Times Book Review called Mo “the biggest new talent to emerge thus far in the 00's."

Mo’s work books have been translated into a myriad of languages, spawned animated shorts and theatrical musical productions, and his illustrations, wire sculpture, and carved ceramics have been exhibited in galleries and museums across the nation.

Mo began his career as a writer and animator for television, garnering 6 Emmy awards for his writing on Sesame Street, creating Nickelodeon's The Off-Beats, Cartoon Network’s Sheep in the Big City and head-writing Codename: Kids Next Door.

He lives in Brooklyn, New York with his family.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 623 reviews
Profile Image for Tim.
476 reviews611 followers
April 14, 2022
Another one of the many Elephant and Piggie adventures, though fans of Piggie may be a bit disappointed in this one, as it focuses almost entirely on Gerald the elephant with Piggie only appearing mostly in a few thought bubbles and then at the end.

The plot is simple (as all of them are), Gerald buys an ice cream and then debates on whether to share it with his friend Piggie. His inner conflict is voiced until he finally comes to a decision… though with a bit of a twist.

My daughter adores this one and thinks it's hilarious. She particularly likes the pages where Gerald goes "hmmmm" like he's thinking then it turns into just "mmmm" like a yummy noise. It's actually a really nice visual gag as you can see the expression on his face go from thoughtful to hungry.

Not my favorite of the books (while I appreciate the lesson on sharing, I question the appeal of sharing an ice cream bite for bite with a friend), but my daughter loves this one. 3/5 stars.
Profile Image for Matt.
3,718 reviews12.8k followers
June 30, 2018
Elephant and Piggie is a wonderful series that Neo has grown to love over the last few weeks. In this piece, Gerald purchases an ice cream for himself on a hot day. While walking home, he wonders if he ought to have purchased an ice cream for his best friend, Piggie. He struggles to decide if sharing his ice cream is in his best interest and whether Piggie would even want a lick or two. Extrapolating this, Gerald struggles to determine if sharing his ice creams might buoy Piggie’s spirits after a sad day. Just as he is making a decision, something happens that turns his excitement to depression. Bemoaning what’s happened, Gerald is surprised when Piggie comes along and has a special surprise that changes things for everyone. Neo laughed and pointed to the photos throughout this piece, which kept him excited until the very end. Go on, try this series out for yourself and introduce a child to the wonderful world of Elephant and Piggie!
Profile Image for Archit.
824 reviews3,224 followers
October 29, 2016

But so will Gerald?

He is surrounded by dubiety.

Shall he or shall he not share the ice cream with Piggie !

" Perhaps in their teenage, Gerald and Piggie will share food more often - not because of maturity - but rather to check if it's poisoned. "

Regardless this teenage version would be another hit, as is the case with Mo. Touches only gold !

The cuteness with which his incertitude and subsequent decision making follows is a hallmark of Mo Willems.
Profile Image for Sophia Triad.
2,239 reviews3,452 followers
April 17, 2019
Gerald learns how to share.
We all know how hard is for toddlers and KG children to learn how to share.
This book can start a very useful dialogue with your kid about the importance of sharing.
Profile Image for midnightfaerie.
1,945 reviews122 followers
June 28, 2013
Sharing is something everyone in our family struggles with and food is no exception. Willems does a wonderful job of showing the different sides to sharing, from the benefits to the guilt. The attractively simple illustrations makes this appropriate for all ages. If you're looking for a good beginner's reading book, this is a solid level 1 reading that any kid will enjoy. Watching the tension build as the ice cream begins to melt and the elephant struggles with his conscience is amusing and something my children could easily relate to. A good lesson mixed in with a marvelous story puts this in our favorites pile.
Profile Image for Mo.
139 reviews37 followers
December 9, 2014
NO DON'T SHARE YOUR ICE CREAM GERALD THAT'S CRAZY!
Profile Image for Karis.
135 reviews51 followers
October 29, 2018
I love the Piggie & Elephant books, probably way more than I should considering I’m a senior in highschool. But the simple stories with their engaging plotlines and dear comradery pull on my heart and capture my imagination beautifully. In Should I Share My Ice Cream, Gerald is faced with the moral dilemma of sharing vs. simply enjoying the pleasure of a whole cone on a hot day himself. He goes back and forth, finally deciding that Piggie would do the same for him and might even be longing for ice cream more than him, but…. has he waited too long to share, and is he the only one with a compassionate heart?

I definitely recommend these simple and straightforward little dramatic picture books that so attractively paint the beauty of a real friendship.
Profile Image for Soplada.
240 reviews372 followers
March 20, 2016
Elephant & Piggie Book

عن أنس بن مالك رضي الله عنه أن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال:
“لا يُومن أحدكم حتى يحب لأخيه ما يُحب لنفسه”
“One is not a true believer until he wishes for others what he wishes for himself.”
― Prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon him
:D

Profile Image for Chadi Raheb.
328 reviews349 followers
April 16, 2023
What is this?! Of course you shouldn’t share a delicious mint chocolate ice cream with a-ny-one! Duh! 🙄
Profile Image for Kiah Ballard.
50 reviews
July 12, 2015
I think Gerald and Piggie's friendship is a good example of how children can treat their friends in the classroom. This book is great to spark up discussions about sharing. After reading this book I would ask the children what are some of the ways Gerald could have shared his ice cream with piggie.
Profile Image for Ivonne Rovira.
1,895 reviews196 followers
May 21, 2021
Should I Share My Ice Cream? proves much more charming than I expected. While the ending is utterly predictable, that doesn't take away from Elephant's tortured philosophizing. Great for adults as well as kids.
Profile Image for Robin.
31 reviews5 followers
January 31, 2018
Ice cream is my favorite thing. I was able to relate to the intense personal conflict felt by Gerald.
Profile Image for Kylie Psaila.
213 reviews44 followers
July 20, 2019
Such a great short story to introduce children on how to share and that sharing is caring. I will definitely read this to the children in class.
Profile Image for James.
22 reviews
March 5, 2018
This book is hardly realistic the elephant spends way too long trying to figure out if he should share his ice cream with the pig. To any person, it is very clear that he shouldn't, as we can assume that he paid for his ice cream, which means he deserves it. Also, elephants can eat up to 200-600 pounds of food per day. While some pigs eat even more than this amount, elephants are much more selective about their food. Looking at the background of the book, we can come to the conclusion that food is very scarce in their world, and any amount of food the elephant can eat is very valuable. Pigs will eat almost anything, therefore making it more important for elephant to eat the ice cream. Along with this, the elephant should have known that the ice cream would have melted if he took too long to eat it. He basically wasted the ice cream, which using the observations we recorded of the book's background, we can assume that sugar, and the ice cream itself are valuable commodities. This means that the elephants wasted many valuable resources they could have used.
If we want to theorize, it is possible that the elephant purposely sabotaged his friend, the pig. Looking closely, we can see many clues to why this is true. It can be assumed that ice cream would cost a lot in a food deprived wasteland, meaning that the pig would have to pay a lot for it. It is possible that the pig was watching the ice cream melt, and felt bad for the elephant. Since it is possible that the elephant wasted the ice cream, we can believe that he is purposely trying to drain the pig's resources. Of course, this is just a theory, and may not be true without further investigation.

Overall i'd give it a 5/5
1,140 reviews
June 11, 2011
Should I Share My Ice Cream? (Elephant and Piggie) by Mo Willems is another entry in the popular beginning reader series about two excitable, enthusiastic best friends.

Should I Share My Ice Cream? is just what beginning readers need, a funny book with repetition, large varied type, and funny illustrations. It's a book about friendship that kids will enjoy (and parents will enjoy reading and laugh at too.) I love Gerald's small print comment "I blew it". Gerald's sudden realization that "That was not my plan" is very funny.

Willems employs expressive illustrations of his two characters to move the story along. The small penguin selling ice cream is pretty funny. Willems shows the ice cream cone melting as Gerald mulls over his choices. The plaintive picture of Gerald screaming "Nooooooooooooo!" is a classic.

I obtained a signed copy of this book at the 2011 BEA.

This is a series to savor. For beginning readers K and up, friendship, humor, and fans of Gerald, Piggie, and Mo Willems.
Profile Image for Joan.
1,995 reviews
September 20, 2012
I read this during story time to two coworkers in hopes that some kids would appear. We just changed the day for story time. My coworkers enjoyed the book even though they were adults and I suspect one may buy it for her grandchildren. Elephant is trying to decide whether to be generous or greedy with his ice cream until the inevitable happens. Then Piggie enters the story in a reversal of what Elelphant had imagined while trying to decide what to do. Really delightful, apparently for most ages!
Profile Image for E.
762 reviews
April 30, 2015
The existential crisis Gerald is obviously experiencing on this excellent cover, reminiscent of "The Thinker," is nothing short of hilarious. #firstworldkidproblems

This series continually exceeds expectations.
Profile Image for Gideon.
187 reviews2 followers
November 6, 2012
it was a great book. elephant was SO funny like when he though about piggy and the ice cream wile it melted.
1,035 reviews116 followers
December 24, 2017
Gerald has the best of intentions regarding sharing his ice cream, but in the end, it’s Piggie who saves the day
Profile Image for Cameron.
21 reviews
Read
March 22, 2018
this is a great fluency book that is very interesting.
Profile Image for Faloni ©.
2,127 reviews5 followers
March 20, 2019
Students in our classroom seen this hardcover at the school book fair this afternoon and after reading it they ask “can we act out the story?” Is it better to get or to give? Let’s see what happens.
683 reviews80 followers
December 18, 2022
Armas viis, kuidas õpetada jagama.
Profile Image for Cathy.
301 reviews3 followers
August 25, 2011
Elephant and Piggie books rarely disappoint and this one is no exception. The language is simple and repetitive and carefully placed against the grey background of speech bubbles. The rest of the page is full of white space and Elephant trying to decide whether or not he should share his very favorite ice cream with his very best friend. When the inevitable happens, what with all the dancing and gesticulating and torturous decision making, the surprise ending leaves everyone - readers, listeners and characters alike - with a smile on their faces and ready to share some ice cream with a friend.
Profile Image for Karl .
459 reviews11 followers
December 12, 2018
Just a quick note. I’m a 49 year old educator. In my free time after work I read a lot. I read for pleasure and I read professionally. For the past 6 weeks I’ve dug deep into the school’s library to explore children’s literature. This has been rewarding and enlightening and it has helped me to better understand the young minds of my students. I’ve read about 125 books so far and I have hundreds more to go. I usually brew tea, play some light music in the background and kick back. Willems stuff is top notch in my opinion. Parents and teachers that read to their kids/ students should include these on heavy rotation.
Profile Image for C.A..
Author 1 book25 followers
July 9, 2011
Can Mo Willems write a bad book? So far the answer remains no, he can't. This one finds Gerald asking himself a very important question: Should I Share My Ice Cream? Gerald being Gerald, he overthinks things with not so great results. Fortunatly Piggy arrives to save the situation. Sweet and perfect for summer, you will enjoy this book, no matter your age.
Profile Image for Kate.
562 reviews
July 2, 2016
Elephant and Piggie are always a win with the littles. In Should I Share my Ice Cream, Elephant learns a valuable lesson about sharing with his friends in a fun way that had my storytime laughing. They especially loved the part where Elephant bemoans his melted ice cream with a drawn out, "NOOOOOOO".
Profile Image for Cheryl .
9,255 reviews398 followers
January 17, 2020
Ice cream is pretty hard to share. But these cuties manage it, in a unexpected way! I think that one of the reasons that this series is so popular is because we don't always predict exactly what's going to happen. Also the fonts that say so much about how to read the text are just funny.

(What a delight to find a new-to-me episode in the series after all this time. :)
Profile Image for Christine Grant.
1,885 reviews9 followers
June 16, 2022
January 2018
Eating/Food Story Time. Elephant has some ice cream. Should he share it with his best friend Piggy? He just can't decide...

June 2018
Still a winner with preschoolers.

July 2018
Ice Cream Story Time.

July 2019
Ice Cream Story Time
Profile Image for Joy.
1,580 reviews11 followers
April 1, 2018
Sharing is hard. Really hard. There's always that part deep down that wants to hog EVERYTHING! So, when Gerald gets some ice cream (from the Ice Cream Penguin) he has an existential quandary about whether or not he should share it with his bestest buddy or just eat it all himself.

Displaying 1 - 30 of 623 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.