Start by marking “The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable” as Want to Read:
The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable

The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable

Rare Book
Published October 20th 2005 by Portfolio (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Moo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Moo

Start your review of The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
David
sweet lord Mother of God, what was I thinking? Hard to imagine that there's a worse insult to the intelligence out there than the 'Who Moved my Cheese?' scam, but this book may just qualify.

I may actually burn this book, in some kind of ritual immolation sacrifice.

Updated Feb 15th. I posted the following, more detailed review on Amazon.com. Only to receive a creepy e-mail from Seth Godin, the editor, offering me a refund of the purchase price. I declined.

I don't know what came over me in the b
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Attending a work convention, I didn't know what to expect. Seth Godin was one of the presenters. He was dynamic, energetic and motivating. Based on his "Purple Cow" talk, one of my co-workers recommended I read the Big Moo. I wish I read this book ten years ago. Many of the concepts in this book were hard learned lessons through my experiences. Then again, if I read this ten years ago, would I have really paid close attention to what he said or just scoffed?

The good part is that most of his witt
Gisela Hausmann
Originally I rented this book’s audio edition from my library so I could listen to it while exercising. Loved the book so much that I purchased the hardcover.

This may be Seth Godin’s best book , even better than the ‘purple cow’. And, yes, It is Godin’s book because he conceived the idea and talked all 33 (or better: 32 + himself) into writing this book.

The book’s concept is a genius. The topic is the Big Moo, which cannot be defined by one single person. The Big Moo is not a riddle but the fl
Daniel Swensen
I wanted to like this book, because overall I think Seth Godin is brilliant. I enjoyed the first half of The Big Moo, but after that it became something of a chore to read, even at its short length. Too many of the anecdotes are the same message, dressed up in parable:

"Here's the story of So-and-so, who did something amazing and invented $foo when $foo didn't exist. And that's what you have to do, because your competition invented $foo yesterday and tomorrow $foo will be obsolete and meaningles
Ron Widh
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What I didn't know was this book is actually a compilation of 33 authors, which includes Malcolm Gladwell, Guy Kawasaki and Seth himself. Some piece are stronger than others, while there are a few that are terribly weak and non-inspiring. It's difficult to enjoy this book due to its nature. There's no continuity between the chapters, and some barely stick to the theme.

Regardless, the book is for a good cause. All profit goes to charity. If you are looking for a book to get started to read up on
Emma
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
Trying to read a lot of business books to kick start my business for next year. This one just left me a little confused with small snippits of advice mixed in with stories. Some of the mantras were ok, but practice, practice, practice? Um yeah my mum told me that in year 3 (and always take time to read the questions in an exam, surprisingly that is the best advice I think I was given all the way through high school and Uni...) I read this instead of the purple cow as it isn't available at the mo ...more
Roland
Jul 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
33 successful people, 33 short writings.
All good advices on what to do or what not to do - how to be remarkable, how not to disappear, why you should never stop improving.

As usual, the book itself won't explain why the ideas would work for you.
But the people who wrote them are pretty successful people, and that would validate their points.
Unless your definition of success differs, in that case, you can disregard the advices.

And if you want a short summary of the book, here it is:
Work hard, be b
John
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
The Big Moo is Seth Godin's sequel to Purple Cow, where he argues that to create momentum, you need a disruptive idea that creates "wow" from observers. The Big Moo is supposed to be the "how to" follow up that explains how you create that anomalous cow. That is Godin's promise. But he doesn't deliver on that promise at all.

Instead, what you have in The Big Moo is a sort of grab bag of encouragement and wisdom from 33 business leaders. Unsurprisingly the wisdom of these leaders is disparate and
Mandi Ehman
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Here’s the thing: I don’t like collections of short essays and I know this about myself. But This Is Marketing wasn’t available in my Scribd account when I wanted to listen to it, and I love Seth Godin, so I took a risk.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t a risk that paid off. There were a few tidbits I appreciated, but for the most part I felt like it was too surface-y and all over the place. While I appreciate the wisdom that Seth packs into short posts on his blog, I didn’t feel like this book delivere
Matt Cannon
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. First of all, it’s a Seth Godin project, so you know it will be good. Second, he is collaborating with 33 other business leaders, authors, etc. who are some of the best at what they do. People such as Reid Hoffman, Mark Cuban, and Malcolm Gladwell just to name a few. The number of great stories and examples are numerous. It’s a follow up to his best seller, The Purple Cow. The lessons learned are super insightful and give the reader an edge over just about everyone el ...more
Jeeshan Mirza
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Overrated. Saw this in many "Top Marketing Books Of All Time" lists. Seth Godin has one central idea and he rambles about it throughout the book. There is no logical structure or sequence-written like he accumulated many blog posts. The key idea is not original either-repackaged, inspired by Geoffrey Moore's "Crossing The Chasm", and bits and pieces of Godin's other work.
Can someone gain something out of this? Not exactly, but if you have read the work of Geoffrey Moore, Al Ries, Jack Trout-thi
Abbie Miller
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, non-fiction
I listened Seth Godin read this collection of essays. I’ve decided that he could read the phone book and I’d listen intently. But really, I enjoyed this bunch of vignettes and stories and insights. I especially liked that in the audio version, they left out the author of each section so as to minimize that information as a distraction.
Doug
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This is essentially just a book full of advice about ways to be remarkable. Some of the advice is remarkable, some of it is just so-so. If you're looking for a bunch of quick stories to use as a pep talk to get started, one of these might connect with you.
Powerofthehero
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Many inspiring short stories and text's written by several people who have found success in their field of career. Motivational read to with many takeaways to anybody, whom wants to their business to flourish.
Alanood Almisbah
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book is full of direct messages. It started with "It's either you're remarkable or invisible"
and "Real security comes from growth" and then concluded with "Readiness is overrated" and simply "Start".
Jeremy Alan Graves
Great insights from some amazing people

Take a look at your life and ask yourself what is the value of getting inside some of the most beautiful minds of our generation. This is a MUST read for everyone you know!!
Sacha Black
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. A fascinating collection of short essays on business, mindset and marketing. A truly insightful and inspirational set of ideas though I think my personal preference would be for a more in-depth look at each idea.
Jack Oughton
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
As always, somewhat inspirational message and a good read, not too many practical/actionable takeaways.
Brad Lockey
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice concise book.
Lots of take aways and things you think about.
Amr Swalha
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seth Godin never stops of delivering great things that are remarkable and unique. This book (again)one of the books that help you to achieve new things in life and to really think outside the box.
Greg Lamothe
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I listened to the audiobook while I did daily tasks and that was about rhe level of attention it deserved. There were good tidbits but overall, nothing mindblowing. It was worth a go-through.
Heather Larcombe
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some good advice, some dreadful advice, lots of interesting stories.
Mahesh Sheshadri
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A profound book of self-less insights shared my the World's greatest influencers!
Alba
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Good ideas, but rather disorganized. Good if you are looking for a pep talk, but you won't find a system here.
Roderick
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was for me. Thank you Seth Godin. Enough said. I now need to go and publish...
Max Hinkley
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable. Short essays by a variety of influencers.
David
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good read that still has relevancy. There are a lot of short chapters but each has valuable content when it comes to providing insights on how you can become remarkable.
Russell Yarnell
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great little collection of thoughts and stories.
Paul
I review this book somewhat in a wrap-up video from March of 2019: https://youtu.be/zQsXPk2R9Mk ...more
Justin Jeppesen
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Surface level book, with surface level content. There are some memorable illustrations and examples though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm
  • Business Model Generation
  • Ready, Fire, Aim: Zero to $100 Million in No Time Flat
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • How to Make Millions with Your Ideas: An Entrepreneur's Guide
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Free Prize Inside!: The Next Big Marketing Idea
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.
  • Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got: 21 Ways You Can Out-Think, Out-Perform, and Out-Earn the Competition
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Meatball Sundae: Is Your Marketing Out of Sync?

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »