Start by marking “The Next Place” as Want to Read:
The Next Place

The Next Place

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  483 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
"The Next Place" is an inspirational journey of light and hope to a place where earthly hurts are left behind. An uncomplicated journey of awe and wonder to a destination without barriers.
Published August 5th 2002 by Waldman House Press (first published September 1997)

Christy
The chaplain at the hospital told John and me about this book. You see, he'd given her permission to read some of what he'd written down for me, to be read after he died, and something in what he wrote made her think of this book. I ordered it immediately. As soon as it arrived, we got in the habit of me reading it aloud to him at night before bed. Except, he fell asleep before I could read it that last night. So, in the morning when I woke to find him gone, I read it to him then.

I have continue
Julie
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a great picture book which i interpret as being about life after death. Or if not life, then the thing that is after death but is not life (as we know it). I am going to read it at my Gran's funeral.
Mekiah Johnson
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
I liked this book. I thought it was good.
I liked its portrayal of Heaven.
I liked how it made you sit on something for a while, and after its sinked in you got it. It wasn't like most picture books, where it's just simple and flat out there. There are things hidden in-between the lines, and I love it!
Not to mention the book itself is beautiful! Awesome designs!
Although I wish the pages did have some full-on illustrations, I also think that the simplistic illustrations already shown do match t
Emily
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK! It’s full of mystery without being specifically religious. We dream of death not being the end - and The Next Place shares this hope.
Mary Mckelvin
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was very emotional book for my me ,my daughter and granddaughter. I lost my mom on April 3rd. This book is very inspirational and clear about what happens to a person after the body is no longer able to hold ones spirit.
SJ
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We all die. So why do so many work so hard not to talk about it? This absolutely beautiful illustrated book tackles what happens after death in a lovely comforting beautiful way. I found, as an adult, it was just what I needed during a difficult time to put into perspective how we are all connected to one another. It makes this book equally a good gift for an adult who has lost someone, as it is as a tool to talk about death with a child.

Different groups will not like this book for different rea
Magpie67
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful poem about traveling to Heaven. Simply put "The body I once lived in won't be part of me at all. I will finally be perfect. I will be without a flaw. I will never make one more mistake, or break the smallest law. And the me that was impatient, or was angry or unkind, will simply be a memory. The me I left behind. I will travel empty-handed. There is not a single thing I have collected in my life that I would ever want to bring except... the love of those who loved me, and the wa ...more
Marissa Elera
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a truly stunning work and the best children's book explaining the afterlife that I have ever read. Suitable for families with a variety of beliefs.
Mel
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written and illustrated book for all ages. It gave me a sense of peace after the loss of a loved one.
Amanda Vander hyde
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book reads almost as a poem or invocation, and examines what life after death might be like. It is a good book for children to read because of the beautiful language that they can decipher and use in their own writing, allowing for more exposure. It is also just a remarkably beautiful book, even though it may have religious undertones that are not practical for today's day and age in the classroom. However, it does help discuss the topic of death, especially with those who are afraid of wha ...more
Chelsea
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book came to me at a time I needed it most... after my cousin's suicide. It was a purely accidental find, and the moment I opened it I felt that it had been written for me. Something I was meant to stumble upon. Since then I've recommended it to a number of others struggling with finding beauty in the dark times.
Kate's Reads
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book to give to children and even adults when someone they love has died. It is truly beautiful. I will read it over and over again.
Gina
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and illustrated picture book dealing with the death of a loved one!
Kalen Clark
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great for ANYone looking for some comfort surrounding what happens after it all happens.
Ending Well
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A comforting exploration of “the next place” without dogma or religious overtones.
Celia
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book covers the difficult subject of death without a specific religion in mind. This is a narrative of what happens after we die that takes on a peaceful and comforting standpoint. I've only used this book a few times with kids and I think that it does an excellent job of not promoting one belief system over another. In this way it also utilizing concepts of peace and tranquility to help kids understand it concretely.
For children, death can be scary and abstract. For kids who lose people t
Taryn Barnstead
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book The Next Place by Warren Hanson depicts the challenge of grieving death. Throughout the story it explains how a loved ones final days before death can be painful but once the person passes they are free and out of pain. It explains how once a person approaches heaven they cannot be judged anymore, they are whole and that they are neither a boy nor girl, just them. The story ends by allowing the ill person to spread their wings and fly off allowing for peace and harmony forever.
I feel th
Heidi
Mar 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Summary: The Next Place is an inspirational journey of light and hope to a place where earthly hurts are left behind. An uncomplicated journey of awe and wonder to a destination without barriers.
Lose yourself in the uplifting sense of comfort and serenity. Embrace the joyful spirit of oneness. Then pour yourself into the lives of those you love.
The Next Place is, above all, a celebration of life. Hear the music. Feel the warmth. And be carried away along life's everlasting flight. Thanks Goodrea
The Book Maven
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I admit, I'm a little uncertain about this book. It's clearly a book (an exquisitely-illustrated book, at that) about death and dying and What Comes Next. At no point does it explicitly mention religion, or God, or spirituality--I am pretty sure that it doesn't even identify What Comes Next as Heaven. In fact, the only thing that I DO object to is that this book tells me that there won't be seasons "there." I WANT there to be seasons!

However. If your child or a child you are close to is trying t
Sara Furr
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It is a beautiful way to explain death to children and adults. My daughter brought this home from the school library when she was in 3rd grade, having chosen it due to the illustrations on the cover. We read it together and I found myself feeling comforted, believing there is a "next place" but not always being sure about what or where it is. Now as I travel the road of grief again, I have read and re-read this book. I even read this to my sister who is terminally ill and we we ...more
Cheryl
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, any age, who is dealing with grief
The most perfect book for anyone dealing with death. Altho it is a children's book, I think it is perfect for adults, as well, especially when the frief is new. This book speaks to the heart - when it is the heart that is breaking. Self help books on grief are better read 6 months or so after a death has been experienced. They will speak to your mind, when your mind is ready to understand the grieving process.
Fascinating! This book talks about the after life basically without actually coming out and tying it to any religion. This would be a great book to try to soothe a child who has recently experienced a death in the family or something like that, or if the child just asks about what happens after one dies. I'm not sure I would have this in the classroom, but it is a great book that student's parents might choose to read.
Rachel
Oct 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Poetic and poignant book explores what "The Next Place" will be like. While nicely open to interpretation, the author does assure young readers that their bodies will be left behind, that every material thing they ever had will be left behind, but that all the love and relationships, laughter and memories will be there. At times bittersweet, this ends up as a moving exploration of change, renewal, and regeneration outside the bounds of our earthly lives.
Arin Williams
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This books uses rhyme, full-page mixed media illustrations, and stylized text to create a peaceful journey into the next place; it seems to be a metaphor for traveling to Heaven or a similar afterlife. The author describes leaving behind a physical form, worldly possessions, and all imperfection; all they will take is the love and friendship found during their lifetime. The ambiguity of the language used allows for application with individuals of all walks of life. 32 pages.
Angelica
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
It talks about what is the next place we after we pass away. The pictures are very vibrant and peaceful as you read the story. Taking on the approach is this the place I've dreamed of. Will you glide on rainbows or will the hours pass by. This is a very peaceful and inspirational journey book.

Great for grades K-2nd

Great as a topics to talk about.

Great for kids who have questions about topics like death
Tori Biles
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book. I actually did not realize, though, that this book is referring to death and probably heaven until I was a little older. I love how the words just flow while you read it. I also really like the pictures, and how they seem so vast and serene. This book always has a calming effect on me when I read it and I think that children would find that it would also calm them.
Rachel Placchetti
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Age: Preschool-Elementary
Theme: death, suffering, acceptance

Essential reading for children suffering from grief. I think this book is appropriate for children experiencing the death of a loved one or a terminal illness, even their own. Does not explicitly mention Heaven and fits with a wide range of beliefs.
Deyanne
Having recently lost a loved one, this book was recommended to me. I found it uplifting, comforting and inspiring all at the same time. Filled with wonderful thoughts like: "I will be absolutely free of the things that I held onto that were holding onto me" makes me want to read and reread it. Wouldn't be marvelous if we could create a heaven on earth in our hearts and homes!

Wendy
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a really nicely illustrated and thoughtful book, with a peaceful and hopeful air about it. I liked it quite a bit and would recommend it for anyone facing the passing of a loved one. It is very non-denominational, I felt. I consider myself agnostic, and enjoyed it for the atmosphere it created as well as the lovely illustrations. Highly recommend.
Roxanne
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have purchased several of these books and given them to individuals who have lost a loved one.

My purpose is to have them read it and for just a small amount of time take them away from their pain of losing someone.

It is a quick read for those who have a hard time concentrating because of the loss they have experienced.
  • When Dinosaurs Die: A Guide to Understanding Death
  • I Miss You: a First Look at Death (First Look at Books)
  • Piano Starts Here: The Young Art Tatum