Start by marking “Dreaming in Libro: How a Good Dog Tamed a Bad Woman” as Want to Read:
Dreaming in Libro: How a Good Dog Tamed a Bad Woman

Dreaming in Libro: How a Good Dog Tamed a Bad Woman

A woman meets an amber-eyed, sixty-pound boxer in a city park and falls in love. Their first year honeymoon was a discovery of each other’s idiosyncrasies-morning dog or evening dog? Television watcher or reader? Then life settles into routine and the once rebelliously high-spirited, independent woman and her bilingual comedian of a dog realize that they’re “happily stuck ...more
Published June 12th 2007 by Da Capo Press (first published June 11th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming in Libro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming in Libro

Lisa Bittle
Feb 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is not a typical book I'd read. It came to me from a friend, and I read it. It is about a woman who takes in a stray dog in NYC, and how the dog changes her life. It's different for sure. It contains totally in appropriate thoughts, words, and activities in it, for a Christian minded, God fearing woman. I'd not recommend this book at all. Yikes.
Freda
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The greatest book of all time. Of all time!

Man does not live by bread alone, but a writing woman needs a dog.

Especially, for me and for this writer, a boxer.
Jeannie
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Shelves: i-own
This second book about Libro was just as good as the first one Bark If You Love Me but much more emotional. I got ahold of a mis-printed book where 25 pages were missing in the middle of the book so felt I missed out on some of her story but that is neither here or there. If you're a dog lover, as I am, you will relate to much of this book. I was crying way before the ending knowing what was coming. She was much more together with it than I would be. I enjoyed both of this authors books about Li ...more
Marcela
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, to say the least, and full of funny stories, but also with moments when the writer makes you think about your own dog and life itself. This is the story of a woman who fell in love with a beautiful dog named Libro. I’d venture to say that Libro was the author’s soul mate in the dog world. She was a better person because of Libro and although a lot of her freedom to come and go was diminished, she did not seem to mind it very much. It made me laugh hard, but it also made me cry ha ...more
Megan
Sep 23, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: cold, cold people who like to laugh at others?
I read this for work, and am only putting it on my goodreads to warn the rest of you; the narrator does draw you close into her world, but, honestly, you probably don't want to be there. If you're looking for a cool (and moving) personal-non-fiction-with-a-dog-attached book, read "Travels With Charley" by John Steinbeck.
Meri
Jan 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers, animal people
What an emotional story about the writer and her unexpected companion, Libro. The cover caught my eye at the library, due to the very handsome boxer (I myself had one, Trevor) on it. This was a very fast read; funny, sad, and lovely.
Irene
Apr 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers, non-dog lovers who want to "get" what it is about dogs that people love
Being a dog lover, I relate to most books that tell the story of human-canine partnerships. This book was no exception, and the dog in question sounds like he was exceptional too. However the book as a whole was not an exceptional IMHO.
Laurie
Sep 03, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of language and/or dogs
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
The way Louise Bernikow writes made this an enjoyable read. She is a non-doggy person who suddenly adopts a young boxer. Her descriptions of how Libro helped her to become a better person and their adventures together were almost musical.
Cindy
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Follow on book to Bark If You Love me. Author, a single NY city woman finds and inexplicably adopts a stray boxer. Her adventures with the NY dog culture, the love of a dog, and (or course) a sad ending. Spoiler: all dog book series end sadly. Dogs do not live as long as humans.
Alicia
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful and well written account of a woman and her dog. It was very funny how she takes you through the stages of this dog's life.
Auston
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I loved this memoir. I could relate to many parts of the story, especially when she described communicating to Libro without words.
Whitney
Sep 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
Just an account of the author taking her dog on book signings and nothing would happen. Very boring. I saw nothing of "How a good dog tamed a bad woman."
Danielle
Jun 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What a read!?! For anyone who loves dogs, especially rescued dogs, this is for you. I related to EVERYTHING in this book. Sobbed through the second half. Loved it, loved it, loved it.
Mariya
Oct 21, 2008 marked it as to-read
Lisa
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
curling up with this book feels a bit like curling up with a favorite pet - comforting.
Teresa
Aug 26, 2008 added it
I read this book and Bark If you love me in record time. The author is fluid, funny, and real.
Lauren
Jun 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lauren by: dog lovers
Great book for dog folks!
Retta
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book and the dog reminded me of my old dog Louie
Diane
Feb 26, 2008 rated it liked it
The story of how a rescued dog changed a woman's life for the better. I've read better written books about the same subject but if you can't get enough of this kind of thing, you'll enjoy this book.
Rhonda
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written book, will make you laugh and cry. A must read for all dog people.
Shoshana