Jump to ratings and reviews

Dreaming in Libro: How a Good Dog Tamed a Bad Woman

A woman meets an amber-eyed, sixty-pound boxer in a city park and falls in love. Their first year honeymoon was a discovery of each other’s idiosyncrasies-morning dog or evening dog? Television watcher or reader? Then life settles into routine and the once rebelliously high-spirited, independent woman and her bilingual comedian of a dog realize that they’re “happily stuck with each other.” In this witty, sharp memoir, Louise Bernikow charts eight years with Libro the boxer as they travel through Manhattan...and that thing called Life. From book tours to beach houses, from Libro’s training as pet therapist after 9/11 to his escapades on the campaign trail, Louise plays “Jack” to Libro’s “Jackie.” But as Louise all too soon discovers, the stray she rescued is domesticating her. A book about a modern family of two, about joy and grief, and realizing that the life you’ve made (even if it doesn’t include a wedding ring) is more than enough, Dreaming in Libro will bring a wagging tail to any reader.

216 pages, Hardcover

12 books3 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
7 (5%)
1 star
4 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 24 of 24 reviews
Profile Image for Lisa Bittle.
734 reviews13 followers
February 12, 2019
This is not a typical book I'd read. It came to me from a friend, and I read it. It is about a woman who takes in a stray dog in NYC, and how the dog changes her life. It's different for sure. It contains totally in appropriate thoughts, words, and activities in it, for a Christian minded, God fearing woman. I'd not recommend this book at all. Yikes.
Profile Image for Freda.
76 reviews
February 9, 2019
The greatest book of all time. Of all time!

Man does not live by bread alone, but a writing woman needs a dog.

Especially, for me and for this writer, a boxer.
Profile Image for Jeannie.
528 reviews24 followers
January 11, 2012
This second book about Libro was just as good as the first one Bark If You Love Me but much more emotional. I got ahold of a mis-printed book where 25 pages were missing in the middle of the book so felt I missed out on some of her story but that is neither here or there. If you're a dog lover, as I am, you will relate to much of this book. I was crying way before the ending knowing what was coming. She was much more together with it than I would be. I enjoyed both of this authors books about Libro, he was one of those "special" dogs we come across maybe once in our lives, the one that makes an impact, the one one who changes our life view. They were lucky to have "found" each other.
Profile Image for Marcela.
69 reviews1 follower
April 21, 2011
Excellent book, to say the least, and full of funny stories, but also with moments when the writer makes you think about your own dog and life itself. This is the story of a woman who fell in love with a beautiful dog named Libro. I’d venture to say that Libro was the author’s soul mate in the dog world. She was a better person because of Libro and although a lot of her freedom to come and go was diminished, she did not seem to mind it very much. It made me laugh hard, but it also made me cry hard. The writer accomplished what many artists set out to do: move people. Well written book.
Profile Image for Megan.
23 reviews1 follower
September 24, 2007
I read this for work, and am only putting it on my goodreads to warn the rest of you; the narrator does draw you close into her world, but, honestly, you probably don't want to be there. If you're looking for a cool (and moving) personal-non-fiction-with-a-dog-attached book, read "Travels With Charley" by John Steinbeck.
Profile Image for Birdie.
292 reviews
September 3, 2007
The way Louise Bernikow writes made this an enjoyable read. She is a non-doggy person who suddenly adopts a young boxer. Her descriptions of how Libro helped her to become a better person and their adventures together were almost musical.
Profile Image for Meri.
438 reviews46 followers
January 10, 2008
What an emotional story about the writer and her unexpected companion, Libro. The cover caught my eye at the library, due to the very handsome boxer (I myself had one, Trevor) on it. This was a very fast read; funny, sad, and lovely.
Profile Image for Irene.
490 reviews13 followers
April 19, 2011
Being a dog lover, I relate to most books that tell the story of human-canine partnerships. This book was no exception, and the dog in question sounds like he was exceptional too. However the book as a whole was not an exceptional IMHO.
Profile Image for Cindy.
956 reviews
August 8, 2013
Follow on book to Bark If You Love me. Author, a single NY city woman finds and inexplicably adopts a stray boxer. Her adventures with the NY dog culture, the love of a dog, and (or course) a sad ending. Spoiler: all dog book series end sadly. Dogs do not live as long as humans.
Profile Image for Kathy Govreau.
238 reviews4 followers
December 14, 2020
I loved both of her books about Libro. I think that going forward she should forget about any men who have baggage. A dog with baggage is much more loyal and trustworthy. I hope she got another dog.
Profile Image for Diane.
345 reviews11 followers
March 5, 2008
The story of how a rescued dog changed a woman's life for the better. I've read better written books about the same subject but if you can't get enough of this kind of thing, you'll enjoy this book.
Profile Image for Teresa.
69 reviews9 followers
Read
August 26, 2008
I read this book and Bark If you love me in record time. The author is fluid, funny, and real.
84 reviews
September 22, 2008
Just an account of the author taking her dog on book signings and nothing would happen. Very boring. I saw nothing of "How a good dog tamed a bad woman."
Profile Image for Alicia.
133 reviews
June 20, 2009
Wonderful and well written account of a woman and her dog. It was very funny how she takes you through the stages of this dog's life.
Profile Image for Danielle.
139 reviews5 followers
June 29, 2009
What a read!?! For anyone who loves dogs, especially rescued dogs, this is for you. I related to EVERYTHING in this book. Sobbed through the second half. Loved it, loved it, loved it.
Profile Image for Retta.
33 reviews1 follower
June 18, 2011
Amazing book and the dog reminded me of my old dog Louie
Profile Image for Rhonda.
315 reviews
October 6, 2012
Wonderfully written book, will make you laugh and cry. A must read for all dog people.
Profile Image for Auston.
16 reviews1 follower
May 2, 2013
I loved this memoir. I could relate to many parts of the story, especially when she described communicating to Libro without words.
Profile Image for Rosie Beck.
164 reviews2 followers
February 17, 2010
A charming book about a rescued boxer, Libro, and his woman--who didn't know she needed him.
Displaying 1 - 24 of 24 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.