Start by marking “Slagtebænk Dybbøl” as Want to Read:
Slagtebænk Dybbøl

Slagtebænk Dybbøl

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  348 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The Battle of Dybbol, 1864. Prussian troops lay siege to an outpost in the far south of Denmark. The conflict is over control of the Duchy of Schleswig, recently annexed by Denmark to the alarm of its largely German-speaking inhabitants. Danish troops make a valiant attempt to hold out but are overrun by the might of the Prussian onslaught. Of little strategic importance, ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by Gyldendal (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Slagtebænk Dybbøl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slagtebænk Dybbøl

Calzean
The TV series provides a dramatisation of the events of the Second Schleswig War. The book is a very detailed history which delves into European politics, the start of the Red Cross, medical practices of the time as well as the actual battles.
It is the telling of a classical butterfly effect - the mental problems of the Danish PM causes the war which causes Germany to form which causes......
The author uses a lot of diaries and letters from soldiers and officers from both sides. It is obvious the
Sean McLachlan
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. I've always been interested in the Dano-Prussian War, also known as the Second Schleswig War. In 1864, Prussia and Austria went to war against Denmark over control of the duchies of Schleswig and Holstein. The war led to Denmark losing the duchies and made Otto von Bismark's career, giving him the political clout invade France in 1870 and then unifying Germany.
So it's an important war, and this book is a popular-level but detailed look at the po
Jo
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard of the Danish-Prussian war until I came across this book in the library. This centres around the 1864 Battle of Dybbol and is drawn from eyewitness accounts and letters of the soldiers and their families. In some ways, it's beautiful because you get to hear the true story from the people who were there. It's also brutal and chilling in the way that war is. I'm no looking forward to seeing the tv show that is based on this history book.
Birgitte Bach
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-lydbøger
Fantastisk god og detaljeret historietime. Desværre kunne jeg bare ikke vænne mig til de forskellige stemmer, som oplæseren udstyrede personerne i bogen med og det trækker ned i min bedømmelse af oplevelsen af bogen.
Anna
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Meget læsevenlig historieformidling, både spændende, barsk og uhyggelig.
Christina
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2013
Velskrevet og grundig.
Insidebooks
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think you really had to see the TV series to be drawn to this. It is a great addition to the drama because it provides the historical and military details that add much more depth
SVRosenmeier
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Great book about the war in 1864 war in Denmark. It gives a nive perspective and an overview of what and why things happened. It is written as a kind of story which makes it very easy to keep up with.
Gareth
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I know little about Denmark. I have passed through Copenhagen airport on a number of occasions. I have tried to understand its geography but that gives me a headache. I'm aware that the Brits bombarded Copenhagen during the Napoleonic wars. I'm vaguely aware of Schleswig-Holstein as lying at the Danish-German border, but that's about it. And as for the Schleswig-Holstein Wars..... !

I downloaded 1864 on the basis of some good reviews but, because of my ignorance of this history, put off reading
Ian
1864 - and whilst blood ran in rivers across the United States, a now largely forgotten war took place in north-west Europe. Pitching little Denmark against the then Great Powers of Prussia and Austria, and usually referred to as The Second Schleswig War, it is also sometimes known as The First War of German Unification. It is that which provides the basis for the claim made on the book's cover.

This is one of those war histories that tries to tell the story from the perspective of the ordinary s
Chris Steeden
'The catalyst that set in motion the string of events leading to the war of 1864 was the signing into law of the November Constitution of 1863.' states the author Tom Buk-Swienty. The issue was two duchies of Schleswig and Holstein. They had been under the rule of the Danish king, but had not been subject to the Danish constitution which made policy-making difficult. The new constitution stipulated the incorporation of Schleswig into the kingdom, subjecting it to the Danish constitution, and the ...more
Anja
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: bogrummet, history, norse
Slagtebænk Dybbøl, som de danske soldater selv kaldte slagmarken de skulle forsvare den 18. april 1864, handler selvfølgelig om selve det blodige slag mellem Danmark og de to tyske stormagter Prøjsen og Østrig, hvor de kæmper om storhertugdømmerne Slesvig, Holsten og Lauenborg, men også om starten på Røde Kors, den uduelighed der herskede blandt de danske politikere og om forgangne slag - der giver en dyrbar forståelse for dette tabte slag.

Tom Buk-Swienty har skrevet en dokumentarisk beretning,
Shane Kiely
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book because it inspired the Danish tv series 1864, which after reading this book turns out to have been surprisingly accurate (though admittedly noone in the actual Danish army was able to do Jedi mind tricks or cure TB by punching a hole in a chest). Essentially this book is a detailed account of the decisive Battle of Dybbol during the 2nd Schleswig war between Denmark & the combined forces of the German Confederation. It's a borderline exhaustive account of the battle & ...more
Boulder Boulderson
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: History fans
This is a period of history that I, like most English people, have never studied and have no idea about. I found it really interesting to look at a unknown period.

The first third of the book is very confused, as it jumps in right at the day before the climactic battle. However it then goes back to cover the war from reasons to conclusions. It does assume a bit of knowledge already - it was originally written for a Danish audience of course so that does make sense.

The translation is solid; a coup
Gareth Evans
This appears to be written in the tradition of modern, popular histories, with the introduction of characters and their letters. However, it all falls apart a bit quickly as our carefully introduced characters get killed or located in the wrong places. Not the author's fault I guess. The other niggle is that my edition has a number of relatively easy-to-spot errors (okay 1964 for 1864 is a gimme, but there others) and this takes away from the perceived veracity of the work. It's possible that th ...more
Maurice Conchis
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Nu har jeg været med til slaget om Dybbøl. Og det er bogens rigtige fortjeneste, at den tager dig med, svævende over vandende, ned i skyttegraven og bag beslutningstagerenes borde. Imponerende research og dækket helt ind fra alle kanter.

Til tider springer den meget, nævner mange navne og gentager sig selv meget - med folk der får revet kæber af og dør alle steder. Det må også have været svært at skære fra efter al læsningen, men det havde i mine øjne klædt bogen med en mindre slankekur, og måsk
Stuart Jordan
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This visceral account of a little known conflict is everything you could want from a non-fiction historical book, retelling the events through the letters and diaries of those who took part.
Although the author is Danish there is no bias in the writing, drawing from both Danish and Prussian sources, as well as foreign volunteers, war correspondents and Red Cross observers.
I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the warfare and politics of the 19th Century and beyond into the early 20t
Ole Phillip
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Who needs fiction when history can be told in such a spellbinding, fast paced way? I read this and the follow up over my summer holidays, weather was just great for sitting in the garden re-visiting the war that completely changed Denmark's history and outlook. It is better than most fiction thrillers, I loved the way it is constructed, I appreciate the way old letters and diaries get "a voice" to counter the official version we all were taught at school. Excellent stuff and I have already lined ...more
Sidsel Pedersen
I think the interest level of this historical book was very very varied. Some chapters had me totally captured, while others bore me to enough to skip them. At the end it was very emotional and I accentually didn't want to read the last 50 pages before going to bed because it was so grim. And there were passages I skipped because they were to graphic.
Some chapters had a great deal of interesting historical materials - such as heart crossing letters from and to the soldiers. Other chapters - lik
Nicki
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting read regarding the gruesome war between Prussia and Denmark. The descriptions were very graphic. The only downside was I felt the structure of the book was unusual and in some areas of the book the English translation was a bit strange. It was interesting to read a subject that I've no knowledge about even though I had to Google the place names to get an idea of where places were.
Brian Haines
Watched the series on bbc2 and loved it. Knew nothing about this conflict even though I am a history graduate. I only knew about the Franco-Prussian war of the 1870s. Can't wait to delve into this book.
Fiona
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, history, 2015
You can read my review over on my blog, The Book Group if you want to find out why I gave it 5 stars.

Jacob Thomsen
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Den virker velresearchede og dokumenteret, men jeg synes jeg mangle Nogle detaljer ,der ikke så meget teknisk mht til Våben etc. Hvis der er skrevet 3000 bøger mm om krigen synes jeg godt man kunne gå lidt dybere ned, det virker nogle gange meget overfladisk. Ud over det, spændene læsning
Paulo Girão
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Norwegian version (360 pages). Reminds me a bit of "Poltava" from Peter Englund. A battles detailed description from both the german and the dansih point-of-view. Interesting for some people, but I can understand that some readers would find it too bloody.
Lynette Twaddle
A subject I had only really ever learned about in school, but this book shows the whole struggle in sympathetic and unbiased detail. An excellent read.
Ralyn Longs
Interesting topic, and the author manages to avoid being dry... but with the big drawback that this book is very poorly structured. Would not recommend.
Jens Hansen
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
Hvis man kender den ældre litteratur om emnet, så er denne bog bare et opkog, og derfor smager den også som en genopvarmet middag.
Alistair
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At least I now know where Schleswig is.
Tony
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Interesting because it accompanies the Danish TV series currently airing.
Thea Juhl Thorup
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jeg kan godt lide den. Den er velskrevet og researchet grundigt. Der kunne måske være lidt flere illustrationer men ellers nyder jeg den. Og jeg bryder mig normalt ikke om noget med krig..
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Tina
  • The Jungle Is Neutral (Classics of World War II: The Secret War)
  • Profeterne i Evighedsfjorden
  • Marathon: The Battle That Changed Western Civilization
  • The Military Institutions of the Romans
  • The Final Pagan Generation
  • The Generalship Of Alexander The Great
  • Hannibal (Military Library)
  • The Gallic War and Other Writings
  • Moral Combat: A History of World War II
  • The Global Cold War: Third World Interventions and the Making of Our Times
“It is remarkable that the Danish–German war therefore became the first war in history where at least one side lost more men to bullets than to disease – a milestone of sorts in the history of humanitarian work.” 0 likes