Start by marking “Parachutes & Kisses” as Want to Read:
Parachutes & Kisses

Parachutes & Kisses

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  626 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Married (again) and divorced (again), Isadora Wing is a single parent with an adorable daughter, an irritating ex-husband, and a startling assortment of suitors: an unorthodox rabbi, a poetic disc jockey, the son of a famous sex therapist, and WASPily handsomest of all: Berkeley Sproul III. Isadora and Berkeley meet at a health club, and he's fourteen years her junior. Of
Published August 3rd 2006 by Tarcherperigee (first published October 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Parachutes & Kisses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parachutes & Kisses

Chris
Oct 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women who have had a C-section
I was in high school when Fear of Flying came out and reading it was a bit of a rite of passage. Most of us, lacking any actual sex scenes of our own, read about Isadora's without any informed idea as to their accuracy. I read Parachutes & Kisses in my mid-twenties, and it has a special spot in my memory for how accurate it was. Not about sex. To be honest, I don't remember what I thought of the sex in the book at all. However, in my mid-twenties I gave birth to my daughter by C-section, rig ...more
John
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Parachutes and Kisses is the third in a series of related "autobiographical novels" by Erica Jong. As with the others, P&K is filled with wonderful insights and many fine sentences. I like reading Erica Jong a lot.

My favorite sequence is when the heroine, Isadora Wing, is in the Soviet Union (before its fall, when it was still the big bad bear) to research the background of her late grandfather, who left Odessa as a teenager.

But the pleasure of this novel is offset for me, at least a little
Z
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
I've always loved Erica Jong and have often said that reading her has felt like sharing notes with a sister, but Parachutes and Kisses didn't quite cut it for me. It dragged on far too long, and made Isadora Wing seem far less independent and likeable than the first two books in the series did. Though judging the book by the likeability of its protagonist may be unfair - it's never been Isadora's job to be something as plebeian as likeable, and Jong is very honest, sometimes embarrassingly so, a ...more
Tracimaster
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Many different reviews on here. The way I see it, if you didn't like it, it wasn't time for you to read it. It crossed your path too soon. If you loved it (like me), the timing was perfect. I think it was my favorite of the three.
it's me
Dec 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: shithouse, abandoned
Now that Jong has totally lost the plot politically by calling Bernie Sanders a "sexist asshole" for staying in the race (that's a deep level of analysis there, Jong!), I can finally be honest about what I thought of this book, which I abandoned about a third of the way in.

It was not a short and easy read, but not because it contained complicated prose and deep ideas, but because it was so incredibly PAINFUL AND BORING.

Observe, the slow, whiny literary murder of Isadora Wing!

Yeah, if you ever
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
The main reason I'm not giving this book just one star is because I didn't completely loathe it, but I certainly did not like it very much. So perhaps I'd give it 1 1/2 stars.

Ms. Jong should've stopped writing about Isadora White Stollerman Wing Ace when readers only knew her as Isadora Wing in "Fear of Flying." The more I've read about Isadora the more love sick, desperate, needy, man-hungry, and all around annoying she became.

I think one of the major faults of "Parachutes and Kisses" is that t
Kathe
Aug 31, 2015 added it
Parts of this book are laugh-out-loud hilarious, and parts are absolutely maddening. It came out in 1984, sequel to the much-ballyhooed Fear of Flying, and our heroine, Isadora Wing, is clearly Jong's alter ego. She's recently separated from husband number three, a perpetual adolescent she's still pining for, and has a three-year-old daughter she purports to love dearly but who gets very lost in the shuffle. The shuffle of Isadora's sex life, that is - described in exhaustive (sometimes exhausti ...more
Monica
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: women-s-lit
Erica Jong is one of my favorite authors, and of all her books this is by far the worst (or maybe I'm just not the right audience). Usually teeming with equal parts sex and introspection, this book was mostly about how women change after motherhood (boring) and about finding oneself again after heartbreak (blah).
Laine
Jan 06, 2009 rated it liked it
I might not have finished this book if I did not get the flu and long periods of time to read it. I did not like it as much as the previous two. She is truly an intelligent and interesting writer. Once I got used to the abundance of c-words, I enjoyed the plot and the tangents.
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Jillian, Marie
Not NEARLY as entertaining as Fear of Flying or How to Save Your Own Life, which was disappointing. Isadora grows up, and its pretty boring and sad. I guess thats reality, though.
Lilia
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
My all time favorite character written by my all time favorite author. What's not to love? If you haven't read "Fear of Flying" yet don't even go here.
Rose
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 1985 when I was sixteen. My High School English teacher recommended it.
Katie Fox
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing

"One must look, but one must also leap. One MUST go a-roving late into the night."
April
Jul 28, 2008 added it
Shelves: abandoned
I've finally put this one to rest. It is too darn long with not much happening. Some parts of it I just loved but I can't seem to get through it no matter what I do.
Melissa
Jul 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
OMG I KNOW WHERE FIFTY SHADES OF GREY GOT THE IDEA FOR THE TAMPON SCENE.

If you thought the tampon scene from Fifty was gross, then wait till you hear about this one. It's beyond nasty.

If you want to read the nastiness that is the tampon scene, click here -> (view spoiler)
Sonia Reppe
This is one of the sequels to Fear of Flying. Isadora is now 39, has a young daughter, and her husband of seven years, envious of Isadora's successful career as a writer, has left.

Isadora takes lovers and pines for Josh, and contemplates the liberated woman's problems. I love Isadora's thoughtful ruminations. Every scene of action is made all the better with Isadora's inner reflections and observations, which are perceptive and witty.

One of the ironies Isadora ponders is that the women who "hav
Joanne
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erica Jong always reminds me of an author of “dirty books” and I was excited when I found this book at a local library book sale to see what she was all about. Although there were numerous detailed sexual escapades that Isadora encounters, the story was more of her searching for balance and stability as she is approaching a mature 40 and going through another divorce, but this time with a young daughter to consider. If you haven’t matured or grown up in the 70-80’s some of the issues may be hard ...more
Basila Hasnain
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Laeeqa Ahmed Susan Florence K
Recommended to Basila by: no one
For me Erica jong is always writing about writing, like language poets she is beautifully weaving a story with words about words. she isn't Woolf but she is wonderful in seducing the Demons. In this book however, I cant really see the same spark. My favourite part of this book include the poem about the horses, her relation with her grandfather, the funeral scene and the snow set scenes.

Harv Griffin
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, reviewed
Erica Jong is a difficult writer for me to read. The best way I can explain it is to say that her rhythms and mine do not mesh well. But much of her writing is inspired. I give her extra points for prose that frequently surprises me and makes me smile.
Riley
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love her writing. I just read this one. I don't see her books as only for women or the young, as I'm male, almost 70. I most liked her comments on fame and being an author, no doubt based on her experience.
Jessica
Nov 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jessica by: on my parents' bookshelves
Shelves: contemporary
I remember truly enjoying this book when I read it...but I was still in high school and probably did not have the best of taste.

I don't really think I'll read it again, although I suppose I should at one point.
Erin
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in college, and still remember it fondly. In fact, I liked it much more than Fear of Flying.
Lee
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: women
Women can get better and more passionate as they age.
Lee
Feb 01, 2008 added it
Lustful read in a positive note. (:
Jennifer Quigley
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
No Fear of Flying but still very funny, intelligent and charming.
Marie
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Some parts were good but I just wanted it to be over by the end.
Tatiana
you know, i just couldn't bring myself to read a third isadora wing novel. maybe one day...
Eliana
Apr 04, 2014 added it
Beautifully gifted artist writer with a wry yet good humored, worldview and a penchant for adventure!
Rebecca
Jul 22, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
First Printing, no jacket
Heather
Jul 27, 2017
  • The Menacers (Matt Helm, #11)
  • The Voyeur
  • The Adventures of Don Valiente and the Apache Canyon Kid
  • Dalí's Mustache
  • Women on Top
  • Sea Strike (Amanda Garrett, #2)
  • Lila Says
  • Piece of Cake
  • The Good Shepherd
  • New Rules for the New Economy
  • The Weeping Empress
  • Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles (Madame Pamplemousse, #1)
  • In Her Day
  • The Awful Rowing Toward God
Erica Jong—novelist, poet, and essayist—has consistently used her craft to help provide women with a powerful and rational voice in forging a feminist consciousness. She has published 21 books, including eight novels, six volumes of poetry, six books of non-fiction and numerous articles in magazines and newspapers such as the New York Times, the Sunday Times of London, Elle, Vogue, and the New Yor ...more
More about Erica Jong

• Revolution 2020
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Big Breasts and Wide Hips
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mercy Falls Collection: The Lightkeeper's Daughter / The Lightkeeper's Bride / The Lightkeeper's Ball (Mercy Falls #1-3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Secret
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dead Don't Dance
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles, #1)
  • The Love Season
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • The Man Who Could Be King
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    $12.99 $2.99
“never feel lonely with you,” said Bean when they stopped kissing. “I keep expecting to feel lonely or shut out or irritated, but the more we are together, the more right it feels, the more we seem to belong together.” Isadora felt the same, but she feared admitting it. She feared the commitment it implied, she feared the heartbreak, the entanglement that leads to bitter loss. Bean waited for her to pledge herself to him in turn, but she remained silent through fear and the recentness of her heartbreak.” 1 likes
“When one follows the path with heart, one often bleeds. (But what is the alternative—a cauterized core?)” 0 likes