Start by marking “The Thin Commandments: The Ten No-Fail Strategies for Permanent Weight Loss” as Want to Read:
The Thin Commandments: The Ten No-Fail Strategies for Permanent Weight Loss

The Thin Commandments: The Ten No-Fail Strategies for Permanent Weight Loss

Bestselling author of Thin Tastes Better, Dr. Stephen Gullo lets you in on his unique program that has a success rate almost 15 times higher than the national average and has helped patients lose more than 100 pounds and maintain the weight loss for more than 5 years. At Dr. Gullo's Institute for Health and Weight Sciences in New York City, patients wait up to 6 months for ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Rodale Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Thin Commandments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thin Commandments

Start your review of The Thin Commandments: The Ten No-Fail Strategies for Permanent Weight Loss
Shannon
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Some interesting tips but he pushes mostly no-fat, diet crap food.
p.s. Dick P. lost 47lbs following this book:)
Matthew
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
"The most effective Prozac in the world is to take charge of your weight." -- Dr. Stephen Gullo

"...the process is the goal..."

Why do we eat so much? Technology has made food more abundant, as well better looking, smelling, tasting, feeling, and even sounding. It is packaged in a special way. It is advertised everywhere. You see people eating everywhere. You have a house filled with it.

We are also stressed out, fearful, anxious, depressed, angry, lonely, and bored. We are deeply alienated in the
Ariel
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-fitness
I don't care a fig about the diet and recipes at the end, but the ten commandments are pretty much the most accurate and brilliant commentary on dieting I've ever read. I've already recommended this a lot.
Shirin Abdel Rahman
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
عشر نصائح للحفاظ على الوزن و تغير النمط الغذائي المسبب للسمنة.
Kewannah "Health Kick Chick"
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is great. I love Dr. Gullo's approach to weight loss as it's a no-nonsense scientific approach. It's all mental so focus on your strategy and less about building will power. The first few lines of the book are key "dieting is about losing weight. Food strategy is about ending the problem." Gullo says your struggle with weight is less about your calories but your history with certain foods. Do you polish off every spoonful of ice cream? Then don't assume that you can live with it in you ...more
Kay
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Meh. It was just okay. The author had nothing really that new to tell me, though he kept insisting that his approach was novel. I already keep a food diary and am familiar with my trigger foods. And I think he overstates the claims for dairy and other foods that are helpful while dieting.

While it was useful to hear Gullo's advice in audio form, as it can never hurt having to focus on what we all need to do, he made a big mistake reading this book himself. A motivational book needs a motivating
Jenna
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
The strength of the Thin Commandments is in strategies for handling difficult situations. I think the meal plan was kind of funky & could never really get into it. However, the concept of making a plan to deal with foods that you have a history of abusing is smart. One of the ideas that I especially liked was "box it in, box it out" - set occasions or locations for eating certain foods - apple pie only at Thanksgiving dinner would be an example. Read this years ago & skimmed it last week. ...more
Susan Bybee
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
A little repetitious, but I appreciated how Gullo deals with the mindsets that go along with dieting. Instead of willpower, he recommends having strategies to avoid temptations. He details when the trouble times are most likely to occur, and offers strategies to help.
Terri Richardson
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some excellent suggestions for those wanting to lose weight. the book sheds new light on why we fail at dieting and gives a host of strategies to combat the difficulties often experienced by those who try to lose weight.
Patti Dunegan
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good psychological strategies to keep you armed with what you need to do to stay on track. Don't agree with his suggestions to consume anything labeled "lite" or "non fat" because I've read the science that supports good healthy fats. Other than that, it's right in the mark!!
Erin
Jan 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Cheesy clever way to present the idea of: eat less, exercise more...lose weight.
Margaret Dee
Jul 07, 2009 rated it did not like it
Could not get into this.
Sofi Carpenter
Nov 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
This is one of the most sensible diet strategies I have read.
Teri Pre
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Not a diet but some interesting strategies and ways to think about what you eat.
Marie
Apr 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Interesting ideas about changing the way you look at food and dieting
Jamesia
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very good with success tips I use everyday!
Abby Mountain
Aug 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone struggling with weight issues
Everything in this book should be common sense, but somehow I didn't really understand it. I have passed it on to several people and they also felt that it had valuable knowledge.
Susan
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Deals with more of the psychology of why we choose to overeat than most "diet" books. It's a manual for lifestyle change. Heads and shoulders above fad diet books.
Belinda
Feb 26, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Nix
  • American Spy
  • The Diary of Darcy J. Rhone (Darcy & Rachel, #0.5)
  • The Lies That Bind
  • Liefde enzo & Doortrapt!
  • Samo svoja
  • Heart of the Matter
  • First Comes Love
  • Borrowed & Blue (Darcy & Rachel #1-2)
  • The Emily Giffin Collection: Volume Two: Baby Proof, Where We Belong, Heart of the Matter
  • Rozmowy z autorami
  • Something Blue (Darcy & Rachel, #2)
  • Untitled Book 1
  • Love the One You're With
  • Emily Giffin 5 Book Set : Something Borrowed Something Blue Baby Proof Love the One You're with Heart of the Matter
  • Baby Proof