Start by marking “Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity” as Want to Read:
Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity

Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity

(Astronaut Academy #1)

Hakata Soy's past life as the leader of a futuristic super team won't stay in the past!

The former space hero is doing his best to keep his head down at Astronaut Academy. Things aren't going so great, though. The most popular girl in school has it in for him. His best friend won't return his calls. And his new roommate is a complete jock who only cares about Fireball.

Hakat
Published June 7th 2011 by First Second

Renata
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, graphic-novel
What a funny, weird little story! I don't really know what I thought this was about, but I wasn't expecting it to be so gleefully goofy. Great for tweens-adults, includes a diverse & adorable cast of little space students who take classes in stuff like "Anti-Gravity Gymnastics" and "Driving Dinosaurs." More than anything this reminded me of Scott Pilgrim Jr, but in space.

Also I would just like to mention that there is a panel where a robot speaks entirely in Tori Amos references: "Caught a
Claire
Synopsis

Hakata just wants to make a fresh start. But how will he find time to study Anti-Gravity Gymnastics and Tactical Randomnes
Patrice Sartor
A group of students are in space at the Astronaut Academy, learning about science, math, how to properly float in space and (for at least one student) how to throw a fireball that could save your life. Each short chapter focuses on one character's perspective, and through the course of the book we become familiar with many residents at Astronaut Academy. The main one is Hakata Soy, who truly does sport a fantastic hair-do, which leads some of the girls to swoon. Some flashbacks from Hakata's pre ...more
Scruffy
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hakata Soy is a young former space hero just starting out at the space based Astronaut Academy. Starting with this simple premise we are introduced to a large cast of characters and many inter-weaving plot lines. The book is made up of lots of short stories told from alternating perspectives all of which are connected to tell a larger story. Because of the structure of the book I found it best to be read in short bursts rather than straight through.

Astronaut Academy is very funny. I often find c
704Cal
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adventurous. If you like cute comics, and space adventures, this is a good comic for you.
Jerzy Drozd
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I picked up his book while Dave was in town for Kids Read Comics, and I’ve been reading it over and over ever since. It’s one of those rare comics aimed at young people written and drawn by a guy who actually remembers what it’s like to be a kid. The comic is filled with an exuberant sincerity, the characters are super fun, and the jokes have that rascally sweetness that you rarely find outside of a Muppets special back when Jim Henson was alive.
The story is about a group of students attending a
fanazuma
Dec 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Disappointing.

At first I thought I would give this to Kumohitam's brother, but I won't even do that.

I know this is a book for kids and/or young adult, but putting aside the childish tone of the book, the jokes aren't even funny.

Examples:
"Just because Maribelle crossed the finish line first, does not make her a true winner. You see, class, Maribelle forgot the most important part of dinosaur driving! Wearing your CUTE LITTLE HAT!" Um. Okay. (and no, this hat isn't a helmet so if you're trying t
Eti
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dave Roman knows something about layers. Like a delicious parfait, Astronaut Academy is a hilarious romp through outer space guaranteed to delight both adult and child readers. The characters are parts adorable, quirky, and deep. Told through short vignettes that delve into the lives of each character, Astronaut Academy allows readers to see the entire picture of the academy and see how it all fits together. Honestly, it defies description but trust me when I say that it should be devoured like ...more
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 2 stars
Art: 3 stars

The problem with turning online comics into a graphic novel is that there is no story arc. This book is a series of disjointed scenes that aren't organized around a central conflict and don't actually tell a story. A series of characters is introduced and we learn bits about each one, but it never comes together or becomes anything more than that. A satisfying story is equal to more than the sum of its parts. This does not have all the components needed for a story.

Read
Betsy
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
One Sentence Review: It may take you 50% of the book to get into this one, but once you've successfully processed what Roman's doing with the language the book is tons of fun and silly to the point of mental instability.
Edward Sullivan
Entertaining silliness in outer space.
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
Six words: Children's Notable Graphic Novels Selection List. That is all.
Toby
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
it was funny & most of all i liked the fire ball tournament & it looks rely interesting & i wish i could play fire ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tony dillard jr
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This 2011 book by Dave Roman is the first of a series that explores the adventures of the diverse student body at Astronaut Academy. The main character is Hakata Soy, a former leader of a super-team, whose just transferred to the academy. Yet this book is really a who's who of the attendees of the space station school.
Most of the students and teachers are perplexed by the new student. Some want to be friends with Hakata, others are destined to be enemies. But everyone wants to know why he's no
Erin Fowler
Oct 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Really bored when reading! I'm a fourth grade educator and my students love graphic novels. I have never been bored by a graphic novel until I read this one. There really isn't any plot and the novel just didn't grab my attention.
Danielle DuPuis
Read this for Battle of the Books but was not a fan. I found it very difficult to follow. Illustrations were cute, but I couldn’t keep up with the story.
Max
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
WHERE CAN I FIND DA SEEQUEEL!!! this story is about a kid who had spent his life saving cities suddenly going to a school where he has to learn a lot of new things.
Andrew C
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome
David Monninger
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was very interesting
Heather
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The sarcasm is great in this one and I think it will really appeal to my 4th and 5th graders. Bonus points for diversity, -1 for mean hurling and using the word “sissy” to describe nerds.
Stephanie
Jan 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
I would have given this 2 stars but it just went on for way too long.
Christian Juneau
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hugo Guzman
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Today i will be talking about the book astronaut-academy: Zero gravity.The book's setting takes place in space where kids go to school outside the ordinary world.Hakata Soy is a kid who has all around the space helping out people.But for this season he will have to stay and learn at school.So in the begging he come from a mission and goes strait to school so he share a room with his friend mutt.Then he meets his old friend Mrs.Bunny.One day she was whit her family until one day this team of d=ba ...more
Arianna
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Welcome to Astronaut Academy, a boarding where students learn important skills such as anti-gravity gymnastics, fire throwing, advanced heart studies and Spanish. It's also where Hakata Soy, former space hero, has been sent by his parents. Unfortunately, his enemies won't leave him alone! With the help of his new friend Miyumi San, he'll try to make it through his first semester.

This was pretty silly. It was also very tongue and cheek in a way I enjoyed but I think most middle school students,
P D
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun read for all ages! If you're a kid then hopefully you can appreciate the sheer wonderfulness that is education in space, such as classes that involve DINOSAURS, and there's a decent side dish of teen flirtations...and if you're my age or older, you can appreciate all the shoutouts to 80s-90s cartoons, especially the ones coming straight from Japan, as well as live-action stuff like the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

You can read the blurb for a general idea of what this is about, although I
Wandering Librarians

Dani Shuping
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I got this through Goodreads Giveaway program (yay!)

Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity is the first of at least two planned books (the sequel probably coming out next year). It tells the story of Hakata Soy as the new kid at Astronaut Academy as he settles into the school and gets used to his classmates (who honestly, are just a wee bit weird) and tries to catch up to his classwork (he was held captive by his archenemies for a few weeks so was late to the start of school.) And as he settles in he d
Get Booked Fans
Episode 30:
4. Hi Amanda and Jenn!
I need some help coming up with graphic novel recommendations for my 10 year old stepson. He’s completely hooked on them but he goes through them so fast that I can’t keep up, so I desperately need your recommendations! He reads books with both male and female protagonists (he read El Deafo and Nimona) so I’m already planning to try your recent recommendation of Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant. My husband and I have also exposed him to a wide range of sub
Jimmy
Nov 03, 2011 added it
Western Humanities Book review

Paragraph One: plot summary

My book takes place in the future where kids will go to school in space and learn about future things such as wearing cute hats, zero gravity gymnastics, and also run-on sentences. The main character in this book is Hakata Soy, a new student to Astronaut Academy, was a I guess you could say “space ranger” fighting these bird like people that are constantly terrorizing someone. As the plot develops new people join in the story and sort of
Becky B
Well, that was...different.
So there is an overarching plot to this book...eventually. This crime-fighting kid gets sent to Astronaut Academy by his parents and his arch-nemeses send a killer robot after him. That's the main framework, but it doesn't really show up until 80% of the way through the book and then the last 10% of the book is epilogues, so that should give you a picture of how much tight plot line you can expect. Overall, there's a bunch of random little vignettes to (I think) help y
  • Bake Sale
  • Prime Baby
  • The Unsinkable Walker Bean
  • The Glorkian Warrior Delivers a Pizza
  • Lewis  Clark
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite
  • Bolivar
  • The Sign of the Black Rock (Three Thieves, #2)
  • Sticky Burr: Adventures in Burrwood Forest (Sticky Burr #1)
  • Tune: Still Life (Tune, #2)
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Into the Woods (BIGFOOT Boy #1)
  • Earthling!
  • Around the World
  • One Trick Pony
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • Copper
  • Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean
Dave Roman is the author of several graphic novels including Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity, Teen Boat!, Jax Epoch, and Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery. He has contributed stories to Explorer: The Mystery Boxes, Nursery Rhyme Comics, and is the co-author of two New York Times bestselling graphic novels, X-Men: Misfits and The Last Airbender: Zuko’s Story. Roman is a graduate of the School of ...more

Astronaut Academy (2 books)
  • Astronaut Academy: Re-entry