Start by marking “The One True Ocean” as Want to Read:
The One True Ocean

The One True Ocean

There are two oceans, mom used to tell me. There is one that is blue-a clean, bright Disney World blue, which simply is the mirror of a clear sky above. But look at the ocean on a cloudy day, she would say, and here lies the green ocean-the true ocean, full of algae and kelp and slimy creatures, evil lurking in the shadows.

The One True Ocean is a searing "what happened?" n
Published October 1st 2003 by Sourcebooks Landmark

To ask other readers questions about The One True Ocean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One True Ocean

Start your review of The One True Ocean
Dale Harcombe
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
The story of three woman, Jenna, her mother Renee and Renee’s sister Adeline. Jenna also has a much younger sister Elisabeth, although she doesn’t have a great part to play. This is a book of loss, grief, death, relationships and secrets, told largely from Jenna’s point of view with some short chapters telling Renee’s story. I liked the setting of Maine but wasn’t overly enamoured by any of the characters. I struggled with the concept of such a harsh and cold relationship between mother and daug ...more
Linda
Sep 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a book I just picked up at the airport and I was very pleasantly surprised. I liked how she told the story from different characters' perspective. ...more
Susan Morabit
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
A little slow to start but what a finish! Good quick read!
Jennifer Martin
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating and smooth work of fiction. I felt I was peeling back the layers of an onion, getting to know the characters. I would like to see more work from Ms. Martin.
SHR
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This was beautifully written – almost lyrical. It has well drawn characters, with tangible, believable emotions. The story centres on Jenna & her mother, Renee.

The first chapter of each section is told from Renee’s point of view, in her voice, sometimes in the present and sometimes in the past. The rest of the chapters in the section are in Jenna’s voice, mostly in the present, but sometimes in the past.

It is lovely the way the book gives bits and pieces and allows the reader to piece things to
Ruth
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
An eloquent debut!
Dani
Mar 08, 2014 added it
Awesome book!
Yvonne
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I look forward to her next book
Mendy
Apr 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Jennifer W
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Pretty good for a first book. Looking back I would say it could have used some tighter editing, but I frequently picked this book up, read for a short time and found 20 pages had just melted away, so at no time was this book a "slog." I think the part I had the most trouble believing was the personality change that Adeline went through from teenager to adult. She was like 2 different people. I also don't know that I believe that person (either in teenage form or adult) would have killed herself. ...more
Waggonerdebbie
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I would have given it almost four. It is bout three women, basically, one who has passed by suicide but is in flashbacks, a current young woman who has lost her husband and does not know who her father is, and the young woman's mother. It is about them all coming together after many years of misunderstanding. ...more
Robin
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
This book took some time for me to get into it. It repeated alot of stuff through out and honestly got boring.
The ending of the book was much better than anticipated. The book was about a young woman who goes back to Maine where she grew up as a child. She has flashbacks of different areas of her life that she is having a hard time getting past.
B
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
terrible- she tried to make it clever by telling the story from different points of view, but didn't do this very skillfully so you didn't know what was going on until the end. but not in an exciting, page turning way, but in a weary "what is she talking about?" way... ...more
Kate
Jul 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
I suppose you could call this a mystery in as much as it slowly unravels the circumstances surrounding a death. But it was more than that.

Although this book seemed a bit contrived at times, it had a lot of heart. The author was terrific at writing description, but fumbled a little with dialog.
Megan
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was OK. I liked the mom's story better than Jenna's. ...more
Kayse
Aug 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Liked the book. Lots of death, lots! The second half of the book was so much better than the first. Easy read, enjoyed the story from two different characters.
Tiffanie
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
was an okay read kinda confusing to start. I hate that it bounced around time so much an I wish the bilogical father wouldn't of been dead ...more
Natalie
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Meh, not that great. It tried too hard.
Jamie
Mar 02, 2009 added it
Shelves: don-t-read
I hear there is too much death in this book for me. no thanks
Kelly
Feb 28, 2011
Heather K.
Mar 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • The Bone Orchard (Mike Bowditch, #5)
  • Trespasser (Mike Bowditch, #2)
  • Bad Little Falls (Mike Bowditch, #3)
  • The Precipice (Mike Bowditch, #6)
  • Ice Cold Heart (Monkeewrench, #10)
  • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
  • Brush with Death (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #5)
  • Dachshund Through the Snow (Andy Carpenter #20)
  • Read and Buried (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #6)
  • A Dog Named Beautiful: A Marine, a Dog, and a Long Road Trip Home
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • Behind Closed Doors (DI Beatrice Stubbs, #1)
  • Tip of the Iceberg: My 3,000-Mile Journey Around Wild Alaska, the Last Great American Frontier
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • Deception Cove (Neah Bay, #1)
  • A Simple Murder (Will Rees, #1)
  • Cradle to Grave (Will Rees, #3)
Sarah Beth Martin grew up in Massachusetts, among creative parents and siblings. Her fiction and essays have appeared in literary journals and magazines, and her novel, The One True Ocean, was published in both the U.S. and Germany. She also established the journal Foliage, for which she worked as both editor and publisher. She lives in Southern Maine, where she is at work on another novel.