Start by marking “The Cowboy and His Elephant: The Story of a Remarkable Friendship” as Want to Read:
The Cowboy and His Elephant: The Story of a Remarkable Friendship

The Cowboy and His Elephant: The Story of a Remarkable Friendship

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  600 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
In the late 1980s, a female baby elephant was born into a herd that lived on the plains of southern Africa. Her mother has carried her for two years, and normally she would have nursed her for five more. But the close-knit family of wild elephants was to face a predator for which it was no match--humans. In a "cull," her family was slaughtered in a few moments. Only the ne ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published May 9th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Cowboy and His Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cowboy and His Elephant

Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love elephants and this was a great story of Amy who was taken from Africa after her family was culled. She is very lucky that she falls into the hands and life of Bob Norris, who was the Marlboro man by accident. It is about their special bond and made me cry twice in a good way.

Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kimberly, Jaxnsmom, Amanda, Snoozie Suzie, Lisa
The first two chapters of this book lumber along while they provide necessary background for both Bob Norris, the Marlboro Man, and Amy the elephant. After that, the book takes off like a quarter horse on Bob's ranch. The story is a fun blend of the charm of the devotion that existed between Amy and Bob, knowledge of what it takes to raise an elephant, amazement at Amy's intelligence, Bob's stubbornness and the blow of the reality of an aging individual raising a 2000-plus elephant.

I experienced
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I loved this book for the simple fact that this man, "The Marlboro Man" bought this elephant baby who's family was killed in a freaking cull in Africa. A man came along and wanted to rent some of his barn space for some baby elephants the was selling to circuses etc. Amy was a runt and being picked on by the other babies. He saw that she was very depressed and just couldn't let her go being afraid for her. They formed a wonderful bond until she was too old and had to find another home.

Now let m
I read came upon this book recently after having gotten in touch with an old boyfriend from high school (via Facebook). I was particularly interested in reading this story because, as it turns out, I have been to this ranch.
While visitng the said boyfriend, Bobby, in Littleton, CO, his mom, little brother and sister and I all drove down to Colorado Springs one day to spend an afternoon walking around this beautiful ranch with this wonderful man named Bob Norris. Bob, it turns out, is or was, th
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two years ago I visited Have Trunk Will Travel in California with my pre-vet club. The elephants all had strong personalities: curious, fun, and even mischievous. After that experience I've stayed fascinated with elephants, so when I saw this book on the shelf at the library I picked it up to read it.

It's a cute, heartwarming story. The beginning is assumption on the part of the owner, written almost in poetic prose. From there the author swaps to a more journalistic style of writing. The huge p
Remarkable and enthralling - “The Cowboy and His Elephant” – the true story of Bob Norris, American rancher, and his fate-generated friendship with Amy, the African elephant. I’m so delighted to have come across this book! Bob’s life-story, in and of itself, makes for a fascinating read; how many ranchers can say they were, by happenstance, The Marlboro Man of rough and rugged fame? Add Amy’s back-story of how she came to be saved from the heart-breaking cull, along with elephant studies and lor ...more
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the late 1980s, a female baby elephant was the only survivor of a her cull, where she was transported to America to be sold. Bob Norris, the Marlboro Man, is a cowboy with an empathy for animals. When the hurt, baby elephant, Amy, came into his life, an incredible bond between them was forged. Bob adopted Amy and through gentle training, humor, and perseverance, coaxed Amy into overcoming her mistrust of humans. Bob knew from the start that the ultimate goal was for Amy to regain her independ ...more
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the true, heartwarming story of Bob Norris, Colorado rancher and Marlboro Man, who adopts (and falls in love with) a newborn African elephant named Amy. Amy has been traumatized by watching her entire family slaughtered in Africa. Bob, who's empathy for animals overwhelms his other emotions, is determined to help her overcome her sadness and distrust of humans. Using gentle training and perseverance, Bob helps Amy develop into the sweet, lovable, mischievous elephant she was meant to be. ...more
A sweet biography about a cowboy (specifically the Marlboro Man) who adopts an orphaned African elephant named Amy. Amy's antics made me chuckle and the strength of the relationship between the cowboy and the elephant made me tear up a bit.
Lori Conroy
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book and such a beautiful story of how this cowboy (the original Marlboro man) raised the baby elephant Amy and they taught each other so much. I'm so amazed by these smart and loving animals.
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable story. I have a long standing love for elephants and though I've never gotten to spend time with them in real life, I'm totally enchanted by them. Picked this book up from a local book shop. A couple days later I came down with a terrible cold and spent a weekend in bed. This story was a great companion and I was glad to have uninterrupted time to read it. (It's a quick, easy read but I rarely have to time for "real" books anymore).

Didn't realize is was the "Marlboro Man" u
Barbara Kemp
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting elephant story

The relationship between Bob and Amy was special, but then Amy seemed like a uniquely domesticated elephant. The book was very interesting, mostly because Bob was interesting but also because it was well written. It changes one's perspective on circus animals and exotic animal farms, but is it right to "save" wild animals from their native habitat? Even if cruel people kill for sport?
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written, touching story. I felt this was a fast read, and reinforces the idea that animals - all kinds of life forms- have their own personality, and we as “humans” need to show humanity and respect and protect them, it’s our duty to them and to the planet. It’s important to share this unique story but also to note that Animals are not for us to keep. I read this book a while ago and can’t recall the full story but I did love reading this story, and enjoyed the author’s writing style too.
Carol Keljo
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Very Wonderful Love Story

This is an incredible story that also is educational. It provides as much insight into human emotions as it does for elephants.
kristi turner
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a refreshing read about a cowboy and his elephant. It would have been great to know more about AMy's rehab back to Africa, but the way this was written it was almost like you were there with Bob. I cried with Bob and felt his pain at letting Amy go, and then at his relief when she remembered him
Pamela Pickering
Elephants may be quickly replacing dolphins as my favorite mammal (besides dogs of course). How do I rate this? The writing was very simple (in fact, I would recommend this to my 11 year old niece) so I can't really give it 5 stars but the story was so heartwarming. There aren't many books out there that can make me laugh and cry. I learned I couldn't read this before work because I would have to redo my eye makeup. I fell so in love with Amy and Bob's affection for her was remarkable. One of th ...more
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book! This is a story of Amy, an African elephant who loses her herd in an African cull. This is also a story of Bob Norris, the cowboy. He is also known as the Marlboro Man. After Amy is shipped to the US, her owner asks Bob if he can rent 5 stalls for the baby elephants. Bob agrees. And thus begins a remarkable friendship between Bob and Amy. Bob ends up buying Amy and their relationship blooms. As time goes by, Amy becomes too big for her surroundings and ends up the star per ...more
Brenda Leavy
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda by: My mom
Shelves: non-fiction
As an animal lover, I envy Bob his life on the ranch with his horses, dogs, cows, and the occasional goat and elephant.... His empathy and deep feelings for his animals resonated with did his heartbreak at loss..

Being the caretaker of an elephant is no easy task. Caring for one that was orphaned as a baby in Africa and shipped to the U.S. is another matter altogether. Amy went through heartache, loss, depression, just as we do. Bob's love and patience drew her from her grief into a curio
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers, kids, circus attendees, elephant lovers
Cowboy and His Elephant by Malcolm MacPherson details the friendship that rancher Bob Norris shared with his elephant Amy. It's a touching and remarkable account of the behavior and emotions experienced by an elephant with a caring guardian. Although
Norris, who is the grandnephew of the founder of the Texaco oil company, acquired Amy as a baby through chance events the true story of their life together demonstrates the ease at which humans can understand and relate to wildlife even as complex a
Sheri S.
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aug 22, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: don-t-bother
oh, I was so disappointed with this book....I was looking for another "Marley and Me" experience and although this story had the ability to tug the heart strings,it didn't.
Bob the honest to god Marlboro Man had a nice ranch, and one day got a request to rent stalls to a man to house his baby elephants. Bob agrees and eventually comes to love one in particular, Amy, who he adopts and raises. Unfortunately, Amy grows quite large and needs to be relocated. Obviously, for us animal lovers, you can
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I have to say, I love getting books from second hand stores - I don't think I would have found this book otherwise.

The Cowboy and His Elephant is about Bob Norris, the original Marlboro Man, a born cowboy who befriends an elephant that was recued from Africa after her entire family was killed. Amy, a 2+ year old elephant is the runt of the rscued elephants and the last to be sold. For $16,000 Bob buys her and quickly developes a unique bond.

This is their story of that friendship and the journey
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
I loved this book. Bob Norris, a cowboy and a former Marlboro Man adopted a traumatized, baby elephant named Amy. He brought her out of her terror and taught her with infinite patience to get along on his ranch with people and other animals. Eventually, she grew too big for his ranch and he had to find her another safe home. A terribly sad period for both Bob and Amy eventually turned into a success story.
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This truly is a remarkable story. A baby elephant whose mother was slaughtered by poachers for ivory,shipped to America for sale as who knows what, bought out of pitty by a rancher that had been THE Marlboro Man, saved from dying, and was raised to be a friendly companion to Bob, the owner of the T Cross ranch just south of Colorado Springs gives the basis of this fascinating book. A must read to find the ending!
If you like true stories about elephants, this is a good read. It's not as good a book as Modoc or even Water for Elephants, but it gives another perspective of how much work and care is involved in owning an elephant. One of the biggest surprises is revealing how "circus people" feel about circus protestors, particularly those who protest having elephants at a circus. It seems to me that the majority of circus people who own elephants care for them more than their human family.
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a moving story about the relationship between an african elephant who survived the slaughter of her troop and the American cowboy who adopted her. It's a story about survival against great odds. And a story about fortitude, adaptability, and ingenuity. We learn a great deal about what kind of beings elephants are and what kind of environment they need to survive and thrive. And it is beautifully written.
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a nice true story about fate and the relationships between people and animals. Bob Norris is a very interesting man - the former Marlboro Man - and this is really a heartwarming tale of how he came to be friends with a baby elephant, Amy, saved from the cull in Africa. Bob was a larger than life rancher, businessman, and this made for a good read. Anyone who's an animal lover would enjoy!
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my. I needed a box of Kleenex for this one. A great true story about a Texas cowboy who adopts a baby elephant. This isn't a just-the-nice-parts story. It's a story that includes the pros and cons of taking on an exotic animal who becomes a beloved pet and part of the family. Reallllly good.
If you can get past the bad presentation and writing it is a good story. Bob Norris is a Colorado rancher and known for being the Marlboro Man. He finds himself taking care of Newborn African Elephants on his ranch. One of the Elephants gets to his heart and he keeps her for a long as he can.
Book is heartbreaking, a little funny and thought provoking.
Valerie Yoh
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone that's an animal lover, this is a must read. It's an endearing and well-written story an accidental relationship that develops between a Colorado cowboy and an saved from a cull in western Africa.

I didn't realized how incredibly intelligent and well-developed the personality of elephants are. The next time I'm at the zoo, I will stop and think more when I pass the elephants.
duplicate entries 1 5 Sep 24, 2014 05:26AM
  • Zamba: The True Story of the Greatest Lion That Ever Lived
  • A Snowflake in My Hand
  • No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian
  • Lads Before the Wind: Diary of a Dolphin Trainer
  • Winging It: A Memoir of Caring for a Vengeful Parrot Who's Determined to Kill Me
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • Soul of a Lion: One Woman's Quest to Rescue Africa's Wildlife Refugees
  • Rescue Ink: How Ten Guys Saved Countless Dogs and Cats, Twelve Horses, Five Pigs, One Duck,and a Few Turtles
  • A Hummingbird in My House: The Story of Squeak
  • Born Wild: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Passion for Africa
  • To The Elephant Graveyard
Malcolm Cook MacPherson was an American national and foreign correspondent for Newsweek magazine and the author of numerous fiction and nonfiction books.
More about Malcolm MacPherson...

Nonfiction Deals