Start by marking “La musica sveglia il tempo” as Want to Read:
La musica sveglia il tempo

La musica sveglia il tempo

"Questo non è un libro per musicisti o per non-musicisti, è piuttosto un libro per le menti curiose di scoprire le corrispondenze fra musica e vita, e la saggezza che diventa comprensibile all'orecchio pensante. Tali scoperte non sono privilegi riservati ai musicisti di grande talento che fin dalla più tenera età ricevono un'educazione musicale, né una torre d'avorio o un ...more
Paperback, Varia, 185 pages
Published 2008 by Feltrinelli

To ask other readers questions about La musica sveglia il tempo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La musica sveglia il tempo

Start your review of La musica sveglia il tempo
Yuval
Apr 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barenboim is a true genius and one of my heroes, but I don't know if Verso did very well putting together a sampling of his writing: the book is strangely organized and repeats itself a LOT (a late chapter on the West-East Divan Orchestra is basically a verbatim recount of what he talks about in the first half of the book). Great insight throughout, but anyone interested would do better to read PARALLELS AND PARADOXES, his book with Edward Said.

On a pickier note: this is the second
Rachel
Feb 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a little worried that this dude thinks that he could fart and it would sound like Vivaldi. He's obviously smart, but he could probably remove the stick from his butt. So that the Vivaldi farts could escape.
Stephen Redwood
I approached this book with great anticipation. The reviews I had read primed me to expect a text of deep philosophical insights borne of parallels between music and life at large, from one of the great musicians of our time. Well, yes, it was sort of philosophical in the sense that many people of a thinking and reflective bent are, but some of the perspectives were more a statement of beliefs than a result of robust logical argument. And parallels between music and life were laced throughout, ...more
Yoyo
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
"In music, nothing is independent. It requires a perfect balance between intellect, emotion, and temperament. I would go so far as to argue that if this equilibrium were reached, human beings and even nations would be able to interact with each other with greater ease. Through music it is possible to imagine an alternative social model, where Utopia and practicality join forces, allowing us to express ourselves freely and hear each other's preoccupations."

A powerful interdisciplinary approach to
David Houliston
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Also titled “Everything is Connected”. A compilation of his writings. He would like to see a change of heart in Jews living in Israel.
Jeng Suan Tan
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading this (got it as a gift from my teacher!). Indeed, everything is connected.
Ciaran
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional writing, absolutely sublime.
Mansoor Nazeer
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Combine it with his Beethoven masterclasses and you have a universe opening up before you, quasi una fantsia.
Persephone Abbott
The author’s name in the cover is printed larger than the title of the book. Granted, Mr. Barenboim’s intellect is capable of overriding any one statement, such as “Everything is Connected,” however he rarely dares come to a rounded conclusion, in manner of a true sonata form or the sequence of an essay by Mr. Montaigne and if he did I wonder what danger he might uncover. Reading the comments on music, I enjoyed many his descriptions of music, and obviously he has much to say given his ...more
Ian Murray-Watson
Disappointing, and in general, rather stolid and unimaginative. Be prepared for more about politics than music. Barenboim's analysis of the Middle East situation will make a lot of sense to many people, but unfortunately I bought the book expecting to read about music, so skipped most of the political stuff.
Must of what is written about music, though interesting, is hardly original and will be completely meaningless to the layman. I mean - do you happen to know off hand what the bass line in
John
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barenboim knows what he's talking about. I especially enjoyed his discussion of how silence is part of music, as well as his interview on Mozart, where he takes to task "authentic performance practice." He also understands Wagner at least as well as any other conductor alive (including his friend Pierre Boulez); although he discusses Wagner only sporadically here, he makes an especially apt point about why Wagner's stage directions at the beginning of his operas are so important.

His discussion
Kate Gould
In 1999, Daniel Barenboim and Edward Said set up the West-Eastern Divan Project, enabling young Middle Eastern musicians to work together. Now, in a collection of essays and articles that is part manifesto, part memoir, and part discourse, Barenboim discusses the place of music both in the lives of individuals and as a global phenomenon.

He transports music from notes and the orchestra pit to its repercussive effects and potential as an instrument in the peace process.

The book is, in parts, a
James Stephenson
Despite the great respect I have for Barenboim as a musician and humanitarian, I can't get past the patronising and dogmatic tone of much of this book, especially the early parts. I realise in hindsight that I should have read 'Parallels and Paradoxes' (Barenboim's book with Edward Said on the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra) first, since 'Everything is Connected' repeatedly drifts from the abstract and philosophical to specific examples from that landmark project - a shame, because it renders the ...more
Evan
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daniel Barenboim could write about his dippy eggs and it'd be interesting. But that doesn't mean he should. Here's a book made up of two sides of entirely different coins. Side one: a semi-structured musing on the ways music as an art form affect us, and how we could engage. Side two: a whistle stop tour through the practical, political and ethical minefield that is the the West-East Divan Orchestra. They are, one suspects, meant to be related – the metaphysical manifested in the intensely ...more
Katrina Becker
Oct 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, very much mixed reactions to this book. For the most part, I absolutely loved it far more than I thought I would- beautiful writing, and clearly a brilliant, kind, and passionate mind. That said, I really know nothing of music at all, more's the pity. So, the first 3 chapters, with their copious classical music references & music terms were pretty much lost on me, as were much of the content on his essays about various music personas. Still though, brilliant, and overall a pleasure to ...more
Jack Laschenski
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daniel is the greatest musician alive today!!

He has no competition!! Pianist (the greatest interpreter of Beethoven), conductor, and founder of the East West Divan Orchestra - Israeli and
Arab kids playing classical music together!

I revere him without qualification.

This is a book of meditations (delivered as the Norton Lectures at Harvard in 2006)on music, life, Israel and Palestine.

A deep man.
José Luis
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The musician Daniel Barenboim, worldly recognized, tells us his experience on trying to achieve some peace between jews and palestines, through an orchestra whose members are from both sides. Music feeds the soul. I wrote something about this on my blog, sorry it is in portuguese, fortunately can be easily translated to any language. https://zeluisbraga.wordpress.com/200...
Kathleen
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An immensely profound and wide-ranging book, ranging in its discussions from Schumann as a radical mind to anecdotes from the Western Divan Orchestra, from cultural understanding of Mozart to Israeli-Palestinian relations. Barenboim emphasizes above all that music brings all of the elements of humanity together. Musicians, artists, and performers who read this books will be happy to meet a very old friend; politicians and social activists who read it will be surprised to find a common ally.
Wackedout
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
It was insightful to glimpse the musical mind of such a seasoned conductor and it really helped sparked some new thoughts in my personal musical understanding and learning. I wish there was more focus on musical interpretation and ideas in the book, but also appreciate the passion with which Daniel Barenboim and Edward Said have for their cause. I am inspired to read the earlier book they co-wrote.
Garth Johnson
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed some parts of this but not others. The writing about music is first rate but I find the political sections difficult. I greatly admire Barenboim's attitude to the Palestinian problem but I'm unsure about his musical analogies. He is an idealist and that is great but I'm not sure of the real influence of his East West orchestra initiative outside the actual players.
Ashley
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it an interesting book, partly because I learnt more about music but also because cooperation without words but with language always brings people closer. Music, art and sport are perhaps what should be precursors to any political discussions. The formation of the Orchestra by amazing people is worth reading about
Ana Hernandez
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is largely the story of his work with Edward Said in Palestine and Israel, the formation of the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra, and the power of music to bring us together to explore how we live in community, as well as music's power to help us navigate the seemingly intractable issues we face as a species.
Scott
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays, books-i-own
This wasn't the most well-edited book I've ever read, but Barenboim is certainly at the top of his game, both musically and intellectually. A lot of what he has to say about music, music education, and politics (among many other more and less specific topics) is highly pertinent and should be more widely recognized.
Jessica
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was fascinating to read about the Israel/Palestine conflict from the viewpoint of this world-renowned conductor and pianist. He brought to light how music is able to transcend the political differences and allow a Palestinian and an Israeli to find friendship in their mutual love of music.
Steve
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book that goes as much into the author's vision re: the Israel/Palestine situation as it does music. I enjoyed it very much.
Peter
Some very interesting ideas from a very thoughtful and intelligent man. Got a bit muddled and philosophical at times, but overall a cool quick read for fans of this pianist/composer.
Chris
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, music
Worth owning if only for the opening chapter: "Sound and Thought". All of Barenboim's interpretive genius as a performer and conductor seems to articulates itself in this deeply thought-out essay.
Cornflower
Aug 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It gets only four stars because I'd like it to have been longer.

More thoughts here:
Ted Moisan
Meh.
Zé Santos
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Changes my perception of what is music and what you can achieve with it. It also talks about the middle east conflict from a very neutral perspective.

• Jack's Worry
  • Listen to This
  • Doctor Faustus
  • Una questione privata
  • The Path to the Spiders' Nests
  • Tatiana and Alexander (The Bronze Horseman, #2)
  • Difficult Loves
  • La ragazza di Bube
  • L'Arminuta
  • Skybound: A Journey In Flight
  • Ferocious Reality: Documentary according to Werner Herzog
Daniel Barenboim is an Argentine pianist and conductor. Currently, he is general music director of La Scala in Milan, the Berlin State Opera, and the Staatskapelle Berlin; he previously served as Music Director of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and the Orchestre de Paris. Barenboim is also known for his work with the West–Eastern Divan Orchestra, a Seville-based orchestra of young Arab and Israeli ...more