Start by marking “In Front of Your Nose: 1945-1950 (The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters, Vol. 4)” as Want to Read:

In Front of Your Nose: 1945-1950

(The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters #4)

In Front of Your Nose features Orwell's final writings, including extracts from his manuscript notebook, as well as details of his remarriage and adoption of a son, notes on the writing and publication of Nineteen Eighty-four, as well as reviews of books by Jean-Paul Sartre and Graham Greene, an examination of politics and literature in Gulliver's Travels, and the hidden ...more
Published August 6th 2002 by Nonpareil Books (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about In Front of Your Nose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Front of Your Nose

Start your review of In Front of Your Nose: 1945-1950 (The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters, Vol. 4)
Ivana
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having a fever gave me the perfect exuse to spend entire yesterday's afternoon reading this book. I'm happy that I had the opportunity to finish it. This is the fouth volume of The Collected Essays, Journalism and Letters of George Orwell(1945-1950) and it must be the final one because he did die in 1950.

How frustrating that my laptop turned down last night just as I was finishing the review for this!Jebi ga.

What I like about Orwell is that he is what I call an active intellectual (and even
Matthew
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
It is easy to get so caught up in the reviewing and criticism of other people’s works that we forget the implications of criticism. In one sense, all literary criticism is profoundly unethical. We take the works of another person and we often find them wanting in at least some respects.

Lest we forget, these works are a reflection of the individual who produced them, and in critiquing their works we are to some extent offering a judgement on that person, based on our own values. Even if we
Dimostenis Yagcioglu
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reading Orwell's essays, book reviews and letters has been an amazing experience. I've learned a great deal about Orwell's life, his ideas, his personality, his daily struggles, his fight with tuberculosis which at the end was the cause of his death, and more importantly about the global and British politics and culture of the period 1945-1950.

I have also learned how he wrote 1984 (it was a difficult process because of his illness), which theories or models he was influenced by while writing it
Steve Gillway
May 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has taken me an awful long time to read this series. I read the first volume when I was at college and I find myself completing it at a similar age to Orwell when he died. Although it these things were written over 50 years ago, they still have the capacity to interest and invite some thought about the political siyuation now. For example, the review of Zamayatin's "WE" encouraged me to take a look at that book and be surprised that I was so ignorant of a fantastically important book. The ...more
Kate Savage
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Why did I have to read the LAST volume of this collection? Why did I put myself through the experience of moving through these 500 pages, feeling only the intense wish for more pages, because the last page means the end of Orwell's life at age 46 when he is still full of plans and ideas?

The actual answer to this question: this is the volume which contains Orwell's essay on toads. Highly recommended.

But I also loved engaging with Orwell's ideas on Shakespeare, Tolstoy, Gandhi, anarchism and
Kathy Stinson
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend loaned me this book after Orwell’s essay “Such, Such Were the Joys” came up in conversation, and I expressed interest. His writing about his experience at boarding school sufficiently engrossed me that I went on to read more than a smattering of Orwell’s essays, letters, and book reviews, including all his “As I Please”columns for the Tribune. I had in the past read, of course, Animal Farm and 1984, with no idea that Orwell was such a prolific writer, that he’d written the brilliant and ...more
Codfather
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, politics
This is a wonderful collection of Essay's, letters and articles, which I think add a lot to the understanding and thinking of this great author, especially as he was in the process of writing 1984. A great deal has already been written below on this book and I feel there is not a great deal I can add.

What I would recommend is that you now go and read this , as if you enjoy his writing, then this background work will offer a real insight to the process of writing that marvellous book.

It is also
David R. Godine
"While [Orwell] is best known for Animal Farm and 1984, most of his writing derived from his tireless work as a journalist, and thanks to David Godine’s welcome reissue of The Collected Essays, Journalism, and Letters of George Orwell, which has been out of print for a decade, readers can find it all in one place. All of the author’s insightful, hard-hitting essays and journalistic pieces are here…the most complete picture of the writer and man possible."
—Eric Liebetrau | Kirkus Reviews
Alicia
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These 4 volumes have been keeping me company for 5 months now. Literary critique, history and politics and personal memoir all gifted to you in the best examples of lucid prose you will find. I was sorry to read the last page, knowing there would be no more. I will miss you George.
Andy
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How did he do it? Even while suffering from tuberculosis? The intellectual range and sheer productivity represented here are astounding.
Chris Chinchilla

A record of a great writer's nonfiction work and an evolving picture of the last years of his life, during the time when he published Animal Farm and 1984. "A magnificent tribute to the probity, consistency and insight of Orwell's topical writings....A remarkable self-portrait" (Alfred Kazin, Book World). Edited by Sonia Orwell and Ian Angus; Index.

Amazon.com Review

The years spanned by this collection--1945-1950--were monumental ones for George Orwell, years in which his literary reputation

Mary Catelli
The last of the volumes. More essays than letters, and even the essays are less personal and more political. Communism, which was a thread throughout the first three, really comes out in full force.

Still some primary source with interesting tidbits, like asking a correspondent whether he's torn up his ration book for clothes, and recounting how people don't really believe it. (They went off clothes rationing in 1949.)

Also stuff about hunger in Europe after the war, objecting to some nasty
Mitchell
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wwii, non-fiction, england
This is the fourth and final volume of George Orwell’s collected letters, essays and reviews, covering the period from 1945 through to Orwell’s death in January 1950 (though the last letter is dated October 1949). There’s much less journalism and opinion in this volume than previous ones; In Front of Your Nose consists largely of letters, which is understandable, since Orwell spent most of this period writing 1984 on a remote Scottish island, or slowly dying of tuberculosis in a hospital bed.

The
Abdulaziz Alfawzan
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of
This is the fourth and, alas, the final volume of Orwell's collected non-fiction writing, covering the end of 1945 after the conclusion of the war until Orwell's death in January of 1950 (although the final letter printed here dates from October of 1949). Orwell died of tuberculosis after being plagued much of his adult life with intermittant poor health and spending most of his last two years in sanatoriums.
Matt Giles

• The Crazy Man
  • Ebb and Flow
  • Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High
  • Where My Heart Used to Beat
  • Power Shift: The Longest Revolution (The CBC Massey Lectures)
  • Greenwood
  • Stand on the Sky
  • Full Surrogacy Now: Feminism Against Family
  • Letters from a Stoic
  • Thus Spoke Zarathustra
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • Measure for Measure
  • If They Come for Us
Eric Arthur Blair, better known by his pen name George Orwell, was an English author and journalist. His work is marked by keen intelligence and wit, a profound awareness of social injustice, an intense opposition to totalitarianism, a passion for clarity in language, and a belief in democratic socialism.

In addition to his literary career Orwell served as a police officer with the Indian Imperial

The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters (4 books)
  • An Age Like This: 1920-1940 (The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters, Vol. 1)
  • My Country Right or Left: 1940-1943 (The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters, Vol. 2)
  • As I Please: 1943-1945 (The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters, Vol. 3)
“The essence of being human is that one does not seek perfection.” 1165 likes
“The essence of being human is that one does not seek perfection, that one is sometimes willing to commit sins for the sake of loyalty, that one does not push asceticism to the point where it makes friendly intercourse impossible, and that one is prepared in the end to be defeated and broken up by life, which is the inevitable price of fastening one's love upon other human individuals.” 91 likes