Start by marking “Farmyard Beat” as Want to Read:
Farmyard Beat

Farmyard Beat

Author Lindsey Craig teams up with Arthur creator and bestselling artist Marc Brown in a toe-tapping farmyard dance-a-thon—perfect for toddler and preschooler read-alouds. As soon as the sun goes down, the animals are up! ("Sheep can't sleep. Sheep can't sleep. Sheep can't sleep 'cause they got that beat!") Before long, there's a giant farmyard dance party, complete with f ...more
Published June 14th 2011 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Farmyard Beat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farmyard Beat

Start your review of Farmyard Beat
Sheri
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
You too will catch the beat of this fun and rhythmic story! A great read aloud that will have both child and adult singing and dancing along.
Abigail
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Read-Aloud Picture-Books
Woken by the peep-peep-peeping of the chicks, a series of other animals add their own sounds to the nighttime beat of the farmyard, until finally Farmer Sue hears them and comes to investigate.

Author Lindsey Craig and illustrator Marc Brown, who previously collaborated on the picture-book Dancing Feet! , join forces again in this poetic read-aloud, which features an engagingly rhythmic text and appealing collage artwork. These illustrations are in a different style from the ones Marc Brown cr
Candice
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A fun book about animals who just "can't sleep 'cause they got that beat!" The beat of one animal segues into the next animal who can't sleep. The sheep - "TAT! TAT! Tattity-tat-tat! All that racket wakes up...Cat!" With a foot-stompin' beat and colorful and fanciful collage pictures, this is loads of fun.
Westminster Library
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, drew
This board book is great for all ages- The illustrations by Marc Brown are bright and colorful, created by utilizing a collage of various shapes and textures. Repetition of words and predictability of the story line make it a fun read aloud for the very young. Lots of opportunities for counting, shape and color recognition.

Find Farmyard Beat at the Westminster Public Library!
Ms. Shoshana
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book for animal noises and talking about beat/rhythm.
Debbie Reiber
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Farmyard Beat by Lindsey Craig is a children’s picture book. The age group this book is intended for is nursery. The book has a rhythm in the writing and it describes all the animals coming together because they have a beat that make them want to dance. I read this book electronically.
The illustrations by Marc Brown used a lot of lines for details; the background sky looked in motion. The colors were bright and the animals were drawn at different angles to show motion in their dancing. Craig us
Amanda
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wonderful rhyming text that has all the animals in the barnyard up late at night, keeping the rhythm as they dance around the farmyard. Wonderful sound words and repetitive text for young readers. Great read aloud for PK-1 students. Collage art by Marc Brown creates depth to the farm animals as they dance around.
Scottsdale Public Library
Very fun and catchy rhyming story about restless farmyard animals and the sounds they make while dancing the night away. (They all "can’t sleep ‘cause they got that beat!”) The lines have an easy cadence that storytime listeners will catch on to quickly and say along with the reader. Enjoyable for toddlers and preschoolers alike! –Hannah V
Samantha
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
In one word: rhythmic! The farmyard animals can't sleep because they just can't quiet the beat making its way across the farm. The cut paper illustrations are big and bright and all the animal noises will make this a very fun storytime read.
Camille
Farm animals wake up in the night to make some noise. The farmer joins them, then they all dance until they pass out sleep. Sounds simple, but the book is chock full of fun rhymes, rhythms that incite movement and singing…or at least in me!
Edward Sullivan
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Colorful and fun. Great choice for a read aloud.
Liesl
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute and incredibly catchy! The many different sounds that the animals make are very creative and fun.
Cosette
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First time I've read a book that received an encore. Had to read this one twice.
Lara
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Colorful pictures with some great texture - I love what these 'cut-and-paste' looking pictures can achieve sometimes! It's got a great rhythm to it, making it a really fun book to read aloud, either for a group or one-on-one. I read it in a storytime on rhythm, but I'd also pull it out for farms/farm animals (or any individual species thereof) or for dance. My audience had lots of fun making noises (and some created hand gestures) along with all the animals. I read it with my preschool (and olde ...more
Kate
May 26, 2017 added it
Shelves: kids-books
"Rhythm" storytime, paired with Drum City and I Got the Rhythm

Craft activity: making drums & shakers from styrofoam cups. Shakers had some trouble due to glue taking longer to dry than anticipated.

Farmyard Beat was the biggest hit from this storytime. They had a great time shouting out the names of the different animals as we turned the pages, and the rhythm of this book encourages dancing and wiggling. Fun fun fun!
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
An adorable book that will have younger readers laughing in delight. It is so clever and fun. A book that brings the farm to life with a catchy beat! I cannot wait to use this book in my classes. Such a fun board book that is sure to become your child's favorite read-a-loud because it has a sing songy text. A great read.
Ann
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book for story time. The beats are cleverly disguised so that you're guessing just what farm animal might be on the next page. The animals each have their own beat from peep to jiggity jig to woof, whoo-whoo.
Rachael Scott
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
The pictures are my favorite part of this story. It would be fun to make it interactive but I am not sure that I see myself using this one for my story time. I would pull it out in a pinch but it wouldn't be my go-to.
Jenn Adams
Wasn't a be fan of this at first. Then it was requested that I read it again, and I liked it more once I let myself get into it. Then it was requested that I read it multiple more times, so it was definitely a hit haha.
Alicia Evans
For: farm animal fans; readers looking for an interactive book with rhythm.

Possible red flags: some readers may find the interpretive nature of the words to be frustrating--non-traditional narrative.
Mama Bearian
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: farm
“Chicks can’t sleep. Chicks can’t sleep. Chicks can’t sleep ‘cause they got that beat!” The natural rhythm of this book will have you and your kiddo bopping along as the farm animals (and eventually Farmer Sue) join in.
Ginny Daniels
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Like a rap song, almost, with the way the perfect rhythm helps you read the story at a fun pace. Also, fun to guess the next animal based on predictive rhyming.
Jo Oehrlein
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun rhyming book about all the animals who can't sleep.

The illustrations are collages that look like many are made of corrugated paper.
Ellie  Dynek
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reminded me of Sandra Boynton's "Barnyard Dance", just a charming and delightful book :)
Heather Tyminski
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
This book is so much fun to read -- it has a wonderfully lyrical rhythm. I really like the cubist inspired illustrations too.
Matt Alvarez
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heidi
Really fun to read with my 2yo!
Chelsea
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it

TO READ/SING: During Toddler Time and Preschool Play.
Donna Mork
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute story about farm animals that can't sleep because they got that beat. In the end....they get some sleep.
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for a toddler. My daughter loved the rhymes, the sounds, and the bright, colorful mixed media illustrations.
Kimberly
Fantastically fun! Used for preschool springtime storytime on 5/9/18. I gave the kids maracas to shake as I read it and they got a kick out of that.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Wow! Said the Owl
  • Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3
  • Night Animals
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • Planting a Rainbow
  • The Watermelon Seed
  • Duck! Rabbit!
  • It Came in the Mail
  • A Book of Sleep
  • Good News, Bad News
Lindsey Craig  is the author of the award winning books: DANCING FEET and FARMYARD BEAT both illustrated by Marc Brown. Her books have won numerous awards and been highly praised by Kirkus Review (starred), Publisher Weekly and the New York Times Book Review; her awards include: NAAPA Gold Award Winner, Fred Rogers Best Baby Books 2011, Wilde Award Best Children’s Books, and inclusion in Texas 2X2 ...more