Start by marking “The Life Eaters” as Want to Read:
The Life Eaters

The Life Eaters

An incredibly imaginative tale that used stunning artwork to explore germany's embracement of neromancy to win World War II. In this story Hitler devises and unholy plot that pits the ancient Norse gods against the Allied forces, but the plan quickly backfires and Gemany becomes involved in a truly epic war.
Published November 1st 2004 by WildStorm (first published November 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Life Eaters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life Eaters

Start your review of The Life Eaters
Stephen
5.0 stars. This is one of the BEST comic/graphic novels I have ever read. That is not an idle comment as I have read quite a few, including many of the ones that are the most higly rated. This amazing story holds its own with all of them in my opinion.

Adapted and expanded by David Brin from his Hugo nominated nevella called "Thor versus Captain America" the basic premise is that the Nazi's, on the eve of losing World War II, discover a way to "conjure" and create an unholy alliance with the Nors
Gianfranco Mancini

"Fatherland" meets "Norse Mythology" in a thrilling uchronic graphic novel, but the ending of this adaption of the novella Thor Meets Captain America by sci-fi author David Brin was just too much abrubt and unsatisfactory for me.

Really have to look for the book sooner or later.

El_Commutador
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This comic book is both an extension and a sequel, of David Brin's novella 'Thor Meets Captain America'.

The story is set in an alternative post-WWII scenario, with a fantastical twist that makes it very different than works such as 'The Man in the High Castle'.

Also, while the novella was a short and quick read, compelling and worth the time I spend reading it, the comic book is even better, thanks to the amazing art by Scott Hampton, with fine lettering by Todd Klein.
Timothy Boyd
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very different comic story. Great plot by SiFi Writer David Brin. If you are looking for a different comic read this is very recommended.
Trike
This is an adaptation and expansion of David Brin’s excellent short story “Thor Meets Captain America” from his 1986 collection The River of Time. Although the title of that story would lead one to conclude that it’s about the Marvel characters, it is not. This Thor is the brutal mythological one, working in concert with the Nazis. However, the story does align with Marvel’s underlying theme that ordinary people can be heroes and that greatness is an ideal we should all aspire to.

The first part
Angela
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did I read this because of the Norse god standing next to Hitler on top of dead soldiers pictured on the cover? Certainly. The idea that Hitler, in his belief of mysticism, called on the Aesir to help him win the war is a fascinating supposition. I really enjoyed the addition of gods from multiple faiths. The fact David Brin who wrote The Postman wrote this comic helped.
I thought the book would be hokey and fun but it ended less hokey and entertaining. The book reminded me a bit of American God
Simon
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recent Reads: The Life Eaters. David Brin expands his short story Thor vs Captain America into a graphic novel. Humanity and Enlightenment against the old gods; an explicit political fantasy that pits reason against unreason in a tale for our times. Scott Hampton's art excels.
Eva Kenieva
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loki
NOT A MARVEL COMIC. The first section of this graphic novel is an adaptation of David Brin’s short story Thor Meets Captain America and the rest is a sequel to it. Despite the Marvel-ous title, it is not about the Marvel characters. It’s an alternate history story in which the Nazis won by enlisting the help of the Norse gods. Loki defects to the Allies but is still self-serving and devious and the Allies cannot trust his help despite how much they need it. Fans of movie and myth Loki will appre ...more
Matthew Kresal
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of alternate history, graphic novels, and mythology, The Life Eaters makes for a fascinating read. Part "what if the Nazis won the Second World War?" tale, another part superhero story, part Gaiman-esque exploration of the realms of Norse myth (and, eventually, beyond), it's a genuine epic from writer David Brin. Scott Hampton's artwork brings the characters and locations of his writing to life, offering a sense of the familiar alongside the utterly fantastical. Indeed, that might sum u ...more
Patrick Adekunle
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
"Legends walk and the world shakes."

This was an amazing graphic novel. It explores the romanticism-enlightenment discussion, but in a novel way - looking at our fixation on charismatic personages, stars, heroes, kings, demigods and gods to the detriment of our collective human potential, our ability to work together to create new possibilites and technologies.

I especially loved how the author used myths to emphasize how much more humankind could be if we worked together and not let ourselves be
Mamading
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wisdom, graphic-novel
Nazis win WW2 by recruiting the Norse Gods.

Suitably pulpy premise masks a deeply humanist perspective that only fully reveals itself towards the end but runs through the entire book. Plenty of action and intrigue to hold the interest even while communicating the message.

I would say this is better that 99.99% of graphic novels, it has a surprising depth!

Must read more David Brin!
Jon Nakapalau
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When the Aesir (Norse gods) decide to fight on the side of the Nazis it is Sturm und Drang for the rest of the world.
Zach
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Not sure why the author felt the need to make Nimitz an author of SF and Heinlein an admiral, but this was still great!
Sarah Barkai
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! Best alternate-timeline-where-the-Nazis-won I've read yet.
Kurt
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of David's very, very best.
Ethan
Aug 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Don't know
An odd book about what happens when Norse Gods decide to join Hitler's side just as he is almost defeated. The war turns, but how do you fight gods? It's a good story, odd but good. Brin writes a good story, but has trouble adapting to the comic medium as he turns whole pages into text. I read the books description at the end, it seems that this was a Novelia that was turned into a comic book, that would explain a lot.
Amy
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
A fascinating story idea, if a bit over-the-top and definitely not subtle in execution. Nazis use necromancy (that's what all the death camps are for) to bring the Norse gods into the world to fight for them. So World War II turns out quite a bit differently. I really liked Brin's original novella ("Thor Meets Captain America") that this was expanded from. Seeing it in graphic form (and continuing the story) is very cool.
Chris
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paper
Thor Meets Captain America was a truly excellent short story, which translated to a very good comic. The original story is part 1, and they added 2 more chapters. There are -- naturally I, suppose -- several more comic references (for a while he wears an Iron Man suit) in this graphic novelization, but as a whole it works. ...more
Hakan
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story that tries its hand at an explanation for the industrial level of murder during WWII. While the first part was amazing, the second and third parts leave a bit to be desired, and the art could have been a bit better, still the overall story gives many interesting directions of thought.
Topher
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Spawned from a David Brin short-story, what would happen if the Holocaust were part of a larger design, in which the Nazis were attempting to summon the ancient Norse gods to come back... and it worked?
Mira Domsky
Nov 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Alternate history. The Nazis summon Norse gods to help them win WWII.
Hugh
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
As with most of the Graphic Novels I rave about, this one has a unique story, great artwork, comes in hardcover, and stands alone...all things that make graphic novels an artform on their own.
Rene
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quite a nice story, about an alternate reality. What if the nordic gods had intervened in WWII and chosen the side of the Nazis? Suspenseful and well drawn/told.
Tiffany Lynn Kramer
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
No doubt that my rating is a bias one. I've loved Norse mythology since childhood and seeing a great many of those figures portrayed as the villains didn't sit well with me.
Doug
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, comics
Very good expansion of Brin's original short story, Thor vs Captain America. Artwork is great, and the story leads to a satisfying (but somewhat dismal) conclusion.
Andrew
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I have always enjoyed the creativity of David Brin and this is no exception - okay I will say at this point never has been keeping to my self imposed rule of no spoilers been so tricky - even though he has left the realms of science fiction and headed out deep in to the realms of fantasy.

First of all a little history - this book was born out of another story by Brin - Thor Meets Captain America, a short story which was nominated for the 1987 Hugo. That novella was expanded and illustrated to bec
John
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Last year, I read a very interesting short story called "Thor Meets Captain America." Despite the title, it wasn't a Marvel superhero thing, but rather an alternative history tale mixed with sci-fi and fantasy. It was nominated for a Hugo Award at one point, and later adapted and expanded into this graphic novel.
THE LIFE EATERS consists of three sections, the first being a faithful adaptation of David Brin's original story. Parts 2 & 3 then treat us to a sequel featuring new protagonists. The ad
Mouse
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
The squatting monkey-like creature yells out, "NHHHH." Then the caption mentions it being Loki's Dwarf! What kind of a way to start a comic is that and that thing is definitely not a Dwarf...unless it was tossed through a blender or something.
Then the American soldier says, "Dig it, daddy-o! There's an AES over by the scope, dope." Holy f**k, did he actually just say that? That's some bad dialogue right there and furthermore, that's beatnik slang from the 50's...not a US soldier in WWII! But th
Tom Bell
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Cool idea but ultimately kind of lame. Some of the artwork seemed a bit half-baked.
Victor Bruneski
When I read Thor Meets Captain America by David Brin, I was impressed at such an original idea for a novella. The Nazi's summon the Aesir through their death camps using necromancy. David Brin pulled it off and it was a fantastic story. Then I found out the story continues, in of all things a graphic novel called The Life Eaters.

The first part of the graphic novel retells the novella in art form. It felt as if they were just adding lines from the novella on top of art, but still entertaining. At

• Crooked River (Pendergast, #19)
  • The Buddha: The Social-Revolutionary Potential of Buddhism
  • Avengers, Volume 4: Infinity
  • The Tenant (Korner and Werner, #1)
  • Victim 2117 (Department Q, #8)
  • Mister Miracle
  • Deadpool Classic, Vol. 1
  • There Is No Antimemetics Division
  • The Doors of Eden
  • Batman: R.I.P.
  • Mystery Men
  • Oblivion Song, Vol. 2
  • House of X/Powers of X
  • Days of Burning, Days of Wrath (Carerra #8)
  • Dark Avengers: Ares
  • Fahrenheit 451: The Authorized Adaptation
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 1969
  • Promethea, Vol. 2
David Brin is a scientist, speaker, and world-known author. His novels have been New York Times Bestsellers, winning multiple Hugo, Nebula and other awards. At least a dozen have been translated into more than twenty languages.

Existence, his latest novel, offers an unusual scenario for first contact. His ecological thriller, Earth, foreshadowed global warming, cyberwarfare and near-future trends